Start by marking “Way to Be!: 9 Rules For Living the Good Life” as Want to Read:
Way to Be!: 9 Rules For Living the Good Life

Way to Be!: 9 Rules For Living the Good Life

4.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,886 Ratings  ·  269 Reviews
From one of the world's foremost spiritual leaders, an inspiring book that provides young adults and their parents with a game plan for leading a better life.
This inspiring, upbeat, life-affirming book shows teenagers and their families how to navigate through the moral minefields of contemporary life and how to truly enjoy the opportunities and blessings that the modern
Published August 6th 2002 by Simon & Schuster (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Way to Be!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Way to Be!

The Book of Mormon by AnonymousJesus the Christ by James E. TalmageHoly Bible by AnonymousStanding for Something by Gordon B. HinckleyThe Miracle of Forgiveness by Spencer W. Kimball
Best LDS non-fiction
12th out of 196 books — 244 voters
The Book of Mormon by AnonymousHoly Bible by AnonymousJesus the Christ by James E. TalmagePreach My Gospel by The Church of Jesus Christ ...Lectures on Faith by Joseph Smith Jr.
Best of LDS Theology
12th out of 91 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie
May 08, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Julie by: Megan
This book is so good, it is a must read. It is packed full of valuable life lessons and advice. It made me look at my self and I realized I am a good person, and I do like who I am. It gave me idea of how to be happier and become a better me!
Christy
Aug 26, 2008 Christy rated it it was amazing
I review these "rules" for living on a regular basis. This has been a great book for my older boys as well. A good teaching tool from a loving source.
Darci
May 24, 2008 Darci rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Written by the wisest of men. Don't read it once and put it away. Keep it out, read from it regularly, then perhaps these things will be ingrained in our lives. If only everyone could read it and BE... we'd all live happily ever after.
McKaylla White
Oct 28, 2008 McKaylla White rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
AMAZING!!! I LOVED this book!

Every day now I find myself going over the 9 Be's and saying to myself whether or not I'm truly applying them to myself. I have so many friends who have more than one copy and don't even bother to open it!!! It has helped he put my life into such a place of order - it's miraculous!

Many questions I've had recently having to do with being a teenager I guess were answered simply and clearly. President Hinckley is very concise and to the point and I love it. I hate it wh
Bryan Tanner
Mar 30, 2014 Bryan Tanner rated it really liked it
My first semester as BYU undergrad, I had the privilege of hearing President Gordon B. Hinckley offer the timeless "6 B's" sermon.
(Reprinted here: https://www.lds.org/ensign/2001/01/a-...)
The 6 B's include:

Be Grateful
Be Smart
Be Clean
Be True
Be Humble
Be Prayerful

A year later he added 3 additional B's, all now collected in his book, "Way To Be":

Be Positive
Be Involved
Be Still

While I recognized President Hinckley's words to be not your run-of-the-mill sermon at the time they were given live, I have a
Darus Trutna
May 08, 2011 Darus Trutna rated it really liked it
Gordon B. Hinckley's 9 rules are powerful, simple, and, if lived authentically, will bring great happiness to anyone's life. Even though I'm not religious, the ninth rule, Be prayerful, really helped to remind me the power of future orientation and thinking with the end in mind. (Stephen Covey's 3rd Habit of Highly Effective People) The power of prayer, I believe, is not that your wishes will suddenly be granted, it is that you are clarifying exactly what you want in your life and are able to co ...more
Elijah Christopher
Apr 20, 2015 Elijah Christopher rated it it was amazing
There is not much I can say about Way to Be! as it is the kind of book that leaves me without words. I find it both amusing and humbling to have read so many descriptions and reviews of evil things of the world and found within them that the reviewers were left "speechless" or "breathless." I have always been able to speak about the evil things I have experienced within media of all kinds. I pray that I not be seen as a hypocrite for saying this, but as a human race, as the children of the most ...more
Kylene
Nov 24, 2014 Kylene rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
I love this book. I especially love President Hinckley. I remember when he gave this talk. I was in college at the time, and his words were very influential to many of the big decisions I made. I was glad to have a chance to reread this and be reminded of those teachings.
Jenny Stringham
May 26, 2015 Jenny Stringham rated it it was amazing
I loved his wisdom and stories gathered over 9 decades of living. Even though it was popular and a must read over a decade ago, this was actually my first time reading it. I'm hoping to get my teens to read it now. PS. Can I just say, I love President Hinckley!!
Tom
May 21, 2014 Tom rated it it was amazing
Short read! I love short! Great optimism and advice. It's more about preventative morality than about repentance from deep trouble, but it does treat such repentance a little. And all course corrections are repentance, anyway. The optimism of the book is still there for everyone willing to take it. While clearly from a Mormon perspective, it is somewhat general. Other Christians might enjoy it, too.

I like that President Hinckley varies from unassuming ("I don't suppose any of use will be remembe
Amanda Stephens
Apr 09, 2015 Amanda Stephens rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-13-25
This book is for young adults by the prophet Gordon B Hinckley. He teaches 9 be attitudes that would be a good idea for all to follow. They are: Be Grateful.Be Smart.Be Involved.Be Clean.Be True.Be Positive.Be Humble.Be Still.Be Prayerful.
It is a wonderful book for LDS youth who like to read words from past prophets, or who strive for self improvement.

I would suggest this book for all young adults 12 and older, regardless of gender. Younger children could benefit from this book as well, if readi
RaeAnn
Jan 27, 2008 RaeAnn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
President Hinckley is an amazing man with great advice. I hope to better apply his 9 B's to my life.
sMarty
Apr 18, 2009 sMarty rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to sMarty by: A friend
Shelves:
Brian
Jan 13, 2013 Brian rated it it was amazing
An easy enjoyable read!
Jen Jenson
Absolutely loved the Way To Be!, just as much as I adore President Gordon B. Hinckley! It was wonderful to read this book again, to hear his voice and feel he pure love that exuberates from him. How I've missed this great man. I've read this book a few times and will read again. Always new applicable points and views! I highly recommend for anyone of any background, faith, religion, etc. Just basic and profound views and points, of being a good person - just because you should try to be a good p ...more
05mailer
May 10, 2012 05mailer rated it it was amazing
I absolutely am in LOVE with this book! Way to Be is written by Gordon B. Hinckley, the last prophet the Church of Latter Day Saints had. Gordon B. Hinckley wrote these "9 Rules For Living the Good Life" to help inspire others to change the way they live to be happier and a more productive life.

Gordon B. Hinckley wrote this book to help teenagers, or basically all ages, to become more. He made up something called the 9 Be's: Be Grateful, Be Smart, Be Involved, Be Clean, Be True, Be Positive, Be
Jeannie
Although President Hinckley wrote this book mainly for teenagers, it is great advice at any age. My favorite chapter this time through was "Be Clean." In this chapter President Hinckley reminds us that the friends we choose are critical to the choices we make. He says, "...choose your friends carefully. It is they who will lead you in one direction or the other. Everybody wants friends. Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your fr ...more
Whitney Redfern
One of the best books I have ever read. I could read this book over and over and still not get sick of it. I want to be the exact person President Hinckley is asking and guiding us to become. I thank thee oh God for a prophet.

I could go on for days with all the quotes I highlighted but here are just a few that I loved...

"The habit of saying thank you is the mark of a cultivated mind."

"Train your mind and your hands to become an influence for good."

"Be smart. Don't be foolish."

"There is no sub
McKayla
May 29, 2012 McKayla rated it really liked it
This is a book about 9 rules of living. These rules are also known as the 9 "Be's." The main theme of this book is "Way to be!" going along with the rules. There are nine different chapters, and each of them says something different. They are as follows: Be Grateful, Be Smart, Be Involved, Be Clean, Be True, Be Positive, Be Humble, Be Still, and Be Prayerful.
I really liked the lengths of each of the chapters. They were all covered very well in detail as to what was meant by it. I was given an
Jason
May 27, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it
The advice in this book is excellent. I feel it can apply just as well to an adult as it can to a teen. I found myself making mental notes about things that I can improve and getting inspiration in general about my life. President Hinckley once spoke at my University and I really appreciate the way he connects with various age groups, embraces his sense of humor, and has meaningful advice. I miss him.
Jerry Peak
A wonderfully positive read!

Simple, plain and straightforward in his approach, it is clear that President Hinckley loves the youth and passes on the love of God to them. It is positive and helpful in reminding us of our purpose in life and how to be what God wants us to be.
Debbie Williams
Jun 26, 2015 Debbie Williams rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
I loved President Hinkley! He was such a good example of love, kindness, and he had some spunk to him. He didn't candy coat how hard things were for the average Joe. Short read on self-improvement and if I could accomplish them all, life would be so much easier.
Becky
Great short book of wisdom for teens and adults alike. "9 ways to be happy and make something of your life". One can hear President's Hinckley's loving positive voice as he shares stories and wisdom from his life--in a very interesting way. Highly recommend!!
Erica Krueger
Mar 09, 2011 Erica Krueger rated it it was amazing
Okay, I admit, I chose this book because it would be an easy read and I need to keep my reading up (or not fall behind in my goal) with some very busy weeks ahead with the move.

What can I say. It was wonderful to read President Hinckley's words again. Most of this book wasn't new to me--he shared probably all of the stories and insights in various talks, but it was a great reminder of what we should strive to be and become. This is written for youth (possibly young adults too, but I'd say more f
Amy
Apr 06, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
The secret to being happy in life is contained in this book and perfect for me and my teenagers. His love and concern for the youth is evident and his counsel is wise and timely. I loved this short read.
Reggie
Apr 12, 2009 Reggie rated it it was amazing
This is a marvelous book packed full of wit and wisdom. President Hinckley's teaching and example have always hit home with me and this book is a shining example of why. The message is so upbeat yet remains honest, realistic, and useful. My favorite chapter was the one on Be Positive. It includes this passage:

"...I am suggesting that we look for the great good among those with whom we associate and live, that we speak of one another's virtues and positive qualities more than we speak of one anot
NaDell
Mar 15, 2015 NaDell rated it it was amazing
I read this quite a long time ago, although I heard one of the Be talks from President Hinckley at a fireside when he came to Washington to dedicate the Spokane LDS Temple. Great advice!
Samantha Taylor
Aug 07, 2014 Samantha Taylor rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much. I will definitely make my kids read this at the right time. Why did I wait so long to read this? I have no idea. But any young man or woman need to read this.
Haley Grizzell
May 19, 2014 Haley Grizzell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a brilliant advice book, not only for religious people, but for everyone else too. Throughout his life, Gordon B. Hinckley taught simple truths and values that many had forgotten or demeaned. This is his counsel to the world. We would do well to heed it.
Natalie
Apr 23, 2016 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Great book that teaches teens awesome traits to aquire. Good personal stories, not too lengthy, appropriate for all religious backgrounds, and just plain enjoyable.
informational 1 1 Jan 11, 2016 04:29PM
  • No One Can Take Your Place
  • Small and Simple Things
  • True to the Faith
  • Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News
  • The Holy Temple
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • The Remarkable Soul of a Woman
  • Spencer W. Kimball, Twelfth President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience
President Hinckley was known, even at the age of 95, as a tireless leader who always put in a full day at the office and traveled extensively around the world to mix with Church members, now numbering nearly 13 million in 171 nations.

His quick wit and humor, combined with an eloquent style at the pulpit, made him one of the most loved of modern Church leaders. A profoundly spiritual man, he had a
More about Gordon B. Hinckley...

“Be grateful, be smart, be clean, be true, be humble, be prayerful.” 515 likes
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.” 156 likes