Start by marking “The Q Continuum: Number Two Q-Zone” as Want to Read:
The Q Continuum: Number Two Q-Zone

The Q Continuum: Number Two Q-Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation #48)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  731 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The puckish super-being called Q has bedeviled Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the "Starship Enterprise"(TM) since their first encounter at Farpoint Station. But little was known of Q's enigmatic past or that of the transcendent plane where he sometimes dwells. Now Picard must discover Q's secrets -- for the sake of all that exists. While the "Enterprise" struggles ...more
Unbound, 0 pages
Published July 14th 1999 by Simon & Schuster Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Q Continuum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Q Continuum

Dan
Dec 21, 2015 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tng
Like the last installment, it is difficult to judge the story when it not yet complete. The action is at faster pace than the first volume, which is welcome, and the events that end with the destruction of the Tkon Empire were a lot of fun to read. Greg Cox does very well with his world-building for the Tkon, and the fact that they are so well fleshed-out makes the Empire's eventual fall that much more tragic. I'm excited to get to the conclusion of this story soon. Look for my review of part th ...more
Conan Tigard
Q-Zone takes place on a new Enterprise-E, so must occur just after the second movie, First Contact, since that is when the new ship is introduced. The story focuses on two divergent storylines: 1) Q showing Picard bits and pieces of Q's own past, and 2) Riker and the Enterprise, after failing in their attempt at breaching the Great Galactic Barrier, must survive the attack of the Calamarain.

Where the first book in this trilogy moved along rather slowly, this one picks up the pace a little. But
K
Okay second book of the trilogy. It primarily focused on the backstory between Q and 0. It was not as exciting as the first book, so my hopes are it was necessary filler to make the third book make more sense. I almost get the feeling that perhaps the publisher forced the author to stretch the book into three separate books (each of the three books is almost exactly 270 pages). 3.25/5
Min
Mar 28, 2015 Min rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I lovely romp through the history of Q. After a nice foundation in the first of the trilogy, this one gets to the meat of the matter. What an interesting life it has been for Q. A wonderful blend of the many layers in the past, with the present, and a smattering of how it just may transform the future. I know Q was interesting but, this is intriguing indeed.
A taste of the 4 horsemen and you can't go wrong, eh?
Mikael Kuoppala
Here we have a premise with as much potential as any novel can have, and it's left largely unused.

"Q-Zone" centeres around Q's past, showing us Q's and Picard's journey through space and time. Unfortunately we don't get to witness the ultimate, surreal, fantastic Q-adventure, like the later released "IQ" by Peter David and John DeLancie, but insted we are offered tons of tedious and irrelevant scenes that are structured badly. In the end the novel isn't bad in any way. It just could have been so
Scarlett Sims
Alright, so this is the second book in this trilogy. Picard has been kidnapped by Q, leaving the Enterprise-E with Riker in command to fight off the Calamarain. If that sentence didn't make sense to you, there's no sense in picking up this book.

Anyway, the cool thing this trilogy does is give us a peek into the life of young Q, showing the mistakes he made and giving some clues as to why he is so.... Q-y.
Weavre
Just adding a few more Star Trek novels I found while working in the shed, so they're in my list here; that way, I can easily see which ones we don't have and bookmooch only titles we're missing. But to be honest, I don't remember any of these stories particularly well, and will have to post an actual review when and if I get around to re-reading them in the future.
Angela
May 06, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This immediately follows on QSpace. Q starts to show Picard his history. Again another fun read. But it is not really a seperate book, it just feels like the author wrote too many pages for hs story so that they had to seperate it into different books. Again you need the next in the series to finish the story.
Lynn
Aug 01, 2011 Lynn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-fiction
This was okay. It carried the story forward, and I still want to see what happens (though I figured out the ending before I'd finished book 1). But I think most of what happens in this book could have been incorporated into the first book without significantly lengthening it.
April
Jul 14, 2013 April rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gave up on this one 2/3 of the way through and I will not be reading the 3rd in the trilogy. For a storyline about one of my favourite recurring characters, I was bored to death.
Joshua
May 18, 2013 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read too many Star Trek book's and too long ago to give a valid comment other than that I liked it or even loved it. The book is in great condition.
Todd R
Jun 04, 2015 Todd R rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trek, trek-tng
Worse than the first. Half of the book is filler - could have been 100 pages in total.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This trilogy is one of Trek's best written masterpieces, thanks to Greg Cox.
Christine
Jun 20, 2015 Christine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Certainly not the Q-Continuum I imagined.
Isiah
Oct 14, 2008 Isiah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See my review of the first book of this trilogy.
Carl Bussema
Jul 09, 2012 Carl Bussema rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
See review for Q-Space.
Kimberly
Sep 08, 2009 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this trilogy, but I also like Q as well.
Kim
Recommends it for: Trekkies
Shelves: startreknovels
Goood!
Bthrifty
Bthrifty marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it did not like it
Jun 26, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Knowan Attall
Knowan Attall rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Ramona
Ramona marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Karen Hoehne
Karen Hoehne rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
David Hilleland
David Hilleland rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Sabrina Reiger
Sabrina Reiger rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Erik Plossl
Erik Plossl marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Mark Peacock
Mark Peacock marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
  • The Soldiers of Fear (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #41; Invasion, #2)
  • Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • I, Q
  • Possession (Star Trek: The Next Generation #40)
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation: Crossover
  • Q-In-Law (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #18)
  • A Time to Kill (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Grounded (Star Trek: The Next Generation #25)
  • Infection (Star Trek: Double Helix, #1)
  • Into the Nebula (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #36)
  • Rogue Saucer (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #39)
  • Here There Be Dragons (Star Trek: The Next Generation #28)
  • Red Sector (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #53; Double Helix, #3)
  • The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26)
  • Perchance to Dream (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #19)

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 103 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next  Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)