Start by marking “Material Witness (Butch Karp, #5)” as Want to Read:
Material Witness (Butch Karp, #5)

Material Witness (Butch Karp #5)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  331 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A novel of murder, political coverup and corruption, by the author of Reversible Error and No Lesser Plea. When New York's top celebrity athlete is shot to death, Assistant D.A. Butch Karp and his wife/partner, Marlene Ciampi, take on an accumulation of mobsters, hitmen, big city guns and big shots.
Published 1994 by Signet (first published June 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Material Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Material Witness

Mary JL
Jul 19, 2012 Mary JL rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of mytery and courtroom thrillers
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am a fan of this author
Shelves: mystery-horror
This is the fifth book in the Bruce Karp-Marlene Ciampi series. I have read almost all of them and I find the series excellent. Sometimes also a bit improbable but the action is so fast-paced you do not notice until later.`

This novel starts with a noted athlete killed in his car, which contained a huge drug stash. There is lots of political corruption and false trails for Bruce and Marlene to sort throught. I'll go no further on the plot so I won't spoil the story for you. Trust me, Bruce and Ma...more
Nike Chillemi
Former New York Assistant District Attorney Robert K. Tannenbaum's descriptions of the streets of New York are fantastic. He knows the hallowed or not so hallowed halls of justice, the subways, Manhattan, as well as the outer borough neighborhoods. Through main characters ADA Butch Karp and his lawyer wife, Marlene Campi, the author makes caustic observations about the New York judicial and the criminal justice systems.

The author paints a unique married couple in Butch and Marlene. They take ris...more
Marti
This is a book that I had read before, but not recorded. The Butch Karp-Marlene Ciampi series is one of my favorites. In this one, Butch gets to play pro basketball in an effort to solve a murder, he quits his job, and Marlene is expecting their first child. It is also where they get to know Harry Bello, the burnt out, drunk detective. Butch and Marlene have some interesting neighbors on the floor below their factory loft-apartment, Stu the sculptor, and Larry the nurse, who play an important ro...more
Carolyn
Continuing my very pleasant romp through the Butch Karp - Marlene Ciampi series, ghosted by Michael Gruber. This is #5. Reliably exciting, fast-moving, suspenseful thriller.
Jon
Continuing to read this series in order. Marlene was pregnant in the last one, is even more pregnant in this one, and has the baby in the closing pages. Mostly, though, about professional basketball, real estate developers in NYC, and the combined corruption between the two. Shows what to me seems like an authentic enthusiasm for and understanding of the fine art of basketball, while at the same time reminding the reader that it isn't as important as anything in real life. Some pretty hard-to-be...more
Shay Williams
Another great Butch Karp book. These books just suck me and I love to listen to them while I am working in my studio.
Judy
I liked this one better than the previous four. Did the writer hit his stride? Did I hit my stride? Butch and Marlene seemed less at odds with each other this time and while the plot had lots of different threads and players it wasn't as convoluted as some of the previous ones. Even though Butch and Marlene were out of the DA's office for different reasons they still got to interact with the usual cast of characters along with some new interesting people. A good read.
Jon
#5 in the Butch and Marlene series. Just downloaded #6 and # 7. The problem...he has been writing since 1987. I am so screwed. I have read at least some of the later ones.
Jim Meyer
the saga of Butch and Marlene continues with the birth of daughter Lucy, introduction of Ariadne Stupenagel and the Walking Booger. This time corrupt New Yorkers involve themselves with LA based mafiosi...a natural for Ciampi to deal with...easy read !!!
Gail
Too gritty
I like detective/mystery stories. The physical snips were unnecessarily graphic. It took away from the story. Was interested to know the killer, but would not recommend.
Mailmanr5
Typical for the series which means very good. Marlene continues to take a physical beating. I don't know how many more she can take in future stories.
PJ
NBA basketball, hitmen, first meet det Bello?
Lexi
Always love these characters!
Vicki Papworth
No. 5 of Butch & Marlene
Jemera Rone
Another good read.
Jackie Simons
Read 2/95
Lisa Rhodes
Lisa Rhodes marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Michael Rizor
Michael Rizor marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Catherine Stange Schmid
Catherine Stange Schmid marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
  • Reign in Hell
  • Invasion of Privacy
  • Line Of Vision
  • At All Costs
  • Beyond Recognition (Boldt/Matthews, #4)
  • Liar (Irene Kelly, #6)
  • A Certain Justice (Abe Glitsky, #1)
  • The Sacred Cut (Nic Costa, #3)
  • Wolf in the Shadows (Sharon McCone, #14)
  • Heartstone
  • Private Screening (Tony Lord #1)
  • Blossom (Burke, #5)
  • A Vine in the Blood: A Chief Inspector Mario Silva Investigation
  • Silent Justice (Ben Kincaid, #9)
Robert K. Tanenbaum is the New York Times bestselling author of twenty-five legal thrillers and has an accomplished legal career of his own. Before his first book was published, Tanenbaum had already been the Bureau Chief of the Criminal Courts, had run the Homicide Bureau, and had been in charge of the training program for the legal staff for the New York County District Attorney’s Office. He als...more
More about Robert K. Tanenbaum...
Reversible Error (Butch Karp, #4) No Lesser Plea (Butch Karp, #1) Absolute Rage (Butch Karp, #14) Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10) True Justice (Butch Karp, #12)