Start by marking “Chernobyl: Confessions of a Reporter” as Want to Read:
Chernobyl: Confessions of a Reporter

Chernobyl: Confessions of a Reporter

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  13 reviews
On April 26, 1986, Reactor #4 at the V. I. Lenin Nuclear Power Plant near Chernobyl exploded, releasing 400 times more radioactive matter than the bombing of Hiroshima. Igor Kostin, then a reporter for the Novosti Agency, took the very first photograph of the accident, continuing to endure massive radiation overexposure to document the disaster for the International Atomic ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Umbrage Editions (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Chernobyl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chernobyl

Rebecca McNutt
This book was fantastic, frightening and intense; Kostin's photography was not only done with the superiority of celluloid film over digital, but he documents one of the most well-known environmental tragedies with pictures worth a thousand words, doing everything to capture the emotion, fear and truth of this horrible accident. From risking his own life to get the first photograph of the meltdown, to sharing Chernobyl's hazardous legacy with the world, Kostin takes readers on a journey through ...more
Paola
Io lo posseggo in italiano, nessuna voglia di fare una nuova schedalibro. Quindi.
Se qualcuno che conoscete vi decanta il nucleare o fosse anche solo possibilista, fateglielo leggere, guardare le fotografie, poi gli proponete di fare una bella centrale vicino al suo ridente paesello o città. Vediamo che vi risponde. La Svizzera dopo Fukushima uscirà dal nucleare in circa 20anni. Tardi, ma non é mai troppo tardi per farlo, se fosse per me domani é già troppo tardi.
La testimonianza di Igor Kostin v
Wes Metz
Photojournalist Igor Kostin was flying in a helicopter over Chernobyl reactor number four (or what was left of it) within hours of the accident; his photos of the immediate aftermath, followed by more images in the subsequent months and years, are a moving portrait of the human tragedy brought on by the inherent flaws of the Communist system. The courage of the men sent in to attempt to contain the radiation storm is incredible; the bravery of the 'liquidators' who would receive a lifetime dose ...more
Dachokie
Ominously Graphic Account of a Forgotten Tragedy ...

I was a sophomore in college on April 26, 1985 when the news of Chernobyl broke. I remember sitting with friends in my dorm room when someone down the hall prompted us to adjust our television's aluminum foil "rabbit ears" to see the news of an explosion at a nuclear reactor in the Soviet Union. Looking back, I recall two simultaneous reactions: 1) This may be serious and 2) It's the Soviet Union, so we'll never hear the truth about what really
Chris
This is a fantastic photo-journalistic account by Igor Kostin who was one of the first members of the media on site directly after the disaster. Through words and photographs you can see his love for the people who gave so much to protect others during this time. He continued to return to the area for years to come and shares his observations, thoughts and fears throughout the book.

I first learned about him through the Discovery Channel's documentary, The True Battle of Chernobyl and would highl
Mesha
"When heroes don't have names, they are treated as though they don't exist. And they disappear." I.K
Jenny
This is a compilation of ground zero photographs of the Chernobyl reactor, Pripyat, and the surrounding villages at different points immediately after (and years after) the explosion. Igor Kostin got a press pass from Moscow and documented the reactor, the cleanup effort, and the illnesses it caused in those who participated and the children born years afterward. These are the most firsthand photographs I've ever seen of Chernobyl and its disastrous effects.
Zaz
Moving and sad. Under the Chernobyl sarcophagus rest courage and altruism.

Soldiers and people gave their lives to save the world against the radiations and few persons know about it. Because of this, these books matter, and this one is a good way to pay a tribute to common heroes, through the words and photographies of a survivor.
We need more of this in our history school books, mankind has to learn that carelessness can have an heavy cost.
Dawn
I've read several books about the Chernobyl incident, looked up info on the Internet, and watched the few documentaries I could find. This book contains photos I had never seen before. The author lived with the clean-up crews for months, and spent a lot of time photographing the plant and the surrounding area. Not much scientific detail here, but a very personal account of the early days after the incident.
Diana
Chilling! Igor Kostin is a photographer journalist and this is his account of the Chernobyl disaster. Each chapter begins with a journal like entry and then several pages of photographs. It is an amazing book.
Charles
Shocking.. Probably one of the few honest stories I have read about the disaster
Reade Adams
Astounding photographs...
Stalfos
Stalfos marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Anssi
Anssi marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Caitlin Chapman-rambo
Caitlin Chapman-rambo marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Steve Parcell
Steve Parcell marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Manda
Manda marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Konstantin Arendt
Konstantin Arendt marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Raminta
Raminta marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Alicia Claseman
Alicia Claseman marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Heather Anderson
Heather Anderson marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
  • Red Princess: A Revolutionary Life
  • The Harvest of Sorrow: Soviet Collectivization and the Terror-Famine
  • Sillamäe passioon
  • Damned: An Illustrated History of the Devil
  • Minu Ameerika. Reportaaže ja pihtimusi 2003-2006 (Minu..., # 1).
  • A Girl Called Jack