Start by marking “The Last Hero: A Discworld Fable (Discworld, #27)” as Want to Read:
The Last Hero: A Discworld Fable (Discworld, #27)

The Last Hero: A Discworld Fable (Discworld #27)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  22,763 Ratings  ·  480 Reviews
Cohen the Barbarian.He's been a legend in his own lifetime.He can remember the good old days of high adventure, when being a Hero meant one didn't have to worry about aching backs and lawyers and civilization.But these days, he can't always remember just where he put his teeth...So now, with his ancient (yet still trusty) sword and new walking stick in hand, Cohen gathers ...more
Published October 16th 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Hero

Antonio
Dec 14, 2015 Antonio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este es uno de los libros que me ha gustado del mundodisco, por varias razones, no solo tiene al cobarde de Rincewind salvando al mundo una vez mas, aunque el solo quisiera huir y/o esconderse; sino que tiene una cofradía de personajes de todo el disco, tenemos a todo El cuadro académico de la ilustre universidad invisible, al Patricio de Ankh-Morpork Lord Vetinari, al Capitán Zanahoria de la guardia de la ciudad, a La muerte (que no podría faltar) y lo mejor de todo a la Horda de plata

Este gru
Melki
May 21, 2014 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'And the thing is...the big thing about Cohen is...he's contagious.'

'You mean he's a plague carrier?'

'It's like a mental illness, sir. Or magic. He's as crazy as a stoat, but...once they've been around him for a while, people start seeing the world the way he does. All big and simple and they want to be part of it.'

This must be how Cohen the Barbarian got his Silver Horde to follow him up the highest mountain in Discworld to return something that was stolen from the Gods. BUT - for reasons too c
Patrick
Apr 08, 2012 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the the last book on Terry Pratchett re-read binge.

While not as substantial as some of the rest of his books (I'm pretty sure the wordcount is less than half of his usual) this book makes up for it by being beautifully illustrated by Paul Kidby. I've never seen an artist do such spot-on interpretations of an author's characters. Kidby's work is really amazing.
S.A.
Jul 11, 2012 S.A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this slim book tucked away behind other books. I think I hid it like a last bottle of really excellent wine.

This time the sassy, wonderful, snide, silly, colorful, twisted thingamabobs associated with Sir Terry's wordsmithery are augmented by Paul Kidby's frantic illustrations. What a visual and verbal banquet. In my volume, page 130-131 is particularly enchanting.

It's hard to pick a favorite character in Sir Terry's pantheon, but damn, Lord Vetinari, the cultivated, calculating, well-m
Ashish
Oct 22, 2012 Ashish rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humour
"So many worlds. So little time."
In the course of the last 26 books, Pratchett gave us a brilliant cast of characters. We've watched them appear, grow, evolve, and become a part of the Discworld Universe; Cohen was the only one who was who he was, in the beginning and till the end. That's what defined him, and that's what also, I thought, made him increasingly irrelevant in a Discworld with high-speed communications, reformed and societally-assimilated monsters, the rule of law & order and,
Wastrel
An installment that it's very easy to overlook: it's only a very short illustrated novel, after all. More a lengthy short story than a novel, to be honest. And when you think about the plot, the characters and so on, it's all very simple, very small, nothing all that impressive.

But the flip side of that is that there's no room for most of Pratchett's vices. Combine that tight focus with an author at the peak of his powers, and the result is near-perfect execution. The comic bits are very funny,
Elise
Mar 03, 2009 Elise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really like my first couple of experiences with Terry Pratchett. The first book I tried from Discworld was "The Color of Magic." I figured I start with it because it was the first book, but I was really disappointed with it and found it unfunny. I still wanted to give Discworld another chance though because I really wanted to like Terry Pratchett. So, I read around and found out that most people found his funniest book was "Guards! Guards!" So, I decided to buy it. I found it slightly b ...more
Cynthia Egbert
May 31, 2010 Cynthia Egbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun "fable" indeed. My kids love this one for the amazing illustrations. Not all of which I appreciate as much as they do. But the story is still a delight. I think it to be a perfect ending to Cohen the Barbarian. Pure Pratchett. Some favorite quotes:

"The messages were in code, of course. If you have news about the end of the world, you don't want EVERYONE to know."

"No, not craftsmen, my lord," he said. "I have no use for people who have learned the limits of the possible." (One of my
Amanda
May 13, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I NEED TO OWN THIS BOOK ASAP. It has pictures! Of old men! And dragons!
Even without the illustrations, I'd buy it anyway.

The Last Hero is technically a Rincewind book but it's mainly about Cohen & The Silver Horde and Leonard of Quirm, served with a side of Carrot. It also has a bunch of other people. It's glorious. I loved Vena/Mrs. McGarry - one of the reasons I love Pratchett is because he writes awesome women. I like that Vena doesn't do much in the realm of swashbuckling, even though w
Myles
Aug 11, 2010 Myles rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor, the-end
Due to the large format of this book - which after reading I would never dream of having scaled down - it is not carried in many places; As I was too impatient to wait for it to come in on order, I instead had read it at the local library.

The Last Hero is a great story, when long-standing characters are illustrated it often comes out wrong, but Kirby nailed it, especially with Rincewind and the Gods.

The basic story is in two arcs, focusing on the aging Silver Hoard (last seen in Interesting Tim
Felipe Guerrero
May 15, 2016 Felipe Guerrero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
El último héroe le devolverá a los dioses algo que el primer héroe les robó.

¡No podía ser mas épica la premisa!

Cohen el Barbaro, junto a su Horda de Plata, son mis personajes favoritos de esta saga de libros.

Me encantó este libro, ahora este es mi libro favorito del Mundodisco. Gracias señor Pratchett, gracias por escribir este magnifico libro.
Trudy
Readathon Category #11: A funny book
Skip
Feb 18, 2012 Skip rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Cohen the Barbarian and his troupe set off to return fire to the Gods, when their real plan is to set-off a bomb. Meanwhile, the Patrician organizes a team to thwart them, anchored by Leonard of Quirm, Captain Carrot, and Rincewind, which involves rocketing undenearth Discworld. Nicely illustrated, and good to see the characters from a number of Pratchett novels.
Dane Cobain
Apr 18, 2016 Dane Cobain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Last Hero is marketed as ‘a Discworld fable‘, and it’s unique in that it’s illustrated throughout by Paul Kidby, a talented artist who’s known for his depictions of the Disc and its inhabitants. Because of this, it’s a must-have for any serious Discworld fan, and a great little addition to Pratchett’s portfolio.

In a nutshell, the story line follows Cohen the Barbarian as he embarks on one last adventure. He plans to climb the highest mountain in the Discworld to meet the gods, so he can find
Inamoena
Jun 17, 2015 Inamoena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humoristic
Rinzwind, the Librarian, Leonard and Carrot in space! Normally, I'm no great fan of the Discworld-books featuring the wizards, but this one had me chuckling out loud. (Which is quite embarrassing and gets you an awful lot of strange looks when you're reading in a fully packed train.) Cohen and his cohorts belong in a geriatric centre, but decide to have on last adventure: returning the stolen fire to the gods. This would end the world of course, and Ankh-Morpork sends its best and brightest to t ...more
Jon
Mar 10, 2016 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
One of the shortest and most overlooked Discworld novels might be one of the best. I've seen plenty of praise about Terry Pratchett's series as a whole and most of the books get recommended individually here and there, but for some reason it seems like The Last Hero never receives an honorable mention. For the life of me I can't imagine why.

With perhaps half the word count as your latter-day Discworld novels, this one is just as impactful as the rest. Excellent, fun concept that brings you along
Brett
Sep 18, 2015 Brett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just what I needed to wash away the lingering after-effects of Revelation Space... short, sweet, perfect Pratchett. If you've ever wondered why satire is an important artform, Pratchett shows us, with his uncanny ability to take cliches and archetypes, twist them around, and use them to teach us a little more about ourselves:

"He'd never been keen on heroes. But he realised that he needed them to be there, like forests and mountains... he might never see them, but they filled some sort of hole in
Matthew Lloyd
Feb 28, 2016 Matthew Lloyd rated it really liked it
I had been thinking, following the death of Terry Pratchett and the release of The Shepherd's Crown this year, that I had but one Discworld book yet to read. But back in 2001, after the death of Josh Kirby, there was one Discworld book that I could not bring myself to read. Before I had even begun to read the Discworld books, I had come to associate the Disc with the art of Kirby's detailed fantasy settings, the billowing robes of long-bearded wizzards, the bumpy bodies of the human figures, t ...more
Katerina
Un libro di Terry Pratchett è sempre una garanzia ma ci sono volte che cominci con qualche riserva: The Last Hero è un libro illustrato di 176 pagine con, credo, un terzo delle parole che ci sono di solito.
Che sia brutto non te lo aspetti. Che sia meno... sì.
Ma Terry Pratchett è un genio e non dobbiamo mai, mai, dimenticarlo.

A volte non riesco a non pensare a come avrei voluto conoscere Terry Pratchett durante la mia infanzia, e come i miei eventuali figli lo conosceranno durante la loro (se si
Aoife
Jan 29, 2013 Aoife rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It is impossible to rate just the story, because of the really really beautiful Kidby-pictures on almost every page (well, every page, the few pages without colour-pictures have nice background-images). I mean there are swamp-dragons, moon-dragons, kitties (actually: Death with a kitty, and a kitty playing with the Tail of the Death of Rats), the wizzards, and of course the heroes, the 'silver horde'. They are all awesome, and incredibly detailed, I want all of them as poster for my room XD.

Now
Andrew
Jan 24, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the two large format books from the Discworld - (the other being Eric), however it is far more lavishly illustrated - this time by Paul KIdby - as this was published at the time of John Kirbys death. The illustrations are of a totally different style and although Kirby's style will be forever connected to the early Pratchett works I think these are just as good and compliment the story perfectly.
As for the story its quiet short considering the number of illustrations through
Jose Luis
May 27, 2015 Jose Luis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A diferencia de los libros que le preceden en la saga, Pratchett vuelve a sus orígenes en los que en lugar de analizar cómo un mundo fantástico se vuelve moderno, juega con lo que le queda de mágico.

El Último Héroe satiriza los tópicos de las fantasías clásicas, en los héroes que ganan las batallas simplemente por ser los buenos, y lo condensa en una historia breve maravillosamente ilustrada por el gran Paul Kidby.

Pese a lo simple de la historia, y lo metidos con calzador que están los personaj
Will Ransohoff
Jun 08, 2015 Will Ransohoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a beautifully-illustrated attempt to write a fictional myth. It mixes the epic heroics of Greek mythology, the elegiac mood of Norse sagas, and the snappy writing and dialogue of modern fiction. I'm not sure what else to say about it, but as an experiment in mixing genres it works very well; its short length keeps the strange format from wearing out its welcome. I wish this sort of toying around with risky ideas and formats was more common.
Jorge Rosas
Mar 17, 2016 Jorge Rosas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cohen the barbarian emperor wants to give something back to the Gods and pass to immortality trough a saga about that, he reunites the sliver horde and of course they're all about the same age. It was hilarious and invites to reflect on what happens when we reach the last hero and the role of Gods, full of satire to the hero cliques and Space Travel! We even have the discworld's Leonardo!
Evgeni Kirilov
May 03, 2015 Evgeni Kirilov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written, one of my favorite, if not the favorite Rincewind story. Considering that my #2 is Interesting Times, which also features Cohen and the Silver Horde, it's possible that I am enjoying them more than I am enjoying Rincewind himself, but I think that's fine.
Erin
Apr 11, 2016 Erin added it
Love the Horde. I LOVE them. The illustrated edition had some really awesome pictures, but I felt like it made the Horde too mean, instead of just being the best and craziest and fiercest old men.
Mary Catelli
May 19, 2015 Mary Catelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy, humor
An illustrated tale, somewhat shorter than usual, of the Discworld. Involving Cohen the Barbarian, Rincewind, and Carrot.

Cohen and his Silver Horde set out, kidnapping a minstrel, to return fire to the gods. The Counterweight Continent sent word by albatross to Ankh-Morpork, where, they figure, they can do something about it.

One thing they can do is figure out that the heroes' plan would destroy the Discworld in minutes.

The resulting story involves rubies, Cohen and the Silver Horde applying the
Gwynn
Jan 04, 2016 Gwynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I fiiinally got my hands on this - the last published discworld novel (or fable in this case) I didn't have yet. And then it still took me a while to start on it, because while I really really wanted to read it, then I would have read it and then what.

It's a shorter story than usual, though not quite as much shorter than I was expecting, acutally! There was still a lot happening. And it's Terry Pratchett so I roll around in enjoyment of the perfection of a sentence, so. Also THE ART IN THIS. It'
Kevin Kuehn
The writing of the The Last Hero was clever, and the story was interesting, but I just couldn't get into it. The constant shifting of character perspectives plus the atypical (satirical) approach to the writing made it really hard for me to sustain interest. Having said that, it's clear that Pratchett is hysterical. There were moments where I really appreciated how he flipped traditional hero tales upside down, and I was definitely laughing out loud at points.
Óli Sóleyjarson
Jan 11, 2016 Óli Sóleyjarson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skemmtileg Rincewind/Cohen bók. Ég var samt í fyrsta sinn að lesa hana í hreinu textaformi. Allt öðruvísi reynsla.
Return for the Silver Horde! 6 42 Aug 25, 2013 05:24PM
  • The Brentford Chainstore Massacre
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • Flying Dutch
  • The Wizards of Odd
  • Terry Pratchett
  • After the King: Stories in Honor of J.R.R. Tolkien

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)

“I DON'T HOLD WITH CRUELTY TO CATS.” 209 likes
“Lots of people would be as cowardly as me if they were brave enough.” 193 likes