Start by marking “Chernobyl: Confessions of a Reporter” as Want to Read:
Chernobyl: Confessions of a Reporter

Chernobyl: Confessions of a Reporter

On April 26, 1986, Reactor #4 at the V. I. Lenin Nuclear Power Plant near Chernobyl exploded, releasing 400 times more radioactive matter than the bombing of Hiroshima. Igor Kostin, then a reporter for the Novosti Agency, took the very first photograph of the accident, continuing to endure massive radiation overexposure to document the disaster for the International Atomic ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 240 pages
Published April 1st 2006 by Umbrage Editions (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Chernobyl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chernobyl

Rebecca McNutt
May 24, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic, frightening and intense; Kostin's photography was not only done with the superiority of celluloid film over digital, but he documents one of the most well-known environmental tragedies with pictures worth a thousand words, doing everything to capture the emotion, fear and truth of this horrible accident. From risking his own life to get the first photograph of the meltdown, to sharing Chernobyl's hazardous legacy with the world, Kostin takes readers on a journey through ...more
Paola
Dec 17, 2011 Paola rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fotografia
Io lo posseggo in italiano, nessuna voglia di fare una nuova schedalibro. Quindi.
Se qualcuno che conoscete vi decanta il nucleare o fosse anche solo possibilista, fateglielo leggere, guardare le fotografie, poi gli proponete di fare una bella centrale vicino al suo ridente paesello o città. Vediamo che vi risponde. La Svizzera dopo Fukushima uscirà dal nucleare in circa 20anni. Tardi, ma non é mai troppo tardi per farlo, se fosse per me domani é già troppo tardi.
La testimonianza di Igor Kostin v
Wes Metz
Mar 17, 2014 Wes Metz rated it really liked it
Photojournalist Igor Kostin was flying in a helicopter over Chernobyl reactor number four (or what was left of it) within hours of the accident; his photos of the immediate aftermath, followed by more images in the subsequent months and years, are a moving portrait of the human tragedy brought on by the inherent flaws of the Communist system. The courage of the men sent in to attempt to contain the radiation storm is incredible; the bravery of the 'liquidators' who would receive a lifetime dose ...more
Dachokie
Nov 01, 2011 Dachokie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other
Ominously Graphic Account of a Forgotten Tragedy ...

I was a sophomore in college on April 26, 1985 when the news of Chernobyl broke. I remember sitting with friends in my dorm room when someone down the hall prompted us to adjust our television's aluminum foil "rabbit ears" to see the news of an explosion at a nuclear reactor in the Soviet Union. Looking back, I recall two simultaneous reactions: 1) This may be serious and 2) It's the Soviet Union, so we'll never hear the truth about what really
Sabit
Mar 21, 2016 Sabit rated it it was amazing
Great visual glimpse into the heart and aftermath of tragedy. Highly recommended for people who are interested in the Chernobyl disaster and its impact on the environment and peoples lives.
Chris
Dec 09, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic photo-journalistic account by Igor Kostin who was one of the first members of the media on site directly after the disaster. Through words and photographs you can see his love for the people who gave so much to protect others during this time. He continued to return to the area for years to come and shares his observations, thoughts and fears throughout the book.

I first learned about him through the Discovery Channel's documentary, The True Battle of Chernobyl and would highl
Mesha
Dec 02, 2014 Mesha rated it really liked it
"When heroes don't have names, they are treated as though they don't exist. And they disappear." I.K
Jenny
Jun 01, 2012 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfic
This is a compilation of ground zero photographs of the Chernobyl reactor, Pripyat, and the surrounding villages at different points immediately after (and years after) the explosion. Igor Kostin got a press pass from Moscow and documented the reactor, the cleanup effort, and the illnesses it caused in those who participated and the children born years afterward. These are the most firsthand photographs I've ever seen of Chernobyl and its disastrous effects.
Zaz
Moving and sad. Under the Chernobyl sarcophagus rest courage and altruism.

Soldiers and people gave their lives to save the world against the radiations and few persons know about it. Because of this, these books matter, and this one is a good way to pay a tribute to common heroes, through the words and photographies of a survivor.
We need more of this in our history school books, mankind has to learn that carelessness can have an heavy cost.
Dawn
Jun 21, 2008 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chernobyl
I've read several books about the Chernobyl incident, looked up info on the Internet, and watched the few documentaries I could find. This book contains photos I had never seen before. The author lived with the clean-up crews for months, and spent a lot of time photographing the plant and the surrounding area. Not much scientific detail here, but a very personal account of the early days after the incident.
Diana
Jul 25, 2012 Diana rated it it was amazing
Chilling! Igor Kostin is a photographer journalist and this is his account of the Chernobyl disaster. Each chapter begins with a journal like entry and then several pages of photographs. It is an amazing book.
Charles
Jun 07, 2011 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shocking.. Probably one of the few honest stories I have read about the disaster
Reade Adams
Nov 28, 2012 Reade Adams rated it it was amazing
Astounding photographs...
Jonathan Kidd
Mar 27, 2013 Jonathan Kidd rated it it was amazing
stunning
Tina Pearson
Tina Pearson marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Rejoice
Rejoice marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Laura Belshaw
Laura Belshaw marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Leeleet
Leeleet marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Macarena
Macarena marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Bożena Woroniecka
Bożena Woroniecka marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Sapphire
Sapphire marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Dasha
Dasha marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Lorena Pedrajas López
Lorena Pedrajas López marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Puja Kamdar
Puja Kamdar marked it as to-read
Anna Crawford
Anna Crawford marked it as to-read
Wing-yu
Wing-yu marked it as to-read
  • Ablaze: The Story of the Heroes and Victims of Chernobyl
  • The Truth About Chernobyl
  • Wormwood Forest: A Natural History of Chernobyl
  • Zones of Exclusion: Pripyat and Chernobyl
  • Life Exposed: Biological Citizens after Chernobyl
  • Borderland: A Journey Through the History of Ukraine
  • Minu Ameerika 2. Ülestähendusi unelmatemaalt 2003-2007 (Minu..., # 2)
  • The Great Hurricane: 1938
  • Rising Tide: The Untold Story Of The Russian Submarines That Fought The Cold War
  • True North: Travels in Arctic Europe
  • Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster
  • Red Princess: A Revolutionary Life
  • Gone at 3:17: The Untold Story of the Worst School Disaster in American History
  • The Harvest of Sorrow: Soviet Collectivization and the Terror-Famine
  • Alamo in the Ardennes: The Untold Story of the American Soldiers Who Made the Defense of Bastogne Possible
  • Damned: An Illustrated History of the Devil