Start by marking “The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)

The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Ever since she was caught up in a magical whirlwind of dragons, spells, and wizards, Theodora Oglethorpe has been doing her best to put the Events of Last Summer behind her and go back to her life as a normal twelve-year-old girl. But no matter how hard she tries to forget about magic, it always seems to find her -- even when she's on vacation! When Theodora's biologist-da ...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Atheneum Books (first published June 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon of Never-Was, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon of Never-Was

Bentwhistle the Dragon in a Threat from the Past by Paul CudeThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingEragon by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons Included
141st out of 159 books — 86 voters
Feminist Family Values by Gloria SteinemThe Beach Book by Gloria SteinemRoad to the Heart by Gloria SteinemIvy Days by Susan Allen TothA Woman's Education by Jill Ker Conway
Smith College Books
110th out of 120 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Heckenbach
I must start by saying I had no idea this was the second book in a series when I picked it up at the library. Nowhere on the cover does it indicate it's part of a series at all. But I had no problem figuring out characters, and the references to previous incidents weren't bothersome, and actually made me curious enough to reserve the first book :).

I never summarize plot in reviews, so let's just say in this well-written middle grade novel you'll find magic, dragons, a mystery, quirky characters,
Debbie
This was a good book. My daughter and I both liked it. We are hoping that there will be more books in the series.
Doris
With a little not-so-subtle help from some witches, 12-year-old Theodora travels to Cornwall to be with her father, the acknowledged expert on the mysterious scale that fell during the first book. Unfortunately for all concerned, the trip is a trap, and little Theodora has a difficult time ahead of her as she works to make things right.

I enjoyed this story, but it has a darker twist and deeper meanings than most children's books. It can also be confusing and difficult to follow, with too many c
Madison
great book that almost instantly got me hooked! Though slightly confusing with what I thought was a slightly rushed ending. I enjoyed the characters and it was truly a fun fantasy tale. I must say that overall it was a goodread. (For any of you thinking of reading this, be aware that this is the sequel to a book called 'Hatching Magic,' so make sure you read that one before this one.)

both book in this series can be located at the Notheast Harbor Library.
Faith
Theodora and her father have gone to Scotland. Her father is a famous scientist and will be studying a mysterious scale from an unknown animal. While out adventuring, Theodora discovers a ghost dog and she calls him William. Electra comes along later to brighten the way.

Reasons why I liked this book-

Reason 1- There is adventure and magic.

Reason 2- There is the ghost dog William.

Reason 3- I could imagine what was happening.
Matisse710
I think that if Ann Downer described the vibe that Theodora had when she met the dragon, the ending would have had more tension. I felt that when Theodora save Colin from the dragon she had done it as if she had thought about it before. It was a choice for neither someone he knew or cared about, so I thought that Ann Downer could have sort of collected Theodora's thoughts throughout the story and then explained her sudden reaction.
Susan
The 2nd in the series but I couldn't follow it well. Either tired or got interrupted too many times. Now that her father is an expert on dragon scales Theodora goes with him to Scotland to look at a possible scale. However, it is a trick to get Theo there to destroy her before she grows into her magic ability. OK, so far. Where I lost it somehow was in the Never-Was.
Brian
This is the sequel to Hatching Magic, and the author constantly refers to things in that book, so if you've not read it, it's immensely frustrating. It's about finding a dragon in Scotland, and it is excrutiatingly slow to develop. It leaves me feeling rather like a Scottish winter: cold, dead, grey, and wishing for some intensity and fire.

Elise
Another in the ongoing read-a-thon for Dragon Storytime in January. it's the second in what will be a series. Lots of interesting plot twists, but ending came a little too fast. Twelve year old heroine coming of age into strong magical power; enemies seeking to stop her. Really cool character is ghost dog Uilleam who only she can see.
Hannah
A very compelling read. Is a young teen growing story. It ends without superficial solutions fixing everything at the end of the story nor with a desperate cliff hanger (as if that were the only way to compel readers to stay). Main character is sympathetic and reasonable enough that I don't mind allowing her space in my thoughts.
Sooz Harper
This book helped flesh out the character of DoDo, the teenage protagonist. Although she still complained about her friends being too busy to hang out with her, she seems well adapted to adventure.
I will read more from this author definitely.
gilbert torres
it was simply brillanltny i loved this book because it was magicail and the plot was some mixed and the details it made me fell like i was reading harry potter or harry plotter
Autumn
Abby
I found it nowhere near as enjoyable as the first one, "Hatching Magic".
Elise
May 26, 2010 Elise marked it as to-read
I didn't know this even existed! Thanks to Goodreads, I do know.
Kami
I liked it. Great for middle grade readers. Gets a pg rating!
Betty
Aug 04, 2008 Betty is currently reading it
Just started reading it, and it is quite good so far
Martine
Great book. Good for all who enjoy fantasy and magic.
Julia Hu
great sequel to hatching magic. luv this series!!!
The New Maria
Jan 17, 2009 The New Maria rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 6-12 year olds
Recommended to The New Maria by: myself
Better than the 1st one. Lot's of plot twists.
Theresa
a great story about what could be
Siabhaon
Nearly as good as the first book
Bill Tillman
Great second book, is there a third?
Dave
See Hatching Magic review
Cheryl Shorter
Cheryl Shorter marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Abbylooloo
Abbylooloo marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Eliana
Eliana marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Tomas Hajek
Tomas Hajek marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • Fantasy Stories
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
  • The Secret Zoo: Secrets and Shadows (The Secret Zoo, #2)
  • Blood Brothers (Dragon Keeper, #4)
  • Dragon's Egg
  • Gauge (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #2)
  • Ivy and the Meanstalk
  • Mermaid Tales from Around the World
  • The Wyverns’ Treasure (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #3)
  • Bard of Avon
  • The Great Powers Outage (The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy, #3)
  • The Blue Roan Child
  • Clair de Lune: A Novel
  • The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)
  • Cleopatra and Her ASP
  • Dragonborn (The Flaxfield Quartet, #1)
  • The Year of the Rat

Hatching Magic (2 books)
  • Hatching Magic (Hatching Magic, #1)
Hatching Magic (Hatching Magic, #1) Elephant Talk: The Surprising Science of Elephant Communication The Spellkey (Spellkey, #1-3) The Spellkey (Spellkey, #1) The Glass Salamander (Spellkey, #2)