Start by marking “The Kissing Gates” as Want to Read:
The Kissing Gates

The Kissing Gates

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Christmas Day, 1914. A truce is called in the fighting & a German officer called Wilhelm befriends a British soldier, Hal, and gives him a message to pass to his English lover, Sally, who is waiting for news in Stratford. When Hal is injured and sent back to Britain, he visits Sally. But when he sees her, he falls instantly in love.
Published December 1st 2008 by Sphere (first published October 30th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Kissing Gates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kissing Gates

Tea Jovanović
Divna priča o sudbinama jednog Engleza i jednog Nemca koji su voleli istu ženu i čije su se sudbine ispreplitale tokom Prvog svetskog rata... Paa, recimo za one koji vole Viktoriju Hislop...
Blair
While I did enjoy this, I found it difficult to feel truly involved in the story. It appeared that the central conceit - the idea of Hal's encounter with Wilhelm and the subsequent development of his relationship with Sam - had been thought of first, and the rest simply created to fit around it. I never really bought the idea of Hal falling instantly and deeply in love with Sam; it seemed more like he just lusted after her, and half-heartedly at that. I grew more fond of the characters as the pl ...more
Carole

This is, in essence, a love story but with a huge secret at the heart of it.

Hal, the protagonist, is fighting in the trenches in World War 1, when a Christmas truce happens. He, hesitantly, climbs into No Mans Land and meets Wilhelm his counterpart in the German Army. They exchange gifts and Wilhelm gives Hal a picture of himself and asks him to give it to his English girlfriend, Sam, who he met and fell in love with in England before the War started. Hal agrees to do this for him.

Shortly after,
Laura Flanagan (Oscuro y Seductor Romance)
Es una novela ambientada en los años de la Gran Guerra, ó I Guerra Mundial (1914-1918), donde las hostilidades involucraron a 32 países, 28 de ellos denominados «Aliados»: Francia, el Reino Unido, Imperio Ruso, Serbia, Bélgica, Canadá, Portugal, Japón, Estados Unidos (desde 1917), así como Italia. Este grupo se enfrentó a la coalición de las «Potencias Centrales», integrada por los imperios Austrohúngaro, Alemán y Otomano, acompañados por Bulgaria.

La historia comienza de forma sencilla, en Navid
Kirsten
I actually really enjoyed this book. It is well written and not frilly in its language, and the narrator's voice is very engaging.
My only criticisms as such would be that Hal (the narrator) seems to be suspiciously modern in his outlook - despite it being set during WWI, he seems rather unfazed by an unmarried mother (his lover has a child by another man), unmarried people having sexual relationships, or lesbianism, much less so than you'd expect from a person born during the reign of Queen Vic
Kayleigh
Not just your every day love story. The tale begins with two soldiers, one German, one English who meet at the Christmas Day truce. They both part with a promise between them, one which the English Soldier must do if he survives the war and makes it back home. Filled with twists and turns this book becomes very memorable and almost impossible to put down!
Lara
It took me a little while to get into this book, but once I did (about a third of the way in) I was hooked. I loved the characters, and I particularly found the intelligence side of the story interesting. However, I found the ending very very disappointing, particluarly not knowing Sam's response to finding out the truth.
Jen
It took me two attempts to get into it, but the second attempt went well - I got through it in one sitting. There were some areas of historical inaccuracy that slightly niggled, but the story was compelling and I found it easy to sympathise with the characters.
Lisa
Very good book, great story and interesting situations on which to ponder on moral points and such like but.....not impressed with the end; not the way I wanted it to go! :(
Georgina Mason
This was one of the fantastic teenage reads that has staid with me since. Not especially well written but great if not bittersweet story.
Kirsteen
Not much to say ther than I have recommended this many times and also given several copies away as gifts....fabulous relaxing read!
Carrie
Found it pretty dull, while I was getting bored I made the mistake of reading the last few pages. Then its was even more boring!
Alison
Very much enjoyed this tale set during the First World War. It was fast moving and the characters were fascinating!

Susan
I really enjoyed this book. I can only describe is a wartime novel but "different"
kerry
Loved this book, very interesting and well written.Sad too
Shelley
Brilliant!
Kem
Jul 19, 2011 Kem marked it as to-read
Amal
Amal marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Sarah Sykes
Sarah Sykes marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Sammi
Sammi marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Brittany Burnett
Brittany Burnett marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
A
A marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Mayrose Alegre
Mayrose Alegre marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Wendy
Wendy added it
Jul 17, 2014
Ildikó Szendrői
Ildikó Szendrői marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The kissing Gate 1 1 Mar 15, 2010 04:57AM
Gifts of War The Clouds Beneath the Sun: A Novel The Clouds Beneath the Sun Flowers in Winter: Is Blood Really Thicker Than Water?