Start by marking “August and Then Some” as Want to Read:
August and Then Some

August and Then Some

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  14 reviews
New York City. By day, JT Savage is a labourer on the Upper East Side; by night an insomniac in an East Village tenement. His had been a superficially normal childhood in Yonkers, New York; a time of beers by the river, of working in his friend's father's garage, of studying to go to college. Then, one night, everything changed.
Published May 14th 2012 by Fourth Estate (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about August and Then Some, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about August and Then Some

Lauren M
Overall, I thought this was a good book. The writing was great and poignant, Prete does a good job of capturing the tones of the disenfranchised and an uneducated but extremely likeable pregnant teenager. This is a dark book, and you won't feel happy when you finish it, but almost at peace. I was able to connect with the characters- Stephanie was great and one of the best characters I have read in a while.

*SPOILER*
My problem with this book was the fact that nothing was done about a father moles
Jayne Charles
This got off to a great start with the narrator, Jake, a labourer on a New York building site, describing his surroundings as he wheels a big lump of rock home to use as a table. One blast of the colloquial prose and I was propelled into Jake's world. It was gratifyingly coarse: "Understand - we didn't swim in the Bronx River. The geese didn't even go for a dip. They only came to shit. Sometimes you couldn't tell if it was a big piece of water with a little shit in it or a big piece of shit with ...more
Samantha Hoffman
Beautifully written debut novel. Tough subject but told with heart.
Raven
A contemporary and dark novel punctuated at times by moments of joy in the resilience of the human spirit, I found this to be one of the most absorbing stories I have read for some time. Revolving around the events of a fateful summer, Prete introduces us to JT, a wounded young man forging a new life for himself in rundown New York but finding difficulty in establishing relationships with others due to these events, the nature of which unfold gradually throughout the course of the book. Prete's ...more
Marcia Leonard
An excellent, dismaying, hard-boiled novel about an inner-city life-style. I would never have chosen this book to read if I had realized ahead of time the culture depicted--but I'm very glad I read it. It's not enjoyable; it's tough, realistic, and magnificently written.
The Pulitzer prize committee couldn't make up their minds this year. It's too bad that "August and Then Some" wasn't one of the nominatees.
Maria
Beautiful writing, but I didn't get the plot structure until I was about three quarters of the way through the book. That was okay, though. The writing was strong enough to make me not care, and I eventually "got it". It was pragmatic and lacked a resolute, just ending, like much of life itself.
Alisonismail
This is a brilliant read, very atmospheric, some characters so likeable that you manage to overlook (to some degree) how sad it is. Bits of Philip Roth and some Catcher in the Rye themes too.
Erin Hankins

Depressing, slow and the type where you can skip entire paragraphs but not mies a beat. I would not recommend unless you ate in to depressing books.
Kate
Sensational and so well written. Modern masterpiece with real, well defined characters. A hint of catcher in the rye. Please read it.
Jen
One of those books that you have to say Wow when you finish it. Very powerful.
Randy Briggs

Very painful to read, but absolutely stellar.
Andrea
Harsh and sad, but a compelling read
Zuzu Burford
I could not put this book down.
Wellington City Libraries
Thought provoking, sad.
Pepper
Pepper marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Nelia
Nelia marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
John Luiz
John Luiz marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Susie
Susie marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Lúcia Ramos
Lúcia Ramos marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Pia Harrison
Pia Harrison marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Felicity Williams
Felicity Williams marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Helenasonja
Helenasonja marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Say That To My Face: Fiction August and then some Say That To My Face August and Then Some: A Novel