Start by marking “They Loved to Laugh” as Want to Read:
They Loved to Laugh

They Loved to Laugh

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  583 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Tears and laughter alternate in this novel of a young girl's growth to womanhood in the 1830s.

16-year-old orphan Martitia Howland has been transplanted into a Quaker farm family of five intimidating sons and one disapproving daughter. As Martitia runs their gauntlet, she suffers their teasing but finally begins to bloom. Valiantly she acquires the skills they expect of he
Published April 1st 1997 by Bethlehem Books (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about They Loved to Laugh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Loved to Laugh

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George SpeareMara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGrawDaddy-Long-Legs by Jean WebsterTime Enough for Drums by Ann RinaldiThe Sherwood Ring by Elizabeth Marie Pope
Old-School Teen Historical Romance
27th out of 214 books — 74 voters
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottAnne of Avonlea by L.M. MontgomeryDaddy-Long-Legs by Jean WebsterAnne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery
Teen Girl Classics
25th out of 49 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

After her mother dies, shy orphan Martitia is given a home by a lively and affectionate Quaker family in North Carolina. The brothers tease her to death while their sister resents Martitia's delicate white hands and lack of housekeeping skills. Yet it will be an unexpected talent of Martitia's (along with hard work) that saves the family fortunes!
Nov 20, 2007 Rose rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adolescents and adults
Shelves: romances
A very simple and moving book, about a Quaker family in an earlier American day. A young girl loses her parents and is taken in by the family of the doctor who had been with them as they died. The doctor's family is Quaker, though the mother and grandfather are the only ones who truly cling to the strong and strict form of their religion. There are five boys who seem huge and overpowering to the small and solemn girl when she first arrives at their home, the more so for their great and frequent ...more
Sweet little historical fiction read that I ran across on accident. One of the things that fascinated me personally was the mention of one of their neighbors, Nathan Coffin, in Guilford County, NC. Turns out this Quaker family was acquainted with some of my ancestors, which added an extra level of interest for me.
I'm feeling generous with ratings today. This was not a well written book and I didn't care for the protagonist much. She does improve once she decides to start growing a spine. The story was predictable, dripping sweet, and the feminists would have a heyday with this. I had to remind myself that just because it was written a long time ago doesn't make it a classic or literature. This was neither. With that said, it was a sweet story about good people and overall left me with a good feeling and ...more
Jennifer Griffith
A truly delightful read. I cry every time I go through Martitia's trials with her, and as I see her grow through adversity. But I also laugh with her. The portrait Worth painted of life in rural North Carolina seems difficult but less harsh than some of the pioneer accounts, and it contains gems of wisdom for how to live life, to work hard and to love. The cover is a little weird, but don't let that put you off. Keep reading, because the scenes with Martitia and the silk worms are incredible. We ...more
At first this had the feel of an Anne of Green Gables book: orphan comes to live with family and endears herself to their hearts. But that is where the resemblance ends. Sixteen year old Martitia Howland loses her parents to yellow fever and is adopted by the Quaker doctor who was with them when they died. The book details her next two years in Dr. Gardner’s home as she gets used to his five boisterous sons and one unfriendly daughter. The title refers to the mischief-loving Gardner sons. Yet a ...more
This book was written in 1942. The copy my library got for me has a broken spine and the due date slip in the front. That just added to the charm of this sotry. I'll never really know how to pronounce Martitia's name, but it doesn't matter really. She was a wonderful young lady who survived the loss of her parents and came to live in the Quaker family of Doctor David.
Heidi Zimmer
I used to devour books when I was a kid, and this book is one of the few that I went back to again and again to read. The characters are so wholesome and goodhearted. And the sweet love story that slowly develops as the little girl grows up is endearing.
I read this book when I was young and just loved it. It reminded me of the two books by Louisa May Alcott, Eight Cousins and Rose In Bloom. This story just warms my heart.
My family's favorite book! I've read it a million times. Tee writing doesn't stand up against that of other writers, but that never dampened my interest.
Dec 01, 2009 Hannah added it
This one was SO good. The girl is a lot like me.
I'm not very good at understanding some ppls humor....
same as the girl. LOVE THIS BOOK!
a delightful fun read that was both entertaining and interesting. I would obviously recommend highly.
This was my favorite book ever when I was young.
They Love to Laugh
Recently, I read the book “They Loved to Laugh’’ by Kathryn Worth. This book was published by Bethlehem Books in 1942. The number of pages is 254. Various little illustrations are located in the book. Sadly, the illustrations were out of proportion, scarce, and very tiny. The price for this book is about 10 dollars.
This book was about a 16 year old girl, Martitia, whose parents have died. Because of this she goes off to stay with a Quaker family, the Gardeners, till her ric
I wanted to like this, but I just didn't. Something about the writing style and characterization just felt really off.

I found the main character, Martitia, to be a rather insipid protagonist. She was almost like a programmed robot at times. She never seems to know her own mind or figure things out very easily. There was never really any deep insight into what she was thinking or feeling and the characterization felt too simple and shallow. Despite the fact that the book starts out when she's si
Tina Weaver
I don't remember why I picked this book as a teenager. Maybe it was the era and I was reading Wagon Train genre. I read this book with outbursts of laughter. The characters lept from the pages and leaned over my shoulder as I read their exploits. I learned to love each and everyone.
From being pellted with apples upon arriving at the farm to learning to do housework to falling off a log into a stream filled with snakes (no snakes but the boys told her they were there) every moment kept me turning
Oh my goodness....this book had a major influence on me. Read it for the first time in seventh? eighth? grade. I cried and cried over it.

And then, the next year at school, I'd check it out again to cry and cry over it. I really should download it on my Nook so I could cry over it again.

Sniffle....not that it was sad all the way through, just so wonderful to read as a teen. And probably now!!! hahahaha
Heidi Busch
I remember reading this book when I was in high school or middle school. It was so nice to find it on the shelf in our library. I had forgotten so many parts of this book, although I did remember Ruth's saying, "Every tub ought to stand on its' own bottom." I think it would be an excellent middle school book still, although it's a bit old fashioned, I still laughed and cried right along with the family...
For me, this was a good example of writing style changing in the middle. I read the whole thing in a couple hours, and immediately speed-read almost all of it again to make sure that what I had thought I read at the beginning was what was really on the page, and it was, which I could hardly believe based on the rest of the book.

It was recommended by a lady I don't really know as one of her family's favorite fiction, so I thought maybe it was good. Now I'd say don't bother; stick to Louisa May Al
This is one of my favorite books! It is about a girl who is orphaned and goes to live with a Quaker family. Well, they are partly Quaker. The family consists of a girl, five boys, the parents, and the grandfather. At first, Martitia is "useless" since her mother never taught her to do anything around the house, but she becomes determined to learn to help.

It is such a sweet book! The love the family has for each other is inspiring. I definitely recommend this book.
Katherine Gingrich
I absoluty loved this book. Martitia is an orphaned girl who is taken by the doctor who tended her parents to live with him. He has five boys who all tease her mercilessly, and one daughter who resents her for her lack of housekeeping skills due to her upbringing as a 'lady.' While Martitia leans these skills and makes herself into an educated and talented young woman, it is the skills that she cultivated with her mother that end up saving the family from hard times.
The family is Quaker and farm
I don't really even know why I read this. It seems almost dorky now, but I was out of things to read and I found this on the shelf, and the title seemed pretty good, I guess, so yeah...

It's about Quakers, though, and unfortunately I've never been too inspired by Quakers... :/
And whenever I said the main character's name: "Martitia" it felt weird on my tongue. I think it's such an awkward, uglyish name. Probably just me. Oh well.

I DID, however, get mad when Clarkson died...because he was better
A wonderful book portraying a loving Quaker family, in the 1800's, and the shy relative they took in, who "doesn't laugh". Delightful, with humor and a happy ending!
As a young girl this was my favorite book. I've read it over and over and over. Now I'm reading it to my granddaughter.
Tina Mclain
It was really good. I love these sort of stories. It reminded me of these two books: flambards and up a road slowly.
Martitia is orphaned when her parents both die from illness. The doctor that comes to help them takes her home with him until her aunt and uncle can be contacted.
This only child must choose between a leisure life without love with her rich aunt and uncle, or with love and hard work on a farm with a Quaker family with 12 children.
Will serious Martitia ever learn to live with the teasing of the five Gardner boys, and will she ever learn to laugh as much as they do? And which of the boys that fall
This book has become my all time favorite book! I adored this story and even shed tears of joy and of deep sorrow. It is amazing what an impact fictional characters can do on your heart.
i can't get over how much i love this book.
Barbara James-Richardson
I enjoyed when I was a child and loved it
Leonid Meteor Shower of 1833 depicted in "They Love to Laugh" 1 6 Nov 26, 2012 06:52AM
  • The Slopes of War
  • Enemy Brothers (Living History Library)
  • Stink Alley
  • Bound for Oregon
  • Sacajawea
  • The Borrowed House (Young Adult Bookshelf Series)
  • The Boys' War: Confederate and Union Soldiers Talk About the Civil War
  • Bonanza Girl
  • Downright Dencey (Young Adult Library)
  • Guests
  • A History of US: Book 8: An Age of Extremes 1880-1917
  • Traitor: the Case of Benedict Arnold
  • Moonshiner's Son
  • World War II: The Rest Of The Story And How It Affects You Today, 1930 To September 11, 2001
  • Hannah Fowler (Kentuckians, #2)
  • Marry in Haste
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • The Hidden Treasure of Glaston
From NCpedia:

Kathryn Worth, writer, was born at the family summer cottage at Wrightsville Beach, the youngest of three children of James Spencer (1869–1900) and Josephine McBryde Worth. Her brother was David Gaston Worth II, her sister Frances McBryde Worth. The Worths were English Quakers who went to North Carolina in 1771 from Nantucket, Mass. The McBrydes moved into the Laurinburg area about 17
More about Kathryn Worth...
The Middle Button New Worlds for Josie Sea Change

“There are times when a man has need of the open heavens to compass his thoughts.” 5 likes