Start by marking “Hello Baby!” as Want to Read:
Hello Baby!

Hello Baby!

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,025 Ratings  ·  128 Reviews
After meeting a bevy of baby animals— including a clever monkey, a sleepy leopard, and a dusty lion cub—the baby in this story discovers the most precious creature of all . . . itself, of course! With an exuberant rhyming text by bestselling author Mem Fox and adorable cut-paper illustrations by Caldecott Honor recipient Steve Jenkins, this book is an irresistible celebrat ...more
Published May 5th 2009 by Beach Lane Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Hello Baby!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hello Baby!

14 Cows for America by Carmen Agra DeedyThe Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyThe Curious Garden by Peter  BrownMoonshot by Brian FlocaRed Sings from Treetops by Joyce Sidman
2010 Caldecott Hopefuls
25th out of 60 books — 158 voters
Possum Magic by Mem FoxDiary of a Wombat by Jackie FrenchAnimalia by Graeme BaseWhere is the Green Sheep? by Mem FoxWhere the Forest Meets the Sea by Jeannie Baker
Best Australian literature for children
54th out of 282 books — 143 voters

More lists with this book...

Tasha
May 05, 2009 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Take two amazing children’s book creators and put them together and you get a treat like this book. The book starts with a simple question, “Hello, baby! Who are you?” It moves from one animal guess to the next with each animal doing an action that children will love to imitate. Fox has created a joyous bouncing verse that romps from one animal to the next with great merriment. Paired with the amazing paperwork art of Jenkins, the book is taken to another level.

As I read this book, my mind imme
Karen
Nov 27, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
This book is full of all kinds of different babies -- what's not to love?
Jenny
Sep 29, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it
I love Mem Fox. I love, love Steve Jenkins. So how could I not love this cute rhyming book from this pair? The simple rhymes illustrate the many types of baby you might be...

Are you an eagle, exploring the skies?
Perhaps you're a gecko with rolling eyes.

And the illustrations are amazing, just as Steve Jenkins illustrations always are.

My 5 year old liked this book quite a bit, and I am sure it would be an even bigger hit with babies and toddlers.
Julie
Jul 15, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
Lovely simple rhymes, comparing baby animals to the human baby that this mother is talking to. Endearing with gorgeous illustrations.
Mary Ann
May 10, 2009 Mary Ann rated it it was amazing
Mem Fox is truly one of my favorite authors for young children. She has such a gift of language, creating beautiful rhymes that carry you along, but keeping it simple enough to capture a young child's imagination. With her newest book, Hello Baby!, she has teamed with the imaginative artist Steve Jenkins to create a vibrant, engaging book for young children (ages 2 - 4).

"Hello, baby! Who are you?" begins this book, with a picture of a baby's hand and a monkey's tail, enticing you to turn the pag
Meghan Douglas-Dowling
Feb 09, 2013 Meghan Douglas-Dowling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
We've had "Hello Baby!" on loan from the library for less than a week and it's already become a go to favourite for my 15 month old son.

The simple white background highlights Steve Jenkins' beautiful, bright illustrations. The inclusion of a silhouette for each animal seems to particularly please my son, who delights in identifying the eagle ("bird!").

While most of the rhymes throughout the story are well considered, the ending is a little awkward to read for anyone who does 't make use of the
Amy Forrester
Aug 30, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
What kind of baby are you? Are you a monkey baby with clever toes or a hippo baby with yawning jaws? An elephant? A warthog? Maybe a zebra? A lion? Finally, the book asks,

“Then who are you, baby?
Wait, let me guess –
Are you my treasure?
The answer is…Yes!”

Simple, but descriptive questions comprise the text of this large, square book. The text and illustrations are set off against a pure white background, making it easier for babies and toddlers to focus. Jenkins’ signature paper collage illustrat
Author Groupie
May 30, 2011 Author Groupie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddos-favorites
Mem Fox's Hello Baby! offers a simple, yet effective first look at animals through colorful illustrations set against a clean, white backdrop. Direct questions to the reader are followed by rhyming responses on adjacent pages. Without a doubt, the cadence of this story engages the young reader.
Initially, the zoo comes to mind as a means of experiencing this children's book. However, with 91 degree weather looming outside, Momma decides to come up with a cool plan B. Thus, The Painted Zebra, an
Olesya Johnson
Sep 29, 2014 Olesya Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: peer-instructor
This book contains large colorful pictures of animals on a white background, with one-sentence questions on each page. The book is given rhythm by use of rhyming words that pair animals on two consecutive pages. Animal names are associated with pictures and some attribute of the animal or its environment. It is a great book to teach children their animals. The summary of this book is that the child is not an animal, they are their parents “treasures”.

Carry Raby
Read.... and read again... and again...
My 8 month old loves this book. It's her favourite. She can't wait to turn the page to see the next animal, and looks up expectantly for each animal noise (not included with book. Practice your "gecko with rolling eyes" as I was stumped!) We've been reading this for months, so I would say its suitable for younger babies too.
Lovely illustrations and simple, rhythmic, rhyming text. (-:
Raina
May 26, 2010 Raina rated it really liked it
Shelves: e, animals
Mem Fox and Steve Jenkins make a lovely team. Fox’s simple language text blends exceedingly well with Jenkin’s clean paper-collage illustrations. Here, they introduce a new animal baby on each page. Most of the animals live in savanna or jungle settings and it’s mesmerizing to examine each animal’s layers of intricately cut paper elements. The only weakness here is the second to last page. The text here is “Then who are you baby?/Wait, let me guess--/Are you my treasure?/The answer is...” The pi ...more
Paula Heller
This is a great short story for very young children such as toddlers and preschoolers, because the story uses simple words to describe the animals in the book, and because the illustrations on each page are very realistic and vivid. Each page is made into a guessing game, it makes your child think of all the different animals out there. Once they learn they are the most important treasure on the planet, it gives them self-confidence. The book is also full of fun animal movements that you and yo ...more
Tiffany
Jan 22, 2015 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What are you, baby? Numerous pages unfold of different types of animals in the middle of something (like an eagle flying). Used it during baby storytime and it was challenging to keep the babies attention. Probably more suitable to toddlers around 2 years old and above. Wonderful illustrations that spread across the two pages.
Natalie Pietro
Feb 18, 2014 Natalie Pietro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, nicos-bookshelf
My son found this book so funny. It goes hello, Baby! Who are you? Are you a monkey with clever toes and so on with a new animal every time. Well after every question my son replayed no and laughed and laughed. Such a cute book. Can't believe we had it almost a year before we read it. Great book to read to your little ones.
Chantana
This book can help young children appreciate who they are. All the animals in this book are special and unique, and when the baby see this he realizes he is ok being who he is. The illustrations alone can be a lesson on the different colors. This book has an amazing variety of early learning lessons!
Sujeewa Ranasinghe
Sep 26, 2014 Sujeewa Ranasinghe rated it it was amazing
"Hello Baby" is a lovely book to read aloud for young children and it has more vocabulary to listen and learn. Children can learn animal's name and illustrations also help to understand that animals. Rhyming words improve children's interest to read this book.
Alise Durkota
This book would be wonderfully paired with Biggest, Strongest, Fastest (They're both Illustrated by Steve Jenkins). These books are siple and great read alouds for younger children as they begin to discover how ilustrations help tell the story- there are simple rhyming words that could be used to teach rhyming techniques and "tricks" for how to tell if words may rhyme (k-2nd).

BUT, they could also be used in 3rd-5th grade to talk about how authors and illustrators "work", how they write (use in c
Ayana
Oct 02, 2014 Ayana rated it liked it
Shelves: peer-instructor
The book was very cute for younger children. I enjoyed how the story developed and went through the different types of animals. Even though the pages are simply illustrated the animals have detail. I like how the book unfolds to leave a cute surprise.
Jane Njoroge
Mar 11, 2016 Jane Njoroge rated it it was amazing

Hello Baby
by mem Fox
The book is entertaining,age appropriate and involving.After meeting a lot of baby animals— including a clever monkey, a sleepy leopard, and a dusty lion cub—the baby in this story discovers the most precious creature of all is it itself, of course.
Jenna
I couldn't think of corresponding noises / actions for the parents to do with the babies while reading this, so it might have had a different cast. But I did a pretty decent hippopotamus yawn.

The big colorful pictures were a hit, though.
Donna Smith
Oct 02, 2014 Donna Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: peer-instructure
I enjoyed this book and the imagery that Mem Fox depictions of the animals in Hello Baby. This book will help children to identify who they are in the family and how important they are. Children can imitate the sounds of what each animal makes.
Kelly Carey
Sep 20, 2014 Kelly Carey rated it really liked it
Mem Fox knows how to make the words flow so that the rhyme seems to accidentally happen. With a simple romp through the animal kingdom she puts the heartstring pull lovingly on the final page ensuring that her book, like her message, is a treasure.
Russell
Aug 20, 2014 Russell rated it liked it
Amusingly illustrated, but the narrator is as out of touch as Professor Oak. "Are you a boy or a girl?" You're the world renowned expert on Pokémon, but you can't gender the neighborhood child? Is the narrator of this novel trapped in Plato's Cave?
Elizabeth Brown
This is an adorable book that I would read to babies and toddlers. At the same time, I could also teach them about the different animals in the book and the sounds they make. This book helps young children to know how special they are.
Jacqueline Lewis
Sep 27, 2014 Jacqueline Lewis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: peer-instructor
I think this book is just amazing. It is a simple book with vibrant pictures that will capture the heart and attention of young children. I truly enjoy the rhymes in the book and would use this book to teach words that rhyme.
Heloise
May 01, 2015 Heloise rated it really liked it
Adorable book about baby animals. The illustrations are gorgeous! Every page hints at an animal, so it's fun to point the little creatures out and make noises. The ending is a little lame, although some might think it's cute. All in all, a really cute book that animal lovers will find delightful!
Tiffany Clarke
Apr 27, 2015 Tiffany Clarke added it
Shelves: k-2
-beautiful illustrations and simple rhymes show animal babies

Pre-K-K
rhyme, animals, mixed media illustrations, rich language and tier 2 words
Rebecca
Nov 23, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Mem Fox and Steve Jenkins at their best. Fun repeating rhyme text with great animal collage illustrations for baby.
Melody Harmon
Aug 27, 2014 Melody Harmon rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute book! Great pictures to keep kids entertained. It has short little messages on each page.
earthy
Dec 05, 2009 earthy rated it liked it
A variety of animal babies are discussed in rhyming text, but the human baby is the most precious of all.

Jenkins' trademark cut paper collages draw the eye with fabulous textures and lifelike representations of animals. Everything from skin to hair to fur is lovingly detailed. Images generally take up a full page with the text on the accompanying page.

Jenkins' astoundingly lifelike collages steal the show from the simple, comparatively uninspired text. The reassuring nod to a parent's love for h
  • Hello, Day!
  • Move!
  • Monkey And Me
  • Toot Toot Beep Beep
  • The Baby Goes Beep
Mem Fox was born in Australia, grew up in Africa, studied drama in England, and returned to Adelaide, Australia in 1970, where she has lived with her husband, Malcolm, and daughter Chloë, happily ever after.

Mem Fox is Australia’s most highly regarded picture-book author. Her first book, Possum Magic, is the best selling children’s book ever in Australia, with sales of over three million. And in th
More about Mem Fox...