Start by marking “Indulekha” as Want to Read:
Indulekha

Indulekha

Indulekha is widely held to be the first Malayalam novel. It is a depiction of Nair society in the late nineteenth century with a love story at its core.
Published April 1st 2005 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1889)

Vivek G
Sep 18, 2011 Vivek G rated it really liked it
It is really amazing how I could relate so easily to the characters in the book who belonged to the generation of my great great grand parents at least.
And a story woven in such a simple and detailed manner!
Jessy
Feb 17, 2013 Jessy rated it really liked it
Nice novel... The character of INDHULEKHA clearly describes what meant by the word female.
Parvathy
Jan 14, 2015 Parvathy rated it really liked it
In keeping with my resolution to read more translations. Supposedly this was the first novel in Malayalam. The period description of a late 19th century Kerala tharavaad is fascinating. The English translation isn't terribly inspiring, and the story is a pretty tame love story in the context of today's times. But some of the views expressed must have been revolutionary for the times - debates about atheism, women being English-educated, the Nair marriage system etc.. Quite an introduction to Mal ...more
Mohamad
a little boring.... almost like reading an old drama script
Haris  Marar
that was a different experience
Deepa's Reading Journal
If you categorize this book as SATIRE..i would give it a five star...it was ridiculous funny and educational ...I read this , as it's my mother's favorite book in her youth ( she read it as a comedy too!!)..she loves how funny the text reads in the Malayalam..but mainly SHE LOVES INDULEKHA (said it reminded her of her mother ) and now so do I..
Best part of the book:
1.The character Indulekha..enough said
2.All the mindbogglingly GOVINDAS!!!!!!
3.The Infamous Chapter 18 "A Conversation" (I was real
Akshay Joy
Jun 06, 2013 Akshay Joy rated it liked it
ഈ ബുകക വായിചചു തീർനനപപോൾ മനസിലേക ആദയം ഓടി വനനത ഒരു ഡയലോഗ ആണ , "പെണണിന അനനും ഇനനും എനനും പണം തനനെ കമുകാൻ," എനനാൽ ഇനദുലേഖ ആ അലിഘിത നിയമം പാതര സരഷടി ആണെങകിൽ കൂടി തിരുതതി എഴുതുനനത കാണാൻ തനനെ ഒരു സുഖം . ലകഷണമൊതത ആദയതതെ മലയാള നോവൽ എനനലല ഇതിനെ വിളികേണടത മറിചചു ലകഷണമൊതത ആദയതതെ പരേമ കാവയം എനന വിളികനാണ എനികകിഷടം ..... 18 Chapteril നിരീശരതവവും ഈശവര വിശവാസവും തമിലുളള സംവാദം ഒരു പരിധി വരെ ഒരറിവ സമമാനിചചെങകിലും വലലാതെ വിവരിചചത അതരകങങു സുഖായിലല ... അത കഴിഞഞു എനതിനോ ഇനതയൻ സവാതനതരയ സമരതതിലേക ബനധിപപിചചതും സാമൂഹയ ...more
Rohit
Mar 08, 2013 Rohit rated it liked it
Shelves: 1malayalam
Perhaps the value of this book is its historical importance. May be all pioneers are special. Like the hit bollywood film 'Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge'. I remember myself thinking that even though it was a very good movie, i had seen similar films before. It was then that someone told me that it was the first movie of its kind and people hadn't watched such a movie before and that was what made it special. May be. Anyway i think every Malayali would want to read this book.
Athul Raj
May 24, 2015 Athul Raj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: malayalam
ഇനദുലേഖ മലയാളതതിലെ ആദയതതെ നോവൽ ആണെങകിലും, മികക വായനകകാരും വായിചച ആദയതതെ മലയാള നോവൽ ഇതായിരികകിലല. ഇപപോഴതതെ നോവലുകളിൽ നിനനും ഏറെ വയതയസഥമാണ ഈ കൃതി - രചനാശൈലിയിലും, ഭാഷയിലും എലലാം. ഒരു നൂററാണടിനു മുൻപുളള കാരയങങളാണിതിൽ വിവരികകുനനത. ആയതിനാൽ അവയിൽ പലതും ഇനന അപരിഷകൃതം എനനു തോനനുമെങകിലും അനന പുരോഗമനാശയങങൾ നിറഞഞു നിനനിരുനന കൃതിയാണിത. മലയാളികൾ തീർചചയായും വായിചചിരികകേണട നോവൽ. ...more
Jyothy Sreedhar
Jul 20, 2012 Jyothy Sreedhar rated it really liked it
More than the pattern of translation, I loved the original thread that was translated in English. The english translation had mistakes here and there that were affecting the meaning part itself. It was when I had to teach this english book that I really read it- the original as well as the translation. Loved the character called Indulekha who accurately describes about what it is meant to be called a 'female'.
Babu
Oct 29, 2015 Babu rated it liked it
When we go through Indulekha now, it gives an interesting reading. The social system prevalant those days has been beautifully brought out. Unlike the present day novels, the author comes some times and gives his lecture.
This work is almost 100 years old when there was no mentionable novels written in common man's language. That's why the book received a lot of appreciation then.
Darsana
Jan 19, 2016 Darsana rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The first novel of Malayalam. I can't believe that a woman on those days were so determined and brave. A brave attempt by the author. Indulekha is really an encouraging character and her confidence makes you spell bound. I am her fan from the time I read the book. Her first conversations with the hero are one of my favorite scenes
Nijo Raju
Jan 25, 2015 Nijo Raju rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think chanthu Menon is the 1st person to introduce something called fillers. !!
A very good book however.
Athira
Mar 19, 2014 Athira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intersting love story of induleakha and madavan
S L Faisal S L Faisal
Beautiful with a scent of Kerala
Unnikrishnan Rajan
Crappy book. Had to read only because it was a textbook. Horrible story, language....I wish I never had to read it.
Shobith
Apr 29, 2014 Shobith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
its a great novel known as first complete novel of malayalm. Iam fan of indulekha..i even thought that i will name my daughter(If i get a daughter) indulekha..
Dr.Anju
Nov 15, 2014 Dr.Anju rated it really liked it
A slow read,very descriptive and mesmerizing of a typical era of the matrilineal Nair society and the dominant Brahmnin traditions.
Rajkumar R
May 01, 2012 Rajkumar R rated it liked it
love the second chapter a lot.
Shweta Suresh
Shweta Suresh rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Akhil
Akhil rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Remya Sasi
Remya Sasi rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2016
Sree raj
Sree raj rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Archana Vinod kumar
Archana Vinod kumar rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2014
Neema
Neema rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2014
Shweta Sasindhran
Shweta Sasindhran rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015
Shivapriya S
Shivapriya S rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Syama
Syama rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2015
Aryadevi Rajeev
Aryadevi Rajeev rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2016
  • The Saga of Dharmapuri
  • പാതിരാവും പകൽവെളിച്ചവും | Pathiravum pakalvelichavum
  • ഒരു തെരുവിന്റെ കഥ | Oru Theruvinte Katha
  • നക്ഷത്രങ്ങളേ കാവല്‍ | Nakshathrangale Kaval
  • പാലേരി മാണിക്യം ഒരു പാതിരാക്കൊലപാതകത്തിന്റെ കഥ |  Paleri Manikyam: Oru Pathirakolapathakathinte Katha
  • അടയാളങ്ങള്‍ | Adayalangal
  • Haimavatabhoovil
  • മാര്‍ത്താണ്ഡവര്‍മ്മ | Marthandavarma
  • ഐതിഹ്യമാല | Aithihyamala
  • Baalyakaala Smaranakal | ബാല്യകാലസ്മരണകൾ
Rao Bahadur Oyyarathu Chandu Menon (also known as O. Chandu Menon) (1847–1899) was a Malayalam language novelist from Kerala state, India. He is the author of Indlulekha, the first major novel in Malayalam.
More about O. Chandu Menon...