Start by marking “The Sound and The Fury / As I Lay Dying” as Want to Read:
The Sound and The Fury / As I Lay Dying

The Sound and The Fury / As I Lay Dying

Published 1946 by Random House/Modern Library

To ask other readers questions about The Sound and The Fury / As I Lay Dying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sound and The Fury / As I Lay Dying

CarolineFromConcord
May 09, 2015 CarolineFromConcord rated it really liked it
All these years I've been kidding myself that I had actually read the whole book. I think I read only Benjy's section and maybe the Appendix, which comes at the opening. Even now, I know I didn't absorb it all. I am impressed but feeling like a slow learner. Perhaps one needs to read it three times in a row.

The story is about the crumbling of a Southern family and is told from different points of view in each section: an outside voice in the intro (Appendix) and the last section, Benjy (the ment
Alexandru
Apr 29, 2015 Alexandru rated it it was amazing
Propunându-și, parcă, să dărâme orice convenție literară, într-o epocă a inovațiilor pe toate planurile culturale, Faulkner descrie câteva zile din viața a trei frați pe fundalul decăderii și decadenței întregii lor familii. Împărțită în patru părți, primele trei redate prin prisma câte unuia dintre frați (interesant este aici faptul că sora lor Candance/Caddy este lăsată de-o parte, deși tot romanul se rotește în jurul ei) și doar ultima din punctul de vedere al unui narator omniscient, cartea ...more
Caron
Sep 30, 2010 Caron rated it it was amazing
"As I Lay Dying" is the Faulkner story that has stuck with me the most over the years, though "The Sound and The Fury" was the first Faulkner I ever read, -it inspired me to read more of his work, and of course, it's a classic! 5 thumbs up!
Robin Sencenbach Ferguson
Jun 21, 2013 Robin Sencenbach Ferguson rated it really liked it
Probably one of the most exhaustingly relentless books I've ever read. (I only read "The Sound the Fury," there were no editions available on Goodreads for the first book alone). Faulkner's novel demonstrates the fall and then plummet of the children of an aristocratic Southern family in the early 20th century--the painfully depressed oldest son Quentin, the doomed beauty Caddy, the embittered, distrustful Jason, and Benjy, the youngest, who is mentally disabled yet the only person who finds any ...more
Jonathan
Apr 24, 2010 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
First read this in 97'. Shortly thereafter my prose went a little "modern." Highly influential (still like Light in August better.) This book is worth listening to (yes an audiobook.) The stream of consciousness is meant to be heard.
Gwen
Dec 04, 2008 Gwen marked it as to-read
Recommended to Gwen by: Thomas Fox
Never finished As I Lay Dying, but S & F was quite genius.
So I'm switching AILD to the to-read list upon enthusiastic encouragement from Jackie. (but when but when?)
Kat
It has been so long since I have read these, and I read them for college courses at UWL I believe. I don't even remember if I liked or did not like them.
Shaherzad ahmadi
May 27, 2013 Shaherzad ahmadi rated it it was amazing
I only read The Sound and The Fury but I couldn't find The Sound and The Fury individually. Great book, I read it a bit late though.
Amos
May 29, 2010 Amos marked it as quit
Made my head hurt after one page... Not my bag...
Tomo
Nov 10, 2013 Tomo rated it it was amazing
Low atmosphere.
Dark but deep.
Janet
May 27, 2013 Janet rated it liked it
As I Lay Dying
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Sanja
Sanja marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Robin Hartzell
Robin Hartzell rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Isil
Isil marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Si
Si marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Alejandro Sanchez Guinea
Alejandro Sanchez Guinea marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Grace Papathimiu
Grace Papathimiu marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Chandra
Chandra marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2016
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Ethyle
Ethyle marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Sana
Sana is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2016
Dhutch
Dhutch marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Tia Lula
Tia Lula marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Anna L Jamieson
Anna L Jamieson rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Caitlin Gillmett
Caitlin Gillmett rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
  • The Epistles to the Colossians, to Philemon, and to the Ephesians (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • Baldwin: Early Novels and Stories
  • Feasting the Heart: Fifty-Two Commentaries for the Air
  • The Medici Giraffe and Other Tales of Exotic Animals and Power
  • শেষ প্রশ্ন
  • Hudson River Bracketed
  • Catch 22 by Joseph Heller (Teacher Guide)
  • Both
  • Sugar Among the Freaks
  • Number One Bestseller
  • Dubliners/A Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man/Chamber Music
  • Plain Pleasures
  • Anatomy Courses
  • Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 1: Hope
  • The Last Plantagenets (The Plantagenets, #4)
  • Return to Mars (Barsoom, #4-6)
  • Die Kunst, kein Egoist zu sein
  • The Devil's Day (After Such Knowledge, #2-3)
William Cuthbert Faulkner was a Nobel Prize-winning American novelist and short story writer. One of the most influential writers of the twentieth century, his reputation is based mostly on his novels, novellas, and short stories. He was also a published poet and an occasional screenwriter.

The majority of his works are based in his native state of Mississippi. Though his work was published as earl
More about William Faulkner...