Start by marking “Becoming a Dad: A Spiritual, Emotional and Practical Guide” as Want to Read:
Becoming a Dad: A Spiritual, Emotional and Practical Guide

Becoming a Dad: A Spiritual, Emotional and Practical Guide

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Preparing to be a dad has more to do with bravely facing the deep questions of your soul than mastering the mechanics of baby care (although, that's really important too). Fatherhood is a journey o
Published February 22nd 2005 by Relevant Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming a Dad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming a Dad

Sam
Jan 08, 2013 Sam rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sam by: Renee Potter
This is a fun, engaging, and encouraging book. More practical than technical, the authors seek to encourage men to embrace the excitement, mystery, and confusion of fatherhood. They challenge men to live life boldly and fully, to love their wives and children passionately, and to risk personal pain in order to lead and love their children.

Being a father does not mean having all the answers, fulfilling some cultural picture of masculinity, or raising kids that "do right." Being a father means se
Chris Giovagnoni
Apr 18, 2012 Chris Giovagnoni rated it liked it
I read this book twice. By accident. Which is one indicator of how worthwhile I thought it was.

I first read the book two years ago, before my first child was born. The book's emphasis is on "becoming" a dad, which was timely during my first read, but what I was getting into was such an unknown that much of what the book addresses was lost on me. I learn by doing more than by reading.

This time through, I connected with the text through some of the shared experiences, but because of this I felt t
Aaron
Jan 24, 2009 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dads
Recommended to Aaron by: Relevant Magazine
I really liked this book. It's written by two christian guys, both counselors. They really cut right to the heart of what being a dad (and an many ways, being a man, and being a christian) means. You have all sorts of responsibility, you have a certain amount of influence and power, you have very little real control... and guess what? You're going to screw it up. You will fall flat on your face. But, the great thing is, life isn't lived in the perfect moments only, but in recovery and repentance ...more
Chris Monks
Feb 11, 2014 Chris Monks rated it it was ok
Although I did gain some important knowledge from this book I was troubled that the authors took the perspective of the father being the number one provider for his family while the wife stays at home with the kids. Three months after my baby is born I'll be a stay at home dad.
Tim Lapetino
Oct 06, 2011 Tim Lapetino rated it really liked it
This was a great book that deals much more with the ways to think *about* becoming a father rather than how exactly to do it. The authors are both counselors and look at the parenting task through a spiritual lens and deal with the specific hurdles and challenges of fatherhood. So glad it was the first book I read in prep for our kid.
Vee
Vee marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Georgina
Georgina rated it did not like it
Mar 28, 2016
Deepak
Deepak added it
Feb 20, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Liliana
Liliana marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Derek Borders
Derek Borders rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2015
Shawn Phillips
Shawn Phillips is currently reading it
Jul 02, 2015
Aditya Kekatpure
Aditya Kekatpure marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Lacey
Lacey rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2015
Antonio Challita
Antonio Challita rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Chris Murphy
Chris Murphy marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2014
Jesse
Jesse rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2014
Ktreadwell
Ktreadwell rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Cody
Cody marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Zach Paschal
Zach Paschal marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Roland Clark
Roland Clark rated it did not like it
Apr 01, 2014
Jay Anderson
Jay Anderson rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2014
Josh Mullenix
Josh Mullenix rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2013
Jemma Hardaker
Jemma Hardaker rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2013

Stephen James, LPC, MHSP, NCC is a private practice psychotherapist in Nashville, TN where he provides individual, couples, and group therapy as well as organizational and leadership consulting.

He received his MA in Counseling from The Seattle School of Theology and Psychology and his BA in English from Belmont
More about Stephen James...