Start by marking “Portrait of a Kiss (Southern Beaus #1)” as Want to Read:
Portrait of a Kiss (Southern Beaus #1)

Portrait of a Kiss (Southern Beaus #1)

The painting's compelling blue eyes fascinate former police detective David Schaeffer. Those beautiful eyes, that gorgeous face, couldn't possibly belong to a killer. But according to all the evidence in this small, sleepy river town in Alabama, that’s exactly who the man in the portrait is...or was...

David never expects his inherited mansion to come with its very own gho
Published 2008 by Amber Quill Press

To ask other readers questions about Portrait of a Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portrait of a Kiss

JenMcJ
This was not my favorite from TD McKinney. The beginning of the relationship was just way too rushed. I never really felt connected to the two.

Also, for some reason, in my brain, Brian and David are similiar names and I kept having to remember which was which. David was the living hero, Brian was the ghost...or was it the other way around? No, Brian was the ghost. I had to do that too many times through the book.

I knew who the real killer was even before I knew what the crime was.

The grief wa
Charly
Oct 28, 2012 Charly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The romantic element moved way too quickly for me

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 6/10

PROS:
- I found the premise fascinating. It combines two intriguing ideas: a living person falling for a ghost, and a contemporary person falling for someone who lived (and functions as though he STILL lives) in the 1950s. Many of Brian’s ‘50s-influenced observations of contemporary society are amusing.
- There are times when Brian’s memories become visible to David
Elisa Rolle
Portrait of a Kiss is a classical ghost comedy story.

Always when a young man kills himself for being framed, you has to expect that his ghost haunts the home. Even more when the stunning painting of that young man hangs in the master bedroom, and that wonderful blue eyes seem so alive. David inherits his aunt's mansion with ghost attached; a lot of people in town has heard stories about the ghost, but only who lived in the house had a chance to see him. Actually they didn't see him, but only the
Amanda
This was probably the cheesiest insta-love book I have ever read.
Anita
May 26, 2011 Anita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghost-paranormal
Just finished Portrait Of A Kiss. It's a really good ghost story (though this ghost is a bit more corporeal than your usual ghosts) with a twist. It seems love and happiness (which he had very little of in life) makes the ghost visible to others. I found it to be a very sweet love story but also an interesting murder mystery. You do need to suspend belief a little bit but with it being a ghost story that's not hard to do. I really liked the character of Brian Terhune. He was a lovely ghost even ...more
Shawn
When this was picked for me for the challenge..I was intrigued. I had read about it. I was a little iffy about it though when I went to read it.I mean gay ghosts? Meh. Maybe cool.
I started. Read Chapter one. Put it down and didn't pick it back up til today. Thank GOD I picked it back up.
This book maybe a short one, but it is one of the best written stories I've read in ages.It didn't need to be longer. The character development, the world, the plot, the action, the romance were all so well balan
Tamela
Another fantastic read from T.D. McKinney. I just finished Kissing Sherlock Holmes and had to get some more from T.D. to see if they would be as good. I can't believe it. Almost BETTER, a close tie I think. The ghost that became a town mascot. What a wonderful story. 50 year old murder, a haunted house, a new beginning and true love. What more can a story ask for. Loved this one enough to put it in "my-6-stars-favs" shelf. I hope there are many more from this author!!!

1st read - Oct 31, 2011
2nd
Rachel
I was given this as a recommendation to read after I read Winter Oranges from Marie Sexton since I enjoyed that one so much. This was sweet, and I liked aspects of it, but it fell a bit short for me. I think the two MCs got together WAY too quickly, and I agree with a few others who said it was a bit hard at times to remember who was the ghost and who was the alive person. It was sweet, and I also liked the mystery aspect of it. I also liked the whole feeling of family and friends through this.
Meggie
If you believe in "love at first sight" and in a good plotted fiction, then this is the right story for you! I was simply in love with this couple from the start. Sure, it's a bit unique romantic story, but I liked it nonetheless. There so many comical situations, I really laughed a lot. The emotions were so real, I could feel joy, happiness and sadness. It was perfectly balanced. It was like watching a movie.
I highly recommend it story!
Kathleen
Nov 28, 2011 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I enjoyed this story. I was little wary of a the whole insta-love thing and sometimes they were a little loquacious during sex BUT I really liked the characters and the mystery was fun. There were also some really awesome side characters. 3.5 stars rounded up to 4 for goodreads.
Jerry
Dec 28, 2010 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a hard one for me to wrap my mind around the concept of a "solid" ghost. Nice story, some parts more believable than others.
Noelle Dixon
Blackheart
Mar 30, 2011 Blackheart rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Hmmm... this story definitely had the potential to be a decent read, with the mystery and all this 'back in time' thing, but overall it's simply lacking. I didn't like the characters. at all. well, maybe David was ok (at times). Here are some things that made my nose wrinkle and put my teeth on edge while reading:
1. David - a cop retired at 38? seriously? i don't believe that. love at first sight? Yes. With a portrait? C'mon....
2. Brian - 50 years of roaming the halls and scaring people and neve
LutaWolf
I loved this book. Adorably cute with what I thought was a really good plot. Perhapes you do figure out early who has done what but getting there was fun. I also feel as a Southern Bell that lives only thirty minutes outside of where the book is located that I should defend Lorretta. You'll notice in the book that she did not hit on David as hard until she realized he was taken. Once she knew that they were two taken gay men it was more about being brash and having fun. If she'd said what she'd ...more
Mandi
Good ghost story. I enjoyed the investigation parts and the secondary characters (though I had to keep reminding myself most of them were old men/woman). The ending was a great HEA with and unexpected twist.

I did think the hero's got together a bit too fast (I would of loved to see more of Brian haunting a clueless David). And I also had issues with the names (I kept forgetting which was the ghost and which was the cop). Plus, some of the sweet talk was a bit too much at times. (but that's just
Kavisha
Aug 18, 2012 Kavisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!
I really enjoyed reading this book. The ghost was unlike any other ghost I have ever encountered in a book, so I really enjoyed the new perspective of a ghost. Nice mystery too. Though Denis was the obvious suspect to the murders and I kept hoping that maybe it wont be the obvious guy, I wasn't too disappointing when it was proven that he was the real murderer.

I just really enjoyed reading it!
Susan
Dec 26, 2012 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-read, z-2012
This was a good ghost story/ mystery story. When David inherits a house, he also inherits the ghost within. Brian has been dead for over 50 years and at the time of his death he was accused of some hideous crimes. David and Brian's relationship got very intense a little too quickly for me but that aside, I did enjoy watching David fight to clear his lover's name.
Gwendolyn
I've had this book forever but I just today got around to reading it because I pick dup another book in the series and realized they were related.

It was good in an ooey gooey true love way. Slight mystery but easy enough to get through. I'm married to a small town southerner so these bayou kinda things always get an extra boost in my opinion too.
FloJ
A ghost story. Completely implausible, but a good read with a mystery and of course 2 hunks. A good way of illustrating how times have changed with regard to the gay community in the US.

RJ
Honestly one of the best books I have ever read, and one of the only to actually make me cry! Absolutely amazing amazing book. A new favorite for me :)
Brodie
Jul 06, 2012 Brodie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book I can't possibly explain how much sure the mystery is perhaps a bit easy to figure out but the story more than makes up for it.
CB
Sep 09, 2013 CB rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting ghost / murder mystery / romance. Entertaining, humorous and different. The first in a 4 book series (so far).
Cade
Dec 23, 2013 Cade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the great ghost/mm romance story Ive read over the years.
Marwa saeed
Jan 10, 2011 Marwa saeed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had me laughing hysterically,crying like there's no tomorrow and delaying my school work :p
Bookbee
3.5 Stars

Parts of this book worked really well for me and other parts...not so much.
Fatuma
May 05, 2012 Fatuma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay-romance
Cute ghost story. Liked the characters enough. Overall, enjoyable read, nothing special though.
Lee
Jun 05, 2014 Lee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two & a half Stars - Flimsy premiss, poor and transparent execution of the plot.
D'wildfire
Dec 25, 2012 D'wildfire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It was so whimsical and appealed to every girly fantasy of a HEA!
Olwes
May 15, 2011 Olwes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I like the story, but the writing gets a bit schmoopy at times.
Lily
Entertaining "insta-love" ghost story with a sweet HEA.
  • Liquid Glass
  • Eye Spy (Eye Spy, #1)
  • Windows in Time
  • Touching Evil
  • Objects in the Rearview Mirror (Memoirs of the Human Wraiths #2)
  • The Secret of Talmor Manor
  • Pale as a Ghost (Duncan Andrews Thrillers, #1)
  • The Hanged Man's Ghost (The Night Wars, #1)
  • Falling
  • Healing Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #2)
  • A Deadly Game (A Nick Fallon Investigation, #1)
  • Laying a Ghost (Laying a Ghost, #1)
  • Twilight (Bay City Paranormal Investigations, #3)
  • On Wings, Rising (Encounters, #1)
  • His Name Is John (Elliott Smith #1)
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
  • Paul's Dream (Touching Fire, #1)
  • Lessons in Discovery (Cambridge Fellows, #3)
T. D. McKinney was born with eclectic tastes. Author, artist, web designer - those tastes show in the careers she's chosen.

Growing up on the American Gulf Coast, she gained a great appreciation for all things Southern and a fascination with what the community around her termed the War of Northern Aggression. Frequent trips to New Orleans to visit relatives instilled an early love for that city and
More about T.D. McKinney...

Southern Beaus (4 books)
  • The Wolfe Proxy (Southern Beaus #2)
  • Copperhead Road (Southern Beaus #3)
  • Tensaw Blues (Southern Beaus, #4)