Start by marking “My Alaskan Summer” as Want to Read:
My Alaskan Summer

My Alaskan Summer

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This is the story of how Corinne and her boyfriend Sam, fresh out of college, spent a season working at a Bed and Breakfast in Alaska. It is a summer spent cleaning, clamming, and hiking, muddling between a life of chores and brushes with the fantastic.
Published 2008 by Maidenhousefly Comics

To ask other readers questions about My Alaskan Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Alaskan Summer

David Schaafsma
Whimsical is the word I would use to describe this book, Mucha's first, and I have read almost everything of her work and it is almost all whimsical in various ways, even the break-up story Get Over It. This is her first book, about working at a B and B for a summer in Alaska with her then boyfriend Sam, and is mainly just a collection of observations, which as it turns out are funny and entertaining. My observation about her is that in the more recent stuff, Get Over It and the chapbook It Does ...more
Emilia P
Dear Friends,
This comic is about Alaska, and guess where ILL got it from? ALASKA! I have a book that came from Alaska!! Ok, now onto my other letter, to the lovely author...

Corrine Mucha,

I have loved you since we met at the Small Press Expo in September, 2009 and you had dorky glasses and seemed nervous and I really really liked your work and I really don't know why I didn't just go ahead and buy all of it when I was there since it has taken me a heck of a long time to find it elsewhere. So, ye
Tara
Dec 05, 2008 Tara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
i have to admit, my enjoyment of this book was entirely subjective/personal. i can't say what enjoyment anyone would get out of it if they hadn't also lived in alaska. she makes so many perfect observations about the beauties and blemishes of life in alaska, from her shock at there being "several places to buy many varieties of toothpaste" in soldotna, to the unavailability of the new york times, to the ridiculousness of ADN front page headlines ("BEAR DIES ... ALSO, MOOSE INJURED"). and that's ...more
Brynn
this was a fun comic, though i hope that my experience in alaska, out of the city, with someone who wants to hike, have adventures, and isn't a combination of two previous boyfriends, who, among their more lovely qualities, insist on being pessimistic about everything, sleeping in the car to save money, hating tourists despite being one, is not the experience i have
Grace
I met Corinne Mucha at Alternative Press Expo last year. She seemed bored in person whereas she was imaginative and energetic in her travels throughout Alaska. I like her commentary on city living and nature in a completely unique place aka Alaska. I'm a fan of her illustration style and creative use of space. Good fun for the armchair traveler.
ABenander
Again with the Chicago-based female graphic novelists. I love them!

Saw this book in Women and Children First and made a note to come back for it when I was no longer destitute. Then, last week, the woman who checked me into my Tuesday night yoga class was none other than Corrine Mucha! Bought this today and raced through it.
Ben
Funny, cute, heartwarming, nicely drawn, though still rough looking. What you'd come to expect from Corinne Mucha. Corinne and her bf work at her aunt's bed and breakfast in Alaska one summer. Insights from it. I'm gonna try to find a copy for the library.
Phyllis
Totally charming, breezy graphic novel about a summer spent working at a bed & breakfast in Alaska. I really love Corinne Mucha's artwork in this book--it reminds me of a less nihilistic version of Mark Beyer's AMY & JORDAN cartoons.
Aneesa
Jun 03, 2009 Aneesa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Alison K., Jessica
Recommended to Aneesa by: found on the shelf at Powell's
This comic is more about the illustrations than the story, and is full of inside jokes I didn't necessarily get. But I liked it! Now I want to read all the comic books created with grants from http://xericfoundation.org!
Robin
If I could only read comics by one author for the next few years, that author would be Corinne Mucha. Her artwork is playful, entertaining, and at its strongest when tongue-in-cheek.
Carolee Wheeler
Very glad I got the chance to read this (thanks, ABEbooks and Powell's!). I love Mucha's drawing style and her self-effacing narrative. I dig her more recent work a bit more, though.
Ann
A funny, beautiful little comic book. I love it to pieces. It's also good inspiration for aspiring comic-makers. Or folks who want to visit Alaska.
Richard
Another good Sparkplug comic. This one is short, very funny, sort of diary type comics detail a Summer the author spent working in Alaska.
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Raina
Raina marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Martinet
Martinet marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Todd Glaeser
Todd Glaeser marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Marian
Marian marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Molly
Molly added it
Feb 12, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
addie
addie marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Freshman: Tales of 9th Grade Obsessions, Revelations, and Other Nonsense Get Over It! My Every Single Thought Shithole It Doesn't Exist: Mythical Stories