Start by marking “The Everything Book” as Want to Read:
The Everything Book

The Everything Book

kidsAptly named, The Everything Book is a hodgepodge of early learner words, numbers, poems, and concepts. But, without a doubt, the gorgeous illustrations are the real star of the show, created by Denise Fleming by pouring colored cotton fiber through hand-cut stencils. Readers and art appreciators of all ages will want to surround themselves with the delicious, ripe colo ...more
Published September 15th 2000 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Everything Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Everything Book

Amanda
Oct 18, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
Surprisingly (or not so surprisingly I guess) a favorite of my 2 1/2 y/o. There are cute poems and rhymes on most pages, identifying objects that relate to a theme on others and counting on still others. What's not to like? The art is good (if not quite as interesting as Barnyard Banter). Not one that we'd need to own, but will get lots of reads during our 3 weeks loan from the library.
Michael
This isn't the most thematically consistent book on the shelf, but I really like the diversity of babies, rhymes, and educational bits. There is even a find-the-ladybug challenge at the end. And surprisingly gender-free pronoun-wise.
Marisa Ewing
Mar 02, 2017 Marisa Ewing rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is, practically, the book of everything that children experience and encounter throughout their lives.

This book is so fun and colorful, I liked the bright colors, the use of anonymous quotes and simple phrases.

This book would be great for language therapy. You could use it to increase vocabulary, target 2-3 word phrases, confrontational naming, facial expressions, and so much more!
Amy Keltner
1. Mother Goose
2. A terrific book to help all beginning learners how to count, rhyme, learn colors and well basically everything. With its bright vibrant colors all will be intrigued to re-read this book over and over again.
3.a: The biggest element of the book was the organization of the book.
b: It didn't overwhelm the reader with too much information or concepts at once. It provided pictures and other elements to engage in learning suitable for the child.
c: Not overwhelming the child is key
Meagan Martin
Sep 21, 2009 Meagan Martin rated it liked it
This book doesn’t have a specific storyline. It is a board book with different themes on each page and pictures/labels that belong under those themes. Example: There is a “mealtime” page with a picture of a baby eating different items and each item is labeled. The title and the front cover of this book is what first grabbed my attention. The colors are bright and the illustrations are wonderful! Since there is not a storyline, you could have your toddler come up with his/her own story as you rea ...more
Heather
Sep 22, 2010 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: from-library
24 months - this is a real mish-mash of a book. Big and colorful illustrations but it's lacking a cohesive theme. Poems intermixed with labelled pictures. I actually enjoyed a few of the poems and we used the food page to talk and sign the foods in French. We mighty give it another read or two but I think we're mostly beyond this one,
Cara Stone
Great mix of early reader with a few adult-read passages thrown in. Excellent for teaching sight words or transitioning to sight words. Colorful and detailed illustrations (cotton fiber through stencils), ladybug counting index at back.
Daphne
This is such a great book! It really does have everything - everything to keep a young child thoroughly entertained. Letters, numbers, poetry, beautiful illustrations, lots of basic information about a young child's world. Beautiful - would make a perfect gift!
Jenny Brown
Aug 09, 2009 Jenny Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This exuberant, colorful board book introduces animals and plants, numbers, colors and ABCs, body parts, seasons, and days of the week to your eager youngsters.

Full review:
Jenn S
Jun 11, 2010 Jenn S rated it it was ok
Shelves: toddler
Drawings almost too abstract, and the stories are all over the place I lose my toddler pretty quickly.
Nicki
Mar 03, 2016 Nicki rated it it was ok
good for basic concepts, cute poems in between
Ann
Nov 01, 2013 Ann rated it it was amazing
50 Books to Read to Your Baby(2013 Meade Co.)
Savannah
Aug 24, 2013 Savannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childrens
Loved that this book had a bit of everything in it.
Shelley
Jan 12, 2015 Shelley rated it it was ok
Shelves: age-2
its just crammed with info by topics for little kids. I did like poems in it, but otherwise it felt like a conveyor belt method of learning.
Brandi
Jan 22, 2014 Brandi rated it liked it
Not just colors. Not just shapes. Not just numbers, animals, or food. All of this plus nursery rhymes are in this appropriately named book for babies and toddlers.
Anaeka
Was okay at 10 months. I like the traffic poem and chicken poem.
Audra
Jan 11, 2012 Audra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: little-girls
It's as good as they say. A wonderful vehicle for discussion with your little one.
Maren Prestegaard
Jul 02, 2014 Maren Prestegaard rated it really liked it
Maybe.
Rebecca
Nov 21, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Great for toddlers. Names lots of familiar items.
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2017
Tiffany Abston
Tiffany Abston rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2013
C.E.
C.E. rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2010
Katherine Salinas
Katherine Salinas rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2014
Tammy Gable-walsh
Tammy Gable-walsh rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2014
Ashleyd
Ashleyd rated it it was ok
May 10, 2015
Gail Nye
Gail Nye rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2014
Mollywainio
Mollywainio rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2010
Elke Erickson
Elke Erickson rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2012
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2010
Dylan Teut
Dylan Teut rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2015
  • Sylvia Long's Mother Goose
  • Clay Boy
  • White on Black
  • Ben's Dream
  • How Do Dinosaurs Learn Their Colors?
  • The Flea's Sneeze
  • The Silver Pony
  • Peach and Blue
  • Fuzzy Fuzzy Fuzzy!: a touch, skritch, & tickle book
  • Shhhhh! Everybody's Sleeping
Denise Fleming has written and illustrated many children’s picture books, including In the Tall, Tall Grass, Shout! Shout It Out!, and Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy. She won a Caldecott Honor for In the Small, Small Pond. Denise creates her colorful illustrations by pouring colored paper pulp through hand-cut stencils. She lives in Toledo, Ohio.

More about Denise Fleming...