Start by marking “Pure Simple Cooking: Effortless Meals Every Day” as Want to Read:
Pure Simple Cooking: Effortless Meals Every Day

Pure Simple Cooking: Effortless Meals Every Day

Pure. Simple. Fresh.

This is the mantra of award-winning cookbook author Diana Henry. With a few core ingredients in your cupboard, you can transform humble staples, such as sausages, potatoes, and summer berries, into something special. Henry shows busy home cooks how to make no-fuss meals with an appealing mix of recipes inspired by her travels in southern France, Scand
Published April 1st 2009 by Ten Speed Press (first published October 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Pure Simple Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pure Simple Cooking

Christina
Oct 18, 2014 Christina rated it really liked it
After decades of cooking, I now try few new cookbooks. This one was recommended by my foodie daughter, who is herself a superb cook. (The only difference between Jessy and a professional chef is that, when she feeds you, money doesn't change hands.)

The book was recommended based on my own needs: simple preparation, commonly available ingredients, not much time or labor involved, yet superior, somewhat rustic results. Diana Henry's book does deliver that. I have tried several recipes, and, excep
Beka
Jan 24, 2017 Beka rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Definitely simple, but nothing that jumped out at me.
Cynthia
Funny, a friend was pointing out that Europeans have a more intimate knowledge of liquor than do Americans, and this book seems to prove the point. Many of these recipes involve brandy, muscatel, sherry and other liquors that I definitely do not have lying around the kitchen and do not intend to buy just to cook these dishes.
Having said that,this is an interesting if imperfect book. Her concept is great: That once you have kids, you don't have a lot of time to stand around chopping and fussing i
Meredith
Recipes I've tried from this book:

Pomegranate & Honey Glazed Chops (left off the radish & cucumber tzatziki) *****
Pork Chops with Plums & Chinese Spices *****
Italian Pork Chops with Fennel Seeds *****
Smothered Pork Chops with Mustard and Thyme Butter***** (did the quicker way by cooking with thyme sprigs and serving with mustard. Leftovers made a great fry-up)
Salsiccia Agridolce *** (could be that I used raisins instead of currants)
Baked Sausages with Chestnuts (have substituted sq
Rachel Howard-hines
Jul 13, 2011 Rachel Howard-hines rated it really liked it
This cookbook makes me look like a genius. (Albeit a very lazy genius.) Simple, easy recipes that taste complex with a minimum of ingredients. Makes a busy person look like a gourmet cook. Easy. Easy. Easy. Current favorite dishes include: trofie with shrimp, feta, parsley and lemon or zucchini with ricotta, mint and basil. For dessert in summer, the broiled apricots (substitute peaches for more sweetness) with blackberries and marscarpone.
Rabya
Nov 17, 2010 Rabya rated it really liked it
Don't read this when you are hungry- you might eat the book. Mouth watering photographs accompany easy, straight forward recipes that use everyday ingredients. Lots of roasting/oven time, and minimal preparation time required. A few recipes I plan to test out: turkish chicken with oranges and warm spices, the flavored butters, pacific lime chicken, and swedish baked beets with onions, sour cream, and dill.
Daphne Stewart
Jun 25, 2014 Daphne Stewart rated it it was amazing
I borrow many cookbooks from my local library, and enjoy perusing them, marking the "must-trys" with post-it notes, and actually trying out a new recipe or two. This is one that got bookmarked a lot! I tried a couple of recipes before I had to take it back.

Diana Henry is a well-known British chef. Like Darina Allen, another favourite, she uses local ingredients with Mediterranean and Middle Eastern spice combinations, or traditional British food with a twist.

This one's a keeper!
Danielle
Jun 07, 2009 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
I am pretty excited about this book. Very approachable, minimal prepping recipes, but still everyone has a little elegance to it. Strong on Mediterranean influence, most ingredients stock my pantry. I like the lay-out of this too. Beautiful photos, and a few recipes have other variation that accompany them. I wish that it had more vegetable recipes, although the ones it does have are great.
Elizabeth
Apr 29, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: foodies
Finally a cookbook that claims "effortless meals everyday" and means it! Not since Martha Stewart's "Every Day Food: Great Food Fast" have I been so inspired.

Simple, easy, and nourishing recipes abound in this gorgeous cookbook:

greek baked chicken in yogurt (best supper dish)

greek roast lamb on rice and spinach

spaghetti with bacon, egg, and smoked cheese

Yummy!

Courtney
Oct 13, 2012 Courtney rated it it was amazing
This looks like a really good cookbook - a lot of new recipes, not just the same ones you see all the time. A lot of the recipes are inspired by different countries methods of cooking, including ones you don't see a lot like a couple of Swedish recipes. I can't wait to try some of these out! ^_^
Megan
Aug 14, 2014 Megan rated it did not like it
Downright depressing. It was boring and uninspired, and these features were exacerbated by the gluttony of fantastic cookbooks I've had access to recently.
Angela
Apr 29, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it
Yum.
Kelley
Apr 04, 2009 Kelley rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Still some weird stuff - you'd think pure, simple cooking wouldn't be so gourmet and strange. but we did make a pasta with gorgonzola, onions and balsamic vinegar. That one's a keeper.
km
Jan 24, 2016 km rated it liked it
Some good ideas but not memorable. I appreciate the concept she discusses of less active time, more hands off time, but it's not practical for weeknights for many people who work outside the home.
Lynn
Lynn rated it did not like it
Sep 07, 2016
Kay
Kay rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2017
Renee
Renee rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2017
Aidan
Aidan rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Debbie Middleton
Debbie Middleton rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Cathy
Cathy rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2014
Lara
Lara rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Katey501
Katey501 rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2013
Charles Green
Charles Green rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Dan Boardman
Dan Boardman rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2016
April
April rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2010
Bree
Bree rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2012
sally johnson
sally johnson rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Sally
Sally rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2017
Madwen
Madwen rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015