Start by marking “Fractal Time: The Secret of 2012 and a New World Age” as Want to Read:
Fractal Time: The Secret of 2012 and a New World Age

Fractal Time: The Secret of 2012 and a New World Age

In this fascinating book, Gregg Braden merges the modern discoveries of nature’s patterns (fractals) with the ancient view of a cyclic universe. The result is a powerful model of time— fractal time —and a realistic window into what we can expect for the mysterious year 2012 . . . and beyond.

Applying fractal time to the history of the world and life, he proposes that everyt
Published March 17th 2009 by Hay House (first published January 1st 2009)

Shelly Newman
Nov 12, 2009 Shelly Newman rated it it was amazing
Ok, so I realize that some people who know me think I'm "out there". To them this book will just add fuel to that fire. But to those who "know" and are in touch with their spiritual side, this book is a MUST read. The concepts and the scientific data are just overwhelming. I learned things about this planet and the past that I had never realized and felt sort of like Christopher Columbus discovering the New World. It is unsettling, shakes up your thinking. The book ties in with the End of Days w ...more
A.M.
Oct 25, 2012 A.M. rated it really liked it
A friend recommended this book as a must-read before the now infamous date of December 21, 2012, and I am glad that I did. Not only is Fractal Time an interesting read - it is an inspirational one.

Braden provides a well-researched, readable and fascinating blend of quantum physics, metaphysics, science, history and spirituality that explores the Mayan and other ancient cultures' study and concept of time in comparison to what modern-day technology is confirming.

What is being hyped as "the end of
Denise Downing
Jun 22, 2010 Denise Downing rated it it was amazing
At first it would appear that this is just another doomsday, 'prepare for catastrophe', type of 2012 new age book.

But the truth is that this is a well-written, well-researched look into the new science of quantum physics and the nature of time itself.

Exploring the world of matter/energy at the sub-atomic level, Braden continues on to explain that time is cyclical, rather than linear, and certain 'events' within history contain within themselves the 'seeds' of repeating events.

We have all heard
Soneile
Dec 31, 2009 Soneile rated it it was ok
This book had some interesting information about time but it was hard to follow and tried to blend things together that didn't go together so well. I did the fractal time in my life, but I still had questions. Like do things really repeat forever in your life, or can you work your way out of a repeating pattern? I personally think that you can change patterns. And is he saying you can't make any new patterns as an older person? So much has happened in my life, and I felt like I could force it an ...more
Avel Rudenko
I immensely enjoyed Gregg Braden's exposure and exploitation of our past. The "higher-ups" would like to stammer and halt our "spiritual evolution" altogether. We must listen to our heart and retrieve deep spiritual wisdom deposits into our daily lives. The scientific community is a massive FAILURE to be frank. It starts by saying that this isn't a scientific research book. He says it is based on research and written for the layman. The earth-cycles section was amazing. The ancient civiliations ...more
stormhawk
May 28, 2009 stormhawk rated it liked it
Interesting theory, but most of what the author has to say (of any substance) is covered in the introduction. He doesn't provide a lot of support for his ideas, and left me wondering why there wasn't more practical application of his theory. He touts the math as being the most important element, but then relegates the simple formula to the appendices, and gives little explanation of the relevance of the dates that he generates ... focusing on the "whoo-hoo" events and downplaying the "not much r ...more
Heather
Apr 12, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
This book helped me see the upcoming date of 2012 in a much different light than most of what's out there. I had begun being afraid of what would come, seeing either cataclysm, or a semi-mass exodus from the planet by those who were ready to ascend. This author looks at writings from ancient civilizations, about the ending of the previous ages, and uses a simple math formula based on the golden ratio to project when and how things will change. I love the idea that this time of transformation is ...more
Melanie
Aug 02, 2009 Melanie rated it it was amazing
I am learning so much from this amazing book. For instance, regarding our life now and how we interpret the potential 2012 prophecies it reads, "The way we feel about our experiences has a direct effect upon what we actually experience." We are in control of what we create in our lives now and in the future. I believe this deeply.
Alex
Nov 24, 2012 Alex rated it did not like it
This masquerades as something profound, but the dubious mathematical reasoning and leaps of philosophical logic which it demands don't stand up to much scrutiny.
Kae Cheatham
Mar 04, 2011 Kae Cheatham rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction

Gregg Braden's Fractal Time is what I consider a quasi science/self-help book that investigates the possible ramifications of the "2012 world's end" predictions. The main precept is, Does the past hold the blueprint for the future? Braden reasserts many times that the 2012 date is does not predict an Armageddon. He presents cosmologic data that pretty much confirms that earth is a part of fractal time—a moving piece in cycles that have been going on since the universe was formed. 2012 is when on

Iona  Stewart
Aug 03, 2011 Iona Stewart rated it liked it
All Gregg Braden's books bear upon the larger scheme of things, esoteric messages encoded in ancient times, planetary themes such as the Shift, etc etc. This book is no exception.

It is divulged that we are rapidly approaching the end of a 5,125-year cycle of time, the end of a world age. This began in 3114 B.C. and will culminate in December 21, 2012.

Moreover, this cycle constitutes the last fifth of an even greater cycle (or world) describing "the precession of the equinoxes - our 25,625-year j
Tim Wood
Jan 04, 2014 Tim Wood rated it did not like it
Braden is definitely a man with a buzz. The book is premised on the observation that time is not linear but is composed of cycles many different sizes (e.g. days, years, etc) and that these cycles often build up to similar possibilities. He takes this observation that's obvious in the area of seasons and attempts to extend it down into the details of our lives and up to the march of our civilization, making the requisite caveat that this all speaks to potentialities but actual events are depende ...more
David
Jul 21, 2016 David rated it liked it
Time has passed since this book was a hot read. All about the end of time according to the Mayan calendar at the 2012 winter solstice, but then what? Time cycles and cycles within cycles explains many things in our individual lives. Why we meet the right people at the right time. In my case, individual prayer and interfaith prayer groups have become an important answer to social action and social justice issues in 2016.

Why does prayer work when so many "godless" leaders and leaders of thought w
Suze
Oct 01, 2011 Suze rated it really liked it
Gregg Braden’s tour through aspects of physics sometimes struck me like reading sci-fi. I love learning about quantum physics – somehow it’s more acceptable to my right-brain/ non-science way of understanding. He looks at fractals, nature’s repetitive patterns within itself, and builds a case for collective human emotion having influence on the course of the world. He also proposes that time is spiral rather than linear. I was especially intrigued with his explanation of controlled scientific ex ...more
Chris
Oct 08, 2013 Chris rated it did not like it
Fractal Time starts off with promise. Things happen in patterns in a cylindrical fashion. History repeats. People with habits are likely to continue them regardless of the specific person or objects surrounding them. However, after establishing this idea, author Gregg Braden starts running absolutely wild with it. He starts drawing patterns with events like military issues andterrorist attacks using wild examples including things that didn't actually happen but instead were thought about. With t ...more
Jim
Feb 20, 2013 Jim rated it it was ok
I should have looked closer before buying this as an ebook. The idea of cyclical time intrigued me, and I don't recall the subtitle being displayed on the version I bought. Since it was written before December 2012, the author spends much time on the Maya calendar, and probably sold a good number of books by doing so. It sure makes it dated now, though. Some of his ideas about cycles of time were interesting even though they seemed rather woo woo out there. Of course much of quantum theory is pr ...more
Mike Rot
May 06, 2014 Mike Rot rated it liked it
I want to believe. Highly skeptical but so far the point by point refutations I have read online have been ad hominem and inadequate to say the least. I see a lot of rhetorical theatrics playing out in his book, a lot of tenuous connections being made, and the calculator I find too implausible to even give the benefit of the doubt as the inputs of history seem so arbitrary (history is made of stories we tell ourselves not rigid numbers). Still I feel like there is something there, not quite defi ...more
Rex Jones
Apr 22, 2012 Rex Jones rated it it was amazing
Again, another book about how science and spirituality are once again converging. Fractal Time examines the end of the Mayan calendar and posits that December 21, 2012 doesn't have to be all doom and gloom. There is hope for our future, and surely some future exists--just not sure who will inhabit that future. One thing seems certain: with all the talk of 21st Century Skills, only those who are walking the walk will inhabit the world to come. Our current globalization isn't about making sure you ...more
Katrina
Nov 23, 2012 Katrina rated it liked it
Very interesting. This book opened up a broader understanding for me of time and cycles and how we and nature are all connected. It also helped me understand the Mayan calendar much better, which does not actually say that world will end on Dec 21st. This was a listen-read for me (and thus an abridged version, which in this case was a good thing, I think) and I was impressed by how well the author narrates his own writing.
Michelle
Aug 12, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
If you are interested in the science behind 2012 and don't have the mind of the scientist, this book is a good read. He explains the science mostly in laymans terms - just slightly towards the end the reading gets a bit complicated. I enjoy the fact that he incorporates spirituality into the coming of 2012. He doesn't focus on the coming of 2012 as an end but more as a time for change. Very interesting!
Robert Whitford
May 02, 2009 Robert Whitford rated it really liked it
I got this book because I have an intense interest at the moment of how time moves for us. Not yet in the broad strokes of history and possible outcomes that the author talks about, but in the way we perceive the movement of time. We see it as a broad straight avenue. The physicist see it as nonlinear.
Chris
Nov 15, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
The concept of this book is quite interesting, though I'm not sure its entirely convincing for me. Trying some of the exercises he has for the reader to apply his theories of pattern to ones own life I found myself stretching for conclusions. The flip side, however, was that dates were close enough to significant events that it wasn't ignorable either.
Cristina
Jul 05, 2009 Cristina rated it liked it
Fractal Time combines science and spirituality to present a positive way of looking at the December 2012 theories. Braden does not get overly technical and I found his writing interesting and informative. My favorite part of this book was the explanation of the elecrtro-magnetic potential of the human heart and how it can directly influence the natural world.
Tess Rupprecht
Sep 04, 2009 Tess Rupprecht rated it liked it
Shelves: just-curious
Just got from the library this book which I reserved a long time ago! Just so excited to read another Gregg Braden's collection. His analysis of the Mayan calendar is very interesting. The well researched data including those of the US Presidents 20-year cycle of deaths in the office is quite a revelation... Nice reading but keep the stories of the bible in mind while reading this.
Susan
Feb 22, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The forward was very repetitive. It took til track 5 for him to get to the first chapter. It was slow to start out with; and it seemed like he was trying to draw the book out more, instead of letting it flow; and giving information freely... It finally started to move; but then he did try to draw it out throughout; although the main content was very good.
Heather
Jan 05, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
Though I thought I knew a little bit about 2012 from Gregg Braden's other books, this one blew my mind! He introduces some scientific principles and information that really made me think. He also offers up some practical tools so you can do your own simple calculations to identify patterns in your own life.
Melissa
Mar 08, 2010 Melissa rated it liked it
I'm a big fan of Gregg Braden from way back, but this book pulled up a little short for the non-mathematical reader. I ran the fractal time formulas on a number o0f my life situations (by hand and on his website) and could come up with no aha realizations. Of course there were many good ideas and stories and I was thankful for the opportunity to peak into Gregg's thoughts on our path for change.
Vatsal
Jun 21, 2010 Vatsal rated it really liked it
An interesting, while also intriguing, way of looking at time. My advice: don't take it too seriously in terms of time fractals. Nevertheless, use the appendix at the end of the book to calculate cycles of joy in your life and see whether it fits in with the time fractal theory mentioned in the book.

Novel Idea, but not one of the best written new age book.
Susanna
Apr 26, 2009 Susanna rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
It's the first time I read about 2012 prophecies and I suppose I only read this book because I find Gregg Braden an interesting speaker and author.

The book presents some really interesting theories and the only thing that stops me from giving it 5 stars is simply my skepticism.

Norbert
Aug 30, 2012 Norbert rated it liked it
zaujímavé čítanie.
hlavne ma zaujalo prepojenie človeka s prírodou ako jedného celku cez magnetickú energiu, ktorú vydáva ľudské telo a tým komunikuje vlastne s magnetickým poľom zeme. táto časť ma zaujala najviac.
  • Spontaneous Evolution: Our Positive Future (And a Way to Get There from Here)
  • The Pleiadian Agenda: A New Cosmology for the Age of Light
  • Serpent of Light: Beyond 2012 the Movement of the Earth's Kundalini and the Rise of the Female Light, 1949 to 2013
  • Toward 2012: Perspectives on the Next Age
  • The Mayan Calendar and the Transformation of Consciousness
  • Maya Cosmogenesis 2012: The True Meaning of the Maya Calendar End-Date
  • Alchemy of the Human Spirit: A Guide to Human Transition Into the New Age (Kryon, #3)
  • Path of Empowerment: Pleiadian Wisdom for a World in Chaos
  • 11:11: The Time Prompt Phenomenon: The Meaning Behind Mysterious Signs, Sequences, and Synchronicities
  • Fire Monks: Zen Mind Meets Wildfire at the Gates of Tassajara
  • Wide Awake: Buddhism for the New Generation
  • The Chakras (Quest Book)
  • Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot: An Authoritative Examination of the World's Most Fascinating and Magical Tarot Cards
  • The God Theory: Universes, Zero-Point Fields and What's Behind It All
  • Going Within: A Guide for Inner Transformation
  • Apocalypse 2012: A Scientific Investigation into Civilization's End
  • Meditations for Manifesting: Morning and Evening Meditations to Literally Create Your Heart's Desire
  • The Bond: Connecting Through the Space Between Us
New York Times best selling author Gregg Braden is internationally renowned as a pioneer in bridging science and spirituality. Following a successful career as a Computer Geologist for Phillips Petroleum during the 1970s energy crisis, he became a Senior Computer Systems Designer for Martin Marietta Defense Systems during the last year of the Cold War. In 1991 he was appointed the first Technical ...more
More about Gregg Braden...