Start by marking “To My Daughter In France” as Want to Read:
To My Daughter In France

To My Daughter In France

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  340 ratings  ·  31 reviews
'And to my daughter in France, I bequeath the remainder of my Estate'

These words, read from the will of Irish academic Richard Kirwan, come as a complete surprise to his grieving family. Solange de Valnay's perfectly ordered world is shattered when she discovers the identity of her true father for the first time. She loves the man who has always been 'Papa' and the Langued...more
Published August 7th 2003 by Vintage (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about To My Daughter In France, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To My Daughter In France

Tea Jovanović
Lepa, dirljiva, topla, ljudska priča... o ljudskim sudbinama i porodičnim tajnama... Napisana u "četiri ruke", tj. napisale su je dve setre koje u stvarnom životu ne žive u istoj državi...
Ne
A capa não nos revela nada, por isso o conteúdo deste livro vais nos espantar pela sua simplicidade, mas ao mesmo tempo pela sua profundidade.
Tem um vasto leque de personagens e cada uma vai nos contar à sua maneira a sua história, tanto no Passado como no Presente.
As mais presentes são Eleanor e Solange, as duas meias-irmãs, tão distintas uma da outra, apenas com o pai e a descoberta de toda a história familiar em comum. Estas estão rodeadas por um inúmero número de amigos e pessoas que as amam...more
Tatiana
Aug 29, 2012 Tatiana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who enjoy subjects as 2nd WW
“To My Daughter in France” is a romance written by the sisters Barbara and Stephanie Keating. It starts with a unexpected testament and tells the story of two different families. The narrated events happen in two distinct times: the present, in the 70’s, and in the past, during the 2nd World War. This book is about forbidden passions, sacrifices made for love and courage. Places as Ireland, France and the Connemara’s coast are mentioned.

I completely loved the moments related with the detentions...more
Margaret
Busily involved as we are in moving house, moving countries (France to UK), this book, billed as a 'perfect holiday read' seemed a nice, non-demanding choice. A father's will reveals to his children that they have a previously unknown half-sister in France. The half-sister, Solange is equally shocked by this knowledge. So far so good. But soon we get to hear the father's history and that of his friends, all Resistance workers, as the book switches between 1970s Ireland and France and war-torn Fr...more
Helena
Ik had dit boek al zo lang op mijn verlanglijstje staan dat ik me niet meer kon herinneren waarom ik het zo graag wilde lezen en nu ik het uit heb, weet ik het eigenlijk nog steeds niet want dit is absoluut niet mijn soort boek.

Het begon met een heel interessant uitgangspunt en een tijdlang las ik met het idee dat het een karakterstudie zou worden over de getroffen personen en hoe zij met deze tijding om zouden gaan.

Helaas kreeg ik allengs het gevoel in een nodeloos dikke kasteelroman verzeild g...more
Ana Filipa
Desde o início que a história captou a minha total e afectuosa atenção.
Passado sob os focos e o rescaldo da Segunda Guerra Mundial, este romance transporta-nos para o seio de duas famílias tão distintas, no que respeita à sua cultura, mas tão iguais entre si, ligadas pelo passado e por uma devastadora revelação.
Richard, Helena e Celine são as três personagens que dão vida à história, embora existam ainda outras como Stefan, Leah, Seamus, Charlotte...sendo que todas elas têm a sua pequenina histó...more
Ria
My mother and aunt introduced me to this book while I was visiting them in South Africa this past August. My mother remembered it as "A letter to my daughter in France". I snatched it off their bookshelf and read it in one sitting, refusing to go out all day as I was so absorbed in this story. A hopeless Francophile, I was already hooked just by the title, but this is truly a moving story. A tiny little bit Harlequinish, it nevertheless is the kind of wonderful read one can only hope for and so...more
Dymphie
Zo'n onverwachte uitspraak in een testament zet zoals verwacht kan worden een heleboel zaken in gang.
Langzaam ontwikkelt het verhaal zich, deels spelend on 1970, deels tijdens de Tweede Wereldoorlog, deels in Ierland deels in Frankrijk.
Goede beschrijving van de ontreddering van overlevenden en hoe moeilijk het is verder te leven.
Er zijn misschien wat al te veel toevalligheden, maar toch achter elkaar uitgelezen.
Marina
In een adem uitgelezen. Het einde voorspelbaar, maar voor romantische zielen zeker een aanrader.
Susan
Hmmm... I like this book, though at times it reads a bit like a soap opera. The characters were not as fully developed as they could or should be in order to appreciate and accept their feelings and actions... The authors definitely tried to capture the complex nature of experiencing something so appalling as a holocaust and how that affects our ability to relate with people (as well as specific relationships).

Compelling - I kept reading.

In a nutshell, for those interested: characters are Irish...more
Gonçalo Almeida
Livro levezinho que se lê bastante bem.
Jen
4.5 Stars
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. The book starts off with a family reading of their father's will. They discover their father had another child in France. The story then moves between present time with the family working to put the pieces together and WWII France. I will never know what it must have been like to experience those horrors, but I can't imagine getting any closer to understanding than through the words of a book.
Linndyloo
January: Finished and loved it. Found the romance, suspense and action compelling. Strangely, of all the novels I've read dealing with the holocaust this is the one in which the idea of camp internees being made to stand naked in freezing conditions has had the most profound effect on me. Maybe its because London is swathed in snow?! Perhaps the ending was a little predictable but as a sucker for a happy ending I found it very satisfying.
Shayne
Having read the Blood Sisters Trilogy by the Keating sisters, I was eager to read this too. I love their style of writing and how they manage to pull you into their novels so that it feels like you are right there.

This book did not disappoint. Set in 1970 and the during WW2, it goes back and forth, yet never loses the reader. beautifully written and set in the vineyards in France and the seaside of Dublin. Go and get it now!
Josien
Apr 29, 2014 Josien rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Aangeraden door Marina

Barok geschreven romantische vertelling deels spelend in 1970, deels tijdens de 2e wereldoorlog, deels in Frankrijk, deels in Ierland. Alle hoofdrolspelers hebben een brave inborst, goede bedoelingen en een warm hart. Indien zonder verdere pretenties een ontspannen tussendoortje....more
Amanda Patterson
Helen, the wife of the Irish academic, Richard Kirwin, is struck by grief and surprise when her father’s will is read. He had a secret love child in France.
Solange de Valnay, his French daghter, is shattered and tries to conceal the truth from Henri, the father she loves.
The story plays out in Ireland and France and includes four families and too many generations. I lost interest somewhere along the ill-plotted tale.
Mya
Aug 06, 2011 Mya added it
I really enjoyed this book to start with (don't be deceived by the horrible cover) but towards the very end it became a bit airy fairy and repetitive.

That said, it's still good. A well told story about two generations of two families, one Irish, the other French, and their friends told in parallel.
Natalia
I was living in France when I saw this book at W.H. Smith...so of course I had to pick it up and read it. It was a few years back that I read this but the story touched me. It was well written and had the right touch of romance, action, suspense!
Gwynn White
I think I will just take a break from this one. I am 60 or so pages in and it hasn't gripped me enough to carry on. Too many other really absorbing books came along and tipped it off the bedside table. Maybe another day.
Jenrush
After reading Blood Sisters and Durable Fire I craved to read another Keating book and ordered this on-line. So awesome! Great story set during the French Resistance movement of WWII. Such a lovely story.
Pattie
It was a good read although a tad predictable at the end. A tender and sad at times fictional story of adult children learning details of their parents lives in war-time Paris.
Mollie Anne
I loved this book, I enjoyed how it moved about in years, looking at a situation from different characters points of view. A read again book!
Adri
Everything is hyperbole in this book. All the characters larger than life. Too good to be true. Could not get past the first 100 pages.
Ginna Getto
It had a little bit of a slow start, and then kind of Romance-Novel-ish. Still, it was a good story that kept me reading all day.
Danielle Dwyer
I'd say 3.5 stars. Once the story got going I enjoyed it, it just took a little while.
Elly
A beautiful and surprising story, about what a war can do to people and to families.
Alison
I enjoyed this book although the pace was slower than I would tend to choose..
Susan
A story of heroism during the French Resistance, of love and loyalty.
Babete
Uma narrativa muito gostosa, uma história que cativa!
Gromeo558
Loved this book - was hoping for a follow-up
boring 1 5 Jan 30, 2013 07:50PM
  • A Vida num Sopro
  • Delicious
  • The Frozen Lake
  • Chocolate Girls
  • O Dardo de Kushiel (Kushiel, #1)
  • The Forget Me Not Sonata
  • The Company of Strangers
  • Enquanto Salazar Dormia...
  • A Viela da Duquesa
  • The Courtesan and the Samurai
  • The Perfect Lie
  • O Papalagui
  • A Sport of Nature
  • Secrets of Surrender (Rothwell #3)
  • Love and Devotion
  • Iris And Ruby
  • Não Te Deixarei Morrer, David Crockett
Barbara O'Hanlon and Stephanie Berke, sisters who embarked on a literary adventure together eight years ago, are now the successful authors of four novels, the most recent due for publication in September 2010.

The sisters' books have been translated into more than a dozen languages and are sold on all five continents.

Their seamless writing makes it impossible to tell where one finishes and another...more
More about Barbara Keating...
Blood Sisters In Borrowed Light A Durable Fire Mijn dochter in Frankrijk Land ihrer Sehnsucht: Roman (German Edition)