Start by marking “Horn of the Hunter” as Want to Read:
Horn of the Hunter

Horn of the Hunter

The story of the author and his wife's two-month safari in East Africa in the 1950s. Ruark's philosophies are intertwined in the hunting stories to make unforgettable reading.

Published January 28th 1999 by Safari Press (first published January 1st 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Horn of the Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horn of the Hunter

Mike (the Paladin)
This book will be loved by some and hated by others. It follows Ruark (SOMETHING OF VALUE)and his wife on a safari (both gun and camera, though the cameras were lost during the safari) in Africa during the 1950s. I read this book years ago and still keep it on my shelves.

Ruark has written other good outdoor volumes as well as the classic I mentioned above. If you enjoy outdoor sports this may be a book you'll love.

This book touched me in a way that it's hard to explain if you don't feel it yours
Derek Flint
Oct 24, 2012 Derek Flint rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book. Not just a safari book, although it is that primarily. It's also a look at a mess of a marriage between two alcoholics with money. The book is almost single handedly responsible for rejuvenating the safari industry, although I'm sure jet travel and Capstick claim a share of the credit for that also.
Adam Jones
Jul 11, 2010 Adam Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a life long Ruark fan, working my way through his work. His books are worth reading in chronological order, following his life. Old Man and the Boy is one of my all time favorites, and to see where he went from there is amazing.

This book is written in a style similar to Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa, but with a different perspective on the African safari. I felt like I was there the entire time and spent an hour after finishing looking at how I could go to Africa also! Ruark has an infi
Jacquelin
Feb 27, 2016 Jacquelin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Borrowed this from my dad when he heard I was trying to introduce more non-fiction into my reading habit. It's a relatively quick and easy read (Ruark was a journalist and also published several novels, so he has a knack for storytelling) with a surprising amount of humor. While I rarely chuckle out loud while reading, it happened several times during Horn of the Hunter. Be forewarned that some observations may not fall comfortably into today's standards of political correctness; this safari acc ...more
David Lucero
Jan 18, 2013 David Lucero rated it really liked it
Written in 1952, you will appreciate the dialogue spoken and written during this time. At no time does the reader feel these hunters killed for fun. Back then this was a profession. Unlike today where hunting is more so for poaching. The writer is witty, talented, and knew he had a good story to tell. His wife accompanied him on this safari and you actually feel you're right alongside them in the land rover, traveling across the Serengeti Plains, visiting the frontier town of Arusha, and taking ...more
Gan
Sep 07, 2015 Gan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. Story of his African Safari in the 1950's. Before communist butchers, failed socialist governments, poachers and human encroachment which destroyed much of Africa and its animals. This is a story about Africa in its pristine beauty. One of Ruark's best. If you are are the type to be easily offended by the written and spoken word, and you judge those in the past by present immoral standards, please don't read this book, stick with your politically correct garbage.
Mike Disalvo
Aug 28, 2013 Mike Disalvo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the finest books ever written on Hunting period. Ruark odes Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa hands down. In this book we follow a man and his wife from New York's high life to the backwoods African bush. We discover what a buffalo really looks like, and how you feel when he looks at you! We discover fear, anxiety, restlessness, pride, triumph, and in the end respect and joy. A very highly recommended book.
David Ward
Horn of the Hunter: The Story of an African Safari by Robert Ruark (Safari Press 2002)(Fiction). This is one of Ruark's classic big game hunting novels. It is the story of a rich alcoholic couple with money who goes on safari together. Ruark's love for hunting and his experience in the bush clearly shine here. My rating: 7.5/10, finished 1983.
Greg
Amazing how rapidly he manages to work in sexism, racism, AND (random unrelated) homophobia in such a concise, road-company-Hemingway volume. Of a different time. I can't speak to the quality of the writing, which is perfectly workmanlike, but it's difficult to read the memoirs of an utter tool. At least it's a lot shorter than the ramblings of Knausgaard, that other memorializing tool.
Heather
Jun 27, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gift from my father to Zorig....i snagged it and started reading it on a rainy, cool morning. What a fun read! I learned much about safaris back in the day and loved the side stories about Ruark's wife who was along for the adventure. The last episode with a zebra is riveting!
Mike Turner
Aug 08, 2013 Mike Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The original African Safari Hunter- people like John Mecom and professional hunters will tell you that he was the real deal- hard to put down.... And authentic
Alex Kennedy
Feb 10, 2009 Alex Kennedy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of the most enjoyable novels I've read. The author manages to capture the magic of hunting Africa. Liz and I re-read excerpts of the book before our African safari.
Tom
Not really my cup of meat.
Ashford
Ashford rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2012
Dave
Dave rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2012
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2014
Fraser Heston
Fraser Heston rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2015
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2013
Brady
Brady rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2008
T.W. Dittmer
T.W. Dittmer rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Theophilus Sims
Theophilus Sims rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Kerry Thomas
Kerry Thomas rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2012
Jonathan Hovey
Jonathan Hovey rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2015
Syntactical Disruptorize
Syntactical Disruptorize rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2015
Lee Taylor
Lee Taylor rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2015
Valerie Jameson
Valerie Jameson rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015
Bernadine
Bernadine rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2012
Lilacs
Lilacs rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2011
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2010
gus pullen
gus pullen rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2017
  • Death in the Long Grass: A Big Game Hunter's Adventures in the African Bush
  • African Game Trails: An Account of the African Wanderings of an American Hunter-Naturalist (Capstick Adventure Library)
  • The Man-Eaters of Tsavo
  • Rural Rides
  • Mean and Lowly Things: Snakes, Science, and Survival in the Congo
  • African Silences
  • Travels into the Interior of Africa
  • In a Far Country: The True Story of a Mission, a Marriage, a Murder, and the Remarkable Reindeer Rescue of 1898
  • Tschiffely's Ride: Ten Thousand Miles in the Saddle from Southern Cross to Pole Star
  • The Riverkeepers: Two Activists Fight to Reclaim Our Environment as a Basic Human Right
  • Last Climb: The Legendary Everest Expeditions of George Mallory
Robert Ruark was an author and syndicated columnist.

Born Robert Chester Ruark, Jr., to Charlotte A. Ruark and Robert C. Ruark, a bookkeeper for a wholesale grocery, young Ruark attended local schools and graduated from New Hanover High School in Wilmington, North Carolina. He graduated from high school at age 12 and entered the University of North Carolina at age 15. The Ruark family was deeply af
More about Robert Ruark...