Start by marking “The Beach Book” as Want to Read:
The Beach Book

The Beach Book

'The Beach Book' features ten reads about beaches from internationally acclaimed authors, including Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Isaac Bashevis Singer and Roald Dahl, and emerging voices Anthony Doerr and Frederick Reiken who've all heard the sea's siren song and written eloquently about it.
Published March 1st 2005 by DK

To ask other readers questions about The Beach Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beach Book

Maria Ella
Good collection of short stories, set in the wonders of the beach, either basking in the sun at high noon, or showcasing the wonderful colors of sunset and dusk and night time.

There is one story that bored me, all about the Pirates and its long journey. I believe it did not fit perfectly in the collection since the other stories reveal a genre of slice-of-life, of adventures and misadventures combined, and some tall-tales being bequeathed from one generation to the next.

I loved the missing kid
Ashley
Jul 16, 2007 Ashley rated it liked it
Recommends it for: graphic designers who like to read & those with short attention spans
First of all I have to give this one mad props from a graphic designer's standpoint for the following reasons:
a) It's waterproof! For those of us who have had disastrous, waterlogged experiences with toting our beloved books to the beach - our savior has arrived!
b) The different short stories are set in various typefaces - well selected typefaces, might I add. BONUS.
c) The cover is straight-up badass. I know you're not suppose to judge a book by it's cover, but COME ON! I'm a friggin' designer!

S
Emily Hoffman Sypek
Feb 23, 2015 Emily Hoffman Sypek rated it really liked it
This is a great beach read! I saved this for beach vacations and read it on several beaches.
Kathy
Jun 18, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing
A fabulous beach read for those who don't like the classic fluffy, full of drivel beach book. Stories by famous award winning authors, like Gabriel Garcia Marquez. And the entire book is waterproof, completely laminated. A very cool extra! ...more
Penny
Apr 23, 2011 Penny rated it liked it
Very neat little book. I saved it for a holiday read on the beach and wasn't disappointed. The short stories are good and their tropical settings are just what the doctor ordered while you're lounging on your beach chair.
LINDA
This book is completely waterproof, what a GREAT idea! The various short stories (by different authors) were all very creative and each one fittingly references a beach, some from all around the globe!
Synthia
Aug 17, 2008 Synthia rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
It's a nice idea, a waterproof book filled with short stories that take place at the seashore however I didn't really like any of the stories.
Brittany
A unique compilation of stories with the beach as the subject. Some great authors and its actually waterproof to take to the beach!
Karli (Typographical Era)
Apr 09, 2007 Karli (Typographical Era) rated it really liked it
I read this at the beach (how appropriate). The book contains a varity of stories, but you don't have to be at the beach to enjoy them.
Susan
Aug 26, 2007 Susan rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent collection of well written short stories by award winning authors. Best part? It's Waterproof!!
Jacqueline
Jun 10, 2008 Jacqueline rated it really liked it
Again, short stories keep rocking my world. This book is also 100% waterproof. Duh.
Karen
Karen added it
Sep 03, 2016
Chris
Chris added it
Aug 29, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Alessandra
Alessandra marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Val
Val marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Margaret Vincent
Margaret Vincent marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Jennifer Haight
Jennifer Haight rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
Candace M Ellison
Candace M Ellison marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Hester Rathbone
Hester Rathbone marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Faye
Faye added it
Apr 16, 2016
Karen Caley
Karen Caley marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Maggie Hagen
Maggie Hagen marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Natalie Rochester
Natalie Rochester marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Colleen Doherty kandel
Colleen Doherty kandel marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Andi
Andi marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
  • The Loom of Time: A Selection of His Plays and Poems
  • Capturing Paris: A Novel
  • Had Enough?: A Handbook for Fighting Back
  • Teach Yourself Postmodernism
  • Newton's Telecom Dictionary: 22nd Edition (Newton's Telecom Dictionary)
  • Eat This Book: Cooking with Global Fresh Flavors