Start by marking “The Snail's Spell” as Want to Read:
The Snail's Spell

The Snail's Spell

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  9 reviews
"Brilliant illustrations and a short text invite an unnamed sleeping, pajama-clad child into a garden teeming with wildlife. The boy gradually shrinks until he is so small he experiences things as a snail would. The incredibly detailed drawings and the idea of shrinking to enter another world should capture children's imaginations".--School Library Journal.
Published May 1st 1988 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Snail's Spell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snail's Spell

Cheryl
Beautiful, but to be honest some kids might find it boring - the adult sharer should bring enthusiasm. I like that the child could be a girl or a boy. I do not like that (in my edition, at least), the seam brought part of the picture into the binding, including once the companion snail itself.
Liz Todd
Such an awesome old book. We learned lots of cool things about snails AND.. had a fun time pretending to be a snail. Great for visualizing!
Tasia
This would be good for a kindergarten class. I do like stories that make kids think about those creatures with bad reputations-- snails don't strike most as being cute or relatable. I'd like to see if my class could imagine themselves being snails. Maybe then they wouldn't strike up a chorus of "ewwww!" every time they're mentioned.
Christina Robbins
Throughout the book it has beautiful colorful pictures of the garden. It allows the children to use their imaginations in becoming a snail. By describing step by step it allows you to actually think you are becoming a snail. I feel like the book is very calm and peaceful and you feel like you are in that garden while reading.
Kristen
This book was given an award for an "Outstanding Science Book for Young Children" by the New York Academy of Sciences. It takes you on a journey of what it's like to be a snail in a garden. Great illustrations - and I love snails (except in my own garden). Thanks to Morgan for sending us this great book!
Turrean
Lovely for a preK storytime. Would be perfect paired with a nonfiction on snails and other garden creatures. The book lends itself to some playacting (lets be snails!)
Audra
i loved this book! when i read it as a little kid i thought it was magical. loved the illustrations inside. definitely a book id recommend to little kids.
Rachel
Use with Snail Trails lesson plan for math has an introduction.
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Chris Meier
Chris Meier marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Sf
Sf added it
Jul 29, 2014
Johnknoxpreschool
Johnknoxpreschool marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Joanna Ryder is an award-winning author whose books offer a unique blend of poetry and science. Her innovative Just for a Day series invites children into the world of wild animals, ranging from a sea otter to Tyrannosaurus rex. Ms. Ryder says, "Children know that my books often ask them to imagine being a different creature. So they always ask me which animal I would choose to be. I'd be a flying...more
More about Joanne Ryder...
Panda Kindergarten Won't You Be My Hugaroo? Won't You Be My Kissaroo? Bear of My Heart Where Butterflies Grow