Start by marking “The Secret Adversary” as Want to Read:
The Secret Adversary

Read Book* *Different edition

The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  22,350 Ratings  ·  1,546 Reviews
The two young people greeted each other affectionately and momentarily blocked the Dover Street Tube exit in doing so. The adjective "old" was misleading. Their united ages would certainly not have totalled forty-five. (Excerpt)
Published August 10th 2008 by Tutis Digital Pub (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Adversary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Adversary

Dec 27, 2008 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, fiction, mystery
A short and entertaining read-- entertaining as much for its mystery as for the laughable sensationalism of its topic. Very timely for 1922-- all about bolsheviks and revolutions and Labour Party members and secret treaties, with a hero and heroine full of jolly upper-class Britishness and levity, if not imagination, in tough spots. Very characteristic of an era.

The mystery, though constructed out of sensationalistic and dated elements, has an excellent form. We are told quite frankly in the fir
Richard Derus
Rating: 3* of five for both book and movie

The Publisher Says: After WW1, childhood pals Tommy Beresford and "Tuppence" Prudence Cowley, lack money and prospects, become adventurers for the British Government. Rich American Julius P. Hersheimmer, powerful Mr Whittington, and an evil mastermind's conspiracy all seek Jane Finn, given papers vital to peace by an agent at the sinking of the Luisitania. Kidnaps, escapes.

My Review: The novel is a dated piece, lots of hoopla about Bolsheviks and the Gen
James
Agatha Christie meets Enid Blyton's Famous Five for a ripping adventure yarn. Or something like that anyway. Nothing like Poirot or Marple, Tommy and Tuppence are young, almost childlike in their approach. It's exactly like you'd imagine the Famous Five would treat the case - lots of excitable running about, not a lot of appropriate respect for the fact that they are in serious danger for most of the novel...

Tommy and Tuppence, the two detectives are demobbed after the war and find themselves wi
Marts  (Thinker)
Being the first Agatha Christie novel that I've read in eons I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this tale. All in all it wasn't that mysterious per say but enjoyable nonetheless.
Tommy Beresford and Prudence Cowley called Tuppence, childhood friends who happen upon each other after the war (thats WWI) are both looking for jobs and start brainstorming some ideas finally deciding to put an advertisement in the paper saying they're willing to do 'anything' but with terms and conditions of course.
Pradnya K.
May 02, 2016 Pradnya K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2016
Thought I'd finish it over a weekend but it took two. Never mind, coz it was good enough. Not the one which gets hold of you and shakes through and through but good enough.

It's a story of a mysterious teenage girl who's entrusted with important treaty and goes missing right after she gets handed it over to her. Tommy and Twopence, sorry, Tuppence ( that's the clue, right? )
form together Young Adventures, a tiny organization to earn money in curious ways, fall right into the track on a very firs
Wealhtheow
Oct 04, 2011 Wealhtheow rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Dreadful. The mystery itself is far from mysterious—I had it figured out very early on—but the tone in which it is written is what really sinks this book. The unions and “common people” distrust the government only because they are manipulated into it by criminals, the government itself is filled with kind and upstanding men, and the criminals are cowards who enjoy writing grand declarations of their dastardly ways. Pah!
The only saving grace to the book is the pair of Tuppence and Tommy, althoug
Jim
I have rated this at 2 stars. It was not a bad book. It was okay. This was not a murder mystery. It was a spy novel. Having read many of Agatha Christie's novels such as And Then There Were None, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, Murder on the Orient Express, etc. it was a bit of a disappointment. There were times when I was reading this book that it reminded me of reading "The Hardy Boy's" when I was (much) younger.

This was the second of Christie's books and was originally published in 1922. It intr
First Second Books
I've always been more of a fan of Christie's detective-less stories with average people thrown into crazy situations, fighting to solve the mystery around them before it eats them up. Though this book stars Tommy and Tuppence, who later went on to become recurring detective characters of hers—though hardly ever Poriot or Marple status. This is their first appearance: two naïve 20-somethings who have no clue what is happening and are merely looking for a way to make a quick buck. It has much of t ...more
Mo

This was the inaugural selection of my newly formed book club, which consists of various female members of my family scattered all across the country. We chose this book for a number of reasons.

•It was a free download from GoodReads, which made it readily available to everyone.

•It was a short read of only 190 pages, so everyone should have time to read it.

•It was written by a well known and very popular author.

•It was highly rated by the GoodReads community, with an average rating of 3.80.

W
Carly
Dec 08, 2013 Carly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**edited 12/04/13

Tommy and Tuppence, two bright young things recently demobbed from WWI activities, meet by chance and sit down to discuss their lives over a cup of tea. Neither have fared well in the post-war world, but that hasn't dimmed Tuppence's sangfroid. Prodded by Tuppence, the two decide to start list themselves as "Young Adventurers, Ltd:" and put a notice in the Times:

Two young adventurers for hire. Willing to do anything, go anywhere. Pay must be good. No unreasonable offer refused.
Jennifer Girardin
I really enjoyed this Tommy and Tuppence adventure, which is full of twists and turns to keep you guessing until the end.

The character of Tuppence was particularly engaging. Her upbeat and solve-anything attitude was refreshing and full of charm as together with Tommy they solved the mystery with wit and style.

A fun Christie read, classic and charming from the beginning to the end.
William Thomas
Apr 20, 2013 William Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have I gushed before in any of my reviews about how much I love the TV show 'Murder, She Wrote'? I feel like I had to have already gone on about how happy it makes me, however remedial and rudimentary most of the plots might seem. We should all know by now that there are many pleasures in a book aside from the plot- otherwise reading a succinct review would sate most of our appetites. So it isn't really about the story, with MSW, but the players involved, and the interactions between.

So it is w
Laurel Young
Jan 11, 2010 Laurel Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How cute is this book?? It immerses the reader thoroughly in 1920's England, with Tommy and Tuppence calling everyone (including each other) "old bean" and so forth. It's a departure from the classic mystery of its predecessor, The Mysterious Affair at Styles--although there is certainly a mystery with a twist worth of Agatha, there is also a heaping helping of adventure and romance. The romance is delightful--Tommy and Tuppence are irresistable. The adventure is a little much for me: all the wi ...more
Melissa
Wow, this is amazingly good.Hard to put down.Full of action written in such attentive detail that we have come to expect from an Agatha Christie story.

A young Tommy and Tuppence are such loveable characters.Post WW1, down on their luck and looking for adventure.
Advertising themselves as-
'Two young adventurers for hire. Willing to do anything, go anywhere. Pay must be good. No unreasonable offer refused', fancying themselves as sleuths.
Quickly, they become embroiled in a case of mystery involving
Tatiana
Not enjoying this Tommy/Tuppence dynamic duo. The story itself is kind of rompy and gimmicky, trying too hard to be funny and lighthearted. Give me Poirot or Miss Marple instead!
Hayden
Aug 12, 2015 Hayden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, mystery
I have a confession to make: one of my biggest weaknesses in literature/film is husband-and-wife detective teams. Blame it on William Powell and Myrna Loy's fabulous portrayals of Nick and Nora Charles, but it's a trope I've adored for ages, and one that I hope to suitably make proud one day in my own writing.

For that reason, I've always been interested in Agatha Christie's Tommy and Tuppence mysteries...only to be dismayed by the fact that the last THREE libraries I've had the pleasure to patro
Mmyoung
Aug 08, 2010 Mmyoung rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, christie
I imagine that this book would have disappeared from memory had it not been the second Agatha Christie. It would probably have been categorized as a romp, or the equivalent term in the early 1920s, when first published. The story is completely unbelievable and yet it finely captures a moment in time. The men and women who went off to the First World War have returned home, changed, to an England that has also changed. The book captures the dislocation of life at the time and the nervous feeling ...more
Becky
Jan 28, 2012 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I'm rediscovering my love for Agatha Christie...mainly because the library near my house doesn't have much of a selection of books on tape. I ADORED Agatha Christie when I was in middle school, and it's fun to re-experience my complete inability to figure out who the bad guy is - even if I already read the book before. Also, I've realized that Agatha Christie probably was a key player in my interest in human nature and psychology. Until I read her books more recently, I didn't realize all of ...more
Abigail Hartman
Dec 28, 2012 Abigail Hartman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Tommy and Tuppence have long been my favorite Christie detectives for their sheer amount of personality and chemistry, but I hadn't read this first novel before. I heartily enjoyed it, even though it is much more over-the-top than the majority of her mysteries; the petty villains are as shifty as those in a Nancy Drew story, and there was one part where I wondered if Ned wouldn't be showing up to rescue a character. I think, however, that this was in keeping with Tommy and Tuppence being true am ...more
Kelsey
Feb 05, 2016 Kelsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this story most of the day at work. This is one of my favorite Agatha Christie stories!
The Year of Agatha
Tommy and Tuppence are pure delight! This is a fun introduction to this witty pair full of adventure and general fun.
Arwen56
Un po’ sullo stile di P.G. Wodehouse. Molto “inglese” e alquanto improbabile. Non avevo mai letto nulla prima di questa coppia di investigatori creata dalla Christie, Tommy e Tuppence. Non mi è piaciuto granché, anzi, per dirla schietta, mi sono alquanto annoiata. Sembra un romanzo per bambini adattato affinché vada bene anche per degli adulti. Ben lontano dagli standard della Christie.
Leslie
I found this Nadia May narration much enhanced my enjoyment of this first Tommy and Tuppence book. Also, my admiration for Christie's writing is greater with this reread as she managed to keep me guessing even though I thought I remembered the solution. Her red herrings were so plausible I kept second-guessing myself thinking I had mis-remembered it!
Mary
Aug 03, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this first story with Tommy and Tuppence.
So of the time it is set.
Agatha Christie certainly has you guessing till the end.
A brilliant mystery with a happy ending.
Much better than the recent bbc drama of this where the story line is slightly changed, being set in the 1950's.
Jo
Clever mystery, and I did enjoy seeing Tommy and Tuppence get together, however, it was a bit campy. I suppose that was the general attitude of books written in the 1920s. I do love Agatha Christie though I don't think this is one of her better ones.
Wendy
Jul 24, 2015 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ac
Es el segundo libro de Christie y en él introduce a la pareja de detectives Tommy y Tuppence. Es una historia mas de espionaje/aventura que de el típico género por el cual se hizo famosa la dama del crimen.

Fue escrito en una época en la que Inglaterra salía de la Primera Guerra Mundial, donde el patriotismo era bastante fuerte y aun existía algo de paranoia con relación a los paises "enemigos" y a corrientes económicas y de pensamiento como el comunismo.

Tommy y Tuppence, para la época, fueron p
Kaethe
Childhood chums Tommy and Tuppence run into one another in London shortly after being demobbed from WWI. In their twenties, broke, with no prospects, the crazy kids decide to embark on a career as adventurers. Lo and behold, in no time they get swept up into an enormous plot to bring down governments, as orchestrated by the elusive Mr. Brown, criminal mastermind.

Why yes, it is rather as if Nancy and Ned decided to try being spies, after they had tired of regular sleuthing. And like the original
Donna
May 17, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2011-read
Tommy and Tuppence differ from Poirot and Marple (Christie's better-known detectives) in several crucial ways. They age at the same rate of their publications, with later novels set when they have been married for years and their grown children have left them. Their youth compared with the aforementioned detectives, as well as Tommy's war experiences and job, allow them to have more exciting and dangerous adventures than either Poirot or Marple.

This first adventure is definitely full of adventur
Book Concierge
This was the second novel Christie wrote, after her unexpected success with The Mysterious Affair at Styles. In the forward to this book, she said she thought she would try a spy novel instead of a detective story.

The novel is set in 1920 – five years after the sinking of the Lusitania, and after the end of The Great War (WW I). Unemployment is high and many young people who had served in some capacity during the war are descending on London to try to find work. Among them are Thomas Beresford
Lisa (Harmonybites)
May 28, 2011 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
I am an Agatha Christie fan--honest I am. I can number as favorites And Then There Were None, Murder on the Orient Express, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and Death Comes at the End all of which I'd rate at five stars. Even books I don't count as favorites I usually consider a fun read worth the time, but I just couldn't find the plot of this one credible enough to stick it out.

This is the first "Tommy and Tuppence" adventure. Christie didn't write as many mysteries with them as Hercule Poirot or
  • Have His Carcase  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #8)
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • The Circular Staircase
  • The Eye of Osiris
  • Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6)
  • When in Rome (Roderick Alleyn, #26)
  • Tales of Terror and Mystery
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde, #3)
  • Mystery Mile (Albert Campion Mystery #2)
  • The Wisdom of Father Brown (Father Brown, #2)

More about Agatha Christie...

Tommy and Tuppence (5 books)
  • Partners in Crime (Tommy and Tuppence, #2)
  • N or M? (Tommy and Tuppence, #3)
  • By the Pricking of My Thumbs (Tommy and Tuppence, #4)
  • Postern of Fate (Tommy and Tuppence, #5)

“Never tell all you know—not even to the person you know best.” 342 likes
“To all those who lead monotonous lives in the hope that they may experience at second hand the delights and dangers of adventure.

[author's dedication]”