Start by marking “After the Fireworks (Modern Voices)” as Want to Read:
After the Fireworks (Modern Voices)

After the Fireworks (Modern Voices)

As an acclaimed novelist, Miles Fanning is well used to the unwanted attentions of his fans as he goes about his daily business. Yet little prepares him for the determination of the gauche Pamela Tarn who resolves to enter not only his world, but also his bed. Initially repelled by the enormity of the age gap between them, Fanning vows never to acquiesce, and resorts to ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Hesperus Press (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about After the Fireworks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Fireworks

Jill
Nov 28, 2015 Jill rated it it was amazing
The concept of a literary canon (aka: arbitrary decisions made by pretentious white dudes) irritates me to no end. It forces a very specific kind of reading and literary cultural history upon ~educated readers~ -- and it's in very few ways a positive one. Sure, there are some objectively brilliant classics, but what falls to the wayside may be just as excellent.

I feel like -- aside from Brave New World -- Huxley fell to the wayside. And that is a travesty, because I suspect Aldous Huxley is a li
Arax Miltiadous
May 06, 2016 Arax Miltiadous rated it liked it
Ομολογώ, είχα μια διαφορετική εικόνα στο μυαλό μου για τον Χάξλεϊ διαβάζοντας το Brave new world, Δηλαδή δεν μπορούσα να τον φανταστώ να γράφει κάτι άλλο παρεκτός από φαντασία - δυστοπία.
Κι' όμως , μου άρεσε ο τρόπος της αφήγησης του σε αυτή τη νουβέλα , η οποία πραγματεύεται αυτό που δηλώνει και ο τίτλος της , σε δυο επίπεδα. Στον ερωτικό τομέα, τι νιώθουμε όταν πέφτει η αυλαία, η ειδάλλως "μετά τα πυροτεχνηματα" για τον ήδη ξεπερασμένο εραστή ή ερωμένη μας, ενώ παράλληλα, η ιστορία που μας αφ
Kylie
Feb 24, 2010 Kylie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of aldous huxley
I received this as an Early Reviewers copy from LibraryThing. After the Fireworks was originally published in the 1930s and is supposed to be satirical, but I didn't really get the satire in it.

The story follows a well-known, middle-aged, womanising novelist and a 21 year-old fan who meets up with him in Rome. Her desire is to be an intellectual, but she doesn't seem to be particularly interested in learning anything. He takes her around Rome trying to educate her while trying to resist her adva
May 25, 2013 Sarah rated it did not like it
Not recommended. Another reviewer aptly said "I don't care about the egocentric Miles or the essentially narcissistic Pamela so their ultimate predicament didn't move me the way I felt it should." I didn't understand at all the satire, which is perhaps an indictment on me but as a reasonably intelligent and well-read human being I'm not fussed by such pretension.

There was one idea that I did like, however, namely:
"That's the definition of culture - knowing and thinking about things that have ab
Gillian
May 31, 2010 Gillian rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
Beautifully depressing but oddly disatisfying. I don't care about the egocentric Miles or the essentially narcissistic Pamela so their ultimate predicament didn't move me the way I felt it should. Still, an accurate description of the emotions when you realise you've fallen out of love with someone.
Beka Sukhitashvili
May 13, 2015 Beka Sukhitashvili rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british
ორივე მოთხრობაში მწერალი გვიჩვენებს სიყვარულის უძლურებას იმ არსებული პირობების ფონზე: განსხვავება ასაკს, ინტერესებს შორის, გამორიცხავს წყვილის ხანგრძლივ ბედნიერებას.
მომეწონა მწერლის ენა და განსაკუთრებით ფინალები.
Jonathan
Dec 16, 2012 Jonathan rated it it was ok
Tough read. Thankfully short. I enjoyed the intro by Fay Weldon more than the book, and she convinced me I'd liked it more than I thought I had!
Nata
Aug 05, 2016 Nata rated it it was ok
მგონი ისეთი საცოდავი პერსონაჟი, როგორიც პამელაა არასდროს შემხვედრია :)
Ia
Ia rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2013
At_the_very_edge
At_the_very_edge rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2014
505062 rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
burcuarik
burcuarik rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Marinello
Marinello rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Steve Dewey
Steve Dewey rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Sn00py
Sn00py rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Daniel Lafferty
Daniel Lafferty rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Xenia Victorovna
Xenia Victorovna rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2012
M K
M K rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2014
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
May 24, 2015
Mdimelow
Mdimelow rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Serge
Serge rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2015
An Davtyan
An Davtyan rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Maria Fr9
Maria Fr9 rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
May 22, 2015
Tina
Tina rated it it was ok
Oct 31, 2013
Paolo Grill
Paolo Grill rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Ahmad
Ahmad rated it really liked it
May 23, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Einstein's Unfinished Symphony: Listening to the Sounds of Space-Time
  • Lady into Fox
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to World Religions
  • Mine-Haha
  • Inside Intel: Andy Grove and the Rise of the World's Most Powerful Chip Company
  • The Ingenuity Gap: Can We Solve the Problems of the Future?
  • Darksword Adventures
  • James Bond: The Authorized Biography of 007
  • Zero Six Bravo: The Explosive True Story of How 60 Special Forces Survived Against an Iraqi Army of 100,000
  • Fairy Tales
  • The Collapsing Universe
  • The Dam Busters
  • History's Worst Decisions
  • Sanctuary
  • In a German Pension: 13 Stories
  • A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
  • The Eugenics Wars, Vol. 2: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #2)
  • Watchmen and Philosophy: A Rorschach Test (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series)
Aldous Leonard Huxley was an English writer and one of the most prominent members of the famous Huxley family. He spent the latter part of his life in the United States, living in Los Angeles from 1937 until his death in 1963. Best known for his novels and wide-ranging output of essays, he also published short stories, poetry, travel writing, and film stories and scripts. Through his novels and ...more
More about Aldous Huxley...