Start by marking “The Rains of Eridan” as Want to Read:
The Rains of Eridan

The Rains of Eridan

When Eridan is researched for possible human colonization, carnivorous cryptobiotic creatures emerge during the rains on the planet and terrorize the scientists of Base Three.
Published February 28th 1979 by Avon Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Rains of Eridan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rains of Eridan

Miriam
Jul 18, 2012 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A scientist is camping out alone during a month+ research stint on a little-explored planet when she hears an unexpected shuttle land nearby. Investigating, she witnesses the murder of two highly-ranked individuals from another base by their own personnel. When the mutineers depart, she finds that they have left behind the dead Orlovs' young daughter, Karen. Karen tells Theo of a strange, disease-like Fear that causes people to behave in violent and erratic ways. Has the Fear spread to other bas ...more
Becky
Aug 18, 2011 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as a kid, and checked it out of the library countless times. I'd forgotten its author, title, characters' names, and every other identifying feature, but recently managed to track it down. When I did, it was just as good as I'd remembered. It's scary, creepy, and sweet. Its themes - female mentorship, sympathy for the Other, the scientific method, awe of nature, and the power of backcountry hiking - are still important to me today. Reading this book was like looking through a t ...more
Patrick Kavanagh
Sep 23, 2010 Patrick Kavanagh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books (and authors!) as a kid... probably read this sevral times in 5th or 6th grade.
I spent a lot of time trying to track down all of H.M. Hoover's books. She wrote science fiction that was focused on the humanity and characters rather than technology or action.
Bex Godfrey
An interesting tale of Ho humans can mess things up just by being there, eventually putting their own lives in danger for material wealth
Otessa
Jul 14, 2016 Otessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, shame on me for not being able familiar with this author earlier. I'm enjoying her language, thoughtful characters, & world-building immensely. About to swan-dive into the rest of her books.
John
Nov 27, 2014 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
1988 grade A+
Gringa Fabulosa
Gringa Fabulosa rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Susanna
Susanna marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Pete Fosselius
Pete Fosselius marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Rae
Rae marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Brin
Brin marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Chris
Chris added it
Mar 04, 2016
MRS
MRS marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Sara Baggins
Sara Baggins rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Heather Nelson
Heather Nelson marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
George Sampson
George Sampson rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Wordsl Dreamsl
Wordsl Dreamsl marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Treether
Treether rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2015
Dianne
Dianne rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2015
Eilonwy
Eilonwy rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Eloise
Eloise marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2015
Lrwhalin
Lrwhalin rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2015