Start by marking “Skylark Three (Skylark, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Skylark Three

E.E. "Doc" Smith

Skylark Three (Skylark #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  745 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The first of the mighty Skylark spacecraft took Dick Seaton and Mark Crane to the strange planet of Osnome. Skylark Two returned them to Earth. Now, they voyage again to Osnome to meet the staggering threat of war.

En route, Seaton and Crane encounter an alien spaceship. It looms as a peril more deadly than any planetary battle!

In a desperate race to mobilize the scientifi
Mass Market Paperback, 207 pages
Published January 1st 1978 by Jove Books (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about Skylark Three, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skylark Three

Johnny
Although the title of this volume is Skylark Three and would suggest that it is the third novel in the “Skylark” series by E. E. “Doc” Smith, it is actually the second book in the series. The “Three” in the title refers to the third iteration of the eponymous spaceship. From an early novella in Amazing Stories, this is an intriguing episode where an earlier science extrapolates intriguing possibilities. Skylark Three is ultimately based on an ethereal or aethereal cosmic theory (where there is a ...more
Roddy Williams
‘In this exhilarating sequel to The Skylark of Space, momentous danger again stalks genius inventor and interplanetary adventurer Dr Richard Seaton. Seaton’s allies on the planet Kondal are suffering devastating attacks by the forces of the Third Planet. Even worse, the menacing and contemptuous Fenachrones are threatening to conquer the galaxy and wipe out all who oppose them. And don’t forget the dastardly machinations of Seaton’s arch-nemesis, Du Quesne, who embarks on a nefarious mission of ...more
Derek
This is a book entirely devoid of irony. The heroes are upstanding corn-fed Americans, the enemies are dastardly conquest-fueled aliens, the day will be won with the intelligent application of SCIENCE!, and the dialogue is so corny that movie theaters can coat it in nasty ersatz butter sauce and sell it by the fattening tub.

Everything you need to know about Smith's gender politics is shown in an early scene: the menfolk grapple with the fundamental forces of the universe and bend SCIENCE! to the
bkwurm
The second book was worse than the first. Just as dated but now the supposedly heroic protagonists quite calmly commit genocide and make themselves effective rulers of the entire galaxy by force. Even for the period this was published, it is hard to see how this could have been considered in any way admirable.
DavidO
Original: I got about halfway through this one and kind of gave up on this series. It's definitely not as good as the Lensmen series, which is little surprise since this was written first. It's main problem is the dialog. Nobody ever spoke like these characters. They sound like rejects from a campy 1930's film. The science part of the science fiction is very dated too and I find it a bit painful to read. I'd rather have less detail on the science fiction then this wildly inaccurate stuff.

New: I
Michael Hall
Definitely a classic, and so very enjoyable, Skylark Three gives us another dose of unbelievable and fantastic science that is almost miraculous in it's application. The characters are still larger than life, too perfect, and pompous sounding... but this is still a fun story to read -- even when xenocide is being committed.

More so than in the first book the language and pseudo-science gives a dated feel to Skylark Three and seems to have been written for a younger audience. At the same time how
Otis Campbell
Three by three, they danced on the sea
Three by three, they’re turning the key

Clint
This book was much better than the first Skylark book, so much so that I'm going to downgrade my rating of the first one to make enough space between the two of them. It seems like in this book, though still filled with all the insanely bad dialogue and incredibly huge coincidences of the first, Doc Smith was more into pure sci-fi imaginings, the best part of the genre, random, unique alien races, speculative science taken to extremes, etc. You can tell he had a kid's enthusiasm for his work, an ...more
Jeffrey J
Skylark Three actually reads much better that Book 1. Some much better narrative on the exploration of the Universe and some much more interesting dialog during first contact(s) between Seaton and several alien cultures. You can see shades of the epic scope of the universe and its inhabitants throughout very similar to the Lensman novels that Doc wrote. This also escalated the drama that will come with DuQuesne's next move to best Seaton which was foreshadowed by providing Seaton and the group o ...more
Brian
I read all of the E.E. "Doc" Smith SciFi that I could find, growing up. Now, reading Skylark Three again for the first time in perhaps 35 years, I find that it's still a whacking good story. Written at a time when particle physics was barely off the ground, I find that the science is deeply dated. The dialog is a bit repetitive and sensational. But it brings me back 35 years. That's not entirely a bad thing. And it *is* a good story, and extraordinarily progressive and imaginative for it's time.
Mark
The original space opera series. Certainly not good writing, but vigorous with entertaining 1930's attitudes, pseudo-science, and pseudo-slang.

"Worrying? That bird is simply pulling my cork! I'm so scared he'll kidnap Dottie that I'm running around in circles and biting myself in the small of the back."
Caleb Wachter
Going from memory here, but the stars of this book (and I might argue, the entire series) are easily the Fenachrone villains. I would write more, but I honestly don't remember a whole lot of the plot of this one. I do remember this book the most fondly, probably due to the menace of the baddies.
Doug Farren
I read this one a LONG time ago. The Skylark series is a classic which I periodically go back and reread every decade or so. The science is outdated and the level of technology is a bit too far-fetched but it's still a classic space opera.
Chris
See "Skylark of Space." This is as far as I got with Doc Smith, mostly because these books were a little hard to find. Maybe they've been re-issued now.
Peter
Old school Space Opera series written by the doyen of space opera writes - style and content a bit dated now but still an ok read
Kristy
This one is more sciency and less alien-y and battle-y than the first book in the series, but still quite enjoyable.
Kat
Gosh-darn wowie zowie fun, a classic of scientifiction! As corny as a field in Kansas, but a lot of fun.
Lindsay
An old-fashioned but enjoyable sci-fi read full of brave heroes, plucky damsels and evil villains.
Jim
Not any worse than his others, I guess I just got tired.
CJ
I just LOVE these vintage Sci-Fi epics!
bluetyson
Skylark Three by Edward E. Smith (2000)
Carol
1st printing, 1963
(same cover art)
Jellies McWhite
Jellies McWhite marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Biiku
Biiku marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
  • The Dragon Lensman (Second Stage Lensman Trilogy, #1)
  • The Brave Free Men
  • The Early Asimov: Book Two
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • The Monster Men
  • Brain Twister
  • Storm Over Warlock (Forerunner, #1)
  • The Winds of Gath (Dumarest of Terra #1)
  • Lamarchos (Diadem, #2)
  • The Door Through Space
  • Breaking Strain (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 1)
  • Islands in the Sky
  • The Broken God (A Requiem For Homo Sapiens, #1)
  • Needle (Needle, #1)
  • The Seedling Stars
  • The Wolf Worlds (Sten, #2)
  • After Worlds Collide (When Worlds Collide, #2)
  • Time and Again
E.E. "Doc" Smith
Edward Elmer Smith
Edward E. Smith, Ph.D.
More about E.E. "Doc" Smith...
Triplanetary (Lensman, #1) Galactic Patrol (Lensman, #3) Gray Lensman (Lensman, #4) Second Stage Lensmen (Lensmen, #5) First Lensman (Lensman, #2)