Start by marking “Sweet Restraint” as Want to Read:
Sweet Restraint

Sweet Restraint

Red-hot romance and danger from a fabulous new voice in erotic fiction.

Chicago Special Agent Shane Dominic was in love with Laura Vasquez until the day she left him and married another man. Thirteen years may have passed, but Laura's never disappeared from his fantasies, or destroyed his desire to learn the truth about why she left him. When Laura's husband, the criminal
Trade Paperback, 326 pages
Published July 7th 2009 by Berkley (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Restraint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Restraint

Club Shadowlands by Cherise SinclairBreaking Free by Cherise SinclairDark Citadel by Cherise SinclairMake Me, Sir by Cherise SinclairMaster of the Mountain by Cherise Sinclair
BDSM Fiction
817 books — 1,267 voters
Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesBared to You by Sylvia DayFifty Shades Darker by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Freed by E.L. JamesBackstage Pass by Olivia Cunning
Best Erotica
2,030 books — 2,152 voters

More lists with this book...

Shawna
3 -4 stars – Romantic Suspense/Erotica/BDSM

My Top 10 Summary of Sweet Restraint:

1. It’s partly saved by Beth Kery’s talented, lush, erotic, sensual writing.
2. It’s loaded with lots of H-O-T, wicked, kinky, BDSM sex.
3. The hero is an uber alpha, domineering, bully, a**hole FBI agent named Shane “Dom” Dominic who’s sure to ruffle your feathers and raise your feminist hackles (he sure did mine).
4. The heroine is an exotically beautiful, artist named Laura Vasquez who’s annoying and self-indulgent,
Auntee
Jul 25, 2009 Auntee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of erotic romance which is heavy on BDSM
Ummmn...well, I like Beth Kery's writing--she paints quite a vivid picture. Her characters are usually fully developed and her plots are kind of intense and intricate, and make you think. The romance/sex is often very earthy, primal, and raw. That about describes "Sweet Restraint". So why wasn't I in love with this book? Waaay too much BDSM--that's just not my cuppa tea. The hero, FBI Special Agent in Charge Shane Dominic, was just way too dominant, arrogant, bossy...an over-the-top uber alpha, ...more
Holly
MelissaB
This book had both good and not-so-good parts. The story was interesting or it could have been if the sex didn't overshadow the story. The biggest problem was that the sex made me uncomfortable instead of hot (well most of the time, there were some hot scenes). I really felt like the hero went totally off his rocker for a little while when he kidnapped the heroine and pretty much forced her to do some BDSM things (Safe, sane and consentual it was not - well I guess one out of three ain't bad ...more
jenjn79
Jul 19, 2009 jenjn79 rated it it was ok
Recommended to jenjn79 by: previously read author
Most of the people who've read this book seemed to have really liked it, but I have to admit that it didn't really do anything for me. I found it to be tedious, annoying/frustrating and rather over-sexed. It was hard to get interested to keep reading and I often set it aside to do something less boring. After reading and enjoying Kery's book Wicked Burn, this one was a major disappointment. At least for this reader.

This story is based around two characters, Laura Vasquez and Shane Dominic, who h
Mahlet
Sep 17, 2009 Mahlet rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotic-romance, own, bdsm
I'm slowly easing back into the review game (pc problems - I'll spare you details) :) so I'm going to cheat and say my friend Shawna summed up my thoughts exactly. I don't mind the tough, almost a**hole alpha heros. Honestly, Wicked Burn's hero Vic ruffled a lot of feathers, but I just loved him and it's a top 3 erotic romance IMHO. Then Beth Kery followed up with Daring Time and although I thought she did an excellent job handling a time travel/ghost plot, it lacked the level of extreme heat I ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
FBI agent Shane Dominic is in charge of a special operation to rid the Chicago Police Department of a group of corrupt police officers and detectives who for decades have been running a highly profitable trafficking ring. For Shane, the hunt is personal: he's determined to nail Huey Mays, even though he's sure Mays isn't the brains behind the operation, because of one thing: Laura Vasquez.

Nearly thirteen years ago, Shane and Laura had been a couple deeply in love until suddenly, she marries Huey
Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
I have to admit I was a little blown away by the depth of this storyline! I was sort of expecting just a fun and sexy romp (you can't blame a girl, sometimes I just need a good sexy read) and instead I found a really sensual book with a compelling story and complex character development.

Plus lots and lots of really hot sex.

Did I mention the hot sex? :P

I would really reccommend this book to anyone looking for a nice hot read with a great story that goes along with it!
Kiru Taye
At the end of this book I was left with mixed feelings.

While the story is well written, the suspense and intrigue around the CPD theft ring and Laura's family well drawn out, and the chemistry between Shane and Laura sizzling like a butter on a hot pan, I found it difficult to really like Shane after some of the things he did to Laura in the cabin.

I'm not a fan of forced submission and believe all BDSM interactions should always be consensual for both parties.

To be honest, I would've forgiven hi
Sonya
This was a decent read and I loved Dom(of course). This would have been better for me, but I disliked Laura so much! Because of that it took away from the story. It did sizzle and the story was good.
Susi
Nov 04, 2009 Susi rated it liked it
This book is a standalone I won at the Bookbinge and OMFG that was hawt. As the cover shyly proclaims it’s about BDSM and a really naughty erotica. I enjoyed reading it. The pages flew by and to my surprise the book was over. I would have loved a little more story cuz at times at felt like reading p0rn. Some decisions the characters made where incomprehensible for me but I think I’m just a little narrow minded sometimes.Entertaining book and a good quick read!

Marion
Jul 17, 2009 Marion rated it liked it
Shelves: erotic-romance, bdsm
This book touched some bottons. Shane came across as a total bully. He kidnapped Laura to get answers to complete his investigation. Then he forced her submission. I don't like anything that's non consensual and while I could understand Shane's anger and hurt at Laura for leaving him 13 years ago it did not excuse his behavior toward her.
Esperanza
May 30, 2014 Esperanza rated it it was amazing
You like vivid, colorful descriptions of steamy BDSM scenes? Sweet restraint is the book for you. Really, that's all there is to say. Beth Kery is a beautiful writer, and the way she describes the scenes, are so erotic and sensual that you can't help but be turned on by them.
Michelle Kelly
Jul 31, 2010 Michelle Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotic, 2009-read
Jill Dunlop
Jun 09, 2010 Jill Dunlop rated it it was ok
FBI Agent Shane Dominic is investigating the Chicago Police for crooked cops. He suspects that Laura Vasquez's husband is one of them. When Laura's husband turns up dead he thinks Laura knows something about the crime ring her husband was a part of. Only Laura's not talking. Shane and Laura had a relationship thirteen years ago until she abruptly broke it off and married someone else. Shane didn't understand it then and he still doesn't. But he wants answers and to get them he kidnaps Laura for ...more
Larissa
Aug 10, 2013 Larissa rated it liked it
This book is hot, very hot. I still have no idea why my friend suggested this book for me. But hey, I managed to read it the same day I posted my very first “post”.

So, to make long story short…

Shane is a very special agent investigating corrupted cops and CUTE AS HELL.

Laura is the “victim” in his mind, but she is also a hero. They already knew each other for a long time, and some “tragedy” united them in an unusual way “today”.

They’re actually very much in love with each other. Oh, yeah…and Shan
Pupottina
Sep 11, 2013 Pupottina rated it it was amazing
“Puoi far sì che il mio corpo ti risponda, ma questo non significa che io ti appartenga.”
“No, ma è un buon inizio.”

Beth Kery, pur avendo un’impostazione tutta sua nel gestire le trame dei suoi romanzi, riesce a stupire le innumerevoli lettrici, con particolari accattivanti, sensuali che non perdono mai quel tocco inconfondibile di eleganza.
Con il romanzo Sottomessa al piacere, Beth Kery si conferma come la mia scrittrice di erotic romantic suspense preferita.
È un romanzo romantico, ma anche se
starsaga
Aug 09, 2016 starsaga rated it really liked it
This was a good story with a great Hero.
I like Beth Kery's writing, it is very polished and there is a story which goes along with the hot sex and passion between her characters. In this book the Hero Shane was a strong minded, head over heels in love with his lady, alpha man who was looking for a reason to clean up criminal activity and save his love at the same time. He was rough yet sweet, abrupt yet caring towards her and I liked where the story started years later after all the worst had al
Britt
This book, while not quite as good as Wicked Burnreminded me by I love Beth Kery so very much.

Other than the fact that she knows how to write erotic and steamy scenes better than anyone I know, what she excels in is balancing her plot lines. This was the perfect mix of romance, sex and suspense. The way she writes chemistry between her characters and the connection they share almost had me yelling 'HALLELUJAH!!!' after so many of the books I have read lately missing this very element.

This stor
Susan
Nov 30, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Even after thirteen years, Special agent Shane Dominic has never forgotten Laura Vasquez or her unexplained betrayal by marrying a man with ties to an international thief ring. When Laura's husband is murdered, Shane uses this chance to learn Laura's secrets and find out what her connections is to her husband. Her secrets are deep and he sees her fears. Can he convince her to trust him all the while kidnapping her to keep her safe? Restrained and at his mercy, Laura is in store for an erotic ...more
Chiara Cilli
May 02, 2014 Chiara Cilli rated it it was amazing
Oooh, quanto attendevo di leggere nuovamente un'opera della mitica Beth Kery *-* Confesso che mi sono commossa quando, aggirandomi per il sito della Harmony, ho beccato questo romanzo tra le uscite di marzo! Non vi dico l'Odissea che ho dovuto affrontare per accaparrarmelo il giorno stesso del rilascio o.O Non lo trovavo da nessuna parte, cacchio! Eh, ma dove voleva scappare?! Il giorno dopo è stato mio :wub: Tornare a leggere lo stile impeccabile di questa autrice è stato come placare la voglia ...more
Clay Rylee
I recieved this audio book as part of a Goodreads giveaway, this in no way affects my opinion or review of this audio book. Sweet Restraint was an average story when you look at nothing but the plot, it wasn't bad nor was it particularly great either. As for the character development, I found that to be very lacking but considering the type of story this is, I am not suprised therefor I won't count off for it. I will say this, just to give you an idea about how little the plot drive the story in ...more
Sharon
Jul 26, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: erotica-romance
3.5 stars. My friend Shawna did a great job of summing it up for sure. I didn't hate the hero, I actually hated the heroine. I think that was because her feelings and their progression about the hero were never explored enough. She went to hating him, to wanting him, to missing him, to loving him, to hating him, to pure anger, to hea. um - what? I wanted to see how all that was warranted. The hero was a jerk to her at times but that didn't bother me as much.

I will say there were some sex scenes
Dewi Read
Jul 15, 2011 Dewi Read rated it liked it
Campur aduk emosinya baca ini...mphft...awalnya sumpah sebel setengah mati sama Shane..seenaknya aja main culik Laura.. udah gitu juga Laura sangat menyebalkan mau aja wakaka, ni cerita kalo feminis baca bakalan dibakar bukunya hehehe karna secara cowoknya dominan sangat. Tapi di ending indah, palagi pas Shane dateng ke tempat Ortunya Laura ada disitu. Wow ..kalo disitu Caveman nya pantes lah diperlihatkan, ngk kayak awal2 cerita..jadi bingung ngasih bintang berapa..ok deh karna suka pas dekat ...more
Milly
Dec 15, 2015 Milly rated it really liked it
Beth Kery is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. Although there are some mixed reviews regarding this book, I thoroughly enjoyed it. H/H are young lovers, and are separated through a unfortunate situation. Hero is an FBI agent, back in town, and their path crosses again. She is a new widow with many secrets, that the FBI would like to know. The story evolves very nicely, and has it all, the romance, mystery, sexual scenes. Highly recommend.
Beatrice Drury
Jan 19, 2014 Beatrice Drury rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this. It was the third book I have read by this author.
When I first began it I thought it was very similar to Release which was a couple of years before this book. It began with a "kidnapping" of the woman for the man to protect and seduce. This book at least had a more interesting mystery angle than Release did.
Magnolia
Aug 03, 2009 Magnolia rated it it was ok
I liked "Wicked Burn" a lot, but this book was a huge disappointment. I have no problem with BDSM generally, so long as it's consensual, but in this book, it clearly was not. The "hero" was a psycho who deserved to be in jail. He kidnapped and assaulted the heroine, plain and simple. I give it two stars rather than one because Kery is a decent writer.
marlene
Aug 25, 2009 marlene rated it liked it
the plot in this story was, well, i dont even know what to call it. it was lacking that is for sure. some of it i didn't even follow and other parts made zero sense to me. the sex scenes were damn hot, but how we got to them generally made me cringe. i think i would have whacked shane over the head with a lamp and high tailed it as far away form the guy as possible.
Adriana
Sweet Restraint by Beth Kery

4 Stars-Very Good (I've seen this book cover for other stories)

This is one of my favorite books by Ms. Kery along with her book Release. It isn’t for the faint of heart or if you are looking for a light easy story. If you are looking for something darker and more intense than this is the book for you.
Veronica August
Jan 24, 2011 Veronica August rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!! My favorite part was when Shane when running one day while at the cabin. I thought at first I wouldn't finish this book, but once the kidnapping happened, I didn't want to put it down. Definate must read!
  • Dare to Surrender
  • No One But Madison
  • Beg Me
  • Wicked (Dungeon #3)
  • Into His Keeping
  • Jane and the Sneaky Dom
  • Sacred Secrets (Chronicles of Surrender, #1)
  • S&M 101
  • Owning Wednesday
  • Tie Me Down
  • Secret Ties
  • Pleasure's Edge (Edge, #1)
  • A Good Student (A Good Student, #1)
  • Kidnapped for Christmas
  • Tamed
  • Sinful Treats (Club Velvet Ice, #1)
  • Accidental Slave
  • Skin Deep
Beth Kery is the New York Times and USA Today best selling author of over thirty novels, novellas and serials. She writes contemporary romances as well as erotic contemporary romances, her hallmarks being emotional intensity, leap-off-the-page realistic characters and steamy sexual tension.
More about Beth Kery...