Start by marking “My Alaskan Summer” as Want to Read:
My Alaskan Summer

My Alaskan Summer

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  47 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
This is the story of how Corinne and her boyfriend Sam, fresh out of college, spent a season working at a Bed and Breakfast in Alaska. It is a summer spent cleaning, clamming, and hiking, muddling between a life of chores and brushes with the fantastic.
Published 2008 by Maidenhousefly Comics

To ask other readers questions about My Alaskan Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Alaskan Summer

Blankets by Craig ThompsonThe Arrival by Shaun TanThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiAnya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol
Graphic Novels for Older High Schoolers
45th out of 70 books — 12 voters
Maus I by Art SpiegelmanPersepolis by Marjane SatrapiFun Home by Alison BechdelStitches by David SmallBlankets by Craig Thompson
best memoir graphic novels
151st out of 189 books — 265 voters

More lists with this book...

David Schaafsma
Jan 26, 2015 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-memoir, gn-women
Whimsical is the word I would use to describe this book, Mucha's first, and I have read almost everything of her work and it is almost all whimsical in various ways, even the break-up story Get Over It. This is her first book, about working at a B and B for a summer in Alaska with her then boyfriend Sam, and is mainly just a collection of observations, which as it turns out are funny and entertaining. My observation about her is that in the more recent stuff, Get Over It and the chapbook It Does ...more
Emilia P
Oct 11, 2011 Emilia P rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Dear Friends,
This comic is about Alaska, and guess where ILL got it from? ALASKA! I have a book that came from Alaska!! Ok, now onto my other letter, to the lovely author...

Corrine Mucha,

I have loved you since we met at the Small Press Expo in September, 2009 and you had dorky glasses and seemed nervous and I really really liked your work and I really don't know why I didn't just go ahead and buy all of it when I was there since it has taken me a heck of a long time to find it elsewhere. So, ye
Lee
I dunno how to rate this book. I opened it because it was. Thin, I guess, and the title was evocative of a genre I enjoy. It's on my books-i-didn-t-shelve shelf, but I did shelve it, just after. Reading it. While on the clock. So that's fine. I have the urge? To give it a 3, but I would feel bad bringing the rating down as significantly as that number would do to a book with so few reviews. I'm overestimating my significance here, but. And it's not like I didn't like it. I enjoyed especially the ...more
Tara
Dec 05, 2008 Tara rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
i have to admit, my enjoyment of this book was entirely subjective/personal. i can't say what enjoyment anyone would get out of it if they hadn't also lived in alaska. she makes so many perfect observations about the beauties and blemishes of life in alaska, from her shock at there being "several places to buy many varieties of toothpaste" in soldotna, to the unavailability of the new york times, to the ridiculousness of ADN front page headlines ("BEAR DIES ... ALSO, MOOSE INJURED"). and that's ...more
Brynn
May 04, 2009 Brynn rated it liked it
this was a fun comic, though i hope that my experience in alaska, out of the city, with someone who wants to hike, have adventures, and isn't a combination of two previous boyfriends, who, among their more lovely qualities, insist on being pessimistic about everything, sleeping in the car to save money, hating tourists despite being one, is not the experience i have
Grace
Mar 16, 2009 Grace rated it it was amazing
I met Corinne Mucha at Alternative Press Expo last year. She seemed bored in person whereas she was imaginative and energetic in her travels throughout Alaska. I like her commentary on city living and nature in a completely unique place aka Alaska. I'm a fan of her illustration style and creative use of space. Good fun for the armchair traveler.
ABenander
Mar 20, 2010 ABenander rated it liked it
Again with the Chicago-based female graphic novelists. I love them!

Saw this book in Women and Children First and made a note to come back for it when I was no longer destitute. Then, last week, the woman who checked me into my Tuesday night yoga class was none other than Corrine Mucha! Bought this today and raced through it.
Shoshanna
Jul 29, 2011 Shoshanna rated it really liked it
Funny, cute, heartwarming, nicely drawn, though still rough looking. What you'd come to expect from Corinne Mucha. Corinne and her bf work at her aunt's bed and breakfast in Alaska one summer. Insights from it. I'm gonna try to find a copy for the library.
Phyllis
Mar 07, 2012 Phyllis rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Totally charming, breezy graphic novel about a summer spent working at a bed & breakfast in Alaska. I really love Corinne Mucha's artwork in this book--it reminds me of a less nihilistic version of Mark Beyer's AMY & JORDAN cartoons.
Aneesa
Jun 03, 2009 Aneesa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Alison K., Jessica
Recommended to Aneesa by: found on the shelf at Powell's
This comic is more about the illustrations than the story, and is full of inside jokes I didn't necessarily get. But I liked it! Now I want to read all the comic books created with grants from http://xericfoundation.org!
Robin
Aug 21, 2011 Robin rated it really liked it
If I could only read comics by one author for the next few years, that author would be Corinne Mucha. Her artwork is playful, entertaining, and at its strongest when tongue-in-cheek.
Carolee Wheeler
Oct 16, 2013 Carolee Wheeler rated it really liked it
Very glad I got the chance to read this (thanks, ABEbooks and Powell's!). I love Mucha's drawing style and her self-effacing narrative. I dig her more recent work a bit more, though.
Ann
Jan 04, 2012 Ann rated it it was amazing
A funny, beautiful little comic book. I love it to pieces. It's also good inspiration for aspiring comic-makers. Or folks who want to visit Alaska.
Richard
Oct 13, 2011 Richard rated it really liked it
Another good Sparkplug comic. This one is short, very funny, sort of diary type comics detail a Summer the author spent working in Alaska.
Kate
Kate added it
Jun 29, 2016
Cory
Cory rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Maci
Maci marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Sussan
Sussan marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Stéphanie
Stéphanie marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Traci
Traci rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2016
Marylyle Mccue
Marylyle Mccue marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Nico
Nico rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Scott Charles Walker
Scott Charles Walker marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Chloe A-L
Chloe A-L marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015