Start by marking “The Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook

The Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  313 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Amish Recipes from the Collection of Beverly Lewis
A homespun, authentic collection of Amish recipes collected over the years by Beverly Lewis. Many are from her grandmother and other family members as well as dear friends from the Amish world she writes about with such power and authenticity. Now she lovingly shares these with her millions of readers who have come to trea
Published May 1st 2004 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook

The book starts with two sisters who had left the Amish faith and became what is called “Englisher” one sister Tilly had married but the other sister Ruth has not made a commitment having not given up on her failed courtship with a young Amish boy. The years have passed and their brother contacted them to come and celebrate their parent’s anniversary. Coming back home many times means shuffling around the held baggage and this was the case for the two sisters. Tilley had never felt she was a mem ...more
After reading a few of Beverly Lewis' books, I wanted to look up some of the recipes she talks about in her books. Lo and behold, she has already come out with an Amish cookbook, contributed to by many different Amish people. I sat down and read through most of the recipes and I look forward to trying out quite a few. Especially the soups/stews and desserts!
These delicious recipes will help you put good wholesome meals on the table without a lot of fuss - so easy to prepare. The recipes are organized by category, making it easy to find your favorite mouth watering recipes.

I've been using this cookbook for about 2 months and already have a few favorites:
Pumpkin Bread - The best I've ever eaten.
Morning Glory Muffins - Makes a lot of muffins and the extra batter will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
Amish Meat Loaf - Just superb!

If you enjo
Overall, I was disappointed. Having read the Abram's Daughters series, I was very interested in the recipes because the food always sounded so good. Blueberry Pie - use 2 cans of canned blueberry pie filling. What? Not what I was expecting.
Gretchen Cochran
LOVE it. I cook out of it all the time!
Dec 31, 2010 Cathy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Cathy by: Beverly Lewis's talent persuaded me to buy it
Not thrilled with this cookbook. I expected it to share the recipes from each book in the series and it really didn't. There are lots of good recipes, don't get me wrong. But I really wanted the ones I was reading about with no embellishments.
I love this author anyway. Was so glad to finely get my hands on this cookbook. Love recipes that have been handed down! Comfort food at it's finest, just in time for fall!
I got this Amish cookbook after falling in love with Beverly Lewis's stories of the Amish.

I couldn't wait to start cooking. There are some wonderful recipes in this book.
After reading all about the Amish it was fun to get the cookbook and look through the recipes they talk about. I recently made hush puppies from the cookbook and they were great!
I just received this book as a gift. I am so excited. I will have to give updated reports later once I start reading it and using it:-)
I use this cookbook every week. It holds our favorite dinners and treats.
Janet Hampton
Janet Hampton marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Ruth Wilson
Ruth Wilson marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Beth marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Leah marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Nancy marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Debbie K
Debbie K marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Denise Schlick
Denise Schlick marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Spencc1 marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Sheri Middle
Sheri Middle is currently reading it
Oct 27, 2015
  • Wanda E. Brunstetter's Amish Friends Cookbook
  • Cooking from Quilt Country : Hearty Recipes from Amish and Mennonite Kitchens
  • The Riddle of Amish Culture
  • Amish Society
  • Amish Women
  • Hannah's Dream (Hannah's Heart, #1)
  • Spring's Renewal (Seasons of Sugarcreek, #2)
  • The Red Geranium
  • House Calls and Hitching Posts: Stories From Dr. Elton Lehman's Career Among The Amish
  • A Stranger's Wish (Amish Farm Trilogy, #1)
  • Fresh Food Fast: Delicious, Seasonal Vegetarian Meals in Under an Hour
  • The Sound of Sleigh Bells (Apple Ridge #1)
  • Broken English (Ohio Amish Mystery, #2)

Beverly Lewis, raised in Pennsylvania Amish country and both a schoolteacher and an accomplished musician, has been an award-winning author for over a dozen years. Her acclaimed novel, The Preacher's Daughter, was a 2006 Quill Book Award finalist in the romance category. Her books have appeared on numerous best
More about Beverly Lewis...