Because I Love Her

Because I Love Her

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  20 reviews
This profound and poignant collection highlights some of the best literary writers of our time in an era when the roles of mothers and daughters are constantly being questioned and redefined. "Because I Love Her" explores the deepest bonds and truths of motherhood by sharing stories and secrets of becoming a mother and grandmother. Ranging from established and bestselling...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Harlequin (first published March 31st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Because I Love Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Because I Love Her

Julie
As many of you already know, I'm a sucker for books that delve into mother/daughter relationships. I am both a mother and a daughter, and I always seem to relate just a little to the stories. BECAUSE I LOVE HER: 34 WOMEN WRITERS REFLECT ON THE MOTHER-DAUGHTER BOND edited by Andrea N. Richesin is a book that brings a whole new dimension to the mother/daughter bond. This book is a collection of 34 essays by famous women writers about their personal experiences with their mothers and/or daughters.

I...more
Cindy Hudson
The mother-daughter bond is complex. As daughters, we may strive to be more like our mothers, or we may cast off both the implicit and explicit things our mothers taught us. As mothers, we may want different things for our daughters than we had growing up, and we may celebrate the diversity to be had through generations of women passing down their wisdom. No matter our relationships with our mothers, they almost always leave a gaping hole in our hearts when they are gone.

In her new anthology, Be...more
Allison
This is a beautiful collection of essays written by women about their daughters--usually young daughters--told through reflections about their relationships with their mothers. I think mothers, particularly young ones, will take the most from reading this collection, but even without having a daughter of my own, I related to many of the messages the writers convey through their small pieces. Essays that struck me in particular include:
"Cutting the Purse Strings" by Heather Swain
"Other People’...more
CinintheCity
I'm a sucker for books that delve into mother/daughter relationships. I am both a mother and a daughter, and I always seem to relate just a little to the stories. Not all the mother/daughter relationship stories were happy -- quite a few caused me to tear up and thank God that I do have good relationships with my grandmothers, mother, and daughter. The stories in this book seemed very real and honest to me. I was amazed by how many of the women in this book had less than optimal mothers and mana...more
Liz
Lovely anthology of Mother/Daughter essays that is a must-read for everyone who is a mother, has a mother, is a daughter,has a daughter, or all of the above! The contributors are very real women with real, funny, heart-breaking lives, and I found myself both laughing and moved to tears. Makes a great gift for any woman who is close to you - I bought 2 copies for moms-to-be, one for myself, and one for my mother.
Caryn
I read this book slowly and renewed it from the library several times, so i never finished it before I had to return it. But some of the stories really spoke to me . . . I liked that it wasn't all mush and gush, that these relationships were thorny and realistic, and the issues covered were complex and interesting. I'm going to send a copy to my mother who's going through some tough times right now.
Gayle
I'm just about finished this book and am loving every page of it. It's a collection of (very) short stories about mother/grandmother/daughter relationships. Being estranged from my own mother for more then 3 years now I was a bit hesitant but those thoughts were unfounded. As the mother of 2 daughters this book is priceless!
Miranda
I seem to be on a short-story kick and this was a lovely book. I've always enjoyed stories and books about family dynamics and now that I have a daughter I have a whole set of opinions and emotions that can be applied to what I'm reading.
Peggy
Not quite what I was expecting. The title is really misleading, as most of the writers in here don't seem to have a bond with their mothers. I couldn't really relate to any of the stories, either. The whole thing was just really disappointing.
Niki
Some of the stories are much better than others. Really enjoyed some of them though and the way the made me contemplate the mother/daughter relationship.
Katie
I loved this collection of essays that examine the mother-daughter bond from both sides; what it means to be a daughter and a mother at the same time.
Lori
Overall great selection of short stories about the wonderful and complicated world of mother daughter relationships. I strongly recommend this.
Kemsmiley1
Great compilation of reflections on mother/daughter relationships. I think it is great for any female whether you have children or not.
Stephanie L
May 05, 2009 Stephanie L is currently reading it
I bought it because I was feeling nostalgic about my child turning one. Real variety of short stories written by women. So far good.
Kayne
Various authors write about their experiences either as a mother or about their mothers. A nice variety and a nice concept.
Dianne
Great reading. I was surprised at some of the writers I could identify with.
Maythu85
good lord, this book was boring!
Amy
pick it up in April! yay, Nicki!
Jenni Pertuset
Mar 27, 2009 Jenni Pertuset marked it as to-read
Shelves: parenting
why: recommended by John
Adrienne
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Doris Ryder
Doris Ryder marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Jody
Jody marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Sue Van buskirk
Sue Van buskirk marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Xana
Xana marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Manel
Manel marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Andrea N. Richesin is the editor of four anthologies, Crush: 26 Real-life Tales of First Love; Because I Love Her: 34 Women Writers Reflect on the Mother-Daughter Bond; What I Would Tell Her: 28 Devoted Dads on Bringing Up, Holding On To, and Letting Go of their Daughters; and The May Queen: Women on Life, Love, Work and Pulling it all Together in Your Thirties. Her books have been excerpted and p...more
More about Andrea N. Richesin...
The May Queen: Women on Life, Love, Work, and Pulling It All Together in Your 30s Crush: 26 Real-life Tales of First Love What I Would Tell Her: 28 Devoted Dads on Bringing Up, Holding On To and Letting Go of Their Daughters