Start by marking “Fraternity Village” as Want to Read:
Fraternity Village

Fraternity Village

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  6 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Published October 7th 2009 by Amereon House (first published June 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Fraternity Village, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fraternity Village

Linda
Mar 30, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it

Fraternity Village, authored by Ben Ames Williams, is a compilation of short stories that interweave the lives and times of characters residing in Fraternity, Maine, at the turn of the twentieth century. Each story was beautifully written in its descriptions of both the land and its inhabitants: “Indolence rode him; he wore it like a garment.”

Ben, the storyteller who returns to Fraternity on a regular basis to hunt and fish, takes us through the horse-and-buggy days to the first autos
Jane Mclean
Notes to self: Ben A. Williams was a well-known short story writer and novelist in the first half of the 20th century. Although not from around here, he wrote many short stories about "Fraternity" AKA Searsmont ME. I live in a town next to Searsmont, and this author was recommended by the man who painted our condo. Great reading, great characters, and beautiful descriptions. My favorite: "The Piano"--even though I knew how it would turn out, I loved how Williams led us to the inevitable conclusi ...more
Cynthia
Sep 04, 2015 Cynthia rated it liked it
Old-fashioned and sentimental and quite enjoyable. It took a few stories, but I grew to appreciate the writing style and predictability. The author truly loved the people and land of past days in Maine. His appreciation shines through and enriches today's reader.
Ray Estabrook
Jan 25, 2013 Ray Estabrook rated it really liked it
Each short story grew progressively better till finally the last two, "My Grandmothers Leg" and "Road Discontinued" were really gripping. All in all well worth reading. And now when I drive through Searsmont I will know why the store is called fraternity Village store...
Autumn
Aug 18, 2011 Autumn rated it liked it
Highly enjoyable collection of short stories Williams published in a variety of magazines. All about a village in Maine, its inhabitants, and their lives. Lots of hunting, fishing, Yankee ingenuity, and a few tall tales.
Ian Hartin
Ian Hartin rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Pamela Santos
Pamela Santos marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Dutchy
Dutchy marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2012
Petty
Petty marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2010