Fishing for Stars

Fishing for Stars (The Persimmon Tree #2)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  683 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Nick Duncan is a semi-retired, wealthy shipping magnate who lives in idyllic Beautiful Bay, Vanuatu, where he is known as the old patriarch of the islands. He is grieving the loss of his beguiling Eurasian true love, Anna, and is suffering for the first time from disturbing flashbacks to the Second World War. So he puts pen to paper and tells the compelling tale of the lif...more
Audio CD
Published January 1st 2008 by Bolinda Publishing

Nancyspain
I have very mixed feelings about the book. I should have rated it when I was three quarters of the way through it and I would have then given it four stars! I loved the characters of Anna and Nick and was fascinated by both their histories, together and separately, and loved the detailed descriptions of the different customs of Japan. I got very immersed in that section of the book. The third main character Marg, however, did not work for me. Despite the writer's descriptions of her character sh...more
Jo
I struggled with this - I wanted to finish it for completeness, having read and liked but not loved The Persimmon Tree, but found Nick's self-justification of his lifelong obsession with having sex with Anna to be rather nauseating, and she was basically an evil bitch who got away with it because she was beautiful. Marg was both more interesting and more likeable, but we don't get the end of her story, and the whole book is really quite disjointed, and overly long. I did find the history parts i...more
Michelle
I will probably never read another Bryce Courtenay book again after reading Fishing for Stars - an exercise in boredom, predictability and blatant disregard for the reader's intelligence. Fishing for Stars appeared to be a recipe/formula of sex, ego, arrogance and predictability that one could find in any second-rate novel written by any novice writing a formula-based collection of words to create a perception of depth and originality. Power of One, Jessica, two exceptional books by Bryce Courte...more
I found this book worked well through parts one and two, but it all fell apart in part three for me. The jump from Japan to other seemingly unrelated specifics on business and politics in Australia and elsewhere really bored me. It dragged on in minute details that seemed not to advance the plot. An overall disappointment for me.

Personally I'm starting to feel like Courtenay writes rather similar characters overhand over. I've read The Power of One, Tandia, Jessica, Brother Fish and Fishing for...more
Katrina
Jul 23, 2010 Katrina rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I would Recommend Other Courtenay Books before This One
Cindy
Bryce Courtenay's "Power of One" is on many a reader's top ten list, so when I saw this, I just picked it up, thinking it would be ok at least. Umm... no.

This is apparently a sequel to "The Persimmon Tree," which I have not read, but is generally well received. I feel like I have to read that book now. I've already vested 700 pages of my life in these two characters, Anna and Nick (I consider Marg inconsequential) and I don't want it to be wasted.

Thelma2222
Eh. A man's view of the women in his life where he seldom hits the mark & of course everyone is fabulously rich living in the South Pacific.
The plot line itself jumps around & his ramblings become increasingly intolerable as the book goes on, yet it wasn't SO horrible that I couldn't finish The book. However I did have to skip thru many of the long winded rhetoric.
Not a keeper.
Mipps
I've read all of Bryce Courtney books, but this one left me cold. I didn't finish it...so boring.
Shana
Janice
Janice
This sequel to The Persimmon Tree is set on the island nation of Vanuatu where Nick Duncan resided after WWII.

There some parts that were a bit dry while others were very engaging. The rivalty between the two women in Nick's life had me quite angry in parts. I was angry with both women as well as with Nick. I was also a little annoyed at the author.

I was incredulous that he would make these women so strong and so weak at the same time, and Nick so unable to cope with them. They almost emasculated...more
Don Darkes
I wanted to hate my First Bryce Courtenay book. I am a writer myself and jealous of his success. I seldom read fiction and when I do I am easily bored.I read it because I had nothing else and was hard up. Now I shall have to google a recipe for humble pie. Despite myself I could not put it down. I am already looking at my wife's collection of Courtenay's and wondering which one shall be my next. Persimmon Tree I think, no maybe Fortune Cookie....

So, unlike the educated and well informed critics-...more
Lauren
This is definitely not his best. I was bored silly. After reading most of Courtney's books and enjoying and finishing them all, this one I could not. I highly recommend Jack of Diamonds, Power Of One, Jessica, Whitethorn. The prequel, Persimmon Tree was better.
Karen
Probably really a 3 1/2 star book but I did enjoy it.
I read The Persimon Tree and this one back to back because I was so into the story of Anna and Nick. Bryce Courtenay has a way of fully involving you with characters so you feel you really know them, these books are no different. I really enjoyed these 2 books and even though he does digress in places definitely worth a read.
Meg
I really enjoyed this book. It was a great mix of fact and fiction.

The main character Nicholas, son of a preacher who escaped the Japanese invasion of Java spends his life loving two women, both strong and determined but with opposing views on life. Each woman has a full and successful life with Nicholas as the constant, and although he has a successful career in his own right, the book is more about their careers.

I learnt a lot about the plight of the Tasmanian wilderness society and and their...more
Kathleen Hagen
This is the sequel to “The Persimmon Tree” in which we again see Nick Duncan, older now, recounting his married life with Anna, including a trip back to Japan to put to rest her ghosts, her business enterprises, and the return to Marg Hamilton, the only other woman he has truly loved. He manages to work out an arrangement to be with both very strong and polar opposite women. The characters are equally strong in this book. Courtenay write such wonderful epic Australian novels, and Humphrey Bower...more
Tania
quotes#597835 from my notebook

Anna once explained to me that winning wasn't always about reaching the top of the mountain; sometimes whoever clung longest to the cliff-face without falling was the ultimate winner. "Business seldom has a formal start and definite finish but is more like a constant cliff climb," she'd said. "After you've won, you keep climbing."
"Righto, we'll wait. But as far as I'm concerned, stuff 'em. Plenty more ships in the sea." p145

He was always careful to bend this young a...more
Janine
Much too long and overly descriptive. I didn't relate to any of the characters. The Japanese part was the most interesting but I still skipped lots of it.
Bronwyn Rykiert
I can't listen to this story any more and I not even half way through it. Nick and Anna are in Japan and Anna has just been rescued after being kidnapped. I find I really do not like Anna and I don't understand Nick's obsessions with her. She seems selfish, keeps too many secrets and is a drug addict who does not want to give up. I don't really like Nick much better probably because of his obsession with Anna and she has a major hang up. This is my first Bryce Courtenay book and I don't know if...more
An intriguing story about a man and the two incredibly strong, and incredibly different, women in his life. The two women really spring to life on the pages, but the narrator, Nick, remains somewhat one-dimensional. I did learn a lot about Japanese culture, which was fascinating. However, with the exception of April Fool's Day, none of Courtenay's books have ever matched The Power of One, for me. He seems to have trouble with endings, and I felt that this book was about 100 pages longer than it...more
Lisa
Not Bruce Courtenay's best novel. I didn't realise this book was a sequel to The Persimmon Tree but Bryce gives you enough information to catch up on the earlier novel. The book is about a man who amazingly manages to spend most of his adult life switching between two women that he equally loves. It is a strange concept and draws in loads of issues that concern me, like environmental conversation. This should have been a book to read in winter as it is set and focused on such nice warm climates!...more
Bron
I listened to this as an audiobook, and the reader did a wonderful job, his accents for the different characters were greatA fantastic story about the lifetime of Nick Duncan, and the love of his life Anna. It outlines their hardships and successes and takes place in a variety of countries. I was interested in how he entwined the story of the lakes in Tasmania into the story, a great reminder of something that was happening when I was a child that I had forgotten about!
Jenna Garrett
Not a fan. I enjoyed Power of One (many years ago) but Courtenay didn't do it for me this time. I disliked the characters (especially Nick, the shallow and misogynistic protagonist) and the narrative was full of nauseating cliches (if he talked one more time about the "one-eyed snake" or the way his lover's legs looked in stilettos I would have barfed). May not have finished it but it was my only audiobook on a long road trip so I stuck it out. Not recommended.
Toni Hambilton
This book continues on from The Persimmon Tree, a book I thoroughly enjoyed. I'm struggling with this book. I'm afraid I'm find Bryce Courtney rather boring, though I'll give it a fair go and continue reading. I'm afraid I've read another one in the mean-time though, but I'll get back to Fishing for Stars, because I've read all his books and by the end feel quite satisfied, though they don't have the rush that many other authors have.
Polina
Sequel to Persimmon Tree but has not "can't put it down" appeal of it. Read more like a memoir and even through I live in Vanuatu and was interested in reading it's history and development, as far as Courney's books go this one is one of the worst I read yet. Characters and plot are not engaging although the details various historical and cultural references are of interest and expanded my knowledge somewhat.
Rosemary May
i did not know that this was a sequel to a previous novel, maybe have i known i mite have given it one more or one less star. it seem to me that most of the book was mainly about the relationship with anna. more so then the margs. anna story with a look into Japanese culture "new japan , old japan" made for an interesting insight of japan history.
Peg Lotvin
I love bryce Courtenay books, even this one. It wasn't his best though. His research on history natural and otherwise is always perfect, but the theme of one guy equally loving two opposing women for nearly his whole life, leaves a bit to be desired. Try The Power of One if you want Bryce at his best, or Matthew Flinders Cat or Brother Fish.
Matthew Bushnell
This was not one of Courtenay's better books in my opinion. It was a bit of hard work to get through even as an audio. Some interesting concepts though as one man tells of his intriguing "love triangle". Caught between issues of environment and extreme capitalism, the book explores numerous political issues entwined in a complicated love story.
Vicky
It was an entertaining enough read, but I wasn't particularly thrilled - the story was interesting in parts but didn't really capture me, and the characters had lost something I can't name since the previous book.
I think I would have liked it more if I hadn't read the persimmon tree first.
Jenna Mills
I didn't like this as much as the first book. I obviously ended up disliking Anna immensely and couldn't understand why he put up with how she treated him, and how incredibly selfish she was in all things. It was such a shame that she turned into that after being such a gutsy teenager.
  • Hunting Season
  • Death Run (Rich and Jade, #2)
  • Tears of the Moon
  • Angel Eyes
  • The Bone is Pointed
  • The Queen's Sorrow
  • Enemy in Sight (Richard Bolitho, #12)
  • My Animals and Other Family
  • The Edge of Evolution: The Search for the Limits of Darwinism
  • It's Classified (Charlotte Kramer, #2)
  • The Copper Bracelet
  • The Chessmen (Lewis Trilogy, #3)
  • Eleven Hours
  • The Touch
  • The Labyrinth of Osiris
  • Joshua Then and Now
  • Accused (Scott Fenney #2)
  • My Sweet Folly
I was born illegitimately in 1933 in South Africa and spent my early childhood years in a small town deep in the heart of the Lebombo mountains.

It was a somewhat isolated community and I grew up among farm folk and the African people. At the age of five I was sent to a boarding school which might be better described as a combination orphanage and reform school, where I learned to box - though less...more
More about Bryce Courtenay...
The Power of One Tandia Jessica The Potato Factory (The Potato Factory, #1) April Fool's Day