Start by marking “Jesus: A Meditation on His Stories and His Relationships with Women” as Want to Read:
Jesus: A Meditation on His Stories and His Relationships with Women

Jesus: A Meditation on His Stories and His Relationships with Women

"We must begin our story of Jesus by granting him permission to surprise us endlessly...." ---from the Introduction

Jesus of Galilee taught through stories, which even today contain the power to startle us out of our prejudices and preconceptions. Now Father Andrew M. Greeley, one of America's most beloved storytellers, examines the parables told by Jesus in search of a ful
Published November 3rd 2009 by Forge Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesus

Mobill76
Mar 19, 2011 Mobill76 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, you can't go wrong with the subject. And I like that Greeley mapped out where he was going in the introduction so that I couldn't take issue later. I don't agree with a lot of the places he took me and I have greater respect for the work of Kazantzakis and Tim Rice (JC Superstar). Heck, dissing JC Superstar will cost you a star from me in any book. At the same time Greeley wants to introduce the novelty that Jesus might have been sexually attracted to women. I didn't really understand his ...more
Theresa
In this book, Father Greeley exams the parables told by Jesus and gives context, background and very often new understandings to the meanings of the parables. One important point about the parables that many people seem to not understand is that they are not allegories.

He also exams the stories of Jesus interactions with women, including his mother and, again, gives context, background and new understanding to these relationships. He also points out that there are several Marys in the gospel wri
Channing
Jun 17, 2015 Channing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given it five stars, but the author was a little lengthy in his explanations. I also could have done without the re-caps of all the parables he went through and explained. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed his viewpoints and especially loved the chapter on Christ's relationships with women. It was incredibly eye-opening! Highly suggest, even for wading through some excess wordiness.
Colleen
Jul 27, 2011 Colleen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Just started reading this and it is fantastic! Very different genre from his historic romances, but packed with amazing facts and insights by a personable, intelligent man, nonetheless! Love you, Father Greeley. Wish you well in a speedy recovery and lots more terrific years. We are so blessed to know you!
Anne
Apr 10, 2010 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First 40 pages or so were rather slow but the rest of the book was interesting.
Linda
Aug 28, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never read Andrew Greeley. This is a book that views all sides of the parable The greatests.
Kay Vanatta
Jun 06, 2012 Kay Vanatta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fantastic - might have to actually buy this one to have on hand for a re-read!
Angela
Mar 25, 2009 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An astute exploration of an extravagant God via Jesus' parables.
Simone
Mar 29, 2009 Simone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a very good insightful book. Gave a new perspective on who Jesus was and what He was like, especially how He was when talking with women. I highly recommend the book.
Maggie
Feb 13, 2009 Maggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
second read. good. clear. insightful. i particularly like the theme of "if God isn't surprising you, you're not paying attention"
Jorge
Jorge rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2008
richard crouse
richard crouse rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Dennis Dillon
Dennis Dillon rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2015
Monique
Monique rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2009
Doreen
Doreen rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Gigs
Gigs rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2011
Charlie
Charlie rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2012
Doofenshmirtz
Doofenshmirtz rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2009
Sue Erdman
Sue Erdman rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2013
Tony
Tony rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Lucy Bilik
Lucy Bilik rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Mary Anne
Mary Anne rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Jamespc
Jamespc rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Dave Garnand
Dave Garnand rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2011
Sophie N
Sophie N rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2017
Merrie
Merrie rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2007
Sombiemom
Sombiemom rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2008
Gracielou
Gracielou rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2008
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...