Start by marking “Four Hands: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Four Hands: A Novel

Four Hands: A Novel

Greg Simon and Julio Fernandez are investigative jounalists who are chasing down an elaborate conspiracy plot. The story they discover and type out together weaves truth with lies, wild humor with tragedy, and reality with fantasy--a stranger-than-fiction tale of imperial excess where delusion makes perfect sense.

Published May 15th 1995 by Picador (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Four Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Hands

Esagui
Mar 02, 2016 Esagui rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Llevando ya varios libros del autor puedo afirmar que esta novela se aleja mucho de lo que nos tiene acostumbrados. Lo que llevaría a muchos a tomar distancia. Y sí, puedo secundar esa acción. No es un libro complicado pero tampoco es tan sencillo como las decenas que le preceden. No es difícil de leer pero sí de ver en un contexto general y poder definir el camino a seguir. Los personajes son geniales y te encariñas fácilmente, pero de la misma manera te pierdes y cuesta engancharlos unos a ot ...more
Karlo Mikhail
Aug 28, 2011 Karlo Mikhail rated it it was amazing
In spite of the deceptive complexity, the plot of Paco Ignacio Taibo II's Four Hands is actually very simple. It is the colorful yet believable characters and the playful and witty telling that makes the novel very engaging.

The story is simply about how the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) tried to frame a Sandinista Minister who had a significant role in the struggle against dictator Somoza, spread disinformation, and demoralize the Sandinista government in Nicaragua. This occurs in the backgr
Christian Schwoerke
Feb 19, 2014 Christian Schwoerke rated it liked it
I was given this novel by a fan of Taibo’s oeuvre, and I wanted to thank his generosity by doing the novel justice, reading carefully and attentively. Unfortunately, I was in the midst of personal chaos (making a permanent move from one continent to another), and I jerkily proceeded in fits and starts through the novel over the course of four days, never being able to read for longer than 30 minutes. This created something of mental strobe effect, a disjointed perception of what appears to be ha ...more
Tripmastermonkey
Mar 27, 2008 Tripmastermonkey rated it it was amazing
this book is HELLA fun. bungling CIA agents are the bad guys (like in real life, right?). a pair of Mexican and American Jewish journalists, and a pair of old comrades- a Spanish anarchist and Ukranian (? i might be remembering wrong) communist- are the good guys.

throw in some references to Laurel and Hardy, a PhD student with outlandish dissertation topics, and a pirate story within the story, and you have a great book.
Jim
Oct 08, 2010 Jim rated it really liked it
Excellent read. As you are reading this, you find yourself wondering how on earth it all ties. together. This is well done, and ties together quite well, although I must admit I am tempted to put this on re-read list to see I I figured it out correctely.
Δώρος Αντωνιάδης
Πραγματικά περίπλοκο. Αδυνατούσα να συλλάβω πως όλοι αυτοί οι ήρωες θα δέσουν, θα γίνουν συστατικά της ίδιας συνταγής. Και όμως, έγινε! Από τα μυθιστορήματα που σε κάνουν να αναρωτιέσαι ποιο μυαλό μπορεί να συλλάβει τέτοια πολυπλοκότητα (και στον αντίποδα γιατί το δικό σου μπορεί τυχόν να πλάσει μόλις κάτι στοιχειώδες…) και να την ολοκληρώσει/ παρουσιάσει χωρίς κενά.

Αξίζει να το διαβάσει κανείς, για να «μπει» και στο (νέο) Λατινοαμερικάνικο αστυνομικό μυθιστόρημα και να αναγνωρίσει τις μεγάλες δ
Under_rubble
Enjoyed the hell out of it. But have no desire to write about it.
Nikos79
May 26, 2013 Nikos79 rated it it was ok
I 'm not really a fan of detective or crime novels. Although when it happens to read these kind of books I have this problem. I like almost most of them, just a few seem uninteresting to me, and less make me love them. Unfortunately this one was one of them which didn't manage to impress me. I had this book many days next to my bed, and when I was taking it to my hands for reading it was very easy for me to put it down after a few pages or paragraphs. It's not a really easy reading I think, and ...more
Maria Kottari
Dec 18, 2014 Maria Kottari rated it liked it
A very innovative and clever setting for a novel though I find it hard to follow all the information given and I found,many times, myself lost in the traces of narration after one day of reading pause. I have enriched my knowledge on Latin America politics through personal research insprired by the novel.
Brett Bydairk
May 09, 2014 Brett Bydairk rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Another book that requires close attention, as the rather short chapters change viewpoint frequently, but this layered novel by one of Mexico's premier novelists is worth it.
It starts with Stan Laurel observing the assassination of Pancho Villa in 1923, and gets stranger.
Alejandro Ramirez
Sep 14, 2016 Alejandro Ramirez rated it it was amazing
Maestro de maestros. Estilo envidiable y disfrutabilísimo. Una parte lo leí en un jacuzzi en una terraza en Vernon (silver star) con una Kokanee en la mano después de la carrera ciclista 24 horas de adrenalina.
Tav
Jan 09, 2012 Tav rated it really liked it
THIS is fantastic crime/espionage novel... even if you need a degree in central american revolutionary history to truly follow. Taibo II is so intelligent it hurts and the dexterity with which he ties together disparate arcs is a wonder to behold. Four Hands is a bit of a patchwork, and with the abundance of characters and histories it can be daunting, but I quickly became addicted to each of the story lines and found them all rewarding threads in and of themselves. But in that sense I almost ha ...more
Beautyworkshop.gr
Jan 08, 2014 Beautyworkshop.gr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For Taibo's lovers only: a bit confusing plot, needs to focus on to get it right. On the other hand, it is to brilliantly written, that everything falls into place, in the end.
Raziel
Jul 20, 2015 Raziel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gustaría que usted lo viera así. La mente es una cárcel, la sociedad frecuentemente es una estructura carcelaria y usted ha propuesto la fuga universal. (Lucius Kellerman) p. 290
Hilary
Feb 19, 2007 Hilary rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: if you like complicated things
my smart friend josh macphee told me to read this- thanks josh. if you find conspiracies interesting, read this.
Mark
Apr 28, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i forget what number taibo ii book this is for me. file under meta-speculative-historical-dectective novel.
Gregory
Nov 21, 2009 Gregory rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I love his detective novels, but this book bored me to the point that I stopped reading.
Bülent Kale
May 03, 2008 Bülent Kale rated it it was amazing
Uno de los mejores de Taibo II. Muy divertido.
Victoria
Sep 13, 2007 Victoria rated it did not like it
Just couldn't get into it.
Derek
May 07, 2009 Derek rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: jason sheets
possibly one of the best books I've read
Yadi
Yadi marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Bernardo Trujillo
Bernardo Trujillo rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Javier  Fernández
Javier Fernández marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Victor H Aguilar C
Victor H Aguilar C is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
José
José rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Katerina Androulidaki
Katerina Androulidaki is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2016
Sisyphus
Sisyphus rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2016
LuisCarlos VerveryVargas
LuisCarlos VerveryVargas is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2016
  • The Unseen
  • La trilogie Fabio Montale: Total Khéops, Chourmo, Solea
  • Murder in the Central Committee
  • Super Imperialism - New Edition: The Origin and Fundamentals of U.S. World Dominance
  • Ψωμί, παιδεία, ελευθερία (Η Τριλογία της Κρίσεως, #3 )
  • The Invention of the White Race: The Origin of Racial Oppression in Anglo-America (Volume 2) (Haymarket Series)
  • Morituri
  • A History of Contemporary Italy: Society and Politics, 1943-1988
  • Maigret Afraid
  • El vuelo de la reina
  • The London Hanged: Crime and Civil Society in the Eighteenth Century
Paco Ignacio Taibo II, birth name Francisco Ignacio Taibo Mahojo, is a popular Mexican writer and novelist. He is the son of the late journalist Paco Ignacio Taibo I.
More about Paco Ignacio Taibo II...