Getting to 50/50: How Working Couples Can Have It All by Sharing It All

Getting to 50/50: How Working Couples Can Have It All by Sharing It All

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Sharon Meers and Joanna Strober are professionals, wives, and mothers with five young children between them. They understand the challenges and rewards of two-career households. They also know that families thrive not in spite of working mothers but because of them. You can have a great career, a great marriage, and be a great mother. The key is tapping into your best reso...more
Published February 24th 2009 by Bantam (first published 2009)

Pamela
A must read for any woman who wants to do it all. Short answer: it's not possible, so ask your husband to be a part of your choices. Practical, funny, and sensitive, this book is an essential tool-kit for working couples who plan to have kids someday. Many chapters are more specific to women's issues, but it's important for men and women to understand the complex choices working mothers face. I also liked this book because it helped move me away from my perfectionist tendencies.
LAWonder10 Worley
Getting to 50'50 is written for working parents, trying to juggle home and family. It's primary objective is to aid parents in a working an acceptable solution to the problems that evolve when both parents try to build their careers without neglecting their children in any way.
The book is divided in to three parts. Part one entails the virtues of having both parents working. Part two centers on getting rid of "myths" about both parents working. Part three suggests ways to make the 50/50 theory w...more
Jac
Jun 10, 2012 Jac rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jac by: A coworker
Must read for all women who are or ever plan to be in a relationship and/or have children. This book explores all the reasons why women leave the workplace after having children (or even before having children), and tackles each one with a non-judgemental, almost academic approach. The anecdotes scattered throughout the book provide creative, inspiring examples of how to juggle things based on your own values and career ambitions.

Having grown up without an example of a working mom, this book pro...more
Lisa
This book is a healthy reminder that being a working mom can be a very good decision for you, your kids and your relationship with your husband. The book talks about how rewarding it is for working couples to share the duties of raising children, and making money. But you have to share the duties equally, thus the title of the book. The book can be repetitive. It's full of information from government studies, etc which drive home the same point, don't give up on your career, and hang in there! T...more
Jill Will Run
There are some good ideas in here about parents parenting equally, but it annoys me that it is written toward women and the reality that women need to take on even more to start pushing their spouses to take on more. Are there books written by men for men about how to get your spouse to contribute?

Also, it feels there is a lot of advice for women who may have bosses that don't understand being parents, which fortunately doesn't apply to me.
Amanda
Forget the debate about whether women can "have it all". Of course they can. As can their spouses. The trick is that while you can HAVE it all, you can't DO it all. Getting to 50/50 is about the art of recognizing yourself and your spouse as equal partners. Equal bread winners and equal parents. For many women this means fighting past cultural expectations both to stay in the workforce and to accept (really and truly) that their partners are not bumbling fools, but instead competent parents.

They...more
Terry
Pg 38: "When wives don't pay their way, men often pay a price" was my sticking point. I kept reading, all the while becoming more consumed by anger at the feminist position women authors.

It truly seemed like the main theme surrounding this book was that moms that stay home sit around doing nothing all day. I get that this type of book might be encouragement for career moms to stick the course and remain a two income household. But, for this stay home mom, it was excruciatingly alienating!

The ot...more
Carol
Okay so I have been reading/skimming this book since March but really it wasn't that dry or bad. What can I say? I don't really read a lot of nonfiction. I picked this book up because although I am not a working mom I plan on being one someday and I thought this might be helpful. Plus I really don't feel like my household is 50/50 now. Very scary were the statistics about two identical candidates for a job and one is perceived as less effective simply because it is know she has children. Overall...more
Stephanie
I really enjoyed this. Definitely helped with my mommy guilt about working and helped me to see new ways that maybe Kevin and I can split up duties better, including work schedules. Why is it the mom who always has to reduce her hours or rearrange her schedule? If you are looking for ways to revamp your home/work life or are thinking about going back to work, I highly recommend this. It doesn't give exact directions, but it can help get you thinking about different possibilities.
So I'm not expecting a child yet and this book is really written for women (and men) who already have a kid (or are very close to having one) and are thinking of compromising their career. I, on the other hand, have never considered compromising my career, but I am seriously worried about adding kids to my workload. So...this book isn't really geared to my situation, but it did make me think about a few things.
Stephanie
Liked it so much I bought my own copy and am re-reading it. It's a great perspective on working mothers and fathers and raising a family that made me feel a lot better about our choice to have me continue working.
Caitlin
An anthem of working motherhood. A little annoying and too idealistic at times. Maybe worth reading for the statistics in the introduction and one chapter on how to be a more successful partner with your spouse, but it probably would have been more effective as an article rather than a whole book. Way too many anecdotes.
Diane Dreher
Eye-opening study, filled with insights and strategies to help couples overcome reductive stereotypes to have BOTH fulfilling, productive work and healthy family lives. Women and men need not settle for Either/or. With clear communication and partnership, we can have full, meaningful lives. This book shows how.
Alina
I suppose the "Mom and Dads" part of the title should have clued me in that this was going to be ALL about kids, but I foolishly read it hoping it would just be about how to manage a house, a garden, a social life, and a relationship when both members of the household are so busy. No dice.
Eric Bell
�This book takes an interesting perspective on dual-income families in the United States. They talk about sharing the burdens of life and careers so that ultimately, family life, work, and enjoyment are all balanced in a healthy manner.
Brian
Wishful thinking on my part?

Still, I enjoyed this as an alternative to the culturally predominant, guilt-driven account of what parenthood requires.
Marisa
Read a couple chapters but then was tired of reading information type books so returned it to the library and started reading "the help"
Allison
Lots of research, anecdotes and suggestions... I really liked this book, and thought it was a great manifesto for working mamas.
Melva
Just skimming through this book so far. Seems kinda, uh, old fashioned. I'll reserve final judgment until I've read some more.
Karin
A must read for all of my heterosexual women friends.
Lisa
Bookclub book for this month.
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Kelsey Jones
Kelsey Jones is currently reading it
Apr 09, 2014
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Hopeycee
Hopeycee marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Linh Truong
Linh Truong marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Marian
Marian marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Getting to 50/50: How Working Parents Can Have It All by Sharing It All Getting to 50/50: How Working Parents Can Have It All