Start by marking “Death: The High Cost of Living” as Want to Read:
Death: The High Cost of Living

Death: The High Cost of Living (Death of the Endless #1)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  34,210 Ratings  ·  433 Reviews
/Neil Gaiman /Dave McKean, Chris Bachalo and /Mark Buckingham, illustrators From the pages of THE SANDMAN LIBRARY Neil Gaiman tells the story of the one day every hundred years when Death, older sister of The Sandman, walks among humans to gain a better understanding of.
Published January 1st 1994 by DC Comics Vertigo (first published May 1993)

Alejandro
Deadly brilliant!!!

This is a collected edition of the story “Death: The High Cost of Living” which includes “Death talks about Life” which is a health pamphlet about how to have safe sex, and also there is a brief guide-like about the appearance of “Death” in the pages of “The Sandman”. Also it has an introduction written by the musician Tori Amos.

Creative Team:

Writer: Neil Gaiman

Illustrators: Chris Bachalo (main story) & Dave McKean (additional health info)

Letterer: Todd Klein (since he i
Patrick
Dec 27, 2014 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's strange. Gaiman's Sandman is a far better story overall than his death books. But I think Death herself is a much better character.
Dfordoom
Apr 11, 2008 Dfordoom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This graphic novel seems to me to be all too typical of Gaiman’s work. It’s slick, but there’s not really terribly much to it. There are good ideas but he doesn’t do much with them. It’s not that it’s bad, it isn’t. It’s just not as good as you’d hoped it would be after reading the cover blurb. The idea is great: for one day every century Death becomes a mortal, walking among us, so that she can understand what it is that she takes away from us. The character of Death herself is marvellous – I l ...more
Anthony Vacca
I would date Death.
Justin
It is nothing short of criminal that I call myself a comic reader and yet have never read any of Gaiman’s Sandman books. I actually have the first volume at home ready to read, but thanks to my involvement with a comic book discussion group, this one ended up being my introduction to the Sandman universe, instead.

Other readers have claimed this book has problems as a standalone book, but I found it to read quite nicely on its own. The book largely centers on a depressed teenager named Sexton’s e
Clara Lis
May 16, 2016 Clara Lis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, estantería
Me salvó la vida.
Afro Madonna ✨
Mindless multiple gasporgasms.
Airiz C
“It would be really neat if death was somebody, and not just nothing, or pain, or blackness. And it would be really good if death could be somebody like Didi. Somebody funny, and friendly, and nice, and maybe just a tiny bit crazy.”

Sexton Furnival, one of the main characters of Death: The High Cost of Living, shares this sentiment with me—and perhaps also with legions of other Sandman readers when they meet Death of the Endless for the first time in Preludes and Nocturnes. It’s a nice thought, o
Mohammed Al-Garawi
Never thought I'd say this, but man I love Death.
Craig Williams
Aug 12, 2009 Craig Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only thing I like more than Dream, is Death. Hmm, maybe I should explain the context of that statement. Neil Gaiman's Sandman comic book series (which is profoundly good - read it right the fuck now) centers around a family of immortal beings called The Endless. The Endless are not gods - they simply personify certain aspects of reality, such as Dream, Death, Desire, Destruction, Delirium, Destiny, and Despair. Being entitled "The Sandman", the series focuses on Dream, however his sister, De ...more
Rebeca
Dec 09, 2015 Rebeca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very small story and a very sweet story. I've always found Gaiman's personification of Death to be one of the most unique approaches to the concept, and because she's such a delightful character, it's easy to just watch her go on for a day as she takes a stroll amidst humanity.

I did, sadly, find myself bored at times, or found that my mind wandered away from the (rather simple) narrative. Nonetheless it held my attention and kept me entertained--and I will absolutely adore this charact
Christina
Nov 24, 2007 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2007
Death and Sandman was my introduction to the world of graphic novels and - well, it's pretty much the only graphic novels I've read... But they're amazing!
Love Death - love the fact that she gets to live once every hundred years and then uses it to the fullest - to eat hot dogs and appels other food! And how she just love life! In theory these stories should be dark and gloomy, but they're not - they're actually very life-affirming and humoristic!
Brooke
This three-issue book chronicles one of Death's once-per-century days as a mortal, and while it was enjoyable, it just left me wanting a bit more.
Stephanie (R-A)
Sep 20, 2016 Stephanie (R-A) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had heard good things about Neil Gaiman's Death character and I was not disappointed. She is exactly the opposite of how one might expect Death to behave. I liked all of the characters around her almost as much as her.

Sexton is sort of your typical teenager who has lost a sense of magic in the world. Nothing is interesting anymore and he doesn't quite know how to cope with it. In that sense, Death is his perfect companion because she sees magic in everything. I loved the juxtaposition of the
Kenny Mitchell
Jun 23, 2013 Kenny Mitchell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life is a beautiful thing, but you know what? So is death. In the trade paperback (orginally a limited series, but collected here in one volume) Death is personfied by a perky, sociable & downright lovable young goth girl.

I won't give too much away but if you've followed the Sandman Series which the character is derived Death (personified as the young girl Didi) is the phyiscal manifestation and a member of the Endless (the actual representations of war, dreams, delirium & yes death). D
Will
May 10, 2012 Will rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a time when comic books were about all I would read. Luckily, over time I got tired of the more formulaic superhero titles, and acquired a taste for the more literary stuff. This was my favorite story arc by Neil Gaiman. It was also one of the first things I read that had a strong, smart female character, so it may have helped to erode some of the archaic stereotypes that young people are often fooled by.

Gaiman's wonderful conceit is that destiny is governed by a bureaucracy of differ
Icats
Feb 01, 2010 Icats rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
2009 had some of the best of times but it also had a ton of the worst of times for my family. That is why I thought it appropriate for the last book of my 2009 reading to be the graphic novel, Death: The High Cost of Living by Neil Gaiman with illustrations from Dave McKean, Chris Bachalo and Mark Buckingham. Finished it at 11:45pm on New Years Eve. Yes that is right, I am such a party animal.

As usual, Mr. Gaiman does not disappoint. Death: The High Cost of Living centers around Sandman’s sister
Bunny
Apr 08, 2010 Bunny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-10
It is the curse of The Sandman series, and it's offshoots, that they are fast reads. I zoomed through this so fast, and then got very sad because it was over.

There aren't words for how much I adore the character of Death. I've loved her since her first appearance in The Sandman series, and finding out there were novels based solely on her made me squeal with glee. My library not having either of them made me not so squealy. Thank you, ILL! Worth the $2 fee.

This story was so lovely. She's so play
Jacquelyn
Dec 04, 2012 Jacquelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: belong-to-adam
Death was my favorite part of Sandman in Preludes & Nocturnes. I enjoyed that story but the art really got on my nerves. I couldn't get over the fact that Dream looked like a cross between Peter Pan and KISS, and the whole technicolor thing was too bright for me. But when Death showed up, I thought, "Ah, here's the story I was looking for."

So when I saw Death: The High Cost of Living on Adam's bookshelf, and it looked like a pretty short book, it was a no-brainer.

The art didn't bother me a
Jonathan
Oct 04, 2009 Jonathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I was very disappointed indeed. Death was, as always, a fantastic character; but the story to her spin-off just wasn't that interesting. It just felt like so much more could have been done with the concept of Death living one day as a human. There was never any true sense of urgency; it wasn't terribly funny. There were cute details and lines, of course. Death deserves a tale as epic as her brother Dream's; but while Dream has had many epic tales in "The Sandman" saga, "Death: The High ...more
Meagan
Death is one of my favorite characters in Sandman, and I don't think I'm alone in that. Of course I also love Dream, but there's something about this particular portrayal of Death that's just irresistible. The menacing grim reaper and the weeping angel and all the other popular manifestations of Death are unsatisfying next to the goth girl with the perpetually cheery disposition and the unending appreciation for life.

It was nice revisiting her, but I still prefer her appearances in Sandman.
Nikki
Death: The High Cost of Living is a short and sweet little comic, featuring Death as she appears in The Sandman, but as the star. None of the other Endless appear, instead it follows Death during her one day in a hundred years of being a mortal. It's a pretty simple little story: it's interesting because it stars Death, who as a character is awesome, but the story itself isn't dazzling. The art is nice and the bonus story where Death talks about STDs and such is fun, but in itself, it isn't dazz ...more
Laura Moore
***actual rating 2.5***

This is the first graphic novel I've ever read and it wasn't as bad as I was anticipating. I'm doing a reading challenge that requires me to read a graphic novel so I picked this up.

I was never really into the story fully and I don't think it's converted me to a graphic novel lover.
Matthew Hedgecock
May 22, 2016 Matthew Hedgecock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short but enjoyable read about a day in the life of everyone's favorite sunny-spirited soul-collecting goth girl. Not up to snuff with the best Death material in the SANDMAN series but who doesn't enjoy spending time with Death in any comic?
Feather Mista
Mar 03, 2010 Feather Mista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todo el mundo.
Recommended to Feather by: Val
Edición hardcover releído el año pasado y el único tomo de Sandman que tengo en este formato. Linda historia de la Eterna favorita del público (no mía, aunque me cae bastante bien). Cuando lo rerrelea seguro lo rerreseñe. Soy un cara dura, lo sé.
Hannah Givens
I don't know if I would've liked it so much if I didn't already know Death, but I do, and I appreciate that Gaiman didn't mess it all up by changing her characterization. She's just the same as she should be. <3
K T
Apr 08, 2015 K T rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Colleen
Oct 07, 2011 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love how Neil Gaiman created deaths character, she is such a great character. I have enjoyed every book so far with this character in it and hope to see more of her in the future.
Carl Ingebretsen
Mar 13, 2010 Carl Ingebretsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gaiman spins a fine tale about Dreams' sister in this book, but it doesn't reach the brilliancy of THE SANDMAN. Still, it's Gaiman - you're going to love it.
Bcpl
Sep 17, 2007 Bcpl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
creepy but annoying and excessively teenagerish. also seems dated.
She-Geeks: July 2015 Read: Death The High Cost of Living 1 11 Jul 10, 2015 11:20PM
  • Lucifer, Vol. 4: The Divine Comedy
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 1: Bindings
  • Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall
  • Promethea, Vol. 3
  • Strangers in Paradise, Volume 3: It's A Good Life
  • Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7: Spider's Thrash (Transmetropolitan, #7)

Death of the Endless (4 books)
  • Death: The Time of Your Life
  • A Death Gallery
  • Death: The Deluxe Edition

“On bad days I talk to Death constantly, not about suicide because honestly that's not dramatic enough. Most of us love the stage and suicide is definitely your last performance and being addicted to the stage, suicide was never an option - plus people get to look you over and stare at your fatty bits and you can't cross your legs to give that flattering thigh angle and that's depressing. So we talk. She says things no one else seems to come up with, like let's have a hotdog and then it's like nothing's impossible.

She told me once there is a part of her in everyone, though Neil believes I'm more Delirium than Tori, and Death taught me to accept that, you know, wear your butterflies with pride. And when I do accept that, I know Death is somewhere inside of me. She was the kind of girl all the girls wanted to be, I believe, because of her acceptance of "what is." She keeps reminding me there is change in the "what is" but change cannot be made till you accept the "what is.”
131 likes
“Over the last few hours I've allowed myself to feel defeated, and just like she said if you allow yourself to feel the way you really feel, maybe you won't be afraid of that feeling anymore.” 29 likes