Start by marking “The Snail's Spell” as Want to Read:
The Snail's Spell

The Snail's Spell

Brilliant illustrations and a short text invite an unnamed sleeping, pajama-clad child into a garden teeming with wildlife. The boy gradually shrinks until he is so small he experiences things as a snail would. The incredibly detailed drawings and the idea of shrinking to enter another world should capture children's imaginations.--School Library Journal.
Published May 1st 1988 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Snail's Spell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snail's Spell

C.
Nov 01, 2015 C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I encountered two books by Joanne Ryder, a creative children’s author. Lynne Cherry did the gorgeous drawings of “The Snail’s Spell” 1982. It asks us to put ourselves in a snail’s place, a worthy exercise for our imagination that brings insight into what life is like for someone structured differently than us. Joanne teaches every reader: how he moves, the way he eats, what he eats, what his body is like, and how he can protect himself by closing himself inward. I knew nothing about snails and w ...more
Jane
Young children learn by pretending so in The Snail's Spell a young girl is asked to pretend she is a snail and at each step in the pretend play, she learns more about snails. The illustrations are outstanding and very attractive for both children and adults. It is a good science lesson book about an animal that is often found in our area. The children enjoy the book and I see them pretending in their free play to copy the story, which tells me that they have learned about snails and enjoyed the ...more
Siskiyou-Suzy
I found this book a little bit confusing as I reading it. The boy imagined himself being small, but then none of the other changes actually happened. But there were also snails. So I would look from snail to boy, trying to see what I had just read about, and then be a little bit confused because I wasn't sure where to look. I just wasn't feeling it. I like the attempt, but not my thing.
Liz Todd
Such an awesome old book. We learned lots of cool things about snails AND.. had a fun time pretending to be a snail. Great for visualizing!
Margaret
This story would make a good lead-in to an active/yoga story time, or an imaginative read-aloud, in a garden, perhaps.
Tasia
This would be good for a kindergarten class. I do like stories that make kids think about those creatures with bad reputations-- snails don't strike most as being cute or relatable. I'd like to see if my class could imagine themselves being snails. Maybe then they wouldn't strike up a chorus of "ewwww!" every time they're mentioned.
Christina Robbins
Mar 07, 2013 Christina Robbins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Throughout the book it has beautiful colorful pictures of the garden. It allows the children to use their imaginations in becoming a snail. By describing step by step it allows you to actually think you are becoming a snail. I feel like the book is very calm and peaceful and you feel like you are in that garden while reading.
Kristen
Jan 28, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, picture-books
This book was given an award for an "Outstanding Science Book for Young Children" by the New York Academy of Sciences. It takes you on a journey of what it's like to be a snail in a garden. Great illustrations - and I love snails (except in my own garden). Thanks to Morgan for sending us this great book!
Turrean
Lovely for a preK storytime. Would be perfect paired with a nonfiction on snails and other garden creatures. The book lends itself to some playacting (lets be snails!)
Audra
Aug 22, 2012 Audra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved this book! when i read it as a little kid i thought it was magical. loved the illustrations inside. definitely a book id recommend to little kids.
Rachel
Use with Snail Trails lesson plan for math has an introduction.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Crhunter
Crhunter is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2016
Karen Snizek
Karen Snizek marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
J
J marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Megan Smith
Megan Smith rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Julie
Julie added it
May 04, 2016
Vu Chi
Vu Chi marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Miriam
Miriam rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Pat
Pat added it
Jan 23, 2016
Linda Stuckey
Linda Stuckey rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2016
Owen
Owen added it
Jan 14, 2016
Si Mei
Si Mei marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Joanna Ryder is an award-winning author whose books offer a unique blend of poetry and science. Her innovative Just for a Day series invites children into the world of wild animals, ranging from a sea otter to Tyrannosaurus rex. Ms. Ryder says, "Children know that my books often ask them to imagine being a different creature. So they always ask me which animal I would choose to be. I'd be a flying ...more
More about Joanne Ryder...