The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers

The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Ask the Right Questions in the Right Ways...And Get the Answers You Need to Succeed! Discover the core questions that every manager needs to master...how to avoid the mistakes business questioners make most often...ten simple rules for asking every question more effectively. Learn how to ask tough questions and take control of tough situations...use questions to promote in...more
Published September 1st 2008 by FT Press

Osama Aamer
it has everything but the art of asking
Dee Renee  Chesnut
I downloaded this as a free ebook recommended by Spec in the comments section of a Free Friday selection from Barnes and Noble. I read it because I believe in the value of better questions to promote learning and cooperative efforts in groups.
I don't have a problem with the questions suggested by Fadem. My ranking of only two stars is with the format which I believe could be better with some editing so there might be less repetition.
I recommend it as a reference book.
Elf_owl
I didn't finish reading this book because I felt that it had nothing that was new to me, and I have not read any other books of the same genre. The anecdotes from the author's personal experience were interesting, but I didn't learn anything from them. In general, this book just gave me a bad impression of managers since the ones mentioned in this book all messed up because they didn't ask the right questions but then went on to get rewarded.
Arwa
Sep 04, 2011 Arwa added it
the translated book is not well translated at all. as for the origonal book it is very usefull as i consider reading it over sometimes again. it consist of an origonal and proffisional way of looking at questions and it is really an art to be done properly. how good questions can give u a boost in ur career or end it all. the idea can be adapted and applied in real life somehow. i advice the book in english
Saad Usman
A thorough guide for managers, whose job is to supervise people. Since no one can expect a doctor to work without a stethoscope, a dentist without a pick, a painter without a brush, managers can't work without their toolkit, which is questions. I agree with the author that the quality of answers depend upon the quality of the questions as well as the way these are asked. Good read for managers!
Elizabeth Olson
Incredibly thorough, specific and example-filled, this has got to be the definitive guide to asking questions. Though primarily geared to business, the processes and techniques detailed here will help any organization or group ask better questions, get better answers -- and see better results.
Laura Hoffman Brauman
The suggested questions are good, but I didn't agree with much of the author's philosphy on business -- far too worried about not making waves -- sometimes those are the questions that are most important to ask.
Garland Vance
Mildly helpful in thinking about asking good questions
Nancy Graham
Excellent wisdom for leaders and coaches
Bernd
Aug 19, 2011 Bernd is currently reading it
Courtesy of MSFT Library, not much to lose :)
Jessica Rogers
couldn't keep my attention..
Baby C
Baby C marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Charlean Starr
Charlean Starr marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Vivian-uyên
Vivian-uyên is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2014
Sr
Sr marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Amrith Krishna
Amrith Krishna marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Sok Vanda
Sok Vanda marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Sarah E.
Sarah E. marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Paul Lawrence
Paul Lawrence marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jesper Christensen
Jesper Christensen is currently reading it
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Anser
Anser marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • 25 Days to Better Thinking & Better Living: A Guide  for Improving Every Aspect of Your Life
  • The Rules of Management: A Definitive Code for Managerial Success
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • Living Organized: Proven Steps for a Clutter-Free and Beautiful Home
  • Brains: How They Seem to Work
  • Winners Never Cheat: Even in Difficult Times
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
  • Get a Life, Not a Job: Do What You Love and Let Your Talents Work for You
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • Wired to Care: How Companies Prosper When They Create Widespread Empathy
  • Critical Thinking: Tools for Taking Charge of Your Professional and Personal Life
  • Saving for Retirement without Living Like a Pauper or Winning the Lottery
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • Making Sense of People: Decoding the Mysteries of Personality
  • Allies and Enemies: How the World Depends on Bacteria
How to Ask the Best Probing Questions Use Body Language to Enhance Your Questions Unasked Questions Are Foolish Ones Questions Managers Should Avoid Asking: Be Productive, Not Destructive Questioning Stratgies for Focused Results (FT Press Delivers Elements)

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. —Richard M. Nixon” 1 likes