Start by marking “The Boy Knight: A Tale of the Crusades” as Want to Read:
The Boy Knight: A Tale of the Crusades

The Boy Knight: A Tale of the Crusades

The Boy Knight: A Tale of the Crusades is the story of a young man in battle during the excitement of the Crusades. The hero of the story, Cuthbert, follows King Richard to the Holy Land. Cuthbert's presence of mind and common sense, his loyalty, honesty, valor, and quick wits are all characteristics that make us and his comrades in the book admire and respect him. And any ...more
Published May 26th 2006 by Dover Publications (first published 1882)

Rebecca
Feb 02, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When this adventure begins, Cuthbert is a boy of fifteen living at home with his mother in Norman England. He hears information and is able to warn the outlaws living in the forest, among whom he has relatives, of an impending attack by the Earl of Evesham, who resents their killing his deer without permission. The forest men are reconciled to the Earl, however, when Cuthbert summons their help to rescue the Earl’s daughter from a kidnapping by a nearby vindictive Norman nobleman. After Cuthbert ...more
The Gatekeeper
Feb 11, 2009 The Gatekeeper rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes history and adventure
Recommended to The Gatekeeper by: my history/literature program
The thing I don't like about G.A. Henty is that he usually seems more interested in teaching history than in writing a good story. In The Dragon and the Raven, for example, he spends a lot more time talking about the battles between the British and Danish people than about the actual plot. For me, at least, that got a little boring. But Winning His Spurs is more balanced; there's still plenty of history, but it's mainly a series of fast-paced adventures in the life of Cuthbert, an exceptionally ...more
Jatosion
Apr 13, 2015 Jatosion rated it did not like it
its boring beyond beleif. Half life 3 will come out before i finish this book. i pick the book up and put it down instantly. in short its boring as watching to yaks waiting for there paint to dry on their fur.
Amelia Pease
Mar 10, 2014 Amelia Pease rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(This is a "critique" that I wrote as an assignment. I hope it's helpful! It was a good book, just as I said, but not one of my all time favorites...)

Cuthbert, a young boy, aspiring knight, and prodigal page, begins his journey to win his spurs during the crusades and on the way grows to be a man and ultimately saves his country. Winning His Spurs: A Tale of the Crusades, first published in 1882 and written by G. A. Henty, is a historical adventure novel set during the Third Crusade. It follows
Skjam!
Jun 21, 2013 Skjam! rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: patient children, Victorian literature buffs
G.A. Henty (1852-1902) was a writer of children’s historical fiction, who began his career as an author after a friend heard him telling bedtime stories to his kids. Like many Victorian authors, he’s out of favor these days, but my parents found this book at an estate sale.

Cuthbert is fifteen when the story begins, a lad of mixed Norman and Saxon blood during the reign of Richard I (Richard the Lionheart.) This gives him ties to both his late father’s cousin, the Earl of Evesham, and his mother’
Alicia Willis
Aug 16, 2012 Alicia Willis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Winning His Spurs is an amazing book, detailing the life and adventures of a young Saxon/Norman page during the Third Crusade. Usual gallantry, adventure, and chivalry follow the antics of this very courageous and spirited young warrior.

This was the book that first inspired me to write my own medieval series and was the book that made me keep trying to be a good writer - no matter what.

For the most part, historical accuracy predominates the storyline. However, I did catch one or two questionabl
Seth
Mar 11, 2009 Seth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a lot of G.A. Henty's works. This is one of my favorites, covering a period of time during the crusades. Though a bit stiff in style (Henty died in the early 1900s), the adventure is exciting, the romance palatable, and from what I've read in other sources, the history is relatively accurate. I would suggest this book to history lovers, readers of Verne, Hugo, Conan Doyle, or Turtledove--or someone looking for a good adventure book outside the spectrum of popular fiction.
Rachel
Fun and very informative tale set in the time of King Richard, Robin Hood and his merry men. And in grand Henty fashion...where else can a young boy gain favor with the King of England, come up with cunning idea's in battle, come back from the war an earl at only 16, take back his castle from a villain, and marry the girl! ;)
Heather
I really liked this book. I haven't read it to the kids yet as I think the subject matter such that they need to be a bit older.

It is well written and fast paced. The main character is someone you can really like and cheer for. Great historical context and would be a great addition to a study of the Crusades. Best used during the middle school/junior high years.
Elise
Henty books are always super informative and epic in scope. The language is challenging, especially to read aloud (which is how I have read 2 of the 3 Henty books on my shelf), but it's worth wading through the detail and the dated language to learn a slice of history very well.

I consider Henty's books to be valuable reading/listening for my children.
Faith Bradham
I read this for my Omnibus class and they give intros to each book we read. In their intro they say that Henty has the marvelous gift of writing historical fiction. Ummm, a lot of people have that gift, and Henty is definately not one of my favorites. His heroes are so incredibly perfect that they're annoying (kind of like Elsie Dinsmore) and his prose is a bit stiff.
Chrystal
Jan 23, 2017 Chrystal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am learning that I am not a huge Henty fan. (I probably shouldn't have publicly admitted that) I love his desire to inspire young readers in bravery and honor and to teach them history while weaving a fictional thread through it. I just have a hard time following his style of writing. I'm glad I read it, but this may be my last Henty.
Brian
Apr 30, 2011 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolute Henty. Some of the stuff here is really good (Richard and John are loads of fun.) The ending got exciting and then fizzled. Perhaps the best thing about this book is the character arc of the sidekick.
Lydia
Mar 02, 2010 Lydia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The setting and view of King Richard was kinda cool but the kid was like bleh and it was unrealistic. Robin Hood's guest appearance also made me happpy but other than that...it just wasnt fun to read. the adventures were kinda repetitive really.
Craig Herbertson
Apr 26, 2013 Craig Herbertson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Distinctly remember the bravery of the christian knights just before they were beheaded. In some cases this was of course true but Henty's world view was so steeped in militant Christianity I'm not sure I would swing with it now
John Yelverton
Jul 01, 2016 John Yelverton rated it liked it
G.A. Henty's book was weak on the history, and a little brief on the relay of events. It also felt like he was just copying the story of Robin Hood with the character Sir Cuthbert, until Robin Hood actually shows up. It's not a bad book, but Henty has written a lot better.
Thomas
Sep 05, 2009 Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Henty's stories are always good, and this was no exception. This is the story of a boy who succeeds beyond his wildest imagination through hard work, determination, courage, and inventiveness. A great character building story written a century ago, but still applicable in its moral lessons.
Dani
Mar 31, 2011 Dani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this aloud to the kids. We always enjoy reading Henty together; wonderful language, and great historical backgrounds. His books, if you read too many close together, definitely will start to sound alike; rather formulaic. Enjoyable nonetheless.
Gary Cann
Very much an early twentieth century boy’s adventure book. It is, however, quite interesting in how it brings in facts and details to fill out the historical picture. A good enjoyable read.
Sep 22, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Henty book took longer to get into than the King Alfred one...overall, too fantastic for believability but a fun adventure book for a young male reader, the aim of Henty.
Rachel Worley
Feb 05, 2014 Rachel Worley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good!!
Angelyn
Oct 15, 2013 Angelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tale of the crusades
Jimi
Winnning His Spurs? I haven't read it, but "Winning his Spurs" is a famous quip about the Black PrinceFrom the 1346 Crecy Campaign. Nothing to do with the crusades!
PWRL
May 31, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Radagast
One of the coolest Henty books I've ever read
Joe
Oct 31, 2010 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A devastatingly good read.
Amanda Marie
eh, its alright. Its for school-so-yea.... :P
Mrs. C.
Oct 27, 2016 Mrs. C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Victorian author, heroic tales marketed for Christian boys, great for home school families
Catherine Van
Jul 14, 2015 Catherine Van rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Amazing BOOK!
Jeb
Jan 15, 2011 Jeb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: g-a--henty
once again awesome book.
  • Rebel's Keep (Crown and Covenant, #3)
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • The Dog Crusoe: A Tale of the Western Plains
  • Augustine Came to Kent
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem
  • El Dorado: Further Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Beorn the Proud
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • The Hidden Treasure of Glaston
  • Tom Swift and His Submarine Boat (Tom Swift Sr, #4)
  • Red Hugh: Prince of Donegal
  • Heart of Courage (Viking Quest, #4)
George Alfred Henty, better known as G.A. Henty, began his storytelling career with his own children. After dinner, he would spend and hour or two in telling them a story that would continue the next day. Some stories took weeks! A friend was present one day and watched the spell-bound reaction of his children suggesting Henty write down his stories so others could enjoy them. He did. Henty wrote ...more
More about G.A. Henty...

“Whether success will crown the effort, or whether God wills it otherwise, it is not for man to discuss; it is enough that the work is there, and it is our duty to do it.” 1 likes