Start by marking “A Cor da Magia (Discworld, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Cor da Magia (Discworld, #1)

A Cor da Magia (Discworld #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  158,819 ratings  ·  4,308 reviews
Neste universo o mundo é plano, repousa sobre as costas de quatro elefantes, que por sua vez se equilibram sobre o casco de uma gigantesca tartaruga.

E agora vamos acompanhar as aventuras de um mago picareta, um turista perigosamente ingênuo e alguns dragões que só existem se você acreditar neles.
Published 2001 by Conrad (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about A Cor da Magia, please sign up.

Hannah I've read it and I'm 13, so not a kids book. Can be read by kids, but I would agree. It's aimed at adults. However, I loved it, I think Terry…moreI've read it and I'm 13, so not a kids book. Can be read by kids, but I would agree. It's aimed at adults. However, I loved it, I think Terry Pratchett is fantastic. Then again, I like to read far more than average kids. (less)
Ekaterina Spitsyna I think you should look up recommended order to read the books, to know approximately where you are standing. (like this one: …moreI think you should look up recommended order to read the books, to know approximately where you are standing. (like this one: http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-o...)
And basically, you can read them in any order, as the author keeps reminding you of important, and not so important, details, and as the books are just brilliant enough by themselves.
Of course, it would be a bit harder to keep up with the timeline, and you won't be very surprised with the ending if you have already read the next book, but it won't ruin the impression or fun.(less)

Mark Lawrence
I haven't reviewed this because I read it so long ago that all I can remember is I loved it.

I'll take our very old and battered copy (bought in 1987) to the hospice this weekend when I go with Celyn and see if I can't refresh my memory.

RIP, Sir Terry.

'DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING,' said Death, 'JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.'

So - to the review!

I've just read this in slightly over 24 hours ... which is extraordinary for me. I normally take a month to read a book.

It is, to be
Brad
Before picking it up, I'd heard that The Colour of Magic was funny. Now that can mean just about anything because, let's face it, comedy is the most subjective of arts.

Funny is a deeply personal thing. The "funny peculiar" and the "funny ha-ha" might not be the same from person to person or even to the same person depending on their mood or their place in life. So knowing something is funny ahead of reading it really doesn't tell me much.

I'd read Terry Pratchett's & Neil Gaiman's Good Omen
David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party"
Reading The Color of Magic is akin to eating an entire bowl of ice cream just a little too fast...sure, it may cause your head to hurt at times, but the sweet rewards make it all worth it!

Filled with ambitious wizards and ruthless assassins, the city of Ankh-Morpork has survived many dangers in the past, but now it faces an even more destructive force...TOURISM!!! When a rich but bored outsider named Twoflower decides to explore the city in search for adventure, it soon becomes an adventure for
Jamie
I'm pretty sure people have told me about Pratchett and his Diskworld series before, usually working in the phrase "He's the Douglas Adams of fantasy" into the description. But the problem was that I always felt that I had had enough of Adams after the third Hithiker's Guide to the Galaxy book, and whenever I scanned Pratchett's section in the bookstore I was immediately put off by not knowing where to start reading among the approximately five hundred thousand Diskworld books. I'm glad I finall ...more
Keely
Tried to start him at the beginning, as many of my dear friends love him. However, this book showed no particular charm nor skill of construction. It is an early piece, so this unpractised work is to be expected. The jokes were more worthy of groans than guffaws, and I was left feeling rather let down, since he's been compared to the superlatively funny Douglas Adams.

After finding this one dull, a friend suggested I try one of his later books, so I started Moving Pictures, which was better craft
Amanda
Meh. It just didn't do it for me. Unfortunately, this book has been recommended to me so many times by well-meaning friends who know my love of absurd British humor that it couldn't possibly live up to the hype. It suffers from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy syndrome. For years, everyone I knew--friends, family, students, co-workers--would ask me if I had read Hitchhiker's and their mouths would drop when I admitted no, I hadn't . . . yet. Their response was always the same, "Oh, but you h ...more
TL

A charming and sometimes tedious novel, Rincewind grew on me quickly and I enjoyed watching him get into and out of scrapes along the way. Death's and Fate's frustration with him was hilarious. I kept imagining them as toddlers stomping their feet :-D.

Two Flower I was so so on... sometimes he charmed me and others... eh. His optimism seemed misplaced sometimes, but he had good intentions.

A nice start to the series, plenty of action and some humor :) The scenes with Krull and near the edge of the
Jon
Apr 26, 2013 Jon added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: SciFi and Fantasy Book Club August Book
Antonio

suspira....

Mientras mas alto pongo mis expectativas, mis caídas son peores, y al parecer con esta caeré, caeré y seguiré cayendo.

Amo la magia, los dragones, y reconozco la creatividad y humor de Pratchett; entonces ¿Qué paso? una lógica tan profunda como Alicia en el pais de las maravillas, unos saltos de trama que me desenfocaban, y el final....

(view spoiler)

ese final... pens
Becky
I dunno if this is going to be a proper 'review' (heh, as though any of the things that I write in this space are...), it'll likely just be a bunch of randomness and ranting. So, like my usual offerings.

I read Amanda's review (This'un.) and I'm all like "Yep." This is one of those books/series that people love and it makes me want to love it and then I set crazy goals for myself, like reading them... all... in a year... just maybe not this one... and then when the first one ends up NOT being the
Forrest
I read this book way back in high school, when I lived in England. Having forgotten everything except for the fact that there was a trunk that liked to eat people, I bought the book (again) to see how it stood up these many years later. As I've read I've received goodreads messages and been spoken to by several people who have warned me that Pratchett was just warming up with this one, that he hadn't reached his highest form yet. I still have to read more of his work (I'm planning on Mort and Gu ...more
Gary
This was a fun, quick read. I enjoyed it and plan to read my way through disc world. This somewhat cartoonish seeming universe is populated by colorful and unlikely characters. The author created an original and interesting mythology and multiverse.
Hidden within the tongue and cheek humor and somewhat silly action is an intelligence and insightful view of not just those make believe world, but ours as well. Many references are to actual occult concepts and the magic, while loose, humorous and e
Phrynne
I first read this book many years ago and I remember I fell in love with the Disc World as soon as I read the first few pages. I loved the idea of the turtle swimming through space and the elephants and the rim fall and the eighth colour in the spectrum called octarine. Twoflower and Rincewind were the first of many of Pratchett's characters I would meet who are so helpless and yet who blunder successfully through mishap after mishap. And as for the Luggage! That has to be one of the best invent ...more
Mangrii
Por fin me he puesto con el reto que tenía entre manos, comenzar desde el inicio la saga Mundodisco del fallecido Terry Pratchett; aunque ya había leído algún volumen suelto (porque en esta saga poco importa el orden en realidad), en esta ocasión quiero seguir el orden de publicación.
En este primer volumen nos narran a través de cuatro capítulos la historia de Dosflores, un singular turista de una lejano Imperio que desea conocer a los famosos héroes de Mundodisco, vivir emocionantes aventuras y
Alex Ristea
Zany, wild, preposterous, and oh so fun—I understand the Discworld hype and see why it's such a fan favourite.

But underneath all the light humour is clever trope subversion and a sense that Pratchett knows exactly what he's doing, more so than just a few laughs.

This first installment isn't an immediate favourite, but it's a promising start to a series I'm looking forward to reading. I know there are a ton of Discworld reading guides out there, but I'm a stickler for published order and I'm going
Petertpc
This was the perfect pick me up after the depressing, depressing, depressing downer if The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I laughed out loud reading this and that is not something I do very often. Rincewind is a new favorite character and Terry Pratchett is a new favorite author. I'm not sure I would have loved this as much I I hadn't been in the perfect mood for it. But, I was in the perfect mood and I did love it.
David
Nov 19, 2014 David rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Epicurus
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoy reading science fiction and fantasy, but my mother always says that she does not. She claims that in this sort of book, the author can allow the characters to do "anything", and there are no set rules for the natural world to obey. I generally disagree with her. Good science fiction and fantasy authors invent a world, and they invent the parameters of the possible, and stick within those limits.

However, in this book, I must say, anything goes. There are no limits to the magic; it is boun
Rob
Executive Summary: Started slow, but finished strong.

Full Review
I've been meaning to read Discworld for awhile. A good friend of mine loves the series and recommended it to me over 10 years ago, but I just never got around to it.

He suggested I might be better off starting with Guards! Guards! than this book. However between picking up the first few books on a sale, and my general need to read thing in publication order.

My understanding is that while all the books are set in Discworld, there ar
Mike (the Paladin)
Ahh, the story of Twoflower and the "failed" wizard Rincewind. Although calling Rincewind a "failed" wizard is possibly not really fair to him as he's only a "failed" wizard because having sneaked a look at a forbidden spell book one the 8 Great Spells has taken up the room in his brain that would be needed for other spells and he can't get it out, at least not without casting it, and since neither he nor the other wizards know what it will do...destroy the world, the universe, the multiverse... ...more
Tfitoby
A fun parody of the fantasy genre and some great world building

I've been listening to this one for the past two weeks, I found myself out of shape and in need of something that would hold my concentration whilst I taught my body to exercise again. Ordinarily I'm not a fan of audiobooks but it seemed like the perfect way and the perfect time to get started on the great Discworld re-read that I've had planned for the past two years. It worked.

It's been many, many years since I last read this book,
Belarius
Feb 06, 2008 Belarius rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Obsessive Completionists
Author Terry Pratchett may be the modern day Mark Twain, one of the most prolific satirical authors in genre fiction. The world he spins his elaborate metaphors is that of Discworld, a setting in which he has successfully parodied everything from opera to religion, from currency to war, from morris dancing to mall proliferation. But before Discworld was a template upon which all things modern could be parodied, it was simply a parody, and a mediocre one at best.

Pratchett's humor is similar in ma
Hanne
“Rincewind tried to force the memory out of his mind, but it was rather enjoying itself there, terrorizing the other occupants and kicking over the furniture.”
Hey, look at that! That’s what happens to my brain all the time!

Seriously though, if you like humorous fantasy there is no escaping Terry Pratchett, and the colour of magic is probably one of the staples in the genre. And for good reason! It's got word plays: the most memorable might be Twoflower working with inn-sewer-ants, although I
Stephen
4.5 stars. My favorite installment of the long running Discworld series (I have only read the first five so that may change). Original, well-written and very funny.
Roya
DNF at 37%

What Actually Went Through My Head While I Was Reading This

Stupid moron. I can't believe he lent me a book without thoroughly knowing my taste.

Way to ruin a book for someone.

Hey, this is actually pretty good!

I hate everything.

That's hilarious.

Time to think about all those scholarships you haven't filled out yet...

...So lazy.

Did I fall asleep?

I think I just stared at this page for half an hour.

This plot is really interesting, but I can't focus.

Focus already!

Time to think about all the g
Wastrel
I was expecting to barely get through this - I read it twenty years ago, started me on Discworld, but my opinion of it has gone downhill ever since. It's just a cheap parody, after all.

It turns out that, parody aside (which itself is an interesting aspect, as the thing parodied, Sword and Sorcery, is itself now dead and buried), this is a thrillingly creative book. The imagination, the wit, and the erudition of Pratchett shine forth on every page; indeed, there is far more of his chaotic genius
Steven Harbin
Although this is the first book in the Discworld series, it's actually the 2nd I've completed, The Wee Free Men being the first. I enjoyed this book, although having read a later book in the series showed me that Mr. Pratchett's writing has improved considerably over time. Still, this is a fun read for anyone who likes fantasy in general and humorous fantasy in particular. I came to really like inept magician Rincewind and his traveling companion Twoflower, first tourist in Discworld history (ap ...more
E.J.
I've never really been a fan of British comedy. I see the attraction to stuff like Monty Python, Faulty Towers, et al, but the humor's vastly different then what I enjoy. I think it's the propriety or formality that throws me off. People compare Terry Pratchett's work to Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide series and that seems pretty approriate. Both are outlandish and filled with silly inanity. That being said, it's not my cup of tea. There always seems to be those scenes where characters apolog ...more
Dirk Grobbelaar
I had a number of preconceived notions about the Discworld novels, which is probably why I took so long before I attempted one. Fortunately, my preconceptions were mostly innacurate. What I will say about Terry Pratchett's writing, and the humour in particular: it can be pretty random. There were times when I went "huh?", or, "erm?", or just sighed in perplexity. He is also not afraid of applying deus ex machina to his sequences climaxes.

That being said, these books are a blast to read, and the
seak
I've heard they get better after this one, but it was still a great read. I was cracking up left and right and the idea of the monster was just brilliant. Shoot, the idea of the tourist coming to a ridiculous fantasy land was brilliant along with the flat world riding elephants riding a giant turtle. Okay, everything is brilliant. :) If the rest get better, then I'm in for a treat.

For Amazon's deal of the day, Sept. 17, 2013, this book (and the next 4 in the series) is on sale for $1.99 on Kindl
Frogy
Zasto sam ovoliko dugo cekala da zakoracim u Disksvet?! I ako bi neko od starosedelaca mogao da mi kaze kako da nabavim Prtljag od kruskovog drveta mudrosti, cini mi se da je pametno imati jedan ;)
  • The Sprouts of Wrath
  • Magician (The Riftwar Saga, #1-2)
  • Gormenghast (Gormenghast, #2)
  • The Portable Door (J. W. Wells & Co., #1)
  • Better than Life
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)
  • The Black Company (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #1)
  • Sign of the Unicorn
  • Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2)
  • Pani jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #7)
  • Backwards
  • Swords and Deviltry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #1)
  • Starship Titanic
  • The Salmon of Doubt (Dirk Gently, #3)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) Night Watch (Discworld, #29; City Watch #6) Going Postal (Discworld, #33; Moist von Lipwig, #1)

“If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards!” 899 likes
“You can't map a sense of humor. Anyway, what is a fantasy map but a space beyond which There Be Dragons? On the Discworld we know that There Be Dragons Everywhere. They might not all have scales and forked tongues, but they Be Here all right, grinning and jostling and trying to sell you souvenirs. ” 237 likes