Start by marking “Getting to 50/50: How Working Couples Can Have It All by Sharing It All” as Want to Read:
Getting to 50/50: How Working Couples Can Have It All by Sharing It All

Getting to 50/50: How Working Couples Can Have It All by Sharing It All

Sharon Meers and Joanna Strober are professionals, wives, and mothers with five young children between them. They understand the challenges and rewards of two-career households. They also know that families thrive not in spite of working mothers but because of them. You can have a great career, a great marriage, and be a great mother. The key is tapping into your best reso ...more
Published February 24th 2009 by Bantam (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Getting to 50/50, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting to 50/50

Pamela
Jan 22, 2012 Pamela rated it really liked it
A must read for any woman who wants to do it all. Short answer: it's not possible, so ask your husband to be a part of your choices. Practical, funny, and sensitive, this book is an essential tool-kit for working couples who plan to have kids someday. Many chapters are more specific to women's issues, but it's important for men and women to understand the complex choices working mothers face. I also liked this book because it helped move me away from my perfectionist tendencies.
LAWonder10
Nov 23, 2013 LAWonder10 rated it liked it
Getting to 50'50 is written for working parents, trying to juggle home and family. It's primary objective is to aid parents in a working an acceptable solution to the problems that evolve when both parents try to build their careers without neglecting their children in any way.
The book is divided in to three parts. Part one entails the virtues of having both parents working. Part two centers on getting rid of "myths" about both parents working. Part three suggests ways to make the 50/50 theory w
Jac
Jun 10, 2012 Jac rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jac by: A coworker
Must read for all women who are or ever plan to be in a relationship and/or have children. This book explores all the reasons why women leave the workplace after having children (or even before having children), and tackles each one with a non-judgemental, almost academic approach. The anecdotes scattered throughout the book provide creative, inspiring examples of how to juggle things based on your own values and career ambitions.

Having grown up without an example of a working mom, this book pro
Terry
Jul 13, 2012 Terry rated it did not like it
Pg 38: "When wives don't pay their way, men often pay a price" was my sticking point. I kept reading, all the while becoming more consumed by anger at the feminist position women authors.

It truly seemed like the main theme surrounding this book was that moms that stay home sit around doing nothing all day. I get that this type of book might be encouragement for career moms to stick the course and remain a two income household. But, for this stay home mom, it was excruciatingly alienating!

The ot
Shira
Oct 01, 2015 Shira rated it did not like it
If this book had been marketed as an advice book for women on how to get ahead in a male dominated career, I would have given it 4 stars. As a book for new and potential parents, 1 star is generous. I am a "working" parent with a spouse who is just as involved in our child's life as I am. I am also a child of a "working" mother and father who was just as involved in my life as my mom was. I am writing this as proof that I believe and have experience with the concept of 50/50 parenting.
The autho
Jill Will Run
Feb 08, 2014 Jill Will Run rated it liked it
There are some good ideas in here about parents parenting equally, but it annoys me that it is written toward women and the reality that women need to take on even more to start pushing their spouses to take on more. Are there books written by men for men about how to get your spouse to contribute?

Also, it feels there is a lot of advice for women who may have bosses that don't understand being parents, which fortunately doesn't apply to me.
Sacramento Public Library
In 2011, Time Magazine pointed out that men and women worked the same amount of hours and therefore men and women should be happy with the study results….or not, since women did twice as much unpaid work as men. Let’s be honest and admit if one person’s work earns them money and a 401K, whereas the other person earns a burning sensation in her chest that is either a) love or, more than likely b) a minor heart attack upon realizing she has no retirement savings, we have a problem. That problem ha ...more
Kelly  Schuknecht
Apr 18, 2015 Kelly Schuknecht rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
As a working mother, I feel like I am supposed to LOVE this book. I did like it, and I enjoyed reading some of the statistics and encouragement for working women, but I'll be honest that I found it a bit dull.

The title of the book is "Getting to 50/50" and on the cover it states "How working couples can have it all by sharing it all and why it's great for your marriage, your career, your kids and you." There are three parts to the book:

Part 1 -- The Good News About Work: Why Two Careers Are Bett
Lisa
Jul 31, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
This book is a healthy reminder that being a working mom can be a very good decision for you, your kids and your relationship with your husband. The book talks about how rewarding it is for working couples to share the duties of raising children, and making money. But you have to share the duties equally, thus the title of the book. The book can be repetitive. It's full of information from government studies, etc which drive home the same point, don't give up on your career, and hang in there! T ...more
Z
May 25, 2014 Z rated it really liked it
Filled with encouragement and practical advice, what I liked most about this book is the absence of blame,the way it encourages women to speak up for themselves and negotiate with their spouse and boss, rather than complaining, criticizing or seething in silence, and the way it enumerates the benefits for men of having a working spouse..
Melissa
Nov 27, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
My husband and I had so many great conversations based on my reading of this book. It was eye-opening and very inspiring to me. I liked the mix of research interspersed with anecdotal evidence from real life couples experiencing the challenges of balancing work and family.
Amanda
Jun 08, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
Forget the debate about whether women can "have it all". Of course they can. As can their spouses. The trick is that while you can HAVE it all, you can't DO it all. Getting to 50/50 is about the art of recognizing yourself and your spouse as equal partners. Equal bread winners and equal parents. For many women this means fighting past cultural expectations both to stay in the workforce and to accept (really and truly) that their partners are not bumbling fools, but instead competent parents.

They
Liz De Coster
Jun 14, 2015 Liz De Coster rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Very much geared towards professional families, and I think most of the suggestions given by the authors have been distilled in more recent books.
Carol
Jun 22, 2009 Carol rated it liked it
Okay so I have been reading/skimming this book since March but really it wasn't that dry or bad. What can I say? I don't really read a lot of nonfiction. I picked this book up because although I am not a working mom I plan on being one someday and I thought this might be helpful. Plus I really don't feel like my household is 50/50 now. Very scary were the statistics about two identical candidates for a job and one is perceived as less effective simply because it is know she has children. Overall ...more
Green Bike
Aug 22, 2014 Green Bike rated it really liked it
I should own this. A few years old but, really great to read during pregnancy.
Stephanie
Feb 04, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. Definitely helped with my mommy guilt about working and helped me to see new ways that maybe Kevin and I can split up duties better, including work schedules. Why is it the mom who always has to reduce her hours or rearrange her schedule? If you are looking for ways to revamp your home/work life or are thinking about going back to work, I highly recommend this. It doesn't give exact directions, but it can help get you thinking about different possibilities.
Kristen McBee
Sep 15, 2016 Kristen McBee rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting, 2016-prose
It took me a while to read this book. It was repetitive and even boring at times. I didn't learn much new information, but they did sell me on two working parents. There a few good tips and tricks for making things work, so it wasn't a waste, but they could have been boiled down to a magazine article.
Darcy
Mar 28, 2015 Darcy rated it it was ok
Didn't feel too relevant to me (the few good tidbits made it into Lean In so that was the impactful thing for me)- the premise of this book and/or its target audience just didn't overlap with me.
Feb 27, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
So I'm not expecting a child yet and this book is really written for women (and men) who already have a kid (or are very close to having one) and are thinking of compromising their career. I, on the other hand, have never considered compromising my career, but I am seriously worried about adding kids to my workload. So...this book isn't really geared to my situation, but it did make me think about a few things.
Stephanie
Mar 18, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Liked it so much I bought my own copy and am re-reading it. It's a great perspective on working mothers and fathers and raising a family that made me feel a lot better about our choice to have me continue working.
Caitlin
Feb 09, 2010 Caitlin rated it liked it
An anthem of working motherhood. A little annoying and too idealistic at times. Maybe worth reading for the statistics in the introduction and one chapter on how to be a more successful partner with your spouse, but it probably would have been more effective as an article rather than a whole book. Way too many anecdotes.
Diane Dreher
Feb 16, 2010 Diane Dreher rated it really liked it
Eye-opening study, filled with insights and strategies to help couples overcome reductive stereotypes to have BOTH fulfilling, productive work and healthy family lives. Women and men need not settle for Either/or. With clear communication and partnership, we can have full, meaningful lives. This book shows how.
Alina
Jul 16, 2010 Alina rated it it was ok
I suppose the "Mom and Dads" part of the title should have clued me in that this was going to be ALL about kids, but I foolishly read it hoping it would just be about how to manage a house, a garden, a social life, and a relationship when both members of the household are so busy. No dice.
Eric Bell
Jan 13, 2013 Eric Bell rated it really liked it
This book takes an interesting perspective on dual-income families in the United States. They talk about sharing the burdens of life and careers so that ultimately, family life, work, and enjoyment are all balanced in a healthy manner. ...more
Crystal Lewis
Mar 09, 2015 Crystal Lewis rated it really liked it
No one can really do it all, so marry a partner in life, because together you CAN do it all. Great things to consider, good advice and stories. Highly recommend!
Heidi
Jun 11, 2014 Heidi rated it it was ok
Didn't feel like there was much new here. Also felt it made a lot of assumptions about partnerships. Could really only get myself to skim to the end.
Brian
Aug 09, 2012 Brian rated it liked it
Wishful thinking on my part?

Still, I enjoyed this as an alternative to the culturally predominant, guilt-driven account of what parenthood requires.
Marisa
Aug 11, 2010 Marisa rated it it was ok
Read a couple chapters but then was tired of reading information type books so returned it to the library and started reading "the help"
Allison
Nov 15, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
Lots of research, anecdotes and suggestions... I really liked this book, and thought it was a great manifesto for working mamas.
Melva
Apr 17, 2009 Melva rated it it was ok
Just skimming through this book so far. Seems kinda, uh, old fashioned. I'll reserve final judgment until I've read some more.
  • The Unfinished Revolution: How a New Generation Is Reshaping Family, Work, and Gender in America
  • How to Rock Your Baby: And Other Timeless Tips for Modern Moms
  • Conscious Business: How to Build Value Through Values
  • Mindful Motherhood: Practical Tools for Staying Sane During Pregnancy and Your Child's First Year
  • The Accidental Library Manager
  • The Squeaky Wheel: Complaining the Right Way to Get Results, Improve Your Relationships, and Enhance Self-Esteem
  • This Isn't What I Expected: Overcoming Postpartum Depression
  • We Love Each Other, But . . .: Simple Secrets to Strengthen Your Relationship and Make Love Last
  • Was That Really Me? How Everyday Stress Brings Out Our Hidden Personality
  • The Milk Memos: How Real Moms Learned to Mix Business with Babies-and How You Can, Too
  • Man Made Language
  • What They Don't Teach You in Library School
  • Becoming the Parent You Want To Be
  • Misconceptions: Truth, Lies, and the Unexpected on the Journey to Motherhood
  • Nice Girls Don't Get Rich: 75 Avoidable Mistakes Women Make with Money
  • The Nurture Assumption: Why Children Turn Out the Way They Do
  • Before Roe v. Wade: Voices that Shaped the Abortion Debate Before the Supreme Court's Ruling
  • The Balance Myth: Rethinking Work-Life Success