Start by marking “Shortcake” as Want to Read:
Shortcake

Shortcake

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Many years ago, a young boy prophesized that one day, a great power would emerge from the mysterious woods known as Soul Wind Forest. It would descend upon the neighboring city of Eden in an event called The Falling of the Tides and, on that day, few would survive.

Now, that prophecy is on the verge of coming true, as two children bred from science become engulfed in a psyc
Published January 3rd 2012 by Self Published

To ask other readers questions about Shortcake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shortcake

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Ruby Brooch by Katherine Lowry LoganThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
Books That Touched My Heart
159th out of 567 books — 404 voters
Incarnate by Jodi MeadowsA Million Suns by Beth RevisEverneath by Brodi AshtonInsurgent by Veronica RothThe Selection by Kiera Cass
Amazing YA Covers of 2012
416th out of 736 books — 2,324 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikki  Peterson
Mar 06, 2012 Nikki Peterson rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Thriller and Suspense Fans
Recommended to Nikki by: ARR via Making Connections Group
Looking for the perfect warrior, the government creates two children. One is Evan, and he was given the less affection of the two, making him a callous, merciless, and inhuman individual. The other of the two is Amanda, and she is raised with love and affection by one of the two doctors on the project. Dr. Madison finds out that Amanda is being given a concoction to make her more like Evan. He then gives her a compound to counteract the concotion and organizes an escape for her.

Frank Holmes is
Lauren
I picked this ebook up for free on Amazon several weeks back, and I'm glad I did. It was worth every penny of that price tag.

Overall, I found I enjoyed this book, however, it isn't without some criticism. I found the pacing to be slow and sometimes a little off in the first 2/3rds of the book. Once I hit the 3/4 mark, I found it engaging and very difficult to put down.

The writing style of the author was originally a little off-putting, it felt coarse and unpolished, and while it didn't change wi
Zuleeza
This review is also available on my blog, Qwerty

Too long...this book is unnecessarily too long! Why did the author have to torture his valuable readers with frilly and fluffy details that add nothing to the story? I found myself skipping a few paragraph here and there and I still did not feel that I missed anything important. I read this book on my Adobe Digital Editions and it eclipsed 700 pages! The annoying thing was the first 300 pages was so boring, I kept falling asleep after about 50 page
Peter Boysen
At times, I envy the Margaret Atwoods, George Orwells, and Jonathan Swifts of our literary profession. While cynicism is often so corrosive that it produces bitterness, the anger that it generates can lead to powerful writing that serves as a corrective for many of the ills of society. When Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal" delivered a rhetorical roundhouse to the British establishment, with its suggestion that the poor infants of the Irish be prepared for slaughter rather than be forced to e ...more
Wei Cho
What an amazing amazing book!

Even though I considered it long some times, two-thirds into the book and I was craving for more. I love the Evan-Amanda relationship. It was actually very funny when both of them united.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting it to be such a great novel when I started reading it. I desperately wanted to know how the characters will fare. I personally love when a book touches on science because I believe so many things can be created from there. This novel left a lasting impre
Mallory Heart Reviews
Jan 20, 2012 Mallory Heart Reviews rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: futuristic, thriller, YA, adult, mystery, crime sreader
Recommended to Mallory Heart by: Making Connections Group
“Captivating!” That is my one-word description of this book. Immediately I felt as if I had opened a hidden door concealed in an oak tree and walked right in, crossing to another land, one so similar to our reality, yet winningly different. My second thought was a reminder of Philip Reeve’s “The Hungry City Chronicles,” which also possess that subtle sense of otherworldliness and the same ability author Calvin demonstrates, to gently stroke his characters into creation. There is no need for cons ...more
Heather
This book was a good book though way too long. I thought the story could have been condensed. However, I did find it interesting - though hard to read at times because of the events happening in the story. I also fed so bad for the kids - being created and brought up the way that they did, you just wish someone would have shown more affection to the boy and everything could have been different.

I think people who light a little mystery and a little paranormal will enjoy this book. I am undecided
Kim
I liked this book but was very frustrated to find tons of spelling errors. That drives me crazy! It looks like there will be two follow up books and I will probably read them, but this book did not have the can't put it down feel, I had to force myself to finish it so that I could start a new one.
Joan
This is quite the thriller with a number of story lines that come together in the end. Some of it is science fiction, some murder mystery. A good read
Amanda Moore
Amanda Moore marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Skyler
Skyler marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Lisa Lamere-krzysiak
Lisa Lamere-krzysiak marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2013
Iroulito91
Iroulito91 marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Sami J
Sami J marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2012
HaileyHime
HaileyHime marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2012
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2012
Cat Kim
Cat Kim marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2012
Louise Green
Louise Green marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2012
ceeeeg
ceeeeg marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2012
Christopher Gorham Calvin (1982-present) was born in New Orleans, Louisiana. He is an avid reader of books, watcher of movies, and player of video games. He also loves to cook and enjoys eating out.

By day, Christopher is a Certified Public Account and Certified Internal Auditor. In 2012, he left public accounting in New York City to work toward his Doctorate in Accounting at Duke University.

By nig
More about Christopher Gorham Calvin...