Start by marking “The Last Hero: A Discworld Fable (Discworld, #27)” as Want to Read:
The Last Hero: A Discworld Fable (Discworld, #27)

The Last Hero: A Discworld Fable (Discworld #27)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  20,876 ratings  ·  420 reviews
Cohen the Barbarian.He's been a legend in his own lifetime.He can remember the good old days of high adventure, when being a Hero meant one didn't have to worry about aching backs and lawyers and civilization.But these days, he can't always remember just where he put his teeth...So now, with his ancient (yet still trusty) sword and new walking stick in hand, Cohen gathers ...more
Published October 16th 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Hero

'And the thing is...the big thing about Cohen is...he's contagious.'

'You mean he's a plague carrier?'

'It's like a mental illness, sir. Or magic. He's as crazy as a stoat, but...once they've been around him for a while, people start seeing the world the way he does. All big and simple and they want to be part of it.'

This must be how Cohen the Barbarian got his Silver Horde to follow him up the highest mountain in Discworld to return something that was stolen from the Gods. BUT - for reasons too c
This was the the last book on Terry Pratchett re-read binge.

While not as substantial as some of the rest of his books (I'm pretty sure the wordcount is less than half of his usual) this book makes up for it by being beautifully illustrated by Paul Kidby. I've never seen an artist do such spot-on interpretations of an author's characters. Kidby's work is really amazing.
I found this slim book tucked away behind other books. I think I hid it like a last bottle of really excellent wine.

This time the sassy, wonderful, snide, silly, colorful, twisted thingamabobs associated with Sir Terry's wordsmithery are augmented by Paul Kidby's frantic illustrations. What a visual and verbal banquet. In my volume, page 130-131 is particularly enchanting.

It's hard to pick a favorite character in Sir Terry's pantheon, but damn, Lord Vetinari, the cultivated, calculating, well-m
An installment that it's very easy to overlook: it's only a very short illustrated novel, after all. More a lengthy short story than a novel, to be honest. And when you think about the plot, the characters and so on, it's all very simple, very small, nothing all that impressive.

But the flip side of that is that there's no room for most of Pratchett's vices. Combine that tight focus with an author at the peak of his powers, and the result is near-perfect execution. The comic bits are very funny,
I NEED TO OWN THIS BOOK ASAP. It has pictures! Of old men! And dragons!
Even without the illustrations, I'd buy it anyway.

The Last Hero is technically a Rincewind book but it's mainly about Cohen & The Silver Horde and Leonard of Quirm, served with a side of Carrot. It also has a bunch of other people. It's glorious. I loved Vena/Mrs. McGarry - one of the reasons I love Pratchett is because he writes awesome women. I like that Vena doesn't do much in the realm of swashbuckling, even though w
"So many worlds. So little time."
In the course of the last 26 books, Pratchett gave us a brilliant cast of characters. We've watched them appear, grow, evolve, and become a part of the Discworld Universe; Cohen was the only one who was who he was, in the beginning and till the end. That's what defined him, and that's what also, I thought, made him increasingly irrelevant in a Discworld with high-speed communications, reformed and societally-assimilated monsters, the rule of law & order and,
Due to the large format of this book - which after reading I would never dream of having scaled down - it is not carried in many places; As I was too impatient to wait for it to come in on order, I instead had read it at the local library.

The Last Hero is a great story, when long-standing characters are illustrated it often comes out wrong, but Kirby nailed it, especially with Rincewind and the Gods.

The basic story is in two arcs, focusing on the aging Silver Hoard (last seen in Interesting Tim
Matthew Lloyd
I had been thinking, following the death of Terry Pratchett and the release of The Shepherd's Crown this year, that I had but one Discworld book yet to read. But back in 2001, after the death of Josh Kirby, there was one Discworld book that I could not bring myself to read. Before I had even begun to read the Discworld books, I had come to associate the Disc with the art of Kirby's detailed fantasy settings, the billowing robes of long-bearded wizzards, the bumpy bodies of the human figures, t ...more
Cohen the Barbarian and his troupe set off to return fire to the Gods, when their real plan is to set-off a bomb. Meanwhile, the Patrician organizes a team to thwart them, anchored by Leonard of Quirm, Captain Carrot, and Rincewind, which involves rocketing undenearth Discworld. Nicely illustrated, and good to see the characters from a number of Pratchett novels.
Rinzwind, the Librarian, Leonard and Carrot in space! Normally, I'm no great fan of the Discworld-books featuring the wizards, but this one had me chuckling out loud. (Which is quite embarrassing and gets you an awful lot of strange looks when you're reading in a fully packed train.) Cohen and his cohorts belong in a geriatric centre, but decide to have on last adventure: returning the stolen fire to the gods. This would end the world of course, and Ankh-Morpork sends its best and brightest to t ...more
I fiiinally got my hands on this - the last published discworld novel (or fable in this case) I didn't have yet. And then it still took me a while to start on it, because while I really really wanted to read it, then I would have read it and then what.

It's a shorter story than usual, though not quite as much shorter than I was expecting, acutally! There was still a lot happening. And it's Terry Pratchett so I roll around in enjoyment of the perfection of a sentence, so. Also THE ART IN THIS. It'
Just what I needed to wash away the lingering after-effects of Revelation Space... short, sweet, perfect Pratchett. If you've ever wondered why satire is an important artform, Pratchett shows us, with his uncanny ability to take cliches and archetypes, twist them around, and use them to teach us a little more about ourselves:

"He'd never been keen on heroes. But he realised that he needed them to be there, like forests and mountains... he might never see them, but they filled some sort of hole in
Un libro di Terry Pratchett è sempre una garanzia ma ci sono volte che cominci con qualche riserva: The Last Hero è un libro illustrato di 176 pagine con, credo, un terzo delle parole che ci sono di solito.
Che sia brutto non te lo aspetti. Che sia meno... sì.
Ma Terry Pratchett è un genio e non dobbiamo mai, mai, dimenticarlo.

A volte non riesco a non pensare a come avrei voluto conoscere Terry Pratchett durante la mia infanzia, e come i miei eventuali figli lo conosceranno durante la loro (se si
I didn't really like my first couple of experiences with Terry Pratchett. The first book I tried from Discworld was "The Color of Magic." I figured I start with it because it was the first book, but I was really disappointed with it and found it unfunny. I still wanted to give Discworld another chance though because I really wanted to like Terry Pratchett. So, I read around and found out that most people found his funniest book was "Guards! Guards!" So, I decided to buy it. I found it slightly b ...more
Cynthia Egbert
This is a fun "fable" indeed. My kids love this one for the amazing illustrations. Not all of which I appreciate as much as they do. But the story is still a delight. I think it to be a perfect ending to Cohen the Barbarian. Pure Pratchett. Some favorite quotes:

"The messages were in code, of course. If you have news about the end of the world, you don't want EVERYONE to know."

"No, not craftsmen, my lord," he said. "I have no use for people who have learned the limits of the possible." (One of my
It is impossible to rate just the story, because of the really really beautiful Kidby-pictures on almost every page (well, every page, the few pages without colour-pictures have nice background-images). I mean there are swamp-dragons, moon-dragons, kitties (actually: Death with a kitty, and a kitty playing with the Tail of the Death of Rats), the wizzards, and of course the heroes, the 'silver horde'. They are all awesome, and incredibly detailed, I want all of them as poster for my room XD.

This book is one of the two large format books from the Discworld - (the other being Eric), however it is far more lavishly illustrated - this time by Paul KIdby - as this was published at the time of John Kirbys death. The illustrations are of a totally different style and although Kirby's style will be forever connected to the early Pratchett works I think these are just as good and compliment the story perfectly.
As for the story its quiet short considering the number of illustrations through
Jose Luis
A diferencia de los libros que le preceden en la saga, Pratchett vuelve a sus orígenes en los que en lugar de analizar cómo un mundo fantástico se vuelve moderno, juega con lo que le queda de mágico.

El Último Héroe satiriza los tópicos de las fantasías clásicas, en los héroes que ganan las batallas simplemente por ser los buenos, y lo condensa en una historia breve maravillosamente ilustrada por el gran Paul Kidby.

Pese a lo simple de la historia, y lo metidos con calzador que están los personaj
Will Ransohoff
This book is a beautifully-illustrated attempt to write a fictional myth. It mixes the epic heroics of Greek mythology, the elegiac mood of Norse sagas, and the snappy writing and dialogue of modern fiction. I'm not sure what else to say about it, but as an experiment in mixing genres it works very well; its short length keeps the strange format from wearing out its welcome. I wish this sort of toying around with risky ideas and formats was more common.
Evgeni Kirilov
Very well written, one of my favorite, if not the favorite Rincewind story. Considering that my #2 is Interesting Times, which also features Cohen and the Silver Horde, it's possible that I am enjoying them more than I am enjoying Rincewind himself, but I think that's fine.
Mary Catelli
An illustrated tale, somewhat shorter than usual, of the Discworld. Involving Cohen the Barbarian, Rincewind, and Carrot.

Cohen and his Silver Horde set out, kidnapping a minstrel, to return fire to the gods. The Counterweight Continent sent word by albatross to Ankh-Morpork, where, they figure, they can do something about it.

One thing they can do is figure out that the heroes' plan would destroy the Discworld in minutes.

The resulting story involves rubies, Cohen and the Silver Horde applying the
Dwipa Bayulangga
He's been a legend in his own lifetime.
He can remember when a hero didn't have to worry about fences and lawyers and civilisation, and when people didn't tell you off for killing dragons.
But he can't always remember, these days, where he put his teeth . . .
So now, with his ancient sword and his new walking stick and his old friends -- and they're very old friends -- Cohen the Barbarian is going on one final quest. He's going to climb the highest mountain in the Discworld and meet his gods.
The la
Tulio Fernandez
El nombre de Terry Pratchett es mundialmente conocido por su saga de Mundodisco, ambientada en un mundo paralelo de fantasía el cual, y tal como su nombre lo indica, es un disco que está sostenido por cuatro elefantes apoyados en una tortuga gigante que avanza por el universo.

En este mundo conviven magos, decanos, dioses de diferentes raleas, formas y sabores, conquistadores temibles, banqueros, bardos, orangutanes bibliotecarios y cualquier cosa que parece no tener sentido, en un maremágnum y c
Apr 16, 2014 Brittany rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any Discworld title
This in many ways meets most of the enjoyment of Discworld in one relatively short book. The humor is constantly spot on, the different puns about both the legend of how man got fire, growing old as a hero and space exploration thrown into the absurdly funny fantasy world had me going through this book devouring every moment in word. I love the Discworld series and cherish many of the stories, this one is sitting near the top of my favorite giving us all but the witches from the series to look a ...more
Michael Clemens
Eternal coward Rincewind takes a welcome back seat to this sendoff to Cohen the Barbarian and his silver hoarde. The art enlivens a very short tale, too short, in fact, as there are many points at which it feels that Pratchett's prose is constrained by the format of the book -- a scene ends rapidly and is followed by a two-page art.

And the art: by and large, very enjoyable, and even jibes with my mental image of how some of the characters "should" look, which is a testament I suppose to Sir Terr
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
In Discworld, more then most places, what we take as myth is more literal. In the beginning, the great hero Mazda, maybe known elsewhere as Prometheus, stole fire from the Gods. Well, Cohen the Barbarian and his Silver Horde have grown wealthy and old in the hero business themselves, but they don't like the old part, in fact, they have a beef to pick with the Gods about the whole "old" situation. So they've decided to return Mazda's ill gotten gains. With interest. The problem with most heroes t ...more
For some reason it doesn't feel like Terry Pratchett wrote this book. It seems like someone else wrote a book trying to sound like Pratchett. Some of the dialog seems off and the pace just doesn't feel like any other Pratchett story. It is still very entertaining, and the illustrations are amazing at times. An illustration of Cohen the Barbarian reaching out to the god Blind Io (modeled after Michelangelo's Creation of Adam) is worth the cost of the book.
Paul Lawston
I don't often read graphic novels or fully illustrated books these days, but The Last Hero, while not being Pratchett's strongest plot, is certainly one of his most lavishly beautiful. The plot is ridiculously silly; the world is going to end because Cohen the Barbarian wants to return the fire to the Gods, a reverse twist on the Greek myth of Prometheus. While all the Pratchettian characters are there, with fan favourites like Rincewind, Ridcully and Cohen making welcome reappearances, it's mos ...more
Melissa McShane
This isn't a very long Discworld novel--not really long enough to be called a novel--but the illustrations make the length unimportant. My only complaint is that the really large pictures are two-page spreads, which means that they're split down the middle and hard to see. On the other hand, the image of a dead A'Tuin coasting through space, the Discworld glowing red on its back, chills me every time.
This was my first time reading a book by Terry Pratchett and I had no idea what to expect. I certainly did not expect this book to be so humorous.

I was attracted to this book because of the illustrations. I haven't read a book with pictures since grade school. In addition, to the wonderful illustrations I was introduced a cast of witty and sarcastic characters. The plot is in a quick paced dialogue driven format and as I stated there is a thread of sarcasm and humor throughout the entire book.
Return for the Silver Horde! 6 40 Aug 25, 2013 05:24PM
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • The Suburban Book of the Dead: Armageddon III: The Remake
  • The Wizards of Odd
  • Grailblazers
  • Legends 3 (Legends 1, Volume 3of3)
  • After the King: Stories in Honor of J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 5: Agatha Heterodyne and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius #5)
  • You Can Be the Stainless Steel Rat

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)

“Lots of people would be as cowardly as me if they were brave enough.” 183 likes