Start by marking “This Charming Man” as Want to Read:
This Charming Man

This Charming Man

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  29,373 Ratings  ·  1,337 Reviews

With This Charming Man, Marian Keyes hits her stride as a novelist with her best novel yet, telling the stories of four women who are shaped by one man

Paddy de Courcy is Ireland's debonair politician, the "John F. Kennedy Jr. of Dublin." His charm and charisma have taken hold of the country and the tabloids, not to mention our four heroines: Lola, Grace, Marnie, and

Mass Market Paperback, 500 pages
Published May 5th 2009 by Penguin UK (first published April 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about This Charming Man, please sign up.

Joy No, we don't omit articles or pronouns when we speak. The other women are also from Dublin. The reason Lola's POV omits these words is because she is…moreNo, we don't omit articles or pronouns when we speak. The other women are also from Dublin. The reason Lola's POV omits these words is because she is writing in a diary. Sometimes there is only a few minutes between entries. She is writing quickly and the pronouns and articles are implied. She doesn't mean for anyone to read it, so grammar isn't an issue.

Basically, she isn't writing how she speaks; she's merely getting the words down on paper quickly and informally. Hope this helps.(less)

Faye
I am so disappointed in this book! I believe I have read everything Marian Keyes has published, and I had such high hopes.... Many other reviewers have given a synopsis of this book, so I'll not repeat their words. The following are among the reasons I am so distressed.

The first 75 pages of this book (and periodically throughout the rest) are written in the voice of Lola, one of four female main characters. The writing style is the most maddening Bridget-Jones-text-message mess you can imagine!
Amanda
Aug 03, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marian Keyes makes me veer from insane giggling to fury to sorrow at/with her characters. She can be so funny and then make you feel such empathy for the protagonists. This book has four narrators who all have a relationship (of some sort) with Paddy de Courcy, a slick Irish politician. Issues in This Charming Man include domestic violence, alcoholism, depression, and severe lack of self-confidence - and it's still filled with humor that made me laugh like crazy.
One of the narrators is an alcoho
Becca
Jan 23, 2008 Becca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WARNING!! If you have been, or are, a victim of domestic violence, please be aware that this book depicts the violence and the situations very graphically. Ensure that you are ready to confront this imagery.

I give this book 5 stars if you are not reading it as a beach read, typical chick lit book, or even a typical Marian Keyes book. This is a powerful story that can be very disturbing (even if you have not been a victim of domestic violence). The "voice" of Lola is written in very annoying frag
george
Apr 16, 2008 george rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lola. Grace. Marnie. Alicia. Four very different women with one connection: Paddy de Courcy. Told from each of the four women's viewpoints, This Charming Man explains how each of the women is deeply affected by this one man. All of the women are struggling with something, despite her outwardly normal appearance. The story starts with the announcement of de Courcy's engagement and the women's different reactions. From there we get to see why each woman reacted in her own way--and the reasons are ...more
Jonathan McNamara
Apr 27, 2008 Jonathan McNamara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a grain of emotional sense
Shelves: just-read
I stayed up all night reading this brilliant book. marian Keyes has never come across as being afraid of tackling huge and important psychologically real issues. Make of that what you will. Under the girlish covers of her books I've always found pertinent issues; In 'This Charming Man' the issues are corrupt politicians, battered girlfriends, underhanded antics at work; steadfast firm friends as well as a wickedly funny turn involving cross-dressers (not trannies though one of them is gay). The ...more
Rainbow
Feb 08, 2010 Rainbow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strange book. Many sections written almost entirely without subjects or articles. Difficult to get used to, but Marian Keyes perhaps most charming/likable author in world. Also funny. Book seems to be named after Smiths song for no reason. Also appears to be lame chick lit, but isn't.
Heidi
Jun 19, 2008 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, but do not read if looking for funny, uplifting read. The reviewers on back of dust jacket have obviously not read book or have seriously different sense of humor than I do.
Book is story of five/six various women who have all come into contact with same politician man who is quiet frankly shit, he's a shit man and is very very nasty. This book is each woman's road into ruin via this horrid politian as it deals with issues such as abuse, cross dressing, rape within a relations
Irene
Jan 26, 2017 Irene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5
Si tuviera que describir este libro, sería impactante. La autora nos hace partícipes de una realidad cruda y desgarradora, pero real. La forma de abordarlo de manera tan cargada de tacto y sensibilidad, me ha llevado a darle las cuatro estrellas. Por momentos puedes palpar esa desesperación, pero también se adereza con momentos muy cómicos y cotidianos. Como en todo no es todo sombras, si no que los personajes, poco a poco van abriendo la puerta a una realidad mucho más luminosa.
Richard
Jul 26, 2014 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
889 pages and I read it in 8 days, so that probably says it all. Marian Keyes tells the story through the eyes of four women all connected with said 'Charming Man,' Paddy de Courcey. Paddy is charismatic, powerful and women go weak at the knees when he appears....oh and he is violent and manipulative.

It's a very fine book in that it deals with serious issues of domestic violence and manipulation and yet (as in all her books) is very funny.

I think you could pick up any Marian Keyes book and enjoy
Emma
Jul 14, 2008 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Most women
Recommended to Emma by: Boss at work
You know what? I expected to read this book and think, urgh there's another chick-lit same-old same-old. I'm not the biggest fan of chick-lit but I can happily flit into the genre when I fancy something light-hearted.
I didn't find this predictable, though, which is my usual qualm with chick-lit.

Lola is easily the funniest and most engaging of the characters; I found myself looking forward to her bits the most. Grace is sarcastic, witty, and the woman that binds all the plots together.
Marnie is t
Colleen Pence
Jul 30, 2008 Colleen Pence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My favorite book I've read this summer is, This Charming Man, by Irish author, Marian Keyes. I'm a huge fan of hers and have read all of her books. They've been thoughtful, delightful and entertaining. But This Charming Man weaves together compellingly stark portrayals of alcoholism and domestic violence in a serious, yet sassy, page-turner that isn't, strangely, depressing. The women in the book come together to confront their abuser and, while not all of their issues are immediately resolved, ...more
Darshan Elena
Jan 02, 2009 Darshan Elena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dear Ms. Keyes,

Sometimes I cringe over my reading selections and dawdle before diving in... That is how I tend to approach your writing. Then I dive and there is nothing that can pull me away. As an author within the genre of chick litterers, you excel, charming the likes of me again and again.

I love your awareness of intimate violence and how state mandates regarding citizenship and immigration sustain and extend. How eloquent, daring, and ethical is Dee in this regard! I love the wit, kink, a
Keris
Jul 03, 2008 Keris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed by Claire Allan

I doubt there has been such an eagerly awaited book as Marian Keyes' This Charming Man - how we have watched eagerly over the past two years as news of her latest book filtered out. There was going to be a character called Lola in it. It was going to deal with domestic violence. It was going to be very, very long (hurrah!).

My excitement reached a peak when I discovered a copy just in time for my holidays and as I stroked the gorgeous purple cover I was dying to dig in - b
mary
Jan 20, 2010 mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After an initial love affair with Keyes, I went off her. Her earlier novels, the ones I'd found at least, each focused on one member of a family, and I was getting weary of them - started forgetting who was who, etc.

But This Charming Man is a treasure. In the two weeks it took me to finish it, I have fallen in love with Grace and her unique family, Lola and her trannie, and a boatload of other characters as they work so hard to figure it all out.

This Charming Man is the first book ever to occupy
Wminbc
Dec 02, 2010 Wminbc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite simply one of Keyes best works...so many different voices flowing and weaving together into a powerful work of pain, addiction, disparity, loathing, love, fashion and family! Lola kicks ass...I loved her most, but all parts fit like an amazing 2000 piece jigsaw puzzle.
Cris
Dec 16, 2016 Cris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: moderno, romance
Taí uma história que eu não estava esperando de jeito nenhum!!
O que eu pensava que ia conseguir com o livro, e o que a autora me apresentou, são duas coisas totalmente diferente.
Eu achava que a historia era sobre uma mocinha que se apaixonava pelo mocinho da capa, um irlandês gostosão e meio safado, e que os dois iam ter uma série de desencontros amorosos, mas que iam terminar juntos no final. Ledo engano!!
O tal mocinho da capa, o Paddy, é um político e está mais para vilão da história. Logo no
Steve Lindahl
Dec 21, 2013 Steve Lindahl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was telling my daughter-in-law recently how I give all the books I review either three, four, or five stars, because I don't finish the ones I would rate as one or two. This Charming Man nearly fell in that latter category. A great deal of time was spent developing the stories of Lola, Grace, and Marnie. Grace wasn't in bad shape, but the other two women were hard to take. Lola and Marnie were both struggling in their work because they were in such bad psychological states they couldn't do bas ...more
Ngaire
Jul 22, 2008 Ngaire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loved
Gosh, another great Marian Keyes book - just when I thought she couldn't get any better. I don't want to make any rash statements here, but I don't think that Marian Keyes is writing "chick lit" (god, how I hate that term) anymore. She's writing serious fiction that also happens to be hilarious in places. Must admit that the first chapter or so of Lola's story threw me off a bit, kept checking to make sure the entire book wasn't written in that diary style, but after a while it totally grew on m ...more
T&C
Aug 17, 2010 T&C rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Trish
Dec 05, 2009 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Barbara Elsborg
Mar 17, 2009 Barbara Elsborg rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book disappointing. The different fonts for different voices were not needed and rather aggravating. The clipped voice of Lola was beyond annoying. I just couldn't see the requirement. It was insulting to the reader as if we couldn't tell the difference between the voices.
I've no problem with the subject matter - but what the hell did these women find charming about him?? With only a few snapshots of his bullying violence - how could we see what they saw in him? He is a manipulator
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I think it's safe to say that Marian Keyes is becoming one of my favorite authors as I'm still reading this book, and no I haven't read anything else by her, but you just know when you stumble upon a good author that is loved by many fans. She's so good in writing a character and making you feel what they do whether you like them or don't, it's all about keeping it real with her, dramatic but with a sense of humor, well rounded characters and interesting plot that keeps you on the edge flipping ...more
Mariazita
Mar 27, 2015 Mariazita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um livro escrito de uma forma diferente para abordar um tema tão difícil como a violência domestica exercida por "homens" que não o são, e que sempre são encantadores para os outros.
Quem começa a ler este livro pensa que vai ser uma leitura divertida, e é ,pois a autora aligeira o tema principal com passagens bem divertidas mas no fundo o tema da violência é muito bem desenvolvido, e mostra como as mulheres violentadas levam tempo a compreender que isto não é amor, e como vem-se metidas em relaç
Kathryn
Lianne
Feb 01, 2008 Lianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-s-fiction
I really love Marian Keyes. I love how she can handle a serious subject -- here, domestic violence -- and inject both heartbreak and laughter in the same page. Because of the way she tackles such serious issues, I don't think of her books as chick lit anymore. I wanted a little more at the end of this book, but overall it was a great read.
rach arkless
Aug 24, 2012 rach arkless rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Marian Keyes, I just love her. I can't believe I wrote her off for so long as just another one of thousands of chick-lit writers. Her books are so funny and true to life, just brilliant and this one no exception! Could relate to all the main characters for one reason or another, was just a joy to read.
Amafle
Aug 16, 2015 Amafle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es un libro muy real en el que claramente se puede apreciar el esfuerzo de la autora por tratar de abrir los ojos a sus lectores sobre la violencia de género y sicológica. No era un tipo encantador y sus protagonistas sufrieron mucho para descubrirlo.
Reetta Saine
Jul 10, 2013 Reetta Saine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Minä olen viimeinkin löytänyt naisviihteilijän, joka oikeasti viihdyttää minua!! Kieli ja huumori ovat parhautta, ja kannattaakin etsiä oikeankielinen versio. Opit varmasti paljon uusia sanoja. Ai joo, parisuhdeväkivalta ja poliitiikka ei aiheina liene ihan yleisimpiä romansseissa.
Lulu
Feb 23, 2016 Lulu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book except the physical abuse aspect was a bit rougher than I'd expected, and the writing style for the Lola character was horrible.
Ruth Garlick
Feb 16, 2017 Ruth Garlick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
FINALLY, I have succeeded in finishing This Charming Man, by Marian Keyes. Reading it was like pushing out a constipated poo. It was full of sex, scandals, and sensationalism. Imagine a book version of Vogue, or some other celebrity gossip magazine. That is what This Charming Man is like. It's total rubbish.
One thing that I find very, very wrong with it, is that there's a man – Paddy de Courcy – who has committed domestic violence and rape. Yet he is glorified! He is written as though he is a "
  • Good At Games
  • Girl Meets Ape
  • Once In A Lifetime
  • How Will I Know?
  • A Friend of the Family
  • Where Have All the Boys Gone?
  • Did the Earth Move?
  • The Love of Her Life
  • Practically Perfect
  • Husbands
  • The Chocolate Lovers' Club
Marian Keyes (born 10 September 1963) is an Irish novelist and non-fiction writer, best known for her work in women's literature. She is an Irish Book Awards winner. Over 22 million copies of her novels have been sold worldwide and her books have been translated into 32 languages. She became known worldwide for Watermelon, Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married, and This Charming Man, with themes includ ...more
More about Marian Keyes...

“I sighed. "What is life but fleeting moments of happiness strung together on necklace of despair?” 17 likes
“Desserts. I ordered banoffee pie.” 1 likes