Start by marking “Sammy Keyes and the Wild Things” as Want to Read:
Sammy Keyes and the Wild Things

Sammy Keyes and the Wild Things (Sammy Keyes #11)

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,340 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
"The most winning junior detective ever in teen lit. (Take that, Nancy Drew!)" —Midwest Children's Book Review

This is not the summer camping trip of Sammy's dreams. She imagined shady glades, meandering streams, a deer or two. What she gets are scrubby shrubs, blazing sun, rattlesnakes, ticks, and scorpions. Her fellow campers are desperate to catch a rare glimpse of an en
Published December 9th 2008 by Yearling (first published May 8th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Sammy Keyes and the Wild Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sammy Keyes and the Wild Things

Jenn Estepp
lately, the sammy keyes series has totally been my crack. i sped my way through all of them and am now waiting anxiously for the next one to be released in the fall. they are nothing like i thought they were and just so, so good overall. i think "and the art of deception" was my favorite, but this one is probably batting second.
Libby Ames
I've been trying to expand my reading to what all kids would enjoy and not my personal preferences. Mystery is not my favorite genre, but my 8-year-old daughter loves it and Sammy Keyes mysteries are her favorites. I read this one at her recommendation. The story had a good pace and was age appropriate (no violence or questionable material). Sammy Keyes is an enjoyable character and I can how she interests my daughter. Anna learned to pick the bathroom lock with a bobby pin from reading Sammy Ke ...more
Karen
Apr 28, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been rating all of these books 3 or 3 and a half stars because, while I'm enjoying them thoroughly, they're generally short and simple and don't leave a huge impression on me after I finish them. But it's kind of difficult to rate them because the series as a whole is more like 4 stars for me--at this point I've become rather addicted to these books and Sammy has really grown to be dear to my heart. So anyway, that's the rating I'm giving this particular book to kind of express my love for ...more
Blessing
Mar 09, 2015 Blessing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sammy is a Wild Thing, but this book isn't about that. It's about an inexperienced high-top wearing, skateboarding teen who precariously decides to do some hiking with a scouting troop of, yes: 3. The wild thing is a condor which takes Sammy a while to, let's say, see ANY amazing qualities it has.

There are like 10 or more Sammy Keyes mystery's. She's a snooper alright, who lives with her grams in a high rise building ONLY for seniors and Sammy has to sneak up the fire escape, sleeps on the couc
Cinnapatty
Jun 13, 2015 Cinnapatty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books of this super long series thus far. It seemed totally age appropriate to Sammy and her friends. It seemed more plausible than most of the other plots. It put Sammy in a different locale than usual and she is more introspective about certain things and it is rewarding to see her draw personal parallels while still getting tangled up in a mystery! It got a little bit confusing as to who did what and when and why at the end there but the humor and heart is found all ...more
Jessica Hernandez
Mar 10, 2008 Jessica Hernandez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who loves a good mystery book
Recommended to Jessica by: idk maybe my aunt when she gave me the first one
this (and along with the rest of the series) is a GREAT BOOK. i want to find out what happens with the whole casey/heather/sammy drama i know it will be good when it come s out th\is month.

IF IT COMES OUT

I WANT TO KNOW MORE!!
Sella Malin
Feb 18, 2008 Sella Malin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mystery
this is the latest sammy keyes book, so I want to read it. i like these books- it's my favorite mystery series. the mysteries are really interesting, and sammy keyes is awesome. I love it when I find out who's the culprit a second before sammy does.
Katie
Jun 11, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tweens, teens, some adults
I love this series, have followed it closely since the first. Although there is quite a bit of a time gap between books, so much so that I feared this would never come out, the books are great! Good little mysteries for teens and fun-loving adults.
Kaylie
Jul 25, 2008 Kaylie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this book ten minutes ago. It was so good!! I love this series and this was probably the best one yet! So many new characters were introduced and so many relationships were built. I can't wait to read the next one!
Elaine Dimopoulos
Apr 14, 2009 Elaine Dimopoulos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrific! I'm surprised I haven't heard of this series before. I adore Sammy's voice; it's filled with life, spunk, humor. I would shove this book in the hands of any middle schooler, boy or girl.
Peggy Howell
Jan 29, 2008 Peggy Howell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Just read because it is nominated for the Edgar award for children's mysteries. It was a quick read about the saving the condor, camping, and friendship. Would be ok in an elementary school.
Yamini
May 02, 2009 Yamini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
The writing was fun and fresh, and hilarious! The main character is instantly lovable, as are her friends. The mystery is pretty fun, too. I will definitely be looking to read more of these books.
Emma
Dec 29, 2007 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sammy keyes fans and comedy/mystery fans.
These books are pee-your-pants funny. And mysterious. It's like two of my favorite genres in one. I think I like this book the best because Sammy makes new friends and becomes closer with others.
Lea
Jul 28, 2007 Lea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best Sammy book yet. Good mystery, fun new characters, and realistic developments in the Sammy/Casey romance. I wish these books had been around when I was that age.
Irene
Sep 19, 2008 Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always this was extremely funny. It has that middle school wit, you know? Well, I really enjoyed all the Sammy Keyes books and I know you will too.
Cinnamon
This is one of the better Sammy Keyes books that I have read. I enjoyed the setting, the somewhat kooky new friends, and the possibility of romance for Sammy.
Pia
Oct 22, 2008 Pia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really nice book. Its a mystery but includes a little of Sammy's wild life side as she tries to protect endangered birds from being killed.
Laurel
Dec 31, 2008 Laurel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All of the Sammy Keyes are really good. They are suspensful, well written mysteries. Read them, I tell ya.
Jessica
Nov 21, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 12+
My favorite one of the Sammy Keyes series! I love this book! So mysterious & suspenseful! Action-packed!
Derrick
Mar 13, 2012 Derrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yafiction
Another fantastic Sammy Keyes mystery. Van Draanen doesn't get half the credit she deserves for her writing.
Lilly
Dec 31, 2008 Lilly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was about really annoying birds and Sammy and Casey getting closer.
Kristen
Dec 20, 2008 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, 2008
I love these books. Sammy Keyes is like Kinsey Millhone teenage version.
Lisa L.
Mar 09, 2016 Lisa L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sammy Keyes and her friend, Cricket, go on a camping trip with eco-nutty Girl Scouts, in hopes to spot a Condor that they've been tracking. Their trip changes when one of the girls strays from camp and while going after her, Sammy and Cricket meet up with Casey Acosta and Billy Pratt. Things get twisted when they find an injured Condor. They have just found one piece in the puzzle, but the rest is even more shocking. Oh-and one more thing, 3 girls and 2 boys are now lost in the middle of a canyo ...more
Sonia
This book is awesome! I love mysteries.
Katelyn
Jun 27, 2008 Katelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes! Casey and Sammy go camping!
Olive
Sep 14, 2008 Olive rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it!!
sammy is so cool.....
Allison
Sep 03, 2008 Allison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
i love Billy in this book!
Soubie
Apr 21, 2008 Soubie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-read
Great book. Love it!
Moussa Niang
Nov 19, 2012 Moussa Niang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1) I loved Sammy Keyes and the Wild Things because the author gets into details of the characters and acts like she is one of the characters. For example Wendelin described Sammy's foot as nasty as rocks altogether she says " She was covered in Blisters and her big toe had many small blisters it looked like there were many fish in her toes." Another example is when Sammy was talking about the bird she said" This bird is so heavy and ugly. It looks like a flying turkey that I would eat for thanks ...more
love this book! 2 10 Nov 17, 2011 08:11AM
love this book! 1 6 May 19, 2008 05:40PM
  • Gilda Joyce: The Dead Drop (Gilda Joyce, #4)
  • Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #2)
  • Something Wicked (Horatio Wilkes Mysteries, #2)
  • The Vanishing Violin (The Red Blazer Girls, #2)
  • Lulu Dark and the Summer of the Fox
  • Behind the Curtain (Echo Falls, #2)
  • Jackie's Jokes (Sisters Eight, #4)
  • Ghost Horses (Mysteries in Our National Park, #6)
  • The Gypsy Game (Game, #2)
  • Stop That Bull, Theseus! (Myth-O-Mania, #5)
  • Danger Goes Berserk (Brixton Brothers, #4)
  • Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2)
  • The Midnight Tunnel (Suzanna Snow, #1)
Van Draanen was born in Chicago, Illinois. One of her early influences was Dandelion Wine . According to the author, the book was "about the magic of growing up and [it] reminded me of all the wonderful mischief my brothers and I got into when we were young." Bradbury's work inspired Van Draanen to write How I Survived Being a Girl, which was published by HarperCollins in 1997. Other early influe ...more
More about Wendelin Van Draanen...

Sammy Keyes (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief
  • Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man (Sammy Keyes, #2)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Runaway Elf (Sammy Keyes, #4)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Moustache Mary (Sammy Keyes, #5)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy (Sammy Keyes, #6)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes (Sammy Keyes, #7)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception (Sammy Keyes, #8)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (Sammy Keyes, #9)
  • Sammy Keyes And the Dead Giveaway (Sammy Keyes, #10)

“It was beyond embarrassing or humiliating or even mortifying. It was ego-slaying!” 25 likes