The Ivanhoe Gambit (Time Wars, #1)

The Ivanhoe Gambit (TimeWars #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  319 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In the 27th Century, international disputes are resolved through time travel, "clocking" soldiers from the future into conflicts of the past. It seemed like an elegant idea: wartime industries drove the economy without actually putting nations through the physical ravages of war. And since the past already happened, history could not be changed. So went the theory. What co...more
Paperback, Trade Paperback, new reissue, 209 pages
Published May 9th 2013 by Createspace (Amazon) (first published January 1984)

Andrew
All i can say is that its amazing how much you can read while you wait for your computer to reload software after a disastrous update. Anyway I dug out these books really to complete the series and to pass the time. I remember being given the first book in a new science fiction series (yes you guessed the aforementioned Ivanhoe Gambit) and thinking hmm why not. Well I enjoyed it then and I enjoyed it now. One of the reasons why I remember the series was that I was reading it as it was being publ...more
Tim
I really enjoyed this time travel series back in the '80s. They were sharp, twisty fun. My only "problem" was that in having time traveling dudes revisiting classic adventure novels as if they were real — "The Scarlet Pimpernel," "Prisoner of Zenda," "Three Musketeers" and, here, "Ivanhoe" — there's a certain amount of "plot stealing." The Time Wars heroes are often disrupting what happens in these stories — so in a way they the books are stealing plots! This didn't bother me until about the fou...more
Dawn (& Ron)
Both my husband and I read enjoyed the unique, genre bending premise of this so much. It is one of those rare books that everyone we have passed it on to has also enjoyed it. I think it is because it is so hard to pigeonhole, it crosses so many genres, historical, fantasy, literary classics, military and so on. It is so hard to describe clearly. For book one you take characters from Ivanhoe, with that dash of Robin Hood, mix in military time travelers who must temporarily take the place of some...more
Lianne Burwell
I read the Time Wars books back when they first came out, back in the eighties (my teenaged years), and I recently decided to try them out again to see if they hold up to my fond memories.

The first book does hold up pretty well. The concept is that in the future, technology for time travel has been developed. To fight the wars of that time, they send military people through time to fight in the wars of the past, with 'referees' watching over to decide who 'won'.

But a referee has gone rogue and w...more
Morgan Eckstein
Mar 30, 2013 Morgan Eckstein rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: time travel fans
Shelves: science-fiction
There are some books that I periodically re-read, and this book is one of them. It also happens to one of the first books that I brought on my own after leaving home (back in the stone age before ereaders and the internet in every home).

The Ivanhoe Gambit is the first book in the Time Wars series. Set in an universe where time travel has been discovered, Hawke uses famous stories of fiction (such as Ivanhoe and Robin Hood) as historical events. In the case of this book, I have never read the or...more
Luke
Jun 05, 2007 Luke rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans and History buffs
Shelves: sci-fi
The Ivanhoe gambit is the first in a series of 'time wars' books. The premise is that wars in the future are outlawed and now nations just send a small troop of soldiers back in time. Each nation with a dispute enlists their soldiers, secretly of course, into the ranks of opposing historical armies. Whichever nation has the most soldiers left alive wins. These aren't spoilers as the book is really about the squad of clean up men and women that repair the timelines when a future soldier screws up...more
Peter Meredith
Looking to change gears and dip into something fun.

I think that if I were younger (Ok I admit it, I color my hair) I would have liked this book more. It was fun and had many interesting possibilities, however it is very undeveloped. I don't blame the author (how do you expound on big ideas as well as grow characters in 75K words? Darn those formulas) Having read some of his other works I would bet the author would have preferred to triple the word count. So here are my recommendations, if you ar...more
Lauren
So this would be my first "official" time travel book and I really liked it. I think Hawke did a great job explaining all the split timestreams and such and so forth without detracting from the story. I really enjoyed the plot--it moved quickly. It was really cool. I am looking forward to finishing the second book (started today) and continuing with the whole series.
Recommended to fans of sci-fi, time travel, and probably teens and up. The soldiers aren't exactly the cleanest of tongues. But, it...more
Jason
Long time since I last read this. It is still a good fun read.
Go
Time travel is usually over my head and fries my brain but this was a fun read. It's clever how the army sends its soldiers to wars of different eras to make "adjustments" to restore history. This time it was medieval. Who doesn't like knights jousting? I would've preferred to read more Maid Marion scenes. I love the twist of the legend that is Robin Hood.
Deborah Ideiosepius
I just finished re-reading this one, and it is still one of the great martial sci-fi. It has not dated and is as good as when I first read it about twenty years ago. But wait! what do you mean #1 of the time wars?
you mean there are more of them?
what would we do without the internet? now I have to track the others down.
Deb
I remember the first time I tried reading this, I stopped at the fourth chapter. Funny thing was, when I had a second go, things improved markedly after the fourth chapter ... it's been a while since I read it, but I remember it being a fun read. Should find/read it again some day.
Jim Razinha
I'm bumping my rating from 4 up to 5-stars because this kicked off a series I have enjoyed several times. I keep coming back to it, it's fun, engaging, tossing literature and history into an alternative/science fiction frame,...

...and I keep coming back to it.
Meredith Armstrong
First in a series of twelve books that grasp time travel theory better than any incarnation of Star Trek ever has. I've read all twelve and while some are, of course, better than others, they were all well worth reading.
Karen Crouch
I read this book and the whole series 20 years or so ago and remember then fondly. Just wish I knew which box they were in so I could re-read and maybe pass onto my sons who I think would enjoy the mix of history and sci-fi.
Charles
One of the better War across time books. There is a series and I have the others but haven't read them. I don't know why since I liked this one quite a bit.
Gerry Felipe
A wonderful way to learn history in the context of Time Travel & Science Fiction. This book hooked me on the whole TimeWars series.
Pat
Series. Pure fun.
Bryan457
Time travel book where they go back in time and mess up the story of Ivanhoe and Robin Hood.
Sean Randall
Surprisingly comprehensive views on time travel and an interesting plot as well.
Tim Coleman
Tim Coleman marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Zapherot
Zapherot marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Tiomthy Davis
Tiomthy Davis marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Lynn
Lynn is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
Stefan Zoepfgen
Stefan Zoepfgen marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
  • The Proteus Operation
  • Time Patrolman
  • The Cross-Time Engineer (Conrad Stargard, #1)
  • The Crossroads of Time
  • Wagers of Sin (Time Scout, #2)
  • A Rebel in Time
  • The Man Who Never Missed (Matador, #1)
  • About Time: 12 Short Stories
  • The Regiment (The Regiment, #1)
  • Time Storm
  • High Justice
  • The I Inside
  • Paratime
  • Millennium
  • Up the Line
  • Kaleidoscope Century (Century Next Door, #2)
  • Race Against Time
  • Helm
aka J.D. Masters, Nicholas V. Yermakov

He was born Nicholas Valentin Yermakov, but began writing as Simon Hawke in 1984 and later changed his legal name to Hawke. He has also written near future adventure novels under the penname "J. D. Masters" and a series of humorous mystery novels.
More about Simon Hawke...
The Romulan Prize (Star Trek: The Next Generation #26) The Outcast (Dark Sun: Tribe of One, #1) The Nomad (Dark Sun: Tribe of One, #3) The Seeker (Dark Sun: Tribe of One, #2) Blaze of Glory (Star Trek: The Next Generation #34)