Start by marking “A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness” as Want to Read:
A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness

A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  251 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
A work to encourage and inspire, this book offers anecdotes and stories grounded in the everyday and drawn from the author's 25-years' experience of teaching and practising Buddhist meditation.
Published March 30th 1999 by Shambhala Publications (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Heart as Wide as the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Heart as Wide as the World

Siddhartha by Hermann HesseThe Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama XIVZen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu SuzukiWhen Things Fall Apart by Pema ChödrönPeace Is Every Step by Thích Nhất Hạnh
A Buddhist Reading List
204th out of 655 books — 816 voters
Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu SuzukiYoga and Vipassana by Amit RayThe Myth of Freedom and the Way of Meditation by Chögyam TrungpaInstruction Manual for the 21st Century Samurai by Alexei Maxim RussellNothing Special by Charlotte Joko Beck
Eastern Mindfulness comes West
31st out of 98 books — 84 voters

More lists with this book...

Mckinley
Feb 13, 2015 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Short essays she makes about her world and experiences in a Buddhist framework.
Bruce
Reading this is a very mixed experience for me. I hate the writing. I find it quite banal, quotidian, and served up in toilet reading 1-2 page chapters. The reading experience is very aggravating. And yet after reading it for a bit later I find myself in a lovely post meditation state of being. Maybe it was the book, maybe not. But since one can find more interesting writing that also uplifts, why bother with this? Good for non compulsive readers, perhaps.
Jesse Passler
Jun 11, 2014 Jesse Passler rated it did not like it
Was unable to finish - have not been the biggest fan of the two works I've read of Sharon Salzberg. She seems to talk a lot about herself and never arrive at any real point.
Lynda
Nov 07, 2009 Lynda rated it it was amazing
I love this book and reread it periodically. I have it on my nightstand. I felt the need to revisit it's pages after losing my nephew and my high school friend. It was time for introspection and centering again. I recommend it to anyone open to Eastern thought.
Gemma Williams
May 06, 2008 Gemma Williams rated it really liked it
This lovely collection of reflections by Sharon Salzberg covers many aspects of the Buddhist path which special but not exclusive reference to metta.The pieces are concise,warm and wise. Perfect retreat reading.
Richard
Mar 13, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
As always, Sharon Salzberg provides us with grist for the mill. If you're interested in Buddhist meditation, you'd be hard pressed to find a better guide.
Jill
Aug 11, 2009 Jill rated it it was amazing
I just attended a meditation retreat with Sharon Salzburg, this book captures that retreat.

Lovingkindness towards every living being, including ourselves.
Karen Rose Ginman
Mar 15, 2011 Karen Rose Ginman rated it it was amazing
Another amazing Jew who is a Buddhist! Seriously amazing.
Mariana
Jul 13, 2011 Mariana rated it really liked it
Good book, easy to read, helpful on the path.
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
janine
janine marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Meera Menon
Meera Menon marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
C
C marked it as to-read
Roberta Weiner
Roberta Weiner is currently reading it
Deb Chittick
Deb Chittick marked it as to-read
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Hannah Ziegler
Hannah Ziegler marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Alicia Chau
Alicia Chau marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Prince Saini
Prince Saini rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Andrea D
Andrea D marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Susan Injaian
Susan Injaian marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
William Hecht
William Hecht marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Usha K
Usha K marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
  • Insight Meditation: A Psychology of Freedom
  • Food for the Heart: The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah
  • The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace
  • Work as a Spiritual Practice: A Practical Buddhist Approach to Inner Growth and Satisfaction on the Job
  • Being Nobody, Going Nowhere: Meditations on the Buddhist Path
  • Great Eastern Sun: The Wisdom of Shambhala
  • The Energy of Prayer: How to Deepen Your Spiritual Practice
  • Buddha or Bust: In Search of Truth, Meaning, Happiness, and the Man Who Found Them All
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • Awake at Work: 35 Practical Buddhist Principles for Discovering Clarity and Balance in the Midst of Work's Chaos
  • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
  • Awakening Loving-Kindness
  • Sweeping Changes:  Discovering the Joy of Zen in Everyday Tasks
  • Indestructible Truth: The Living Spirituality of Tibetan Buddhism
  • Infinite Life
  • Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life
One of America’s leading spiritual teachers and authors, Sharon Salzberg is cofounder of the Insight Meditation Society (IMS) in Barre, Massachusetts. She has played a crucial role in bringing Asian meditation practices to the West. The ancient Buddhist practices of vipassana (mindfulness) and metta (lovingkindness) are the foundations of her work.
More about Sharon Salzberg...

“As we practice meditation, we get used to stillness and eventually are able to make
friends with the quietness of our sensations.”
13 likes
“The movement of the heart as we practice generosity in the outer world mirrors the movement of the heart when we let go of conditioned views about ourselves on our inner journey. Letting go creates a joyful sense of space in our minds” 12 likes