Start by marking “Beyond the Grave (The 39 Clues, #4)” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Grave (The 39 Clues, #4)

Beyond the Grave (The 39 Clues #4)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  29,897 ratings  ·  716 reviews
Bestselling author Jude Watson whisks Amy and Dan to the tombs of Egypt in the thrill-packed 4th installment of the 39 Clues.

FORMAT: 4 CDs, Unabridged
NARRATOR: David Pittu

A Clue found in Book 3 sends Amy and Dan jetting off to find out just what's behind the fierce rivalry between the Tomas and Ekaterina branches of the Cahill family. Was a Clue stolen from the Tomas branc
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 1st 2009 by Scholastic Audio Books (first published 2009)

Debbie
Jude Watson did a fine job of letting us in on a few more Cahill secrets, but some additional mysteries remain. Amy and Dan have found the next clue and have had a near-run-in with the dreaded Madrigals, who have smashed up the Ekat stronghold in Cairo. Allastair Oh has returned from the dead (once again), the Kabras have been led astray to Lake Tash, and Jonah Wizard and his dad are on the way to Morocco after following a false lead. Hot on their trail is bad girl ex-KGB spy Irina, and we have ...more
Rachel Lightwood
Beyond the Grave is easily the best, and definitely my favourite book of this series - so far. It was action-packed and fast-paced, and the usual unrealistic drama was lessened compared with the last few books. While I still cannot believe that an eleven- and fourteen-year-old could pull off any of this - nor be actually allowed to, at least legally - this book made it easy to ignore that. Maybe its just my soft spot for Egyptian history or... *shrugs*?

Anyway, I liked getting to delve into the
Jeremy Juarez
Amy and Dan continue their look for the next clue,but find some trouble along the way.They were tailed by Irina Spasky,but escape to a store with an Egyptian goddess statue,the Sakhet. They go to the hotel Excelsior and find the Ekaterina stronghold.They find three Sakhets and get trapped by Bae Oh,who is the hotel's owner. When they escape they head for an Egyptian temple and get trapped by Irina and Theo.After Amy and Dan had escaped,they are trapped by Jonah Wizard,who leaves them on a desert ...more
The chase continues as 14 year-old Amy Cahill and her 11 year-old brother Dan rush off to Cairo, Egypt in search of the next clue. You can feel the heat and smell the exotic spices as we catch up with the duo at the Khan market. Two new characters are introduced in this book, Theo, an Indiana Jones-type Egyptologist and Hilary, who is the childhood best friend of Grace, Amy and Dan’s dead grandmother. Instantly likable, they play an important part in the story.

Amy and Dan learn a little about Gr
Tarissa
My favorite in the entire 39 Clues series so far. I love the educational adventure that these books bring for kids. I'm quite fascinated with Egypt's history, and since Amy and Dan Cahill find themselves in Egypt for this volume, I was happy to be reading this book. Although it doesn't come from from a Christian perspective exactly, this particular book infused something Christian-related into the plot---VERY, very good, Jude Watson!

Now, there may have been a comment or two that I didn't quite
Alix

I like the book 39 clues”Beyond the Grave” by Jude Watson, because there are a lot of intense situation that happen throughout the book. This is number four in the series.The last book leaves Dan and Amy trapped in a cave. This book continues from there. This book shows you how kids can figure things out by using what they have for resources. It also deals with American history.

Dan and Amy are still in the lead to win the race to be the most powerful family in the world. Someone is always fight
Beaulah Pragg
Another excellent book in this ever developing series. I love that reading this book as a young adult, I still get a lot of value and enjoyment out of it. The cover even looks sophisticated enough that I don't feel embarassed reading it at University (when technically I should be studying).

This part of the adventure takes place in Egypt, a place I thought would lend to a great deal of stereotype - Tutankhamen, the Pyramids, the Sphinx - you know the deal. Hence I was pleasantly surprised to find
Heather
I'm going to give a generic review of the series. Basically because I'm lazy and don't want to write 39 reviews. Okay, 11.

We finally read Book 1. And then because we liked it so well, the entire series. One son (age 12) has read them all, the second son (also age 12) is on Book 2. And son #3 (age 8) will be starting as soon as he finishes his current book.

I thought the premise of this book very interesting. I loved how they integrated history and geography along with problem-solving skills and c
Book #4. But what clue are we on? Will there be 39 books? Have we only had four clues? It seems like we are probably on clue #11.

Okay, so I went on wikipedia and there will be ten books in the series.

These are pretty fun kid's books. Better than the Series of Unfortunate Events, not as good as Percy Jackson (which, in turn, is not as good as Artemis Fowl).

This series is a quick read. I like the clues and the hunt. I get tired of the getting lost from the au pair and the reality that a hunt li
Ker Malkin Gesulga
TRUST NO ONE. Amy and Dan should have stuck to that all throughout even if it meant meeting their grandmother's best friend. But it paid off in the end anyways 'cause now, Irina Spasky, their ex-KGB cousin, set sail on the wrong destination. LOL. That goes for the Wizards and the Kabras as well. Still no updates from the Holts.

Thank you Jude Watson for that nice read. Despite a couple of cliches, it was still good. And I was really fascinated by the historical facts about Egypt.

These books may
Lady Knight
This was a great installment in the series! It definitely redeemed itself after the less-than-stellar book 3. Once again a new author, a different writing style, and one that I really enjoyed. It was a bit different take on Amy and Dan, with more humour in the mix, but one that I thought worked very well. I also have to praise Jude Watson for her stepping outside the box and telling us some of the past of Irina, Allistair, Bae, and Grace. She delves deep into their motivations and past. Eygpt ce ...more
Exina
The story is still adventurous and imaginative, but now it is totally predictable. I’m really interested in Irina’s character, and I hope we’ll meet Ian and Natalie again.

He stood in front of three vitrines lined up in a row. Each held an identical statue of the lion-headed goddess Sakhet. The statues were only about eight inches high and appeared to be made of solid gold. Only their eyes were different. One glittered with green stones, one with red, one with blue.
"Sakhet. The most powerful go
Tori
This book is the best of the series, so far. It follows the further adventures of Dan and Amy as they travel across Egypt with their au pair, Nellie, in search of more clues to solve the mysterious puzzle and learn the truth of their heritage and power. I enjoyed the fact that the characters were more fully developed in this story, and didn't seem just like caricatures. The characters are beginning to show a bit of personality and conflicted feelings. The dialogue is also well done. I even learn ...more
Linette
So far I'm having so much fun reading this series. Is it a license to make money?

OH YES!

Am I enjoying it?

OH YES!

I love that every book is written by a different author. The different styles keep you from getting stuck in a particular voice. They also give you a taste for different author and therefore of buying another Scholastic book written by that author. Mwahahaha. Did you think we wouldn't get it Scholastic?

I love that the books shift country, Talk about the geography, take you into differ
zapkode.marie
{My Thoughts} – Another wonderful adventure for Amy, Dan and their Au Pair Nellie. In this book they head off to Egypt based on the clues they received in the last book. This book starts out with them in a market place in Cairo, Egypt where they end up encountering Irina! She has a ploy to steal their information and attempt to put them out of commission, however, they manage to get away from her. They end up meeting a guy named Theo and he helps to get them back to Nellie.

Theo then becomes a ma
Duffy Pratt
Another mediocre installment. Dan and Amy don't seem to be developing at all, while the side characters like Irina and Johah Wizard become more shallow every time they appear. The big mystery here is not the clues, but whether there will ever be any kind of explanation of the Cahill clan. I've given up on the hope that any of this will make sense. There is still a wee bit of fun to be had, but at this point its being overwhelmed by the sheer ridiculousness of it all.
Josh Theriault
Nov 10, 2014 Josh Theriault rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like Mystery
Rating: 3/5 Stars

Book 4 of The 39 Clues Series

This book was okay, not the best of the ones I've read so far. I like the mystery of the clues and where they will be headed next, also I like the suspense of when they are getting chased or are in danger.

I would recommend this book to people who like Mystery.
Cathy
A great book! Action, adventure, danger, romance (only a little), betrayal, friendship and love. All of the facts that were missing from book 3 are here in book 4. Maybe a tiny bit too heavy on that; I liked it, but I wonder what the kids will think. I love this series and can't wait for book 5 in August.
Jessica
In this book they are in Egypt. I got kind of confused wile reading this book, but at the end I got all caught up. A few major scenes in this book are when, Amy and Dan are trapped and when they find out that they are being bugged. Overall this was an extremely good book that lots of people will love.
Gwynn
These stories are really interesting, and I cannot wait to read this one. Every book ends in a cliffhanger, and the last book was the defeniton of cliffhanger!! I am waiting to read this book, and I can't wait to do so!!!
Heidi Olivia
This is better. Maybe because of the setting? Cairo, exploring tombs of dead Egyptian queens. Plus Watson has created a dashing Indiana-Jones archaelogist character, albeit minor character - Theo, who's quite err, swashbuckling.
Also Watson's writing and action scenes are exciting, to put it mildly. So, this one is great reading.
And my complaints on my review of Book #3 are kinda rebutted, in some part, here, i.e. why did Grace Cahill set it up that her own grandchildren seemed to be less prepa
Tendril Zam
i like all the series in this book, we get to see how greed can change a person, Amy fears that this quest for the 39 clues is gonna affect Dan and her relationship as they are becoming, or thats what Amy feels, more like the other Cahills. They have discovered that there grandma Grace Cahill has left them clues and even prepared them for this quest even though she never told the personally that the hunt for 39 clues was gonna start. they still feels as if there grandma is still alive, she has l ...more
Reader
This is my favorite book in the series just really exciting to read. It was great having the children hear from their grandmother and have her help them in a way. Look forward to reading more.
Evan
I thought this book was very good because of the action, thrills, and cliff hangers. I coulden't put down the book it was so interesting. I would dedicate this book to kids 12 and under.
Bookslia
WHO THE HELL ARE THE MADRIGALS??

So we travel to Egypt this time. No Holts & Kabras (they're at Lake Tash). Comrade Irina came!!

Jonah and his daddy were there; as contributors to the humor & suspense.

There were two minor characters, exclusive to the book. Theo & Hilary.

Nellie fell in love.

Amy & Dan got marooned with an Arabic Red Sox fanatic fisherman & a croc.

Pretty darn random stuff.

There was hummus & baba ghanoush.

Everything was pretty straightforward.

Dan & Amy
Florian Kirschenbauer
I'm learning a lot about Egypt in this book because it takes place in Egypt. this is helpful because that's what we are studying in school right now.
Fey Truet
The pace for the 39 clues has slown down a bit in this book, but not in a bad way. I mean, imagine looking for clues left by your feuding extended family from over a hundred years ago. That is exactly the problem Amy and Dan face.

That and the fact that, family-wise, they are on their and only have each other.

In the race for the 39 clues Amy and Dan only have each other and the memory of their grandma, but it comes to play that in a game where the only rule is "Trust No One" that their bonds may
Lady Flo
Whenever I think the story is mess-up, it turns out to be exciting and gorgeous.
Mackenzie
Ultimately, I have not been too impressed with this series, but book four was the first 39 Clues book that I enjoyed as much as the first one. Maybe it was because there was real emotion in this one. For the first time since book one, I felt like I was able to really connect with the characters, and not just Amy and Dan. Watson did a good job of including a lot of the side Cahills as well.
I still stick by my original decision: that I'll finish the 10 that I have but probably won't go on past th
Heather
I didn't like this one as much as the others because I have been to Luxor, one of the cities that they are in, and it was portrayed as what everyone thinks when they think of Egypt. Golden sand, glaringly bright sun, and crumbling temples, statues, and pyramids. This is not what Egypt looks like, picture gray-brown sand, hot dry wind (and sun), crumbling temples, statues, and I don't know about the pyramids (there weren't any Luxor). It was just a little slow in the clue hunt factor. Amy and Dan ...more
This book looks awesome 8 39 Dec 05, 2012 05:43PM
  • One False Note (The 39 Clues, #2)
  • The Sword Thief (The 39 Clues, #3)
  • The Black Circle (The 39 Clues, #5)
  • Storm Warning (The 39 Clues, #9)
  • Vespers Rising (The 39 Clues, #11)
  • Into the Gauntlet (The 39 Clues, #10)
  • The Black Book of Buried Secrets
  • Shatterproof (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #4)
  • Hunted (The 39 Clues: Rapid Fire, #3)

The 39 Clues (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Maze of Bones  (The 39 Clues, #1)
  • One False Note (The 39 Clues, #2)
  • The Sword Thief (The 39 Clues, #3)
  • The Black Circle (The 39 Clues, #5)
  • In Too Deep (The 39 Clues, #6)
  • The Viper's Nest (39 Clues, #7)
  • The Emperor's Code (The 39 Clues, #8)
  • Storm Warning (The 39 Clues, #9)
  • Into the Gauntlet (The 39 Clues, #10)
  • Vespers Rising (The 39 Clues, #11)
In Too Deep (The 39 Clues, #6) A King's Ransom (The 39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #2) Nowhere to Run (The 39 Clues: Unstoppable, #1) The Dark Rival (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #2) The Hidden Past (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, #3)

“Never regret trusting someone. It proves you have a heart. But if he turns out to be a lying worm ... I'm not going to waste my time crying. Because I am way too fabulous for that.” 163 likes
“How do you say yoo-hoo in Arabic?"
"I believe that yoo-hoo could be part of a universal language," Dan said. "Like ow. Or- you're stepping on my foot."
"That's universal?"
"No, you're stepping on my foot. Ow."
Amy moved.”