Start by marking “Cruising” as Want to Read:
Cruising

Cruising

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Published January 28th 1970 by Stein and Day (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Cruising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cruising

Mark
Was reading about James Franco's new film Interior. Leather Bar. and it's connection to the Al Pacino film Cruising (which was based on this novel) and I remembered that I had never read it and that I had a copy somewhere in my Attic... so after an hour of searching I started reading...
Homophobic, racist and misogynist - as I'm sure most genre fiction in 1970 was... it's VERY dated but the writing was good. Walker's portrait of pre-gentrification NYC was probably the strongest element of the bo
Thomas Matich
Like the film proceeding it, "Crusing" the novel is misunderstood. I found it to be a witty, sinister and compelling read. While the S&M leather element is gone from the book, the mystery and chills found in the Freidkin film are intact.

In regards to the hatefulness and homophobia in this book -- it is accurate for both the time period (thankfully things have come a long way) and the psychology of two sociopaths. It really leaves a reflective and open-minded reader with much to think about.

T
Rob
I don't say this often about books: This one really needed to be about 50 to 75 pages longer. Some parts were developed rather well, while others, not as much. When I finished the book, I did get why the author did this, but, I think he missed the mark a bit. This could have been great, but ended up so-so. Definitely some frightening scenes, but, really needed a good editor.

To everyone going on about the high number of gay slurs . . . it was a book written in 1972 about a homophobic cop acting
Bridget
Jan 25, 2015 Bridget rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you that you skip the book and watch the film
This is another in the growing longer list where the film adaptation was way better than the source material.
If you want a snapshot of how racism and homophobia in the 1970's in a fairly ho hum cops and killers story, this book is for you. Don't expect anything like the gay S&M scene, the bars, the sense of outlaw that permeates the iconic film "inspired" by this book.
Mark Renner
Hot garbage that went on to inspire the movie that a critic for Christopher Street magazine deemed the most homophobic of all time.
Evan
Aug 30, 2009 Evan marked it as to-read
Lurid, sleazy and apparently homophobic. The famous movie with Al Pacino released 10 years after this 1970 novel evidently bears only cursory resemblance, although Vito Russo criticizes both in "The Celluloid Closet." Nonetheless, a little violent sleaze once in awhile is part of my complete breakfast.
David
The book dates itself, and is a snapshot into a bygone era. As a thriller or suspense piece of literature it is lacking. The Al Pacino film based on this book is a completely different animal. Do not read the book to see if the movie left out anything.
Susan
Loved the movie more than this book. But still an interesting read
REDD
REDD is currently reading it
Mar 26, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Adrian
Adrian marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Steve Samilton
Steve Samilton marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Niki
Niki marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Darleth
Darleth marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Angusmcmaster
Angusmcmaster marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Thomas Elliott
Thomas Elliott marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Sir Michael Röhm
Sir Michael Röhm marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Macartney
Macartney marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Kylan
Kylan marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Myles
Myles marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I Wish Raisins Could Float Best Magazine Articles 1966 An Invaded Countryside: Structures Of Life On The Toronto Fringe (Geographical Monographs, Vol. 17)