For Freedom: The Story of a French Spy

For Freedom: The Story of a French Spy

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  524 ratings  ·  75 reviews
A teenager transforms from a schoolgirl to a spy in this true story of heroism in wartime.

Suzanne David's everyday life is suddenly shattered in 1940 when a bomb drops on the main square of her hometown, the city of Cherbourg, France, killing a pregnant neighbor right in front of her. Until then the war had seemed far away, not something that would touch her or her teenage...more
181 pages
Published by Turtleback Books (first published May 13th 2003)

Natalie
For Freedom: The Story of a French Spy by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley is a historical fiction book about a french girl named Suzanne David who has dreams of being a professional singer, until her life gets turned upside down. This book takes place in Cherbourg, France in 1940 during World War II. Suzanne is an every day girl, who one day gets an interesting offer. The town doctor, Dr. Leclerc asks Suzanne to deliver important messages to anonymous people. She immediately knew that these “messages”...more
Meg
This was one of those books that I got at some point from some person for my birthday or holiday, and then was promptly set on my bookshelf and forgotten. I can't even remember how long it has sat there gathering dust. Then, a couple of days ago, I found myself requiring a small book -- small books are rather hard to come by in my house; anything less than 300 pages never makes it to the cashier -- and voilà!

For Freedom: The Story of a French Spy is a surprisingly gripping read. Although the wr...more
Jamie
BrBradley, Kimberly Brubaker. For Freedom: The Story of a French Spy. 181 p. Dell Laurel-Leaf. 2003. ISBN 978-0-440-41831-3.

Wow! For Freedom: The Story of a French Spy was incredibly suspenseful. The book is based on a true story.

Imagine you are a 13-year-old living in a French town and your walking downtown with your best friend. It’s May 29, 1940. A bomb falls right next to you and you see someone get killed. Your best friend is so traumatized from the event, she never speaks again.

Suzanne, th...more
Me
These characters are amazing.

I've always loved spy stories and the action and unknown that goes on within them. They're delightful reads, and the previous times that I've read For Freedom that is what I noticed.

This time around I noticed something different though. The characters.

Of course I've seen them before, but what really took me away was my strength and perseverance.

Can we go through an occupation? The material means of one? Can we see our city slowly disappearing? Can we loose friends?...more
 Tara ♪
The book begins when Suzanne, age 13, and her friend Yvette go down to the beach and barely escape being seriously hurt or killed in a bombing.Suzanne just wants to be an opera singer. But with WWII raging around her, it seems impossible. She goes to school and takes vocal lessons, and then she graduates. Suzanne immediately begins winning roles and consequently becomes obliged to run around town for rehearsals, costume fittings, and lessons. Her doctor notices this and asks her to become a spy...more
Jennie
Based on the true story of Suzanne David, a teenager in Cherbourg, France, this is a first person narrative of a teenager turned Resistance spy. Suzanne is an aspiring opera singer who isn't that caught up in current events until Cherbourg beach is bombed while she's sitting on it. She watches one of her neighbors blow up and her best friend never recovers from the experience. Her strength in such an ordeal and the fact that her singing takes her throughout northern France leads the local resist...more
Knitme23
Julie recommended this book, and my nifty public library got it for me on interlibrary loan. It's an interesting story and would make a great companion to Number the Stars, as it tells the story of a French Catholic teenager and her family who live in Cherbourg, France, during WWII. Her father ends up working for the Nazis, running the railroad, despite the fact that the family all opposes the Nazis. The main character, Suzanne, is a gifted singer, and ends up being recruited to carry messages f...more
Joyce
Nice book. It started out a little slow, but the ending half was definitely awesome. Historical fiction set in France based on the real story of Suzanne David, a teen opera singer who is also a spy - number 22. She passes important messages on for the Allies in Cherboug. The end was happy enough for Suzanne, but the harsh fates of others are a reminder of what war brings.
Elaine
I would love to give this 5 stars and recommend it for kids ages 12 and up, but I can't. Unfortunately, in the beginning, there is a scene where a pregnant woman is killed during a bombing raid. The description is too gruesome and gory for any child to read. (If you want to know what happened, another review on goodreads tells the details.) Other than that one very gory paragraph, it was an excellent book. I so wish the author would have just said that the woman and her baby died and left it at...more
Seo Woo
This book is awesome!!! This book took place in World War II, about Nazis and Jews. The character in this book, Suzanne, is a real person, who went through all these events. Suzanne was a spy during the World War II. Her story is very interesting, and it makes you hook up to the story. This book made me nervous a lot, it made me scared when the characters were scared. It also made me sad, or happy, when the main character escaped through the traps of life. I really enjoy reading about the World...more
Payton Nielsen
Great book! What is said on the back doesn't come in till the last like hundred pages but the writing is great and with it based on a true story is even better! Absolutely great read.
Anne
Story of a 13 year old girl in France during the Nazi occupation in WW2. There are a few graphic scenes, but nothing my 12 year old can't handle. Based on a true story.
Yana
This is the story of a 13 year-old girl named Suzanne,who experiences World War II as her town of Cherbourg,France is bombed and occupied by Nazis. Her family is forced out of their home to live in an apartment with barely enough food to servive. Through it all she refuses to give in to fear.She meets a man, a French Resistance who asks Suzanne to be a spy. Suzanne becomes number 22, passing out codes with messages hidden in them.
Based on a true story, Suzanne tries very hard to help the peopl...more
Rachel
Young Suzanne David is living in Cherbourg, France when the Nazis invade France in 1940. Suzanne gives little concern about the Nazis until her pregnant neighbor is killed in a bombing. Somewhat seeking revenge and wanting to do something for her country, Suzanne joins the French Resistance and begins a journey that could cost her her life. The book was average. It was based on a true story so it's somewhat hard to do a book that will catch your attention. I gave the book three out of five stars...more
Ann
We couldn't put it down and finished reading it in a few hours!
Darcy Stewart
For Freedom tells the story of French spy who passes on messages regarding the D-day invasion. Suzanne David is a opera singer who becomes a spy when she comes into the see the doctor. Nazis take her families home and leaves it in wreckage. At the beginning of the book someone dies and her friend becomes traumatized for the rest the life. She never comes out of her induced state but can do anything anybody can do. For Freedom is a fiction book based on a true story. After the D-day invasion and...more
Carolyn
Lydia
Nov 25, 2008 Lydia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!!!!!!
Recommended to Lydia by: I found it when we were studying World war two a few years ago.
I absolutely love this book. It's about a girl named Suzanne David. She's thirteen years old when one day she's walking in the town square with her best friend Yvette--alone. Suddenly, a pregnant woman with her son come up. It's their friend! They talk. Suddenly, BOOM!! The square blows up. They look for Madame Montagne--her baby has been blown out, it lies in a pool of blood-a girl. The mother's head has been blown off, and they can't find the son until later. Suzanne later becomes a spy. Suzan...more
Brittany
I had been wanting to read this for a while, but never got around to it. However, after being forced into a book assignment for religion class in the library, I picked this up and read it instead. When I got home from school I couldn't put it down. It was interesting reading about WWII from a different perspective: France's. I have read many novels set during this time, in nearly every country excepting France during the occupation. The story of Suzanna is well paced and thought provoking, makin...more
Becky Keir Grace
I have read so many books about WWII, and this one told the story of a young French opera star who became a spy. This story is based on an actual person, and I was impressed with her bravery. The story gave an insight to what France went through when Hilter took over parts of the country. On the cover the book is suggested for children 10 and up. However, the first chapter is very graphic describing the destruction of the city and its people. Other than that, I highly recommend this book.
Valerie L
Suzanne David loves to sing - she has an amazing voice for her age of 13 years. She wants to sing opera. Yet WWII breaks into her dreams. She lives in Cherbourg France - her town is occupied by Nazis. Courage - this story shows how courage - when prayed for - can enter anyones heart! I loved how she kept visiting Yevette - year after year - how she always prayed for courage - and how her story kept my heart beating fast - an amazing true story!
Karen
My favorite thing about this historical fiction book is that it is a true story! It is written as a fictional story, but the details and the events came from a real person and her real experiences. I have read a few different WWII books now, but this is the first one from France. It's cool to see how different cities, countries and people reacted. I especially love to read about the strength of individuals in a time of national horror.

Alicia Krauchuk Fenton
Hoosier born author Kimbery Braubaker Bradley writes this piece of fiction, but tells a true story of a young French girl who becomes a spy during WWII in Germany occupied France. Fascinating! I was fascinated to hear the efforts made by those who were not directly targeted by Hitler, but affected by his horrific reign nonetheless. Left me breathless in parts. Easy, quick read...satisfying the occasional "finish-a-book-in-a-day" urge.
Jenny
Suzanne David's life of school and singing changes when Nazis bomb her French town. A neighbor is killed in front of her and her best friend is destroyed mentally. Suzanne longs for a way to fight the Nazis who have forced her out of her home and taken over the town. Her prayers are answered when Dr. Leclerk asks her to spy for the Resistance. She risks everything, family, friends, life itself, to help the Allies plan D-Day.
Jen
-Suzanne (13) is living in France, during WWII. Her and her family are forced out of their homes by the Nazis and have to find a refuge in a small apartment. They go on with their lives; Suzanne is a very good singer and performs for the opera even at her young age.
-She becomes a spy 100 pages through the book. She is called on by the neighborhood doctor to deliver messages for the resistance.
-Will she get caught?
Pat
This is a Utah Young Adults' Book Award Nominee and therefore one of the reasons I was drawn to read it. It is a simple story of WWII France--a young girl who delivers messages for the Free Forces of Charles De Gaulle. It is a fictionalized true story and it works. If read with expectations of great fiction, you will be disappointed, but if read with the desire to learn another aspect of this time, it will be satisfying.
Kristen
An interesting account of a young girl in Cherbourg France during the time of the Nazi invasion. It was a neat way to learn a little history about the French Resistance. Some graphic scenes (actually just one atrocious one on like page three)make me not want to recommend it to my 6th graders which is a shame b/c it's pretty decent historical fiction- esp. b/c it's based on a true story.
Xemian
I love this book, it's so nice and feels so realistic, i wished that her friend, Yvette, had recovered but she stayed the same, in shock of everything she saw, but you know that proves how hard life was. I truly reccomend this book to anyone, it isn't long and it jst holds on to you until you finish like 10 chapters. AMAZINGLY LOVELY COURAGEOUS BOOK !! ^^
Nicole
This book was really thought provoking and informative. You hardly ever hear about what happened in France during WWII and this was a true story about a young girl that lived through some horrible things in the war and who helped bring about the end of the war through her efforts as a spy. I definitely recomend this book.
Jenny
I enjoyed this short novel about a true story that happened in France during WWII. I am so glad that the author knew the girl in this story and wrote the story. I wonderful WWII story about a young opera singer in France who becomes a spy and aids the allies in freeing France from the Germans. To be so brave and strong!
  • Under a War-Torn Sky
  • Soldier X
  • My Brother, My Sister, and I
  • Eyes of the Emperor
  • Keep Smiling Through
  • The Ransom of Mercy Carter
  • Angel on the Square (Angel on the Square, #1)
  • Heroes of the Holocaust: True Stories of Rescues by Teens
  • After the War
  • Into the Firestorm: A Novel of San Francisco, 1906
  • My Secret War: The World War II Diary of Madeline Beck, Long Island, New York 1941 (Dear America)
  • Shadows on the Sea
  • Girl in a Cage (Stuart Quartet, #2)
  • The Voyage of Patience Goodspeed
  • A House of Tailors
  • A Coming Evil
  • Camp X (Camp X, #1)
  • Emil and Karl
I was born and raised in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in 1967, very near the small town that was the setting for my first book, Ruthie's Gift. I attended Smith College, in Northampton, Massachusetts, and graduated with a degree in chemistry just a few weeks before I married my high school sweetheart--Bart Bradley.

I studied chemistry in college because that was what I most loved to learn, but it's not what...more
More about Kimberly Brubaker Bradley...
Jefferson's Sons The Lacemaker and the Princess Leap of Faith Halfway to the Sky Ruthie's Gift