Start by marking “Garram the Hunter: A Boy of the Hill Tribes” as Want to Read:
Garram the Hunter: A Boy of the Hill Tribes

Garram the Hunter: A Boy of the Hill Tribes

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  9 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Garram, son of the chief of the Hillmen tribe, is forced to flee his home when it is revealed to him that a planned usurping of his father's position as chief will take place soon unless Garram goes into hiding. The journey that Garram subsequently embarks upon helps prepare him for the inevitable confrontation with his father's political enemies that is sure to occur when ...more
Published 1930 by Doubleday, Doran & Co.

To ask other readers questions about Garram the Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Garram the Hunter

Josiah
"We all know that after many years of peace people will say, 'There will be no more war in our days... Why should we train ourselves to defend our families? Why should we do aught save gather wealth or eat and drink?' Yet we, who bear scars of many ancient battles... know that when they think to find us unprepared they will come again."

—Chief Warok, Garram the Hunter, PP. 252-253

And so it seems to go for every people, and every civilization. Disciplined training and an ambitious eye for accom
Jasmine
Garram is an extremely well written book. The topic was interesting and one that I have never read from that point of view. I can see why the Newbury committee chose it as an Honor book and honestly of the ones I've read of that year it was probably the best written and more enjoyable story then the others chosen.
That said this topic is not one that I would have purposely chosen to read but as it was part of the Newbury project I can honestly say I enjoyed it...even if it wasn't a page turner.
Thomas Bell
I thought that this was a pretty good book. A boy, Garram, of a hill tribe in Western Africa (that's where the Fulani are most prevalent) is the hero of the story. He helps settle very difficult internal problems within his tribe as well as those within a larger, more developed tribe which culturally is very different than his, meaning cities and Islam instead of huts and tribal worship. Then at the end there is unrest from yet a different tribe (culturally similar to the first 'other' tribe I m ...more
Mckinley
I enjoyed this. I didn't know what I was getting for a story and was surprised at how well it's done from a perspective I wasn't familiar with. It's got a even blend of humor and drama that continues to offer life lessons.
Kiley
Kiley marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Tiffany Young
Tiffany Young marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Linda Lipko
Linda Lipko marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Lindsay Collett
Lindsay Collett marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Mariko
Mariko marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Greg Hudnall
Greg Hudnall marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Jonah
Jonah marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Carriann Forbis
Carriann Forbis marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Margo
Margo marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Dec 31, 2013
Cat Fletcher
Cat Fletcher marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Young'Un Desmond and the Peppermint Ghost (Desmond the Dog Detective, #3) Whistle, Daughter, Whistle The Long Portage: A story of Ticonderoga and Lord Howe Desmond and Dog Friday (Desmond the Dog Detective, #4)