Start by marking “Queen City Jazz (Nanotech, #1)” as Want to Read:
Queen City Jazz (Nanotech, #1)

Queen City Jazz (Nanotech #1)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  390 ratings  ·  39 reviews
In Verity's world, nanotech plagues decimated the population after an initial renaissance of utopian nanotech cities. Growing up on an isolated farm, she finds her happy life changing course when Blaze, the only young man in the community and Verity's best friend, is shot. With Blaze's body wrapped in a nanotech cocoon, Verity sets off on a quest to the Enlivened City of C ...more
Published May 30th 2003 by Orb Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Queen City Jazz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen City Jazz

The Stand by Stephen KingThe Road by Cormac McCarthyThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsWorld War Z by Max Brooks1984 by George Orwell
Best Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
259th out of 722 books — 2,224 voters
Divergent by Veronica RothInsurgent by Veronica RothUglies by Scott WesterfeldThe Host by Stephenie MeyerDelirium by Lauren Oliver
Best Books About Nanotechnology
93rd out of 164 books — 701 voters

More lists with this book...

Lorelei
Apr 14, 2011 Lorelei rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
This was highly recommended as an important SF read so I think I persevered with it where I might otherwise have put it aside. It was an interesting and engaging read that started well, though in need of some tight editing. The Alice in Wonderland/coming of age theme is very strong and has some charm but is played out for far too long.

The jazz conceit is just irritating. I really don't see the point of the slavish binding of every aspect of the story to the Jazz metaphor. But then I don't see th
Jerico
This is one of the first good nano-novels in sf history. It was written before nanotech was even cool, back when Drexler was someone no one had heard of and Neal Stevenson was still working on Snow Crash (which is a great book, by the way). Its also strange, scary and occasionally incomprehensible- some of the stylistic choice are a little suspect (I don't share Ms. Goonan's jazz obsession) but the book is well written, compelling and fascinating.

Its a damn good first novel, too.
Alexa
Reading this is like assembling a rich, multi-layered jigsaw puzzle. Slowly the pieces emerge, and you think you might have a sense of the big picture, but nothing is really clear until the final piece falls into place. Delightful riffs on American literature and music along the way. She drew me in completely and kept me fascinated, although I can see how the extensive details on DNA and nanotechnology architecture might be too much for some. Hard science fiction with a true puzzle to solve whil ...more
Michèle
A young girl set on a travel towards the Cicinnati, a nano city, in order ot save her friend. The novel is maybe a hundred pages too long, but it offers an original and poetic version of a nanotech world.

Un nan passe... et vos pensées et souvenirs changent du tout au tout!

Une jeune fille élevée dans une communauté religieuse isolée découvre qu'elle porte en elle les germes pour guérir une "ville-fleur" car le concepteur a laissé des erreurs.

Un monde sans radio des cités nano. Dominé par des
Melissa
This book is simply beautiful. If you could combine The Great Gatsby with The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn then turn them into a sci-fi, post-apocalyptic story, I'm pretty sure this is what you would get.
Josh
Ambitious is concept, Queen City Jazz falls remarkably short in execution. Goonan has a great idea: a world where nanotech dominates everything and where people can be anyone they choose. It goes wrong, a savior enters the picture, and things are resolved without any real conflict. The conflict appears to be there, but we know Verity is different from the beginning and everything about her actions seem pre-ordained. She finds everything without trying, the solutions just pop into her head, and n ...more
Christine
It took me a long time to figure out what I thought about this book. Even after finishing it, I can't be quite sure what I just read. It was all very surreal and dreamlike, and main character Verity seemed more like a reporter than an actor. In the end, I'd say this book was about a world, and that the world was the only real character in it.

If you're really into weird and creative science fiction, this might be for you. I cannot fault the author's imagination, nor her descriptive ability. She
Jon Swanson
I'm kind of conflicted about this book. Queen City Jazz has some incredible, beautiful ideas, and many incredibly crafted scenes. At times though the narrative is fragmented and esoteric, seeming to trickle and meander through the story and advancing only by accident.

Technology in Jazz is well handled. The world is post-apocalyptic, a quasar has shut down traditional means of communication and nano tech plagues have run amok, killing off most of the population and ending normal civilization. Enl
Angela
Queen City Jazz was actually a re-read for me--because I recently picked up a copy of her sequel to this, Mississippi Blues, and I wanted to refresh my memory about the events in the first one before I started working my way through the rest of the series.

My original impression of this book still stands: a damn fine novel, and I am still very impressed with Ms. Goonan's way with a word. The bit of this book that always resonated as a free-floating phrase in my head, "as if the very air was imbue
heidi
Every once in a while, I read artful books, because it's good for me to think about what I do and don't like in stories. This one had many things I liked, like a relatively clear plot and a relatable main character. Verity is, through all her adventures, a person I would like to know. Her life as we come to know her is quiet and peaceful and pretty. Her journey from that to a ruined beautiful city is logical but scary. Her internal journey is even scarier, as she has her mind invaded by other im ...more
John Nicholas
One of my favorite post-cyberpunk near future sci fi books. Set in a future where civilization has collapsed after nano and bio technology gets out of control and is filled with original and amazing ideas. The story does kind of get out of control in some places but finds its way back and the overall is experience is worth it.
CJ
Well written story, decent science fiction, but the end left me a little disappointed. Not a bad read, though.
dani
It's not that I didn't like this book, but there was just too much "off topic". The thing I love about reading is the world building and this book just didn't have enough of the how of the world and way too much of odd character vignettes that really could have been left out of the book. The characters' motivations never made much sense just to the lack of information and backstory that should have been there to fill in the gaps. I do plan on continuing the series to see if there is an improveme ...more
Cicely
Ah, my favorite! Delicious science-fiction you can immerse yourself in, with no need to come up for air.
Sarah Breidenbach
Lost interest and didn't even finish reading.
Nicky
Verity is safe from the nanotech plagues that has swept North America. She's a little bit different but she and her friend Blaze live with the Shakers, an unenlivened life, and don't change. Until that is plaguers come too close and Blaze gets shot. Then Verity knows that she has to go to the Flower City, Cinncinnati, to save him. She doesn't know that she was destined to go there all along, and must dance her way to change, to owning the city, to making a new future for all the people there. Ca ...more
Tad604
Having lived in Cincinnati and been a fan of any cyberpunk nanotech and post apocalyptic stories for more than 20 years I'm not sure how I missed this book for the last 20 years. The fact it has young female as the hero and the story is forward thinking enough, it feels like it could have been written in the last few years and fits in with the current crop of YA books being made into movies. Would definitely be more of an original story than most the stuff coming out today.
J.
Amazing concepts, but somewhat poorly executed. And I know how odd that sounds, considering the awards and praise from big names this novel has gotten, but I didn't find the prose layered and complex. I found it unclear. I found Verity to be inconsistent in her reactions, and I also felt that Sphere was two-dimensional. I liked the hive concept, and the deep thinking about information, and the ways information is metaphorized. I just think it could have come in a cleaner package.
Mills College Library
Fiction G6593 2003
Dianne O'Connell
I am new to the science fiction genre and chose this book because I met and liked the author at a recent literary seminar. Published in 1994, I believe the book launched her writing career.

Regardless of whether or not I was always able to follow the plot line, I thoroughly enjoyed her descriptive powers, her literary and musical allusions, and her forays into theology. Great fun. And I eventually caught up with the plot, as well.
Katie M.
Despite the plethora of good reviews on the cover, I didn't like this book very much. The author builds a rich, highly original vision of the future. However, I found the main character annoying and the plot too often either dull or hard to follow. It has moments of brilliance, but overall I just kept wishing I could be done and moving on to a better book.
Ruby
Our society has been destroyed by a nanotech plague and a young girl being raised by a Shaker settlement that rejects technology has powers that might be able to save civilization. She doesn't know what's happened to the outside world, but she is eventually forced to leave the settlement. Her journey is strange and fascinating.
Drianne
Not bad, although the exposition took until the end of the book and was painfully slow. I read it because: 1) I like the Shakers, 2) I lived in Cincinnati for a couple of years, and 3) the heroine's name is Verity (which name I adore). I didn't like it enough to want to read the sequel.
Nicholas Whyte
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1342934.html[return][return]some nice descriptive passages, but I never quite grasped what was going on - setting too peculiar and characters not interesting enough to be worth following.
Cindy
This one got off to a good start - I was ready to learn about this new world transformed and decimated by nanotech, but once Verity made it to the city, she just kept meandering around and it never got as interesting again.
Cindywho
Peggy
couldn't quite follow the timeline. it was a travel trade with a gruff old guy with a bushy grey mustache. he got "eat pray love". as i only liked 1/3rd of *that* book - i'd say it was about an even trade.
Victoria (vikz writes)
I promise I will post a fuller review when I have finishes the series. But, for now I will say that this was a brilliant read. - if you can get your hands on a copy, read it.
LadyCroft86
Couldn't finish this one. I got bored with the story and just lost interest. It started out well but got too long winded in the middle.
Jacqueline
An entertaining and interesting book; I love the combination of science and poetic thought. Right up my alley.
  • The Bohr Maker
  • Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1)
  • Virtual Girl
  • Trouble and Her Friends
  • The Sky Road (The Fall Revolution, #4)
  • After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall
  • In the Drift
  • Terminal Café
  • Snowfall: Book One of the Snowfall Trilogy
  • Glimmering
  • Archangel Protocol (LINK Angel, #1)
  • Child of the River
  • Ribofunk
  • Nekropolis
  • Beyond Armageddon
  • Vanishing Point
  • Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman
  • The Best of C. L. Moore
In War Times Crescent City Rhapsody (Nanotech, #3) Mississippi Blues (Nanotech, #2) Light Music (Nanotech, #4) The Bones of Time