Beyond the Grave (The 39 Clues, #4)

Beyond the Grave (The 39 Clues #4)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  24,368 ratings  ·  647 reviews
Bestselling author Jude Watson whisks Amy and Dan to the tombs of Egypt in the thrill-packed 4th installment of the 39 Clues.

FORMAT: 4 CDs, Unabridged
NARRATOR: David Pittu

A Clue found in Book 3 sends Amy and Dan jetting off to find out just what's behind the fierce rivalry between the Tomas and Ekaterina branches of the Cahill family. Was a Clue stolen from the Tomas branc
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 1st 2009 by Scholastic Audio Books

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Grave

Debbie
Jude Watson did a fine job of letting us in on a few more Cahill secrets, but some additional mysteries remain. Amy and Dan have found the next clue and have had a near-run-in with the dreaded Madrigals, who have smashed up the Ekat stronghold in Cairo. Allastair Oh has returned from the dead (once again), the Kabras have been led astray to Lake Tash, and Jonah Wizard and his dad are on the way to Morocco after following a false lead. Hot on their trail is bad girl ex-KGB spy Irina, and we have...more
The chase continues as 14 year-old Amy Cahill and her 11 year-old brother Dan rush off to Cairo, Egypt in search of the next clue. You can feel the heat and smell the exotic spices as we catch up with the duo at the Khan market. Two new characters are introduced in this book, Theo, an Indiana Jones-type Egyptologist and Hilary, who is the childhood best friend of Grace, Amy and Dan’s dead grandmother. Instantly likable, they play an important part in the story.

Amy and Dan learn a little about Gr...more
Alix

I like the book 39 clues”Beyond the Grave” by Jude Watson, because there are a lot of intense situation that happen throughout the book. This is number four in the series.The last book leaves Dan and Amy trapped in a cave. This book continues from there. This book shows you how kids can figure things out by using what they have for resources. It also deals with American history.

Dan and Amy are still in the lead to win the race to be the most powerful family in the world. Someone is always fight...more
Beaulah Pragg
Another excellent book in this ever developing series. I love that reading this book as a young adult, I still get a lot of value and enjoyment out of it. The cover even looks sophisticated enough that I don't feel embarassed reading it at University (when technically I should be studying).

This part of the adventure takes place in Egypt, a place I thought would lend to a great deal of stereotype - Tutankhamen, the Pyramids, the Sphinx - you know the deal. Hence I was pleasantly surprised to find...more
Heather
I'm going to give a generic review of the series. Basically because I'm lazy and don't want to write 39 reviews. Okay, 11.

We finally read Book 1. And then because we liked it so well, the entire series. One son (age 12) has read them all, the second son (also age 12) is on Book 2. And son #3 (age 8) will be starting as soon as he finishes his current book.

I thought the premise of this book very interesting. I loved how they integrated history and geography along with problem-solving skills and c...more
Book #4. But what clue are we on? Will there be 39 books? Have we only had four clues? It seems like we are probably on clue #11.

Okay, so I went on wikipedia and there will be ten books in the series.

These are pretty fun kid's books. Better than the Series of Unfortunate Events, not as good as Percy Jackson (which, in turn, is not as good as Artemis Fowl).

This series is a quick read. I like the clues and the hunt. I get tired of the getting lost from the au pair and the reality that a hunt li...more
Ker Malkin Gesulga
TRUST NO ONE. Amy and Dan should have stuck to that all throughout even if it meant meeting their grandmother's best friend. But it paid off in the end anyways 'cause now, Irina Spasky, their ex-KGB cousin, set sail on the wrong destination. LOL. That goes for the Wizards and the Kabras as well. Still no updates from the Holts.

Thank you Jude Watson for that nice read. Despite a couple of cliches, it was still good. And I was really fascinated by the historical facts about Egypt.

These books may...more
Lady Knight
This was a great installment in the series! It definitely redeemed itself after the less-than-stellar book 3. Once again a new author, a different writing style, and one that I really enjoyed. It was a bit different take on Amy and Dan, with more humour in the mix, but one that I thought worked very well. I also have to praise Jude Watson for her stepping outside the box and telling us some of the past of Irina, Allistair, Bae, and Grace. She delves deep into their motivations and past. Eygpt ce...more
Exina
The story is still adventurous and imaginative, but now it is totally predictable. I’m really interested in Irina’s character, and I hope we’ll meet Ian and Natalie again.

He stood in front of three vitrines lined up in a row. Each held an identical statue of the lion-headed goddess Sakhet. The statues were only about eight inches high and appeared to be made of solid gold. Only their eyes were different. One glittered with green stones, one with red, one with blue.
"Sakhet. The most powerful go
Tarissa
My favorite in the entire 39 Clues series so far. I love the educational adventure that these books bring for kids. I'm quite fascinated with Egypt's history, and since Amy and Dan Cahill find themselves in Egypt for this volume, I was happy to be reading this book. Although it doesn't come from from a Christian perspective exactly, this particular book infused something Christian-related into the plot---VERY, very good, Jude Watson!

Now, there may have been a comment or two that I didn't quite...more
Tori
This book is the best of the series, so far. It follows the further adventures of Dan and Amy as they travel across Egypt with their au pair, Nellie, in search of more clues to solve the mysterious puzzle and learn the truth of their heritage and power. I enjoyed the fact that the characters were more fully developed in this story, and didn't seem just like caricatures. The characters are beginning to show a bit of personality and conflicted feelings. The dialogue is also well done. I even learn...more
Duffy Pratt
Another mediocre installment. Dan and Amy don't seem to be developing at all, while the side characters like Irina and Johah Wizard become more shallow every time they appear. The big mystery here is not the clues, but whether there will ever be any kind of explanation of the Cahill clan. I've given up on the hope that any of this will make sense. There is still a wee bit of fun to be had, but at this point its being overwhelmed by the sheer ridiculousness of it all.
Josh Theriault
Jun 16, 2014 Josh Theriault rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Mystery
Rating: 3/5 Stars

Book 4 of The 39 Clues Series

This book was okay, not the best of the ones I've read so far. I like the mystery of the clues and where they will be headed next, also I like the suspense of when they are getting chased or are in danger.

I would recommend this book to people who like Mystery.
Cathy
A great book! Action, adventure, danger, romance (only a little), betrayal, friendship and love. All of the facts that were missing from book 3 are here in book 4. Maybe a tiny bit too heavy on that; I liked it, but I wonder what the kids will think. I love this series and can't wait for book 5 in August.
Jessica
In this book they are in Egypt. I got kind of confused wile reading this book, but at the end I got all caught up. A few major scenes in this book are when, Amy and Dan are trapped and when they find out that they are being bugged. Overall this was an extremely good book that lots of people will love.
Gwynn
These stories are really interesting, and I cannot wait to read this one. Every book ends in a cliffhanger, and the last book was the defeniton of cliffhanger!! I am waiting to read this book, and I can't wait to do so!!!
Reader
This is my favorite book in the series just really exciting to read. It was great having the children hear from their grandmother and have her help them in a way. Look forward to reading more.
Florian Kirschenbauer
I'm learning a lot about Egypt in this book because it takes place in Egypt. this is helpful because that's what we are studying in school right now.
Evelynn {The Literary Pianist}
When I found out this book was going to be touching on Egyptian history, I was ecstatic. I've been studying the ancient culture of Egypt since I was about ten years old. It is so fascinating! And I know a lot about it, so most of the history that they touched on in this book was review for me. And, the day that I read it, yesterday, I had just watched The Prince of Egypt by Dreamworks. I was definitely in the mood for the setting of this one.

What can I say? It's a 39 Clues book. It had mystery....more
Mackenzie
Ultimately, I have not been too impressed with this series, but book four was the first 39 Clues book that I enjoyed as much as the first one. Maybe it was because there was real emotion in this one. For the first time since book one, I felt like I was able to really connect with the characters, and not just Amy and Dan. Watson did a good job of including a lot of the side Cahills as well.
I still stick by my original decision: that I'll finish the 10 that I have but probably won't go on past th...more
Heather
I didn't like this one as much as the others because I have been to Luxor, one of the cities that they are in, and it was portrayed as what everyone thinks when they think of Egypt. Golden sand, glaringly bright sun, and crumbling temples, statues, and pyramids. This is not what Egypt looks like, picture gray-brown sand, hot dry wind (and sun), crumbling temples, statues, and I don't know about the pyramids (there weren't any Luxor). It was just a little slow in the clue hunt factor. Amy and Dan...more
Alejandro Jofre
Sep 30, 2010 Alejandro Jofre rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My daughter
Recommended to Alejandro by: My SOn
Shelves: ymys
Connor

Would you go on a life threatening, life altering chase, for 39 unknown clues, taking you all over the world, risking your life? Well not only in this book, Beyond the Grave, but in the whole 39 Clues series, that is exactly what Amy, Dan, and Nellie do. In the riveting fifth novel, of the series, Amy, Dan, and Nellie go to Egypt to find the next clue , there first stop is Cairo, where they meet Theo, a tall, museum curator, who helps them escape from Irina Spasky, an Ex- KGB member from Russia...more
Franz Gillian
I chose this book because my friend let me recommended it to me and she let me borrow the series. The book is about two children, Amy and Dan, who has to find the 39 clues before other people do. They go to Egypt to find three golden statues to that leads to a clue left by their grandmother. My favorite quote in this book is “Never regret trusting someone. It proves you have a heart. But if he turns out to be s lying worm…I’m not going to waste my time crying. Because I am way too fabulous for t...more
John
Amy and Dan Cahill now find themselves in Egypt, search for the next of the 39 clues. However, they are starting to question Grace, their beloved grandmother. If she really loved them, then why did she send them on this chase without preparation? Why are they all alone, when all the other teams have support? What did she what from them? An old friend of Grace's arrives on the scene, bringing additional information and additional trouble.

Grace is meant to be the bedrock of the series. So long as...more
Kayla Beck
In this installment of the 39 Clues series by Jude Watson, we find our main characters, Amy and Dan Cahill, in Egypt. They are racing against their relatives to find the clue hidden by Katherine Cahill, the founding member of the Ekaterina branch of the Cahill family. Amy and Dan not only face the danger of their perilous scavenger hunt, but also their doubts of Grace Cahill's (their grandmother) love for them. They meet a host of new characters that are just as exciting and conniving as the opp...more
Jelinas
Beyond the Grave takes the Cahill kids from Japan to Egypt. They're searching for Clue #4 of 39 (and I can only feel a faint throbbing in protest when I think of the 35 books left to go in the series) with the aid of handsome grad student Theo Cotter and his grandmother, Hilary, who was a good friend of Grace Cahill (or was she??? POSSIBLY OBVIOUS SPOILER!!! I KNOW I SAW IT COMING!! Never trust hot guys or their grandmothers!! Let this be a lesson to us all! thanks for the tip, Jude Watson!).

My...more
Sara
4.5 stars. This is, by far, the best installment of the 39 Clues series yet. In this book, Amy and Dan, still on the around-the-world scavenger hunt, racing against little-known relatives, find themselves in Egypt. The author does an amazing job capturing the setting, describing the sights, sounds, and the feel of the country, and the dialogue is great! The characters that we've grown to know over the previous book finally do some growing of their own in this book, adding depth to their personal...more
Kris Padget
I was extremely impressed by this series. I started listening to the Maze of Bones audiobook while at work. I enjoy listening to young adult series as they aren't too difficult to follow while also concentrating on my computer. After listening to the Percy Jackson series 2 or 3 times I figured I'd give this Riordan book a try. I was pleasantly surprised to find a compelling mystery! The Cahill kids are likable protagonists on a bigger adventure then they could ever have imagined having in their...more
Sandra Stiles
Dan and Amy Cahill are still on the hunt for the 39 clues. They have faced one betrayal after another. Now they have reason to suspect that their grandmother was as evil as the other’s in their extended family. They and their au pair Nellie are headed to Egypt to try to find the next clue in the hunt. Here they find that friends aren’t what they think and enemies might not be total enemies. I personally enjoy these mysteries. I wish they were all out at once so I could go from one to the next. I...more
This book looks awesome 8 38 Dec 05, 2012 05:43PM
  • The Black Circle (The 39 Clues, #5)
  • One False Note (The 39 Clues, #2)
  • The Sword Thief (The 39 Clues, #3)
  • Storm Warning (The 39 Clues, #9)
  • Vespers Rising (39 Clues, #11)
  • Into the Gauntlet (The 39 Clues, #10)
  • Shatterproof (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #4)
  • Fireworks (The 39 Clues: Rapid Fire, #7)
  • 39 Clues Agent Handbook
  • Day of Doom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #6)
In Too Deep (The 39 Clues, #6) A King's Ransom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #2) The Dark Rival (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #2) Nowhere to Run (The 39 Clues: Unstoppable, #1) The Hidden Past (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #3)

“Never regret trusting someone. It proves you have a heart. But if he turns out to be a lying worm ... I'm not going to waste my time crying. Because I am way too fabulous for that.” 139 likes
“How do you say yoo-hoo in Arabic?"
"I believe that yoo-hoo could be part of a universal language," Dan said. "Like ow. Or- you're stepping on my foot."
"That's universal?"
"No, you're stepping on my foot. Ow."
Amy moved.”