Start by marking “Deadly Secrets” as Want to Read:
Deadly Secrets

Deadly Secrets

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  174 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The true story of the murder of Susan Fassett, a woman entangled in a passionate web of dominance, lesbian sex, betrayal, and one man's depraved plan for murder - all in the peaceful town of Pleasant Valley.
Published February 1st 2009 by Pinnacle (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Secrets

Lynda Kelly
Mar 02, 2013 Lynda Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
This was more of a pleasure to read of this author's books than previous ones as it didn't hop about as much backwards and forwards in time each chapter as much and nor did it have as many mistakes so I'm guessing had a different editor ?
It was about a woman leaving choir practice one night in Pleasant Valley, ironically, who's gunned down. She had a LOT of secrets she kept from people (very successfully, I must say, cos' it seems nobody had a bad word to say about her even when all was revealed
Deborah
Mar 05, 2016 Deborah rated it liked it
Love the author and the story was engaging. At times I wanted to understand the killers motivation a little more clearly. How does someone get a person who has no criminal record to kill for them? Would have liked some more input from the author, who is very knowledgeable on the subject to give his ideas.
Rebecca
Mar 23, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent true crime contribution from Phelps

I had never heard of this crime and from the get go it was a mesmerising, well written account. The people were memorable and we've probably all known a few like these. Gladly recommended.
Heather
Jan 26, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Loved this book!! I think I liked it a little extra because it happened around where I live.
Sae-chan
Jun 20, 2015 Sae-chan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I still couldn't understand what drew these women to this guy in the first place, and what chained them to him for life.
Christine
Feb 23, 2010 Christine rated it liked it
I rated this book 3 stars because the story was interesting, but I'd rate it 2 stars for the writing.

This crime happened in a town where I lived, so it was fun reading about the local places that I know, however it's quite apparent the writer doesn't live here, nor did he do enough research on the area. He wrote about the towns from a visitor's eye and didn't quite get it right. I was annoyed by that, considering the book is "true crime" and not "based on actual events."
Lindsay
Jul 04, 2012 Lindsay rated it liked it
This is one of those stories where I was disgusted by most of the main players, even the woman who was shot at the beginning. I have little tolerance for infidelity, and her relationship with Fred was totally her choice. I feel bad for her family, though.
Janet Richards
Aug 21, 2013 Janet Richards rated it liked it
sad story. never really figured out why the mom got mixed up with her killer. not really what I wanted to read, dad commentary on the state of some human lives.

excuse the short entry and no caps, entered on phone in hospital with Jason
Walt  Smead
Aug 13, 2014 Walt Smead rated it it was amazing
Very well written

Very well written

walter smead

walter smeadwal

very compassionate and human read
I was able to put myself in the location of the story

Sandy from Alaska Colón
Oct 18, 2013 Sandy from Alaska Colón rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sandy from Alaska by: My mom
The story was well written. I didn't care for the first few chapters, but as soon as I understood who the chapters were I became interested in the book. This is a sad story.
Floy Dean
Sep 01, 2012 Floy Dean rated it really liked it
This is a true crime story. So frightening that people like that exist and maybe living next door to you. If you like true crime, this is a good read.
Amy
Dec 03, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, non-fiction
read more like a "based on the true crime story" book, rather than a "true crime" book. not sure how i felt about the writing.
Paula
Nov 23, 2012 Paula rated it liked it

I enjoyed the book, but I didn't feel that it was up to the office usual standard.
Tricia
Aug 05, 2011 Tricia rated it it was amazing
Great read! what a tangled web of deceit, lies and heatbreaking senseless murder...
Suzie Flohr
Apr 11, 2014 Suzie Flohr rated it liked it
I wanted to give this 3.5 stars
Tkevinr
Tkevinr is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2016
Courtney Ginder
Courtney Ginder marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Donna Campbell
Donna Campbell rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Connie Sapp
Connie Sapp rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Susan Skinner
Susan Skinner marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Megan Perretta
Megan Perretta marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Litsa
Litsa marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Janet Harris
Janet Harris rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Mary Marshall
Mary Marshall marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Rebecca Troyer
Rebecca Troyer is currently reading it
Mar 11, 2016
  • No, Daddy, Don't!: A Father's Murderous Act of Revenge
  • Blood in the Snow: The True Story of a Stay-at-Home Dad, his High-Powered Wife, and the Jealousy that Drove him to Murder
  • A Love To Die For
  • The Last Testament of Lucky Luciano
  • Hush Little Babies: the true story of a mother who murdered her own children
  • Careless Whispers
  • Such Good Boys: The True Story of a Mother, Two Sons and a Horrifying Murder
  • Worth More Dead and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #10)
  • PREDATOR
  • This Family of Mine: What It Was Like Growing Up Gotti
  • By Their Father's Hand: The True Story of the Wesson Family Massacre
  • The BTK Murders: Inside the "Bind Torture Kill" Case that Terrified America's Heartland
Crime, murder and serial killer expert, creator/producer/writer and former host of the Investigation Discovery series DARK MINDS, acclaimed, award-winning investigative journalist M. William Phelps is the New York Times best-selling author of 30 books and winner of the 2013 Excellence in (Investigative) Journalism Award and the 2008 New England Book Festival Award. A highly sought-after pundit, Ph ...more
More about M. William Phelps...