Start by marking “The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)

The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic #2)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  287 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Ever since she was caught up in a magical whirlwind of dragons, spells, and wizards, Theodora Oglethorpe has been doing her best to put the Events of Last Summer behind her and go back to her life as a normal twelve-year-old girl. But no matter how hard she tries to forget about magic, it always seems to find her -- even when she's on vacation! When Theodora's biologist-da ...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Atheneum Books (first published June 27th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon of Never-Was, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon of Never-Was

Bentwhistle the Dragon in a Threat from the Past by Paul CudeHeroika 1 by Janet E. MorrisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingEragon by Christopher Paolini
Dragons Included
150th out of 168 books — 123 voters
Orange Is the New Black by Piper KermanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildIvy Days by Susan Allen TothA Woman's Education by Jill Ker ConwayTrue North by Jill Ker Conway
Smith College Books
111th out of 121 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Heckenbach
Nov 17, 2015 Kat Heckenbach rated it really liked it
I must start by saying I had no idea this was the second book in a series when I picked it up at the library. Nowhere on the cover does it indicate it's part of a series at all. But I had no problem figuring out characters, and the references to previous incidents weren't bothersome, and actually made me curious enough to reserve the first book :).

I never summarize plot in reviews, so let's just say in this well-written middle grade novel you'll find magic, dragons, a mystery, quirky characters,
Faith
Apr 17, 2012 Faith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Theodora and her father have gone to Scotland. Her father is a famous scientist and will be studying a mysterious scale from an unknown animal. While out adventuring, Theodora discovers a ghost dog and she calls him William. Electra comes along later to brighten the way.

Reasons why I liked this book-

Reason 1- There is adventure and magic.

Reason 2- There is the ghost dog William.

Reason 3- I could imagine what was happening.
Tony
Apr 27, 2015 Tony rated it really liked it
Grace
May 30, 2016 Grace marked it as to-read
WHAT, THERE'S ANOTHER ONE?
I've reread the first like three times...how did I not know this?!
Debbie
Dec 20, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it
This was a good book. My daughter and I both liked it. We are hoping that there will be more books in the series.
Elisheva Rina
Apr 13, 2016 Elisheva Rina rated it liked it
Not as good as Diana Wynne Jones--not as much humor, and the characters are kind of boring.
Doris
Oct 26, 2012 Doris rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, dragons
With a little not-so-subtle help from some witches, 12-year-old Theodora travels to Cornwall to be with her father, the acknowledged expert on the mysterious scale that fell during the first book. Unfortunately for all concerned, the trip is a trap, and little Theodora has a difficult time ahead of her as she works to make things right.

I enjoyed this story, but it has a darker twist and deeper meanings than most children's books. It can also be confusing and difficult to follow, with too many c
Madison
Mar 31, 2008 Madison rated it really liked it
great book that almost instantly got me hooked! Though slightly confusing with what I thought was a slightly rushed ending. I enjoyed the characters and it was truly a fun fantasy tale. I must say that overall it was a goodread. (For any of you thinking of reading this, be aware that this is the sequel to a book called 'Hatching Magic,' so make sure you read that one before this one.)

both book in this series can be located at the Notheast Harbor Library.
Matisse710
Jan 02, 2011 Matisse710 rated it it was amazing
I think that if Ann Downer described the vibe that Theodora had when she met the dragon, the ending would have had more tension. I felt that when Theodora save Colin from the dragon she had done it as if she had thought about it before. It was a choice for neither someone he knew or cared about, so I thought that Ann Downer could have sort of collected Theodora's thoughts throughout the story and then explained her sudden reaction.
Susan
Nov 29, 2010 Susan rated it it was ok
The 2nd in the series but I couldn't follow it well. Either tired or got interrupted too many times. Now that her father is an expert on dragon scales Theodora goes with him to Scotland to look at a possible scale. However, it is a trick to get Theo there to destroy her before she grows into her magic ability. OK, so far. Where I lost it somehow was in the Never-Was.
Brian
Sep 10, 2008 Brian rated it did not like it
This is the sequel to Hatching Magic, and the author constantly refers to things in that book, so if you've not read it, it's immensely frustrating. It's about finding a dragon in Scotland, and it is excrutiatingly slow to develop. It leaves me feeling rather like a Scottish winter: cold, dead, grey, and wishing for some intensity and fire.

Jennifer Heise
Apr 25, 2015 Jennifer Heise rated it really liked it
Not at all bad, despite being one of those 'randomly transplanted to the British Isles' sequels. Not as good as Hatching Magic, but there are strong sympathetic adult characters, traces of mystery, helpful animals and a (mostly) solid plotline. At my advanced age, parts of the plot seemed contrived but there were definitely surprises.
Elise
Dec 23, 2008 Elise rated it really liked it
Shelves: dragons
Another in the ongoing read-a-thon for Dragon Storytime in January. it's the second in what will be a series. Lots of interesting plot twists, but ending came a little too fast. Twelve year old heroine coming of age into strong magical power; enemies seeking to stop her. Really cool character is ghost dog Uilleam who only she can see.
Hannah
Nov 15, 2008 Hannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: fluff-reading
A very compelling read. Is a young teen growing story. It ends without superficial solutions fixing everything at the end of the story nor with a desperate cliff hanger (as if that were the only way to compel readers to stay). Main character is sympathetic and reasonable enough that I don't mind allowing her space in my thoughts.
Sooz Harper
This book helped flesh out the character of DoDo, the teenage protagonist. Although she still complained about her friends being too busy to hang out with her, she seems well adapted to adventure.
I will read more from this author definitely.
gilbert torres
Jan 26, 2010 gilbert torres rated it really liked it
it was simply brillanltny i loved this book because it was magicail and the plot was some mixed and the details it made me fell like i was reading harry potter or harry plotter
Matea
Apr 14, 2016 Matea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
didn't like this one as much as hatching magic... i'm going to have to read it again to see if it has grown on me. started out really well, but...
Autumn
Apr 05, 2009 Autumn rated it really liked it
Abby
Nov 01, 2009 Abby rated it it was ok
I found it nowhere near as enjoyable as the first one, "Hatching Magic".
Elise
May 26, 2010 Elise marked it as to-read
I didn't know this even existed! Thanks to Goodreads, I do know.
Kami
Sep 28, 2011 Kami rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I liked it. Great for middle grade readers. Gets a pg rating!
Betty
Aug 04, 2008 Betty is currently reading it
Just started reading it, and it is quite good so far
Martine
Sep 22, 2010 Martine rated it it was amazing
Great book. Good for all who enjoy fantasy and magic.
Julia Hu
Mar 14, 2009 Julia Hu rated it really liked it
great sequel to hatching magic. luv this series!!!
The New Maria
Jan 17, 2009 The New Maria rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 6-12 year olds
Recommended to The New Maria by: myself
Better than the 1st one. Lot's of plot twists.
Theresa
Aug 24, 2011 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
a great story about what could be
Siabhaon
Jul 15, 2012 Siabhaon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, myth, mystery, sad, quest
Nearly as good as the first book
Bill Tillman
Great second book, is there a third?
Dave
Oct 06, 2008 Dave rated it liked it
See Hatching Magic review
Eileen Smith
Eileen Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • Ivy and the Meanstalk
  • Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains
  • Dragon's Egg
  • Blood Brothers (Dragon Keeper, #4)
  • Fantasy Stories
  • Gauge (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #2)
  • Boots and the Seven Leaguers: A Rock-and-Troll Novel
  • The Dragon's Apprentice (Dragonology Chronicles #3)
  • Mermaid Tales from Around the World
  • Dragon and Herdsman (Dragonback, #4)
  • Secrets and Shadows (The Secret Zoo #2)
  • The Wyverns’ Treasure (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #3)
  • Dragon of the Lost Sea
  • The Book of Dragons
  • Dragonborn (The Flaxfield Quartet, #1)
  • No Such Thing As Dragons

Hatching Magic (2 books)
  • Hatching Magic (Hatching Magic, #1)