Start by marking “Tangled Webs (The Black Jewels, #6)” as Want to Read:
Tangled Webs (The Black Jewels, #6)

Tangled Webs (The Black Jewels #6)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  8,642 ratings  ·  233 reviews
The invitation is signed "Jaenelle Angelline," and it summons her family to a special soire. But when her guests enter the house, they find themselves trapped in a living nightmare created by the Black Widow witches and if they try to use Craft as protection, they risk being sealed in the house forever.

But Jaenelle did not send the invitation. And now she and the rest of
Published April 1st 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers (Australia) Pty Ltd (first published March 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Tangled Webs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tangled Webs

Ashley
May 01, 2008 Ashley rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Black Jewels Trilogy
Shelves: fantasy, not-my-copy
This book is a kind-of-but-not-really sequel to the trilogy in that it takes place after it, and I don't recommend reading it unless you've read the Black Jewels Trilogy. Obviously, it's not set on such an epic scale. The "plot" itself sounds rather silly: Surreal and her escort get trapped in a deadly(!) "spooky house" that was set up by a pompous writer who wants to get revenge on the SaDiablo family, and so, of course, Daemon and Lucivar have to do their "Evil Twin* Powers! Activate!" routine ...more
Dangermousie
This book will likely make little sense to anyone who hasn't read and loved the Black Jewels Trilogy but to someone, like me, who was obsessed with those books, this is a delicious treat.

Tbh, I view all the books Bishop wrote in the Jewels world after the Trilogy ended as the best kind of fanfiction - glimpses into the life of characters I feel too attached to part with even if I pick and choose what to insert into 'my' canon.

The plot is kinda slim - Surreal gets menaced by a creepy homicidal h
Yui
Unlike the previous books this one doesn't have a complicated plot. It was actually quite silly and very used. Some crazy man thinks too much of himself and his arrogance and sense of self superiority lead him to take unreasonable revenge to the most powerful family in all realm. If you've read the first trilogy (not necessary to enjoy this particular book) you'll actually sympathize with the villain since it's painfully obvious what would happen to him once his own game caught up with him. I ne ...more
valee
I actually read this book thinking it was the 5th book in the series. I guess the fact that I never realized I had skipped a book without noticing, even after I was done, says a lot...THIS BOOK WAS REALLY BAD. While I adored the original trilogy, I felt like I wanted to tear every single page off. The plot was terrible, exactly like a Jigsaw movie but for all audiences, really depressing. No content at all, everything was terribly shallow and superficial. I just didn't care for anything that was ...more
Jessica
Anything after The Black Jewels trilogy will seem completely inconsequential in comparison. After all, what's left to do after you've already killed all the bad guys and saved the world? This book serves as a sharp reminder that even though all the bad guys are gone, that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't still problems in society, ie. neglected orphans, subpar schools, random psycho weirdos.

The plot here was subpar, I felt. There's a line from Surreal in the beginning of the book:

She clappe
Karina
Anne Bishop's skill with words rivals her characters' skill with magic: she weaves beautifully compelling characters and stories that enchant the mind and leave you wanting more.

And as those of you who have read my other reviews know, I rarely rave this much about an author, but Anne Bishop is my favorite by far.

When I happened upon book one of the Black Jewels trilogy, which Tangled Webs is sort of a sequel to, I could not put it down, ran out to buy the next two the very next day, and read eve
Amanda
Michelle
Bishop tells us right up front in this book that "the big battle has been won, the big tale has been told," and that this is just a day-in-the-life-of sort of story. which is to say 2 very obvious things: 1)don't start here, 2)it's nowhere near as good as the books that *did* tell the big story.

but you knew that, thanks to the handy disclaimer up front. you don't particularly mind though (those of us who loved those previous entries, anyway), since Bishop is absolutely *killer* at characterizat
Kara-karina
Wow, this was different! Surreal and Rainier were the main characters of the book but Daemon, Lucivar and Jaenelle weren't left far behind. This book is a perfect Halloween read, peeps! It involves an evil house designed to trap and kill SaDiablo family and their very gory struggle to stay alive and destroy this house. Chilly, scary and very intense, this was a fantastic read!
Miss Ginny Tea
Blah. Surreal as a damsel in distress struggling to survive until The Men can come rescue her. Blah. Sure, she's stronger than the man with her, but he's gay, so it doesn't count. I'm all for exploring the awesome relationship between Saetan, Daemon, and Lucivar, but to kill 20 women and children to set up the premise and then recast Surreal as a (damaged) damsel in distress just sucks.

Gee, I wonder if Bishop's working on a book in which Surreal meets a strong warlord who thinks her past is awes
Tom
Even though it wasn't the most intense book of the series I still really liked it! I started this in September and got side tracked. I wish I would have finished it then because this is a great Halloween read and would be a great time to pimp this book to lovers of the series. Janelle and Marian want to start a haunted house and things start going reallly wrong. It was more like a social visit to the world for most of the book until Lucivar stepped up to show who was boss and then the intensity ...more
Cornelia
Heather
This book had an extremely different feel to it than the rest of the Black Jewels books have had. It reads like the literary equivalent of the ‘special Halloween episode’. That gave it the feel of an interlude episode, and perhaps contributed to the lack of deep emotional connection. That shows how deep and emotional the other books get, because this isn’t exactly light reading. There are children in danger, and Bishop doesn’t spare children from the darkness of her tales.

The room-to-room search
Kaci
What a spectacular visit back to the world of the black jewels! Ms. Bishop's best work is without a doubt her Black Jewels series and this long await return does not disappoint.

Trapped in a web of danger created by Jarvis Jenkell, Surreal and Rainier try to escape, while guarding the children, they unknowingly brought into the web with them.

Forced to work from outside the web to rescue Surreal and Rainier, Lucifier, Daemon, and Janelle race against a mad man to save them.
Christina
Took me nearly 4 weeks to read this. It was interesting, but I couldn't help thinking the characters were a little OOC and that put me off. But I did enjoy it, at times it even sort of creeped me out :) Definitely not in league with the Black Jewels trilogy though.
Mary
More dark fantasy from Anne Bishop. I love the Black Jewels set. The main plot is about Surreal and Rainier trapped in a spooky house layered with Black Widow spells and dangerous killers. Jarvis Jenkell is a writer who set the whole thing up as a trap for Surreal, Daemon and Lucivar.

My favorite parts of the book are little glimpses into favorite characters from previous books. Daemon and Janelle at home. Lucivar and Marion at home. Lucivar with Deamonar his son. And Daemon and Lucivar interact
Ubiquitousbastard

Okay, maybe it's nostalgia, but I found this book highly readable despite its obvious faults. It was an easy read, comfortable in a way, and just...I don't know...it jives with the younger, more innocent me.
Lisa
This was a ton of fun and is an example of a book doing a great job of being itself to perfection - it didn't wander off in strange directions and really embraced the fun and creepiness of the haunted/spooky house.

Best read after the main Black Jewels trilogy and more a fun side story/revisiting of beloved characters than a major plot builder. But when done well, I really love books like that - Bishop gets to play around a bit and be really creative and bit silly without worrying too much about
Cayleigh
This isn't one of my top books for the Black Jewel Series, but it's rating got bumped up from 3 to a 4 star because the last 1/4 of the book has a lot of Lucivar Yaslana and Tersa. They are my favorites in this series.

Sadi is one of my other favorites and I feel he and Jaenelle get a bit pigeon-holed in one-dimension in these other books. I prefer them in the first three. Still, great series if you've never read the Black Jewel Series Daughter of the Blood, Heir to Shadows, Queen of the Darknes
Erin
Wow. :x I got like 1/3 of the way through this over the course of a week or so, and then finish the remaining 2/3 in a day. This book had a really slow build, but once the ball started to roll, it didn't stop until the last page. Loved it! :) Some of the characters felt new to me, but I think they were just characters from the original trilogy that I (sadly) didn't remember, since they weren't part of the main cast. But I loved them. :)

My only gripe (aside from the slow pacing in the beginning)
Adam Smith
Janelle Angeline is building a spooky house. When Surreal receives a summons to come view the house, she has no choice but to comply, but it soon becomes clear that things are not as they appear. Someone is gunning for the members of the SaDiablo family and Surreal has just walked her way into a trap.

A full length novel set after the events of the Black Jewel trilogy. This book is focused more directly on Surreal with the core members of the SaDiablo family taking a less direct role in the story
Helen Corcoran
Anne's Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy remains one of my fondest teen discoveries, despite the inherent flaws in the books. The spines are cracked, the covers worn--I often open one of the book at a random spot and start reading from there to the end. They're three of my comfort reads. I enjoyed The Invisible Ring a lot, and eagerly awaited the news books set in the same 'verse.

It went downhill from there, sadly. Bishop's new works set in the BJ universe clearly show how quickly she's had to write
LKM
This book was such a fun read!!

It contains most of the usual characters from the The Black Jewels Trilogy: Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Queen of the Darkness, and they're all being their usual fun-cool selves.

The story itself is more of 'a day in the life of' and the little troubles they encounter more than a big book with a big problem... but it's a lovely book nonetheless

If you already know/are familiar with (and love) the characters, and are familiar with the story as well, I'
Carien
This is the first book by Anne Bishop that I read after reading her short story 'Stands a God Within the Shadows' which I absolutely love!

I soon discovered this book is part of a series (The Black Jewels series) and it's not the first book in the series. And let me tell you: if you're going to read any book in the Black Jewels series I can advice you to start with the first book and work your way through the books in the right order. I'm telling you this as I reread this book after reading the o
Hobbes
After hearing how the non-blood of the races think the Blood live Jaenelle decides to make a spooky house for some fun and scares. Her family is horrified that Jaenelle could make light of their lives and display a grotesque parody of what the landens think, and fear, the Blood are like. But she wears them down, after all, it is all in good fun. Except some one is playing for real. Landry Langston was a landen writer who is liked in both landen and Blood communities. As his popularity amongst th ...more
zjakkelien
I'm a bit disappointed. As much as I like the characters of the black jewel universe, in this book that just wasn't enough. In all honesty, the story was sort of lame. We have the three most powerful people in the realm, and they almost get defeated by a weasel. Really, the bad guy is a coward who is only just Blood. And the whole of it gets done in a spooky house. Which was not really interesting, it is a stupid setting to begin with, and after the first few (view spoiler) ...more
Nanu
While i absolutely LOVE Bishop's Black Jewels series, Tangled Webs is definitely not one of the books I enjoy the most. I bought it on discount, just to complete my collection, and may have re-read it once...

Bishop created an amazing world full of interesting realms, cultures, creatures and people, that a sequel about a spooky house seems to be a let down from the possibilities that have been created for us.

While I understand "the story has been told" and anything now would be people rebuilding
Jen
I am loving it so far.
It may not be as intense and emotionally-involving as Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy, but the gang's all here! the sentiment is the same! No odd deviations from what we expect in a sequel to one of our favorites!

I wish men treated me like that...

ETA:

Finished it this afternoon.
Could not put it down.

While not as involved, emotionally torturous and bonding as BJT, it still commands one's rapt attention, start to finish.
It also does not disappoint.

I think I even managed to sc
mlady_rebecca
Not my normal review format. Pulling the LJ entry I made for this, long before I joined Goodreads.

I finished Anne Bishop's "Tangled Webs" last night. So now I'm all caught up on that series. Good book, although not as exciting as the rest of the series. But hey, she warned us.

Dear Readers,

In the Realms of the Blood, the war has been fought, the battle has been won, and the epic tale has been told. But life goes on, so there are other challenges to face, smaller battles to be fought, and other s
Artemisa
I love Daemon Sadi. I have a real crush on this character, and every time the other characters talk about the Sadist it scares the hibby jibbys of me.

This is the perfect time to read this book. The premiss of the book is that Jaenelle is setting up a "scary house" as fall entretainment.
Then someone highjacks the idea and Surreal and Rainier get struck inside a trap.
The ideia isn't new, and the book isn't even much of a mystery, we know who is behind the trap almost since the beginning, because w
Anne Bishop: Help! 4 17 Mar 14, 2012 07:07AM
  • Kushiel's Justice (Imriel's Trilogy, #2)
  • The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3)
  • A Última Feiticeira (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #1)
  • Cast In Secret (Chronicles of Elantra #3)
  • A Senhora da Magia (As Brumas de Avalon, #1)
  • King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3)
  • Sea of Sorrows (The Sun Sword, #4)
Anne Bishop lives in upstate New York where she enjoys gardening, music, and writing dark, romantic stories. She is the author of fourteen novels, including the award-winning Black Jewels Trilogy. Her most recent novel,Twilight’s Dawn, made the New York Times bestsellers list. She is currently working on a new series, which is an urban dark fantasy with a bit of a twist.

Crawford Award (2000)

Librar
More about Anne Bishop...

The Black Jewels (9 books)
  • Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels #1)
  • Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2)
  • Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #3)
  • The Invisible Ring (The Black Jewels, #4)
  • Dreams Made Flesh (The Black Jewels, #5)
  • The Shadow Queen (The Black Jewels, #7)
  • Shalador's Lady (The Black Jewels, #8)
  • Twilight's Dawn (The Black Jewels, #9)
Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels #1) Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #3) Written in Red (The Others, #1) Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2) Murder of Crows (The Others, #2)

“I walked down to the village with five Sceltie puppies. I came back to the Hall with four.”
“And the fifth ?”
“By now, I’m sure Sylvia has convinced the little bitch to let go of Mikal’s trousers. And Mrs Beale promised to send her recipe for puppy biscuits to Sylvia’s cook.”
“Mrs Beale agreed to share a recipe,” Saetan said slowly.
“Mrs Beale agreed that I could pay for... I’m not sure what it is except that it’s something she wanted for the kitchen but couldn’t justify as a normal household expense.”
“And you agreed to fund this in exchange for a recipe ?”
Daemon stared at his father for a long moment before he muttered, “She sharpened the meat cleaver before coming to talk to me.”
One beat of silence. Two. Then Saetan burst out laughing.”
4 likes
“She looked at him. Then she looked at the table stacked with books. Her lips curved in a wicked smile. “If you want us to keep pretending that you’re sorting old books whenever we come by to chat, you shouldn’t slam them on the table. We all know you wouldn’t do that to a book that was truly ancient and fragile.”
He closed his eyes and promised himself that he would not whimper. “You all know ?”
“Well, I don’t think any of the boyos have figured it out, but all of the coven knows.”
May the Darkness have mercy on me.
“Come on, Papa. Let’s go bwaa ha ha.”
4 likes